Into The Wild >> Backspacer

PJamGrungeFanPJamGrungeFan Posts: 289
edited January 2010 in The Porch
Yup, that's right.

Ed's soundtrack to Into the Wild is better than teh Backspacer. Backspacer just doesn't have much staying power IMO.

Anyone agree? =D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• apples and oranges cant be compared

next question...
  • Ed's solo stuff > current PJ
  • hendrix better than clapton?
  • Ed should do more solo stuff. Lots moar
  • Yup, that's right.

Ed's soundtrack to Into the Wild is better than teh Backspacer. Backspacer just doesn't have much staying power IMO.

Anyone agree? =D
    +1 It's not even close.
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    edited January 2010
    Hmmm

itw.jpg

Vs

catspacer.jpg

I dunno... :lol: I had more fun playing around with Backspacer.
    Post edited by Paul Andrews on
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    two different experiences, both kick ass and in my opinion equally rewarding. :mrgreen:
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Your opinion < a big pile of steaming dog shit

;)
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • The Champ wrote:
    Your opinion < a big pile of steaming dog shit

;)
    You = a big pile of steaming dog shit

;)
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 14,980
    I'm not sure that you can compare Into the Wild where two of the best songs on it were covers to Backspacer which featured all original material.

Both are good albums but its apples vs. oranges as someone else said.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    on2legs wrote:
    I'm not sure that you can compare Into the Wild where two of the best songs on it were covers to Backspacer which featured all original material.

I loved ITTW, but I thought the best song from that album made it onto Backspacer. ;)
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    edited January 2010
    Hmmm

itw.jpg

Vs

catspacer.jpg

I dunno... :lol: I had more fun playing around with Backspacer.

this fucking image:
    http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo21 ... ol_wut.jpg

whats up with this stupid "480 pixel" BS?
    Post edited by 12345AGNST1 on
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Both are great in different ways. Apples and Oranges. You can favor one, but to dismiss one is just limiting the musical reaches of your mind.
  • (Rah)2(Ah)3 + [Roma (1 + Ma)] + (Ga)2(oh)(La)2 = WANT YOUR BAD ROMANCE
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Both are great in different ways. Apples and Oranges. You can favor one, but to dismiss one is just limiting the musical reaches of your mind.
    +1
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • apples and oranges cant be compared

next question...

I don't question our existence
    I just question our modern needs

** http://backpacksoul.wordpress.com **
  • KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    Both are great in different ways. Apples and Oranges. You can favor one, but to dismiss one is just limiting the musical reaches of your mind.
    +1
    Add 1 to that.
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    Wilds wrote:
    I loved ITTW, but I thought the best song from that album made it onto Backspacer. ;)
    Wait, Long Nights is on Backspacer? Where?

;)
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • on2legs wrote:

Oh, I wasn't aware Guaranteed and Long Nights were covers.
  • Both are great in different ways. Apples and Oranges. You can favor one, but to dismiss one is just limiting the musical reaches of your mind.
    So if I don't like an album I'm automatically 'limiting the musical reaches of my mind'? Bullshit :lol:

Just because Backspacer had all original material doesn't automatically mean all that original material was good.

Specifically, the only songs Backspacer I find great (excluding Gonna See my Friend), were the ones written by Vedder (Just Breathe, The End, Speed of Sound (demo) )

I think his voice is more fit for the acoustic, slower stuff nowaday.

Flame on...
  • More like this.... Into the Wild >> Self Titled >> Backspacer
    on2legs wrote:

I think you missed the part where I wrote "TWO OF THE BEST" which is vastly different from THE TWO BEST :roll:
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• on2legs wrote:
    on2legs wrote:

I think you missed the part where I wrote "TWO OF THE BEST" which is vastly different from THE TWO BEST :roll:
    So what about the other 9 great songs on the record that weren't covers? And so what if they were covers? I'll take Ed's version of those songs over the original any day. Just because they're songs that were not originally written by him, doesn't mean he didn't elevate the song to a new level of greatness.

Like I said, sure Backspacer had all original material, but that doesn't mean it was all good. Because it wasn't.

All in my opinion of course..
    So what about the other 9 great songs on the record that weren't covers? And so what if they were covers? I'll take Ed's version of those songs over the original any day. Just because they're songs that were not originally written by him, doesn't mean he didn't elevate the song to a new level of greatness.

Like I said, sure Backspacer had all original material, but that doesn't mean it was all good. Because it wasn't.

I think you're overreacting a bit here... I never posted anything negative about ITW - I love the album. And I love Backspacer too.

But its not apples to apples to take an Ed solo album with covers , instrumentals, and a minute and a half of Ed howling like a wolf and compare it to a complete original studio album.

• on2legs wrote:

But its not apples to apples to take an Ed solo album with covers , instrumentals, and a minute and a half of Ed howling like a wolf and compare it to a complete original studio album.
    How are instrumentals not original? How do they take away from an albums quality or originality?

So I guess we can't compare Backspacer to Vitalogy because of Pry, To, Foxy Mop, and Aye Davanita right?
    So I guess we can't compare Backspacer to Vitalogy because of Pry, To, Foxy Mop, and Aye Davanita right?

No... those albums can be compared because they are both Pearl Jam studio albums.

Unlike your attempt to directly compare a movie soundtrack with a studio album.

Why not compare Backspacer to one of the officials boots too while you're at it?

In fact I'll start my own thread... Live at the Gorge >> Backspacer :lol:

• cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    Kloddz wrote:
    +1
    Add 1 to that.

-1. I don't like the Spice Girls - does that mean I am limiting the musical reaches of my mind because I dismissed them?

I also prefer Into the Wild to Backspacer. I also disagree with the "Apples and Oranges" assessment - you're either musically moved by an album or you're not. It's not like comparing Into the Wild to a bicycle. One is - in my opinion - an outstanding acoustic record. The other is - again, only in my opinion - a decidedly average rock album. I can put them up against each other in the same way I prefer beer to tea when I'm looking for something to drink, or a steak to cauliflower when I'm hungry. When I want something good to listen to, I'm much more inclined to reach for Into the Wild than I am to Backspacer. Music is music - and Into the Wild speaks to me musically, whereas Backspacer doesn't. It's not against some obscure musical law to compare a Pearl Jam album to one by another band or solo artist.
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
    cajunkiwi wrote:
    -1. I don't like the Spice Girls - does that mean I am limiting the musical reaches of my mind because I dismissed them?
    Who are the Spice Girls? What century is this? :P
    cajunkiwi wrote:
    I also disagree with the "Apples and Oranges" assessment - you're either musically moved by an album or you're not.

Okay... so someone who says Rearviewmirror (the greatest hits album) is better than Yield is making a valid comparison?

This thread is misleading.. The title should be "I THINK Into The Wild >> Backspacer".