Options

ed helped put bush in the white house

eyecanwalkeyecanwalk Posts: 707
edited February 2008 in The Porch
i've thought long & hard about posting this so here it goes i wish it could more detailed but to hard for me to type....

last time he d pushed nader , he pushed him hard in florida when they played here telling everyone to vote for nader thus taking very valubale vote away from gore & thats how bush won , so if you look at it that way gore lost florida, lost the election & ed put bush in office, bush started the war & it put us where we are today.

do the math 2 shows 25,000-30,000 each show even 5000 votes changed from ed's encouragement & volia bush just wins humm....

so let the hate mail fly at me but anyone that was at the two florida shows will say the same thing.

this is nothing directed at ed but thats how much influence he has over people.

i love the band before & after but if he would have pushed people to vote gore rather than nader the world might be different

no offense to you ed if you read this but if you dont belive me dr. sharon had the exact same thoughts...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    You're right...
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i can see what you're saying.
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    eyecanwalk wrote:
    do the math 2 shows 25,000-30,000 each show even 5000 votes changed from ed's encouragement & volia bush just wins humm....
    that's really optimistic to think ed is influencing 5,000 votes.

i love ed as much as the next guy but i'd never vote for nader just because he told me to.
  • Options
    ppl. have been posting about this for years. i think ed was even asked about it in an interview and he was like yeah...

anyways, he'll be out of the wh soon enough
    "We're heavily Hemingway inspired." -ed
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    I would bet that most people who voted for Nader, didn't do so because of Ed Vedder.

And what a terrible double edge sword that is; if you vote outside of the standard norm of either the GOP or the Democrats, then you are taking votes away from one party or the other.

A vote for Nader was a vote for Bush - what a crock of shit we have ourselves in when this is the case, ya know?
  • Options
    No doubt. Most people who voted/supported for Nader in 2000 (including me) regret the vote. I don't know about Ed himself having enough influence to change the election. It was a error in judgement though. Not that Ed, I or anyone else that supported Nader didn't have good intentions.
    tacos
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    edited July 2012
    Post edited by Fahka on
  • Options
    eyecanwalk wrote:
    i've thought long & hard about posting this so here it goes i wish it could more detailed but to hard for me to type....

last time he d pushed nader , he pushed him hard in florida when they played here telling everyone to vote for nader thus taking very valubale vote away from gore & thats how bush won , so if you look at it that way gore lost florida, lost the election & ed put bush in office, bush started the war & it put us where we are today.

so let the hate mail fly at me but anyone that was at the two florida shows will say the same thing.

i love the band before & after but if he would have pushed people to vote gore rather than nader the world might be different

no offense to you ed if you read this but if you dont belive me dr. sharon had the exact same thoughts...
    The title of your post and the contents of your post aren't exactly related.... If Ed helped 5000 people see that Nader was the best choice, it's quite a leap of logic to conclude that that is the reason Bush won. The reason Bush is in office is NOT because he won an election anyway. It's because he and his daddy have friends on the supreme court. It's also because Gore couldn't win his home state. Or Clinton's home state...or because Nader didn't run an even better campaign to get more votes. To blame anyone else is pretty silly and naive.
  • Options
    DixieNDixieN Posts: 351
    Bush won the WH the 2nd time around because people were afraid that a decorated war hero wouldn't defend them the way a draft dodger would. Bush could sell air to people, and they'd line up to buy it.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    Bush won because people voted for Bush. Also, at that time it was inconceivable what happened with 9/11 less than a year later. What would the rest of Bush's term have been like if 9/11 didn't happen? I think less people were willing to vote Bush out of office in 2004 because of the fear that surrounded, and war that resulted from 9/11.

When I voted for Nader I voted for someone who I thought could bring integrity to the face of the US. In 2000 (and 1996 for that matter) I didn't think there was much of difference between a Democrat and a Republican. I don't regret my vote.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    DixieN wrote:
    Bush won the WH the 2nd time around because people were afraid that a decorated war hero wouldn't defend them the way a draft dodger would. Bush could sell air to people, and they'd line up to buy it.

not me.
  • Options
    all im saying it was very close in florida & to say a vote from nader changed to bush is crazy every vote did count in fla. maybe not every else but florida gave it to bush when it should have gone to gore plus it didnt hurt having your brother running the state & we cant forget katharine harris
  • Options
    eyecanwalk wrote:
    all im saying it was very close in florida & to say a vote from nader changed to bush is crazy every vote did count in fla. maybe not every else but florida gave it to bush when it should have gone to gore plus it didnt hurt having your brother running the state & we cant forget katharine harris

Periods and semi-colons are your friend.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    so did a lot of other people...
  • Options
    JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    eyecanwalk wrote:

The same thing could be said about Bill Maher, who also endorsed Nader. Or countless others in the media that may have influenced a large group of voters in Florida.

The point is you could spin this so many different ways, that it's impossible to soley blame one individual. Interesting nonetheless, but not factual.
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • Options
    not blame just the power of suggestion does alot
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Thom Yorke
    was a Nader supporter too
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    The title of your post and the contents of your post aren't exactly related.... If Ed helped 5000 people see that Nader was the best choice, it's quite a leap of logic to conclude that that is the reason Bush won. The reason Bush is in office is NOT because he won an election anyway. It's because he and his daddy have friends on the supreme court. It's also because Gore couldn't win his home state. Or Clinton's home state...or because Nader didn't run an even better campaign to get more votes. To blame anyone else is pretty silly and naive.

