what do you guys think ?????,,this is getting crazy....

2»

Comments

• PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    I have a few I believe... I'll check my storage and pm u
  • I would start by getting a few posters and doing a test run. It doesn't make sense to buy all of them right away and -then- try to figure out how to do it without ruining them. You might get frustrated and not go through with it.

you're basically trying to decoupage with posters. I've done a wall with newspaper clippings... used watered down wallpaper paste and after everything was totally dried, coated it with 2 coats of water based poly. The wetness of everything made the newspaper ink bleed a little bit.

For your needs, wallpaper paste might not work because the posters are pretty thick. Something called "Mod Podge" might work.. it's a really thick glue and you can also use it for sealing. The glossy finish is really shiny... I'd go with the Matt. Oil based poly will yellow over time so stay away from that and make sure that whatever sealer you use won't yellow or flake. Mod Podge will make things bleed as well.

There are good spray sealers out there that might help with any bleeding... there are also good spray adhesives for paper. (drywall corner bead adhesive might work!) You'd want to start with totally flat posters.

You definitely want to play around with it and try different mediums until you find things that will work. You might get the posters up and sealed but you don't want them falling down in a few months!

Good luck, post pics if you go through with it.
  • dude, this sounds so cool... i wish i had a room i could have done like this...

I hope that you pull this off, I'd love to see the finished product.
    -one thing to remember, always have a good time, all the time
  • joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    I would start by getting a few posters and doing a test run. It doesn't make sense to buy all of them right away and -then- try to figure out how to do it without ruining them. You might get frustrated and not go through with it.

you're basically trying to decoupage with posters. I've done a wall with newspaper clippings... used watered down wallpaper paste and after everything was totally dried, coated it with 2 coats of water based poly. The wetness of everything made the newspaper ink bleed a little bit.

For your needs, wallpaper paste might not work because the posters are pretty thick. Something called "Mod Podge" might work.. it's a really thick glue and you can also use it for sealing. The glossy finish is really shiny... I'd go with the Matt. Oil based poly will yellow over time so stay away from that and make sure that whatever sealer you use won't yellow or flake. Mod Podge will make things bleed as well.

There are good spray sealers out there that might help with any bleeding... there are also good spray adhesives for paper. (drywall corner bead adhesive might work!) You'd want to start with totally flat posters.

You definitely want to play around with it and try different mediums until you find things that will work. You might get the posters up and sealed but you don't want them falling down in a few months!

Good luck, post pics if you go through with it.

thanks for advice ..you sound like you know what your talking about ...in the home improvement biz??. i am trying some ideas now ... i think the 3M spray glue works the best so far ..its not wet at all... i got one down then i ran a 24"rubber roller over ...LOOKS REALLY GOOD .... the other glue i was going to use is VCT/linoleum glue adhesive ..it goes on really wet but you have to let it "dry" for about an hour turns into a "snot" like tacky glue...once its dry you got only one shot to get it down the way you want it ...dont even think about peeling it off....the only other issue is "sealing" them ..... havent tried that yet. i think a basic rustoleum clear spray will work....what you think?
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
    just got emails from EMEK and JUSTIN HAMPTON .... . 1 & 2 in the world if you ask me ...respectfully

they both said they would be more then willing to send a" SHIT LOAD OF POSTERS"..... ones that they felt where not up to par and took out and put aside...................kinda like BKs dent & scratch.

THIS IS A POSTER COLLECTORS WET DREAM .

i have been wanting to purchase an EMEK poster for a long time but there $$$$$ $$$$$$ the good ones that is...... and now im having conversations with the guy over email and hes willing to send me about 20 of them ....soooo effin cool

and if i have any left over i would be more then willing to dump on the board.. to you guys .....
  • Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    Can't wait for the 'dumping'...I'll try to be positioned up wind, but still, should be awesome. I hope you post some pics of your project here for all to view and not just your homies..

what am I thinking, of course you will, why else would you be posting on a public forum..
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
  • joe2468 wrote:

thanks for advice ..you sound like you know what your talking about ...in the home improvement biz??. i am trying some ideas now ... i think the 3M spray glue works the best so far ..its not wet at all... i got one down then i ran a 24"rubber roller over ...LOOKS REALLY GOOD .... the other glue i was going to use is VCT/linoleum glue adhesive ..it goes on really wet but you have to let it "dry" for about an hour turns into a "snot" like tacky glue...once its dry you got only one shot to get it down the way you want it ...dont even think about peeling it off....the only other issue is "sealing" them ..... havent tried that yet. i think a basic rustoleum clear spray will work....what you think?

krylon has a good low odor clear finish (matte) sealer that's good for indoor use.

