what do you guys think ?????,,this is getting crazy....

joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
edited March 2010 in The Porch
im going to start to finish my basement ..i came up with this crazy idea of using concert posters AS WALLPAPER ...... im talking ....gluing them as if they where wallpaper ..over lapping them .turning them in sorts of ways...... not just pearl jam ..i would have to search the web for some cheap shitty condition posters and i would buy some of those rock concert poster books....etc etc ....

what do you guys think... any input would be great

p.s. i seen it in a home mag some guy did it with comics ..he used a lot of first editions ...EVEN A SUPERMAN first edition ........he said one wall had a cost of over $50,000 in comics ...

and i would be willing to purchase some CHEAP posters from anyone looking to get rid of them in the spring

********************************************EDIT**********************************
ok so after contacting a few artiest around the world .... asking them for ANYTHING laying around the shop in ANY shape or form....total fuck ups..wrong ink,ripped, pretty much the crap they would throw out....i got one bite from an artiest that has done SOME posters for pearl jam...TCV..FF...TOOL etc etc he ask me what size my wall was (8'x23') .... he then replied with this .........

You'll need about 45 posters, I can put a package together for you of mixed bag, good stuff no crap.
I dont have any crap. Total USA $ 300 + postage. Works out at about $ 6.6. per poster
Let me know

....what do you guys think should i do it ..or wait for a few other artiest to reply to my emails ...caue i would really like a bunch of different artiest ...not just one......

********************************** EDIT*********************************
email reply FROM ANOTHER WELL KNOWN...I MEAN WELL KNOWN POSTER ARTEST ........

Cool idea! I always have imperfect posters on hand that I set aside. If you're into some random posters of various levels of imperfection I can hook you up with a grab bag. How many are you looking for? I think I can hook you up with 30 or so...maybe more. How about $200 for the bunch and shipping included? . You have to send me photos once it's all put together.

THIS IS GETTING CRAZY !!!!!!!!!!!!! SOMETHING TELLS ME I WILL HAVE FEW LEFT OVER ...and i would be more then willing to give away IF THE ARTEST GIVES ME THE OK..........

EDIT march 22 EDIT ....Got 25 posters from EMEK today ... i got Tool, Queens of the stone age, Pixies,Dave mathews,Beck ,Death cab for cutie, and this ......

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s240 ... 010646.jpg
have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    it would be cool. the place where i get my hair cut has this look. just hundreds of music posters all over the place covering every inch. it looks sweet. they have two pj posters in the mix too. the famous ed leaning on jeff poster and avocado album cover. looks dope. i say you do it for sure. you could find cheap posters easy, band doesn't really matter as long as it's music. then use some of your favorite posters as focal points. go for it and post pics!
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • The idea may sound good, but how long will the posters last before you have to tear them off the wall? Not sure about this....IMO-The guy with the Superman room is nuts!! $50k for a wall.....I guess if you have it... :crazy: :crazy:
  • joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    i was thinking after i put them all on the wall ..i would spray a clear coat over them...so it would like a shinny piece of glass
  • My real concern is it is your basement, which is likely more apt to get water, or mold vs. other parts of your home. Just hate to see you dump $$$ into something that will be garbage in a few years should a water pipe break, etc....

He said-Vs. and Water Pipe in the same post.... :lol:

Best of luck whatever you decide...The clear coat...not sure about how effective that would be...
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,325
    joe2468 wrote:
    im going to start to finish my basement ..i came up with this crazy idea of using concert posters AS WALLPAPER ...... im talking ....gluing them as if they where wallpaper ..over lapping them .turning them in sorts of ways...... not just pearl jam ..i would have to search the web for some cheap shitty condition posters and i would buy some of those rock concert poster books....etc etc ....

p.s. i seen it in a home mag some guy did it with comics ..he used a lot of first editions ...EVEN A SUPERMAN first edition ........he said one wall had a cost of over $50,000 in comics ...

and i would be willing to purchase some CHEAP posters from anyone looking to get rid of them in the spring
    Great idea. Start with these.
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=96872&start=30
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Great idea. Start with these.
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=96872&start=30
    :lol:

