I-Pad

redmosquito10redmosquito10 Posts: 568
edited January 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/01/27/appl ... tml?hpt=T1

Well, Apple unveiled their new product, the I-Pad. Looks pretty sweet for web-browsing, e-books, photos, etc. I dont really see myself getting one because i need the full functionality of a laptop, but damn is Apple good at making things tha look amazing. Also, its cheaper than I had anticipated, always a good thing

Opinions?
"Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,414
    it's an amazing device, but i really don't need it. i like my current setup (MacBook & iPhone), but i can see how it would be useful for some people. that price is very nice as well!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • looks like another big overpriced hunk of junk. i dont know why i would ever need on e of those. it doesnt even have USB jacks.

i thought this quote was pretty funny:
    "Netbooks are just cheap laptops!" - Steve Jobs

"The iPad is an EXPENSIVE netbook!" - The internet
  • for those with a bit more time, heres the promotional video. looks sick. i wish i didnt have to have a laptop to run some pretty hug software packages or id grab one of these in a second

http://www.apple.com/ipad/
    "Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I didnt like it just looking at the pics (really just looks like a glorified version of a iphone) <--lol

But after I saw the video of it working I pretty much changed my mind. there's also a dock for it that includes a keyboard so you can pretty much use it at home as a normal computer (hopefully they make it so a mouse will work with it) and then pick it up and bring it wherever.

heres the video: http://www.apple.com/ipad/#video
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • yeah the no usb is pretty strange
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    I'm not impressed. I guess the device is cool enough, but I don't know who they think is going to buy it. To me, it's like a glorified iPod Touch. $499 for wifi-only use isn't horrible I suppose, but for travelers who need a 3G network (AT&T, ugh) it's going to cost closer to a laptop - only without the processing power and hard drive space. I guess Apple must know there is a market out there, but once the initial fever dies down I don't see this being a very big hit for them.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • i can just see people tilting and poking this weird thing in public. :shock:
  • apparently theres no multi-tasking, which sucks. cant listen to itunes while you browse the web, etc.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i'll be sticking with my PC laptop and desktop, as well as my basic cell phone that barely gets used.

hipsters will buy it in droves because it's "cool".

people spend so much money on gadgets, it's become crazy.

$500 for a cell phone? really?

i'm getting old

:leaving:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,558
    devices like this annoy me, its too big to carry around in your pocket and therefore you may as well still get a netbook or laptop.
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    apparently theres no multi-tasking, which sucks. cant listen to itunes while you browse the web, etc.

WTF? :? That's just stupid! And no USB? Idiots!
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,558
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    apparently theres no multi-tasking, which sucks. cant listen to itunes while you browse the web, etc.

WTF? :? That's just stupid! And no USB? Idiots!

plugging in USB devices would kill the power on something like that.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    mfc2006 wrote:
    it's an amazing device, but i really don't need it. i like my current setup (MacBook & iPhone), but i can see how it would be useful for some people. that price is very nice as well!

Agree. If you have a MacBook and iPhone you don't need this at all. Even just an iPhone.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • release23420release23420 Posts: 1,176
    i dunno but this looks way cooler its called TED have any of you herd of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUdDhWfpqxg
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906

you can do that on an iphone.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    So, basically Steve Jobs and Apple just took another iShit? 8-)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    i thought this was a thread making fun of how sarah palin pronounces 'ipod.'

well i was wrong.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • norm wrote:

yeah that article sums it up, there are just too many things that the ipad doesn't do.........yet. I'm sure by version 3 of the ipad it will have all the things that people want and each model will be 150 dollars cheaper and there will be a version that has more space. but it looks kind of cool, but right now i have no use for it. when the ipad inevitably gets an upgrade im sure it will be very cool and maybe even worth it for a large number of people
    "Change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks"
  • autumnautumn Posts: 191
    i dunno but this looks way cooler its called TED have any of you herd of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUdDhWfpqxg

I have definitely heard of this. My friend is on the team that is working on this technology. He's super excited about it, as you can imagine. I'm not really into the latest, greatest technology, but this does look pretty cool.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Maxi_pad_Ultra_Dry_Sanitary_Napkin.jpg
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    I was hoping it would be a full laptop. I already have an iTouch. I don't want a Kindle. So I don't see any need for this, personally. Perhaps I'll think more of it once I see the promotional video. It does look cool and seem like a good idea - just not revolutionary enough.

Also, I CANNOT BELIEVE they named it iPad. Seriously??? WTF where they thinking??? :shock:
  • I'm sure that this will sell well, Apple is great at marketing, and the thing looks cool and probably is fun to use.

But like most have said, it kinda falls in between an iphone or smartphone (without the phone part), and a laptop computer (without all of the capabilities).

It would be cool to have in the living room to surf and stuff while watching TV, but that doesn't justify spending $500+ when in functionality it doesn't fully replace my laptop.

And it's too big to carry with you everyday. I was thinking it would be good for business travelers, but their going to take their laptops/netbooks anyway, so there is no reason to take something else.

One area which this would work great in is in a doctors office. instead of paper files or netbooks to carry around, doctors could have all of their charts and images on this to take from room to room.

We'll see... with the ipod, Apple has taken a niche product and made it mainstream, we'll see if they can do it with this thing.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Riot_MacRiot_Mac Posts: 473

You can listen to iTunes and do anything else. That is the only "multitasking" the iPhone can do. Basically you can't run multiple apps. Like listen to slacker radio app and browse the web or use the Facebook app, which is my biggest problem with the iPhone.

The rumor is the iPhone OS 4.0 will allow multiple apps to be ran at the same time. I would assume this will be the case for the iPad as well.
    "hear my name, take a good look, this could be the day."
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    I am not really sure what the market for this thing is. I mean it is like a bigger less portable version of an ipod touch. Or it is a smaller less powerful version of a laptop with less storage, which is totally flat which would make typing annoying since you would have to keep your head down, and from what I understand it doesn't support flash so good like trying to watch streaming video.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I'm sure these things will sell like hot cakes. I think it was key for them to have a $500 entry level. But Apple has yet to make it clear if it can play Flash files. If it can't, then I can't see myself purchasing it. (if it can, i will pre-order it!)
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    One area which this would work great in is in a doctors office. instead of paper files or netbooks to carry around, doctors could have all of their charts and images on this to take from room to room.

One of the walk in clinics I go to sometimes already has something exactly like that. I have never seen it anywhere else so I imagine it is purpose built for the medical field.