Mushroom recipes

Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,265
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
What is your favorite mushroom recipe?

If you love mushrooms, what are your top 2 varieties? How would you use them differently in recipes?

I never got into them, but it was because of the texture. I couldn't eat a sandwich with one portabello mushroom as the *meat* of it. It was just too much of that texture. Also, I've had toasted bread with fried mushrooms, but the mushrooms were not cut well enough. Each bite was an exercise in chewing. I think the taste is something to be explored as long as I chop them up well, and cook them. I don't mind stuffed mushrooms, but I don't usually gravitate to them if something else is available.
There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,858
    well I dont really have a recipe
    but I love mushrooms-my favorites
    swiss and mushroom omlette
    marinated mushrooms
    mushroom pizza
    sauteed mushrooms with butter and thyme
    shimeji or enoki mushrooms sauteed with butter and soy
    chanterelles, trumpet or morel mushrooms cooked quickly as a side to a meat dish
    not really a fan of portabellos, they can be very bitter
    and I never really liked dried mushrooms-except maybe in a stew-the consistency and flavor is just a bit off
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I don't have recipes either ... :( sorry

But I love Mushrooms.

Portabella mushroom sandwiches are quite tastey! I also love to sautee mushrooms and onions and have that as a side with a baked potato when i have steak.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeep wrote:

But I love Mushrooms.

Portabella mushroom sandwiches are quite tastey! I also love to sautee mushrooms and onions and have that as a side with a baked potato when i have steak.
    Oh yeah....gots to have 'em with steak when I'm grilling. I just cook em up in butter when some basil and they are hard to beat
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,265
    Yummy! Sounds good and easy. I'll start by sauteing them with onions or adding them to items I add onions to, and go from there. I would like to do research to test the flavor profiles. I would probably have to try them raw to understand the initial taste difference.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    i have a nice mushroom stamp recipe

:D
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    intodeep wrote:

But I love Mushrooms.

Oh yeah....gots to have 'em with steak when I'm grilling. I just cook em up in butter when some basil and they are hard to beat

Try that with balsamic vinegar insted of butter, maybe drop a hint of swiss on top. :D
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • jimed14 wrote:
    intodeep wrote:

But I love Mushrooms.

Try that with balsamic vinegar insted of butter, maybe drop a hint of swiss on top. :D

mmmm...mushrooms in balsamic, sounds yummy!
    we usually throw em in stir fries if we pick em up. i eat them more in restaurants than i do at home. i find most packages of mushrooms just too big for our consumption. i like the little button mushrooms, but i'll try just about any edible mushroom. i like them best mixed in with other foods.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488

we usually throw em in stir fries if we pick em up. i eat them more in restaurants than i do at home. i find most packages of mushrooms just too big for our consumption. i like the little button mushrooms, but i'll try just about any edible mushroom. i like them best mixed in with other foods.

We usually use the baby portabellas (about 3" in diameter), comes in a package of 6 ... perfect for 2 meals worth.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • jimed14 wrote:

We usually use the baby portabellas (about 3" in diameter), comes in a package of 6 ... perfect for 2 meals worth.

i've never seen such a small package of mushrooms, tho i can't say if i ever saw a baby portabella. have to be on the lookout. tho i still prefer the smaller mushrooms, overall. they really need to sell smaller packages of everything really, but especially fresh produce!

thanks for the tip!
    :thumbup:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Morel mushrooms are by far the best to eat. Cut them longitudinally, batter in butter, milk, flour and salt and fry them. MMMMMMmmmmmmmmm.

Psilocybin are better though. Man it has been a long time since I've seen god. :shock:
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • I made a really good mushroom sauce to go with a steak the other day. All I did was to chop the mushrooms up really finely, cooked them in some butter and garlic and then while the steak was resting, poured a little water in the steak pan, added the mushrooms, a few tablespoons of cream and a splash of balsamic vinegar. It was AMAZING!
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,265
    I made a really good mushroom sauce to go with a steak the other day. All I did was to chop the mushrooms up really finely, cooked them in some butter and garlic and then while the steak was resting, poured a little water in the steak pan, added the mushrooms, a few tablespoons of cream and a splash of balsamic vinegar. It was AMAZING!
    That sounds amazing!
  • Ms. Haiku wrote:
    That sounds amazing!

yeah I would totally recommend it! The balsamic vinegar really helped to cut through the richness of the sauce. I think I'm gonna try and tweak the recipe and make a beef stroganoff with the same ingredients soon.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    i have a nice mushroom stamp recipe

:D

:thumbup: :lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • bunnybunny Posts: 270
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    That sounds amazing!

yeah I would totally recommend it! The balsamic vinegar really helped to cut through the richness of the sauce. I think I'm gonna try and tweak the recipe and make a beef stroganoff with the same ingredients soon.
    Your recipe sounds really good. i have a balsamic vinegar :P i'll try it!
  • bunnybunny Posts: 270
    The first recipe I can think of when thinking of MUSHROOM is the spinaceous salad :P
    i like this :P

1..saute chopped garlic & bacon in the olive oil.
    and add salt & pepper, soy(if you have it ..) or balsamic vinegar.