Seriously though, please don't use expensive and beautiful Ames, Klausen, et al. You'll regret it.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    to clear things up im a custom home builder on long island . .....and as for the worry about water pipes breaking ..there are no pipes near the places where the walls will be built ..and as for mold/moisture issue . the basement is temperature controlled .... i plan on making it my MAN CAVE .. im making it sound proof card/music/theater .. going to be a layer of rubber on the studs then "quitrock/soundboard" on the walls ...you will be able to drop a bomb and you wont hear a thing up stairs .... i have built a few HIGH END custom theaters in multi million dollar homes.... so im not worried about anything getting effed up

and trust me im not going use high priced posters....ill even use creased/torn/ripped up ones ...... so if anyone has ANY KIND OF poster they are willing to get rid of IN ANY CONDITION i would be more then willing to purchase it from you ..

the only question how to seal them with some kind of clear coat......
  • That makes about as much sense as plastering a guitar with Pearl Jam stickers! :lol::lol::lol:
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
    :lol::lol::lol::lol: its not going to be just pearl jam ...ANY BAND (that i like)
  • That would be awesome hell yea do it!
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,439
    Why not take the route of framing those poster's cheaply? No matte finishes, cheap metal edges & ask and check out Costco or Kent's/Home Depot's frame shop stores for discount's on a mass frame job. You are a custom home builder right? You do get contractor discount's @ various shop's right? We all do in the construction field. ;)

Though I've seen 10club's poster room and the whole place is plastered with poster's on the walls. :mrgreen:
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    joe2468 wrote:
    to clear things up im a custom home builder on long island . .....and as for the worry about water pipes breaking ..there are no pipes near the places where the walls will be built ..and as for mold/moisture issue . the basement is temperature controlled .... i plan on making it my MAN CAVE .. im making it sound proof card/music/theater .. going to be a layer of rubber on the studs then "quitrock/soundboard" on the walls ...you will be able to drop a bomb and you wont hear a thing up stairs .... i have built a few HIGH END custom theaters in multi million dollar homes.... so im not worried about anything getting effed up

and trust me im not going use high priced posters....ill even use creased/torn/ripped up ones ...... so if anyone has ANY KIND OF poster they are willing to get rid of IN ANY CONDITION i would be more then willing to purchase it from you ..

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/4636/bathroomfulloi5.jpg\
  • Wilds wrote:
    joe2468 wrote:

:o :thumbdown:
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Wilds wrote:
    joe2468 wrote:

:o :thumbdown:

:shock: :x :lol:
  • Okay Wilds, I have to ask...whats the story with this? Its killing me.
    Okay Wilds, I have to ask...whats the story with this? Its killing me.

Those posters were commissioned by the promoter (Nederlander Marketing) for the 06 Santa Barbara show. When Pearl Jam's management found out, they put a halt to the sale, because they were not 'official' sanctioned posters approved by the band.

So some were destroyed, none were put out for sale, and some of the Nederlander marketing people got them. I guess there might be less than 50, and certainly less than 100 in the world.

So there was a huge demand for these with absolutely no market. The three or four that have found their way onto the market have sold for $1,500 - $3,500 per poster.

EMEK, the designer, was inundated with people wanting these. He was badgered and pestered and it became a bit of a bother to him.

So whatever event that picture is from, EMEK tore 4 posters apart as an artistic expression. It's hard to read, but they say something like, 'they're just posters people'. As in chill the fuck out.

But on top of the fact that these are so rare/scarce, it is a kick ass fucking poster. So still highly sought after.

This is a picture from the thread on Ex. Beans.

-Wilds
  • Wilds wrote:

Those posters were commissioned by the promoter (Nederlander Marketing) for the 06 Santa Barbara show. When Pearl Jam's management found out, they put a halt to the sale, because they were not 'official' sanctioned posters approved by the band.

So some were destroyed, none were put out for sale, and some of the Nederlander marketing people got them. I guess there might be less than 50, and certainly less than 100 in the world.

So there was a huge demand for these with absolutely no market. The three or four that have found their way onto the market have sold for $1,500 - $3,500 per poster.

EMEK, the designer, was inundated with people wanting these. He was badgered and pestered and it became a bit of a bother to him.

So whatever event that picture is from, EMEK tore 4 posters apart as an artistic expression. It's hard to read, but they say something like, 'they're just posters people'. As in chill the fuck out.

But on top of the fact that these are so rare/scarce, it is a kick ass fucking poster. So still highly sought after.

-Wilds
    Never seen that on EB before. Remarkable story. I noticed the text at the bottom. I need to look at those posters now as a deterrent to buying a print I know I don't need. :lol::lol::lol: Kinda bring me back to reality. Thanks for that.
    Wilds wrote:

-Wilds
    Never seen that on EB before. Remarkable story. I noticed the text at the bottom. I need to look at those posters now as a deterrent to buying a print I know I don't need. :lol::lol::lol: Kinda bring me back to reality. Thanks for that.