You've had the weekend to work on this; how's it going?
  • weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,292
    if you still need some, I can send over a tube of about 8-12 posters/handbills, just cover shipping+packing materials (probably around $15-20). they wouldn't be anything great, but give you something to test out your idea with
    joe2468 wrote:

krylon has a good low odor clear finish (matte) sealer that's good for indoor use.

You've had the weekend to work on this; how's it going?

i havent even started yet..im still in the auto cad (drafting) phase....im going to start in march and should be done by april ... got a lot of crazy ideas on my lighting and the bar ...its going to be cool i promise
  • titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    i remember when i was younger, living with my mam, one of my bedroom wall was just covered in metallica postser, done in the way your talking about, at different angles, overlapping etc.. even some picture discs, have to say it looked pretty f-ing cool. good idea, i have an old shop attached to my house, and one day if i ever have the spare cash, i'd like to get it converted into a games room(probably never happen), and i'd like to decorate it in this style.

you'll have to post some pics when your done.
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • wnh1977wnh1977 Posts: 618
    Maybe you could frame the more expensive posters and use the cheaper ones ($10 or less) as the wallpaper around the framed pieces?

I wouldn't dare use my Pearl Jam concert posters as wallpaper, but that's just me. It does sound like an awesome idea though1
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006: 5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
    2024: 5/18, 6/29
    edited March 2010
    HOLLY SHT HOLLY SHIT HOYYL SHIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EMEK SENT ME A TON OF POSTERS !!!!!!!! AND I ask HIM IF HE had any of the SANTA barbara bowl posters from 06 ..you know the ones that go for about $4,000 ...... and IF he did he could rip it up and i would be more then happy with it

in the mail today i got a 6" tube FULL OF POSTERS ......TOOL. RED HOT CHILI PEPERS QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE ...... you name it i got it ..... ill type up the list later ....still drooling over the print TORN INOT THREE PEICES ... most of the posters are singned AND DOODLED !!!!

here is the link to the santa barbara poster ..
    http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s240 ... 010645.jpg
    http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s240 ... 010646.jpg
    Post edited by joe2468 on
    im not going to lie but i think i just might frame the santa Barbara poster AS IT IS ......
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    joe2468 wrote:
    HOLLY SHT HOLLY SHIT HOYYL SHIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EMEK SENT ME A TON OF POSTERS !!!!!!!! AND I ask HIM IF HE had any of the SANTA barbara bowl posters from 06 ..you know the ones that go for about $4,000 ...... and he did he could rip it up and i would be more then happy with it

in the mail today i got a 6" tube FULL OF POSTERS ......TOOL. RED HOT CHILI PEPERS QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE ...... you name it i got it ..... ill type up the list later ....still drooling over the print TORN INOT THREE PEICES ... most of the posters are singned AND DOODLED !!!!

here is the link to the santa barbara poster ..
    http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s240 ... 010645.jpg
    http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s240 ... 010646.jpg
    HOLY SHIT JOE THATS FN AWESOME!!!!!!!!
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    YOU DONT EVEN KNOW .... it was the first poster i saw ..i almost SHAT MY SELF......i got so many good posters ..some i cant even find whats wrong with them ..other say "display" in the lower left hand corner....one or two or some fold lines... BUT WHO THE EFF CARES ......I GOT A SANTA BARBARA BOWL POSTER other then the fact thats it torn into three pieces ..ITS PERFECT :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    joe2468 wrote:
    YOU DONT EVEN KNOW .... it was the first poster i saw ..i almost SHAT MY SELF......i got so many good posters ..some i cant even find whats wrong with them ..other say "display" in the lower left hand corner....one or two or some fold lines... BUT WHO THE EFF CARES ......I GOT A SANTA BARBARA BOWL POSTER other then the fact thats it torn into three pieces ..ITS PERFECT :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Anything you don't end up using I'd absolutely be interested in. Also, when this is all done, you gotta post some pics. Can't wait to see how this whole thing turns out.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    im still waiting for posters from Justin Hampton (30 or more)...Jermaine Rogers (20-30) and Kozik (20) as of now i got a few i would give a way ... like DAVE MATTHEWS BAND poster from "summer tour" 2004 singed ..in perfect shape if you ask me..has a geisha girl on it ........