2..add spinach and sliced mushroom, and mix together roughly.
    spinach and mushroom are almost raw.

3..squirt it with a bit of lemon.

im sorry.. :( I can't explain in English well..
  • mushrooms+pizza= :D
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    I made a really good mushroom sauce to go with a steak the other day. All I did was to chop the mushrooms up really finely, cooked them in some butter and garlic and then while the steak was resting, poured a little water in the steak pan, added the mushrooms, a few tablespoons of cream and a splash of balsamic vinegar. It was AMAZING!

*drooools*
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341

Face, that sounds lovely. Did you cook your steak with butter? If so, next time, no need for water. Just deglaze the pan with the vinegar (if you use it, or a drop of wine - white as you are using cream or even whisky or brandy),then add the mushrooms (which I assume still have the butter and garlic they were cooked in),then swish the cream in that. I like to slice my mushrooms thinly for sauces.

Will be having pork loin chops tonight... might just do that!

I love mushrooms, wild ones especially. Nothing like just tossing them (keeping them whole if possible or slicing but in decent size) in a bit of butter and garlic and topping off with a bit of chopped parsley, giving a last, quick toss before removing from the heat.
  • redrock wrote:
    Face, that sounds lovely. Did you cook your steak with butter? If so, next time, no need for water. Just deglaze the pan with the vinegar (if you use it, or a drop of wine - white as you are using cream or even whisky or brandy),then add the mushrooms (which I assume still have the butter and garlic they were cooked in),then swish the cream in that. I like to slice my mushrooms thinly for sauces.

Yeah it was a bit of an improvised recipe so I'm sure I can make it even better in future, unfortunately there was no booze in the house! Well apart from lager, and I'm not sure that would have worked!
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    I love mushroom soup. Especially at this time of year.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
    redrock wrote:

Yeah it was a bit of an improvised recipe so I'm sure I can make it even better in future, unfortunately there was no booze in the house! Well apart from lager, and I'm not sure that would have worked!

Lager would work for chicken!
  • redrock wrote:

Seriously?!
    redrock wrote:

Seriously?!

Seriously. Beer is used like wine in cooking. Different types of beer for different types of meat. Cooking with cider is lovely too. But we digress from mushrooms!
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    redrock wrote:
    redrock wrote:

Seriously?!

Seriously. Beer is used like wine in cooking. Different types of beer for different types of meat. Cooking with cider is lovely too. But we digress from mushrooms!

Brings back on track :P

Steak, ale and mushroom pie would work :D
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • dadesdades Posts: 322
    I used to make a mean cup of mushroom tea ;):mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Glasgow Cathouse 1992
    Glasgow S.E.C.C. 2000
    Shepherds Bush 2009 - M.E.N 2009 - London O2 2009
    Boston 2010 - Newark 2010 - MSG1+2 2010 - Dublin 2010 - Belfast 2010
    London 2010
    Manchester 1+2 2012 EV Manchester 2012 EV London 31/7/2012
    Philly 1+2 2013 - Hartford 2013
    Berlin 2014 Leeds 2014
    Fenway 2 2016
    EV London 1+2 2017
    London 1+2 - Berlin 2018
  • redrock wrote:

Cool, Chicken in Stella sauce it is tonight then! I might thow some mushrooms in there too :lol:
  • does anyone else go hunting for mushrooms in the spring? You can find lots of tips on the web for where to look and what kinds to look for. Here is my favorite, by far, the morel:

morel5_copy2.jpg
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
    redrock wrote:

Cool, Chicken in Stella sauce it is tonight then! I might thow some mushrooms in there too :lol:

Fry some lardons and some shallots gently (let the fat on the lardons melt - you don't want them to go crispy), take them out, add a bit of oil if necessary and brown the chicken, put the lardons and shallots back in, (at this stage if you have some whiskey, brandy or whatever, you can flambe the chicken - not essential), sprinkle with a tablespoon or two of flour and stir together. Add the beer (or half beer and half chicken stock) - give it another stir. Add mushrooms (little baby button ones maybe) but leave them on the top. Cook until chicken tender. Take chicken out, cover and keep warm. Reduce cooking liquid, add cream, put chicken back in and enjoy!

OK... not too off topic because there are mushrooms in the recipe!
  • magic! :D