Windows 7 is.....

2»

Comments

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Brisk. wrote:
    Windows 7 is great, got a unlimited free professional licence as im a computing student.

I used a Mac properly today for the first time and i can say its the biggest pile of shite ever, just everything sucks! However i was suprised with reboot times but i never turn my pc off these days so meh.

I've never been a Mac person, but recently in one of my multimedia classes we have a Mac lab one day a week, and at first I thought same thing merely out of frustration. However, after several uses and just adapting to the slight difference in controls...I kind of enjoy the Mac's. I guess it just takes some getting used to but I'm sure it just straight up doesn't work for some people.

Then again, for the career I'm seeking being versatile is always a strong asset. I guess I just forced myself to get used to it. :?

One thing I will say about PC's is they're easier for business functions. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook (coincidentally Microsoft softwares) are mostly the industry standard. My office just switched over to the whole 2007 suite. I like it, but the entire server was downloading everybody's history from the previous database and the entire server was moving at a ridiculously slow speed.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    scb wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    "they told me it was a Windows problem", gave me the number to Microsoft, microsoft wanted to charge me a fee

That's what's happening to me right now with Dell! :evil: Except they didn't even give me the # to Microsoft; they just told me I need to pay them more money to upgrade to Windows 7. I said it's their problem for selling me a computer that doesn't work properly, whether or not it's Windows that's causing the issue, so they should be responsible for fixing it. But of course the guy is just reading from his script and can't do anything. And we have a hard enough time understanding each other with the language barrier so there's no point in trying to argue further.

I agree, the help desk folks are just reading from a script and can only help so far. I've never had any problems with the folks at Mac, they always stayed on the line and helped me solve any issues. Now I haven't called in years, only called when I made the switch from PC because it was all new. My wife's grandmother just bought a Dell laptop, charged it up and it would not start, so she had to send it back and is waiting for a new one.

I am probably a little bias toward Apple though. Any Apple product I own has never needed to be repaired. I also realize that they are machines assembled by people so they to can fail.

I just hope that they don't sacrifice quality just to lower prices. As evident by the fact my sisters Mac which is 6 years old and still running is nice to see, she also owns an older Mac, if I'm not mistaken it is the emac and was bought when they first came out and has never needed repair, maybe somethings are built to last.

Good luck with Dell and your decision on whether to buy a Mac.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:
    Windows 7 is great, got a unlimited free professional licence as im a computing student.

I used a Mac properly today for the first time and i can say its the biggest pile of shite ever, just everything sucks! However i was suprised with reboot times but i never turn my pc off these days so meh.

I've never been a Mac person, but recently in one of my multimedia classes we have a Mac lab one day a week, and at first I thought same thing merely out of frustration. However, after several uses and just adapting to the slight difference in controls...I kind of enjoy the Mac's. I guess it just takes some getting used to but I'm sure it just straight up doesn't work for some people.

Then again, for the career I'm seeking being versatile is always a strong asset. I guess I just forced myself to get used to it. :?

One thing I will say about PC's is they're easier for business functions. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook (coincidentally Microsoft softwares) are mostly the industry standard. My office just switched over to the whole 2007 suite. I like it, but the entire server was downloading everybody's history from the previous database and the entire server was moving at a ridiculously slow speed.

But you can use Microsoft Office on Macs too, no?
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Good luck with Dell and your decision on whether to buy a Mac.

Thanks! :)
  • vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    the helpdesks for the big manufacturers do not support software.
    your warranty is a hardware only warranty, and any number of things can cause software corruption, and therefore they do not support it.

it is annoying that a lot of them now do not ship windows dvd,s instead forcing you to create your own rescue disks, which nobody ever does. seriously it costs nothing for them to produce the media, and the money you pay for the OS when you buy it is for the licence, not the disk.

I am running windows 7 professional 64 bit on a 12 month old hp laptop, and it is great. uses a lot less resources than vista ever did
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    The only thing worse than Windows is a MAC. I use both regularly and hate them.

By choice at home I use Ubuntu Linux. Much better than either of those OSs.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
    scb wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:

You can. I tried the Microsoft Office softwares on the Macs at my school but I like the PC versions much better...I find them to be more user friendly.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    scb wrote:

You can. I tried the Microsoft Office softwares on the Macs at my school but I like the PC versions much better...I find them to be more user friendly.

Good to know. I didn't realize they were different.
    scb wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    scb wrote:

Good to know. I didn't realize they were different.