but im going to wait to see how many i got and see how it lays out ....and IF I HAVE ANY LEFT i will be gladly to send it to anyone for the price of shipping
    does anyone know how to take out the scuff marks on black posters ...you know when the scuff up against another poster .. got TWO TOOL posters from the 06 tour i would love to see if they would clean up a little
  • shepshep Posts: 5,765
    joe2468 wrote:
    does anyone know how to take out the scuff marks on black posters ...you know when the scuff up against another poster .. got TWO TOOL posters from the 06 tour i would love to see if they would clean up a little

Man, comgrats on the score... I am so jealous of that Santa barbra... I agree with the other guy on the board here that said you should frame it as is... I would...

If you don't use the tool ones I would love to get my hands on any of EMEKs tool posters... Please let me know if you part with them...

I just got my hands on my first emek print the other day... The coachella 2007. I was at the show and never even knew it existed until about 6 weeks ago. I bought one about 3 weeks ago, and just got it back from the framer over the weekend... Was going to post a pick up on the framed poster thread tonight... I know it's not a PJ poster, but I thought some people might like to see my first EMEK...

Comgrats on the score man... Treasure that thing... And send me the tool posters!
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Gozzo64Gozzo64 Posts: 120
    sounds like a great idea...you can't take them with you...maximize your enjoyment of them.
    Gozzo
    Montreal '98
    Toronto '00
    Buffalo Toronto '03
    Kitchener London Hamilton Toronto '05
    Late Show NYC Toronto x2 Cleveland Pittsburgh Mountain View '06
    Hartford Mansfield '08
    Toronto Philadelphia x3 '09
    Cleveland Buffalo Mountain View x2 '10
    East Troy x2 Toronto x2 Ottawa Hamilton '11
    London Buffalo '13
    shep wrote:
    joe2468 wrote:

Man, comgrats on the score... I am so jealous of that Santa barbra... I agree with the other guy on the board here that said you should frame it as is... I would...

If you don't use the tool ones I would love to get my hands on any of EMEKs tool posters... Please let me know if you part with them...

I just got my hands on my first emek print the other day... The coachella 2007. I was at the show and never even knew it existed until about 6 weeks ago. I bought one about 3 weeks ago, and just got it back from the framer over the weekend... Was going to post a pick up on the framed poster thread tonight... I know it's not a PJ poster, but I thought some people might like to see my first EMEK...

Comgrats on the score man... Treasure that thing... And send me the tool posters!

he sent me a coachella 07 also ...along with a SICK coheed n cambria print .. the one with the skull as a balloon and the heart as the basket (hot air balloon) s/n out of 25.. i think its one of the variants on bone paper ...
    SG72078 wrote:
    sounds like a great idea...you can't take them with you...maximize your enjoyment of them.

i would say out of the 25 he sent me about 2 or 3 or in perfect condition ...the rest have minor minor flaws ...the queens of the stone age print has scuff/scratch marks on the black .... i think i could just "wash" them out
  • shepshep Posts: 5,765
    joe2468 wrote:
    shep wrote:
    joe2468 wrote:

he sent me a coachella 07 also ...along with a SICK coheed n cambria print .. the one with the skull as a balloon and the heart as the basket (hot air balloon) s/n out of 25.. i think its one of the variants on bone paper ...

Once again, jealous. I had to shell out $175 to get my hands on that coachella.

Let me reiterate... if you part with ANY of those EMEKs, please let me know. I will happily pay for shipping + a small reasonable fee for anything you don't use, damaged or no... thanks.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.