Agreed. It's the Dems own fault for putting up Republican Lite candidates time and time again. There's never really much difference in the two. And both parties will continue to support war efforts. And to hear some talk around here, you should never vote for who you believe in...just vote against the republicans. It's no ones fault but the masses of you guys who refuse to vote for someone worth standing behind. Keep supporting crap candidates til the end of time, if you want. But be sure that I'm going to keep not voting for them.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    iwasthere wrote:
    No doubt. Most people who voted/supported for Nader in 2000 (including me) regret the vote. I don't know about Ed himself having enough influence to change the election. It was a error in judgement though. Not that Ed, I or anyone else that supported Nader didn't have good intentions.
    surely the church of whatever religions people are "involved with" had more influence on MORE people... than 5,000 that Ed may or may not have influenced...
  • Options
    Also, the Dems problem has always been how completely half-assed they are. They focus so much on trying to attract swing voters or take away republican votes that they stop appealing to many of their own supporters on the left or the millions of apathetic would be voters out there who see through their shit and don't bother coming out to vote between a giant douche or a shit sandwich. They cease to stand FOR something but go more for the 'at least I'm not as bad as that guy' attitude. And you don't see republicans doing that. And man, I can't stand republicans...but I respect that they're not too chicken shit to stand behind their ideals.

It's always the Democratic candidates own fault if they are so uninspiring they can't manage to beat the likes of Bush and McCain. Any other excuse is a copout.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Nader is the millionaire hippies' friend.
  • Options
    The more I think about it, the more I think this thread should be not only moved to the MT but also nominated as "Most ridiculous thread of the day". I'd say "of the week...or month...or year" if it weren't for the daily Ron Paul threads all over the fucking place.

But seriously, the ONLY things responsible for the chimp running this country are the morons who voted for him and the plague of corruption in washington, ie. the supreme court.

It's not Nader's fault. It's not Gore's fault. It's not Kerry's fault. It's not God's fault. It's not Darwin's fault. It's not Ed's fault. And it's certainly not my fault. Wanna blame someone? Blame the ignorant fucks that voted for Bush.
  • Options
    "His most notable run, in 2000, won 2.7 percent of the national vote, along with anger from Democrats who thought he tipped Florida -- and the presidency -- from Al Gore to George Bush. In fact, Gore won Florida, only to have the results manipulated into Bush's column by the Republican nominee's many allies in state government, with an assist from the Supreme Court."

Thank You, THE NATION:

http://www.thenation.com/blogs/campaignmatters?bid=45&pid=289420
    Throw Your Hatred Down
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    "His most notable run, in 2000, won 2.7 percent of the national vote, along with anger from Democrats who thought he tipped Florida -- and the presidency -- from Al Gore to George Bush. In fact, Gore won Florida, only to have the results manipulated into Bush's column by the Republican nominee's many allies in state government, with an assist from the Supreme Court."

Thank You, THE NATION:

http://www.thenation.com/blogs/campaignmatters?bid=45&pid=289420

under florida law there MUST be a recount if an election is decided by .1%, the 2000 election was a lot smaller than that, so legally there should've been a recount but the republicans fought and the supreme court overruled state law....

which was odd considering their 180 w/ the recall election in california and their cries of how horrid it is to use the courts to interfere w/ state law and elections
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    There's never really much difference in the two.

I think we've established that there is a difference between the two. If you are still confused on the matter, see the election of 2000.

So many things went wrong in 2000, and there is so much blame to go around (the Supreme Court, John Ellis, Florida recount, butterfly ballots, Katherine Harris and Nader voters), that I can't blame a musician too.
  • Options
    Westernsky wrote:
    I think we've established that there is a difference between the two. If you are still confused on the matter, see the election of 2000

The election of 2000 is supposed to be proof of how the two major parties are so different? Gore and Bush really weren't too different, imo. Especially considering the platform Bush was running on at the time, before 9/11.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    KosmicJelliKosmicJelli Posts: 1,855
    voted for Nader in the past ..... had nothing to do with Ed Vedder
  • Options
    I, too - Actually live in Florida. The cable news networks started stating that " Gore won Florida" WHILE those of us living here in the Florida PANHANDLE were STILL doing a little thing called "VOTING!" (Different Time Zone!) PETA thinks Al Gore is a Hypocrite - and so do I. And I promise you - EV had nothing to do with OUR votes.
    The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Gandhi

"Empty pockets will Allow a greater Sense of wealth...." EV/ITW
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Rose1963 wrote:
    I, too - Actually live in Florida. The cable news networks started stating that " Gore won Florida" WHILE those of us living here in the Florida PANHANDLE were STILL doing a little thing called "VOTING!" (Different Time Zone!) PETA thinks Al Gore is a Hypocrite - and so do I. And I promise you - EV had nothing to do with OUR votes.
    ahhhh the two P's
    PETA and Politics.

i'm staying out of this one ;)