Here is mine.

Santa%20Barbara%20EMEK.JPG

I have posters for every show I've attended for Pearl Jam, and it was a real kick in the teeth when I realized what this was and that my collection wouldn't be 'complete' without it.

Here is a link to all my posters.

http://www.nathanwilds.com/Pearl%20Jam%20Posters.htm
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I have no idea if this idea of mine is even possible, but, wouuld it be worth checking the web, getting pics of posters, then seeing if there is a wall paper company that can replicate them. IT might be cheaper, I dunno, just tossing it out there, I have no idea on this subject
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
    pjfan31 wrote:
    I have no idea if this idea of mine is even possible, but, wouuld it be worth checking the web, getting pics of posters, then seeing if there is a wall paper company that can replicate them. IT might be cheaper, I dunno, just tossing it out there, I have no idea on this subject

Not a bad idea at all, and certainly cheaper.

However there are some real cheap posters to be had. $20.00 and less even.

And I think there might be some decent sized replicas in the Ames Book too?

I would appeal to any and everyone who has beat up posters to contact the OP. And perhaps it's worth writing to Ames and letting them know that you are interested in any damaged stock that they might have?
  • craigbcraigb Posts: 806
    Great idea!
    "Speak clearly if you speak at all; carve every word before you let it fall"

Los Angeles 10.7.2009
  • Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    I think your homies will be stoked to hangout in such an awesome basement.
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
    edited February 2010
    ok so after contacting a few artiest around the world .... asking them for ANYTHING laying around the shop in ANY shape or form....total fuck ups..wrong ink,ripped, pretty much the crap they would throw out....i got one bite from an artiest that has done SOME posters for pearl jam...TCV..FF...TOOL etc etc he ask me what size my wall was (8'x23') .... he then replied with this .........

You'll need about 45 posters, I can put a package together for you of mixed bag, good stuff no crap.
    I dont have any crap. Total USA $ 300 + postage. Works out at about $ 6.6. per poster
    Let me know
    [/i]

....what do you guys think should i do it ..or wait for a few other artiest to reply to my emails ...caue i would really like a bunch of different artiest ...not just one......
    Post edited by joe2468 on
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    joe2468 wrote:

check out an art store.. there's tons of sprays you could use to preserve the posters from fading ect...I think if you wanted a "glass" look.. you might have to epoxy them all but that might take some time and alot of $
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    joe2468 wrote:

That sounds very cool then do the ceiling in album jackets too- from all the decades- I've seen this at a bar on Tybee Island- it was awesome-if I ever get so lucky to own a bar I'm doin it.
  • it'd be really cool if they could make all the past tour posters, floor or wall tiles instead; or just the Tom Tomorrow 'Backspacer' themed floor or wall tiles. That'd be epic! Pearl Jam tiled rooms! Yes.
    04-22-92
    08-04-92
    03-28-94
    08-09-00
    08-27-00
    04-13-03
    06-12-08

"maybe it me or it maybe you"
    :lol::lol::lol:
    it'd be really cool if they could make all the past tour posters, floor or wall tiles instead; or just the Tom Tomorrow 'Backspacer' themed floor or wall tiles. That'd be epic! Pearl Jam tiled rooms! Yes.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    another reply from what i would say TOP FIVE ARTIEST OUT THERE...............

Cool idea! I always have imperfect posters on hand that I set aside. If you're into some random posters of various levels of imperfection I can hook you up with a grab bag. How many are you looking for? I think I can hook you up with 30 or so...maybe more. How about $200 for the bunch and shipping included? . You have to send me photos once it's all put together.

i would be more then willing to spread the love to the board if i have extras ....and the artiest approves of it
  • joe2468 wrote:
    another reply from what i would say TOP FIVE ARTIEST OUT THERE...............

i would be more then willing to spread the love to the board if i have extras ....and the artiest approves of it
    Good stuff! Hope it all works out. You gotta show us all what the finished product looks like.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    look up Dan Grzeca he sells dent and ding tube a lot and you get 5/6 posters for 30-40 bucks a lot of the time

IO have a bunch of extras I'd sell for 5 a pop, they are from his dent dings

http://www.expressobeans.com/members/co ... p?id=10954

anything by Grzeca not Black Keys or Explosions in the sky I would sell.

I counted 18 of them, I'd sell all 18 to you for 75 plus shipping. know they are dent ding posters so they have random ink splashes and some defects, but to hang on your wall they'd be great. Lot of Chicago local bands