Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    Gossard?

Ya?
  • Mr RockoMr Rocko Posts: 647
    Glorified G is one of my favorite PJ songs, but Ed sure was a bitter asshole back in the early days of PJ....writing a song that openly mocks a member of the band is pretty brutal. It's no wonder things didnt work out with Dave.

That's right, but may be the relation that Dave A. and the rest of the band had never was very solid... so this kind of things sooner or later were going to happen. I love that song too, especially the end..."I can feel your heart through your neck, I can STEAL your heart through your neck"
    México 24/11/2011
  • Mr Rocko wrote:
    Glorified G is one of my favorite PJ songs, but Ed sure was a bitter asshole back in the early days of PJ....writing a song that openly mocks a member of the band is pretty brutal. It's no wonder things didnt work out with Dave.

That's right, but may be the relation that Dave A. and the rest of the band had never was very solid... so this kind of things sooner or later were going to happen. I love that song too, especially the end..."I can feel your heart through your neck, I can STEAL your heart through your neck"

By far one of my favorite songs as well. I am all for gun control, but last time I've posted about gun control on this board, the thread got frozen, so lets not do that again. But it does seem like despite the disagreements with the band, Eddie was kind of a dick to Dave, especially towards the end when he was ignoring Dave and drawing mustaches on his magazine cover. I would imagine Dave being something like the annoying guy that pisses people off because he doesn't quite fit in, and Eddie is the jerk (Jeff probably wasn't too nice either) while the others simply put up with it because they were a band rather than just a high school clique.
    Member Number: 437xxx

Pearl Jam:
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Sep 21, 2009
    Pacific Coliseum - Vancouver, BC - Sep 25, 2011
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Dec 6, 2013

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    Benaroya Hall - Seattle, WA - Jul 15, 2011
  • pay a closer look to the last part of that quote..."to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

the whole purpose of the 2nd amendment was if in fact America "failed" and became yet another tyranny, the people had a right to revolt...with arms

at that time in history, all the men owned guns because they used them in the revolutionary war and there was no organized American army, just a bunch of men banding together to fight off the British and become an independent country...the point of the amendment was to say that if for some reason America became something like 18th century England, then the people could use the arms that they own and fight off the unfair and unjust government but last time i checked, we still elect our representatives so hold your fire everyone.

Many of the officials in positions of high power are not elected. They are appointed. (The FDA, the FTC, the CIA- those "alphabet soup" agencies.)

when i said representation, i wasn't talking about government agencies i was talking about congress, the senate, and the president...we all elect those people because they most serve the ideas that their state/district/etc. were in agreement with...and that is proper representation (that is assuming it is not rigged as someone posted above) the Rev War was fought over lack of representation in parliament. there was no person to represent the colonies, so thus King George could do whatever the hell he wanted to the colonies...that's what i meant how we aren't like 18th century England...as of now

but all of that is your own opinion, you can all think the government sucks and what not. i just think when you look at things such as constitutional amendments, you need to look at the historical context of the time it was written. we (and when i say "we" i mean the supreme court (past, present, and future)) have the right to change the interpretations of laws and constitutional amendments because things are different now than it was in the late 1700's. So of course now the amendment is interpreted differently, however, i think it does need to be reinterpreted yet again to allow for safer arms control, yet still giving people the right to own them.
  • The G in in the title without a doubt refers to a "gangsta", but it's tongue and cheek. Gangsta rap was big in 93 and the term G was also very popular back then. "Whats up G" was said by white kids all throughout the country. So yeah, Ed was in part taking a slight stab at the gangsta rap industry by singing about the glorification of guns. The inspiration to write the song may of came from something Dave had said about owning guns but that is besides the point of the question asked.
  • funny how Ed is a patriot.....yet an anti-gun pussy!.....when they convince you you don't need the second amendment....all the others will disappear soon after!

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
    -- Thomas Jefferson

pay a closer look to the last part of that quote..."to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

the whole purpose of the 2nd amendment was if in fact America "failed" and became yet another tyranny, the people had a right to revolt...with arms

at that time in history, all the men owned guns because they used them in the revolutionary war and there was no organized American army, just a bunch of men banding together to fight off the British and become an independent country...the point of the amendment was to say that if for some reason America became something like 18th century England, then the people could use the arms that they own and fight off the unfair and unjust government but last time i checked, we still elect our representatives so hold your fire everyone.

excellent response.

the constitution was written as a fluid piece not some stone tablet.

Then petition congress to repeal the fucking amendment. You don't get to decide what an amendment means based on historical context and then enforce law on that supposition. Until the 2nd amendment is repealed we can have guns.

I swear to God no one knows how our country is supposed to work anymore.
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • mr.pinkmr.pink Posts: 362
    funny how Ed is a patriot.....yet an anti-gun pussy!.....when they convince you you don't need the second amendment....all the others will disappear soon after!

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
    -- Thomas Jefferson

:clap::clap::clap:

Isn't this thread going to get shut down soon? I had a very similar thread that got shut down as soon as logic started kicking the pussies in the teeth!
    Twenty-ten watch it go to fire!!!
  • I get it:
    If you're non-violent, you're a pussy.
    If you have a liberal opinion, you're uninformed.
    If you have a gun, you're the only one that believes in freedom

don't think, dumb is strength
  • Four or Five virgins..........and a pelican.......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Four or Five virgins..........and a pelican.......

Forty Five versions of a pelican...
  • mr.pinkmr.pink Posts: 362
    I get it:
    If you're non-violent, you're a pussy.
    If you have a liberal opinion, you're uninformed.
    If you have a gun, you're the only one that believes in freedom

don't think, dumb is strength

Obviously you don't get it. No one suggested any of those things. Its one issue, don't over-simplify because you were offended. And on this issue, thinking logically will always lead you to a pro-gun stance.

I'm non-violent, have several liberal opinions, and don't own a gun. Yet I'm logical, and its extremely short-sighted to take away the second ammendment.
    Twenty-ten watch it go to fire!!!
  • The musical note "G" is the first thing played, and it's the root of some of the other chords. And I've always thought Glorified G sounded cool...
    Do you see the way that tree bends? Does it inspire?

I'll not lose my faith, it's an inside job today

St. Louis 5/4/10 Hope for many more!
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,540
    funny how Ed is a patriot.....yet an anti-gun pussy!.....when they convince you you don't need the second amendment....all the others will disappear soon after!

-- Thomas Jefferson

I'm wondering if TJs slaves felt protected and free of tyranny.
  • Kloddz said:
    youngster wrote:
    Just listen to the lyrics..

"Glorified version of a pellet gun, feel so manly when armed"
    You misspelled "pelican".
    That’s ok man. Cause I love frogs. 
  • Corey G said:
    Kloddz said:
    youngster wrote:
    Just listen to the lyrics..

"Glorified version of a pellet gun, feel so manly when armed"
    You misspelled "pelican".
    That’s ok man. Cause I love frogs. 
    Feel some manly arms 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,242
    Still one of the best solo's Mike's ever put down on a Pearl Jam record.
    www.cluthelee.com