I didn't really investigate to find out the exact differences, but when I opened it up it was nothing like the 2007 Windows suite. I think it's a special format for Mac's... :?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    scb wrote:
    Just got my free copy of Windows 7, so I'll let you know how I like it in a few days!

*happy dance*

:D:D

May I ask how you obtained a free copy? And is there a way I could do the same? I am still runnning crappy vista...Cant really afford an upgrade given my current situation, but I HATE vista...Thanks for any help...:-)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • scb wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:

you can, but they';re not the same...or so i've read.
    i've looked into excel for mac, and it got hideous reviews.
    that said, i've gone from PC to mac, and i love, love, love my mac. what dc says is my experience; at first it's a bit frustrating, b/c i was ingrained in PC usage for so long, it's just different. however, now...i really prefer my imac overall. i still use a PC at work, but i soooo enjoy working with my imac more.

i always, always, always wanted a mac as i was an art major. hubby wanted a PC. we went PC. finally we went mac and he is so happy and thrilled with it! i think for business you go PC, for art you go mac. however, for home use i think a mac works for all, b/c they do have their own suite of office tools that you can easily learn. apple is GREAT with having easy to use programs plus LOTs of support at your fingertips - online tutorials and the like. i think mac is simply more intuitive. however, when you come from being a solid PC user, it takes time to adjust. once you get a feel for it tho, i find...you fall in love! :mrgreen:

my imac is the most beautiful thing!
    :lol:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,979
    Windows 7 is..... another attempt to Macify the PC experience. Checked it out the other day. It was Maccish. :shh:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    that said, i've gone from PC to mac, and i love, love, love my mac. what dc says is my experience; at first it's a bit frustrating, b/c i was ingrained in PC usage for so long, it's just different. however, now...i really prefer my imac overall. i still use a PC at work, but i soooo enjoy working with my imac more.

i always, always, always wanted a mac as i was an art major. hubby wanted a PC. we went PC. finally we went mac and he is so happy and thrilled with it! i think for business you go PC, for art you go mac. however, for home use i think a mac works for all, b/c they do have their own suite of office tools that you can easily learn. apple is GREAT with having easy to use programs plus LOTs of support at your fingertips - online tutorials and the like. i think mac is simply more intuitive. however, when you come from being a solid PC user, it takes time to adjust. once you get a feel for it tho, i find...you fall in love! :mrgreen:

As an art major myself, I think next year, or maybe sometime later this year I'll get a Mac. FYI for those who are students, for 2010 and I believe 2011 if you buy a computer, it qualifies as a write-off for taxes. But you have to be a student. :thumbup:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • imalive wrote:
    Windows 7 is..... another attempt to Macify the PC experience. Checked it out the other day. It was Maccish. :shh:

They would do well to Macify the PC experience. The OS upgrade for $25 would be a good start.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • dcfaithful wrote:

As an art major myself, I think next year, or maybe sometime later this year I'll get a Mac. FYI for those who are students, for 2010 and I believe 2011 if you buy a computer, it qualifies as a write-off for taxes. But you have to be a student. :thumbup:

apple also offers educational discounts. i know when i taught i got my ipod for less. :mrgreen:
    thankfully, they also offer corporate discounts and my firm is one of em, so when we purhased our imac in october, got the discount. 8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

scb wrote:
    Just got my free copy of Windows 7, so I'll let you know how I like it in a few days!

*happy dance*

:D:D

May I ask how you obtained a free copy? And is there a way I could do the same? I am still runnning crappy vista...Cant really afford an upgrade given my current situation, but I HATE vista...Thanks for any help...:-)

I work at a university and they have what they call a Microsoft Campus Agreement, which provides upgrades of Windows software to staff, faculty, and students for use at home.

I feel for ya man... :(
    dcfaithful wrote:

Do you know if this goes for 2009 taxes as well? *crosses fingers*
    scb wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

I'm not sure :?

Do you have an accountant? If not, I could ask mine for you? Perhaps calling like H&R Block might get you the answer? Surely they know more about taxes than I do. :P
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    scb wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

I'm not sure :?

Do you have an accountant? If not, I could ask mine for you? Perhaps calling like H&R Block might get you the answer? Surely they know more about taxes than I do. :P

Thanks for the info and the offer. I'll look into it! :)
  • know1 wrote:
    The only thing worse than Windows is a MAC. I use both regularly and hate them.

By choice at home I use Ubuntu Linux. Much better than either of those OSs.
    I enjoy using Linux too.

Although I am officially a supporter of the Microsoft products since I am a software developer using Microsoft technologies exclusively.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    loooove it.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.