Ledbetter, Black, Or Given to Fly?

RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
edited February 2010 in The Porch
To me this is picking the greatest Pearl Jam song of all time. Because if you look at the thread thats like "songs that you skip on each album" or something like that, pretty much every song that the general public likes, the hardcore fans dont consistantly like (jermey, even flow, alive, daughter, betterman, dte, the fixer) , so I consider the greatest song a balance between the 2. I've never heard anyone say they dont like any of these songs except that one guy on that thread didnt like black, and got chewed up pretty bad for it. Mines ledbetter, I have alot of friends that hate all pearl jam except this song and its by far my personal favorite song. What do you think?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I'm with you. Yellow Ledbetter (studio version) always makes me smile and is my personal favorite.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    I'm with you on this as well...Ledbetter is my favorite, followed closely by Black..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • GTF followed closely by YL.
  • Given to Fly
    YLB
    Black
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Three way tie :D

but if I had to choose it one song (of the three) to hear Given to Fly would be it
    Arms wide open with the sea as my floor.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Live: given to fly

studio: YL
  • For sentiment reason, Black. I've heard many varied versions of it over the years and I love it live. I was 21 when Ten came out and it kicked ass over anything else coming out at the time. Plus being able to see PJ, Soundgarden, Ministry and the Chili Peppers all in one day changed my life! If anyone started listening to PJ later than that, I could understand why it could be GTF or Ledbetter. But for me, its Black
    7/28/1992 Lollapalooza Cincinnati, 9/22/1996 Toledo, 8/20/2000 Cincinnati, 6/24/2006 Cincinnati, 8/5/2007 Lollapalooza Chicago @ Grant Park, EV solo 8/21/2008 Chicago @ Auditorium Theater
  • Black
    Rearviewmirror
    Immortality

Yellow Ledbetter? Really? Not in my top 20.

-make me fries
  • Sweetness wrote:
    make me fries
    :lol::lol::lol: Couldn't agree more
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Black
    GTF
    YL

Totally agree - these are awesome songs!
  • GTF
    Black
    Yellow Ledbetter

I think most of us crazy and manic 10C members are just tired of hearing the songs the band HAS to play to satiate the desires of the casual listeners that attend shows (such as Even Flow, Jeremy, etc.) We instead prefer the obscure songs, the ones that haven't been played, or aren't played nearly enough (I'M TALKING ABOUT HOLD ON, WASH, OTHERSIDE, SAD!! to just name a few...). Sadly, the casual fan desires may outweigh the band deciding to play the obscure songs...or desired songs...like No Way...but hell, I'll still see the band ANY day!
  • Black is my No1.....then YLB :D
    Hold on to the thread....The currents will shift....Glide me towards you....

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life....
  • bunnybunny Posts: 270
    pretty much every song that the general public likes, (black, jermey, even flow, alive, daughter, betterman, dte, the fixer)
    What do you think?
    i think.. :roll: :mrgreen:

Given to Fly
    Ledbetter
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    Black
    GTF
    Ledbetter
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    To me this is picking the greatest Pearl Jam song of all time. Because if you look at the thread thats like "songs that you skip on each album" or something like that, pretty much every song that the general public likes, the hardcore fans dont consistantly like (jermey, even flow, alive, daughter, betterman, dte, the fixer) , so I consider the greatest song a balance between the 2. I've never heard anyone say they dont like any of these songs except that one guy on that thread didnt like black, and got chewed up pretty bad for it. Mines ledbetter, I have alot of friends that hate all pearl jam except this song and its by far my personal favorite song. What do you think?

I'm a " " H A R D C O R E" " fan as you put it...and JEREMY and EVEN FLOW are my 2 favourite SONGS of ***ALL TIME*** :D ...having said that i would say BLACK from the 3 on the List...:)
  • LieslLiesl Posts: 64
    Given to fly.
  • GTF
  • I KNOW SOMEDAY....
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • snertsnert Posts: 219
    For me... Live or studio...

Black
    GTF
    YL (especially as a finale)
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,054
    Love em all but

gtf
    black
    yl

it's close on all though - a trio for all shows
  • KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    3 magnificient songs, YL probably being my favorite of them. But when it comes to mainstream appeal (one of the OP's criteria), I think it will have to be GTF...
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Black
    GTF
    Ledbetter

side note: Alive is the shit.
  • ChrisileinChrisilein Posts: 3,889
    Black
    GtF
    Ledbetter
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • dadesdades Posts: 322
    Changes all the time, but just now its Given To Fly

Got it as my ringtone as well :D
    Glasgow Cathouse 1992
    Glasgow S.E.C.C. 2000
    Shepherds Bush 2009 - M.E.N 2009 - London O2 2009
    Boston 2010 - Newark 2010 - MSG1+2 2010 - Dublin 2010 - Belfast 2010
    London 2010
    Manchester 1+2 2012 EV Manchester 2012 EV London 31/7/2012
    Philly 1+2 2013 - Hartford 2013
    Berlin 2014 Leeds 2014
    Fenway 2 2016
    EV London 1+2 2017
    London 1+2 - Berlin 2018
  • Black.
  • ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    For some reason, and it may just be because it's a bit different, I've really enjoyed listening to demo version of YLB lately.
  • guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    i prefer GTF but of course black is always going to be up there although its a sore spot with me and wife at mo sent her to get drinks at o2 thinking it wouldn't be next song :shock: you can guess the rest oopppps :o :twisted:
  • I am done with Black. The radio stations always play black. Backspacer was released and the radio would play Black over any of the new songs. I will take the other two in any order.

Black Free since 2005
    Dream the dreams of other men...You will be no ones rival

28 times and rocked them all
  • i_lov_it wrote:

I'm a " " H A R D C O R E" " fan as you put it...and JEREMY and EVEN FLOW are my 2 favourite SONGS of ***ALL TIME*** :D ...having said that i would say BLACK from the 3 on the List...:)

Amen, brother. I've been a confirmed PJ geek since Ten came out, and I still love Jeremy and Even Flow - they never get old (actually, nothing on that album gets old - it's fucking perfect).

Of that list though, I'd go with Black - it's quite possibly my favorite song by any band, ever. I'd be stoked as hell if they played it at Jazz Fest.

As for YL... I actually really like the version that was on the Tibetan Freedom Concert album, where it was just Mike and Ed
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • Black
    YL
    GTF