does exercise really keep us healthy?

decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
yikes...
rarely read info like this...
http://health.nytimes.com/ref/health/he ... e-ess.html

In Brief:

While exercise can boost mood, its health benefits have been oversold.

Moderate exercise can reduce the risk of diabetes in people at risk. Exercise may reduce the risk of heart disease and breast and colon cancers.

Though the evidence is mixed, exercise may also provide benefits for people with osteoporosis.

Physical activity alone will not lead to sustained weight loss or reduce blood pressure or cholesterol.

Exercise has long been touted as the panacea for everything that ails you. For better health, simply walk for 20 or 30 minutes a day, boosters say — and you don’t even have to do it all at once. Count a few minutes here and a few there, and just add them up. Or wear a pedometer and keep track of your steps. However you manage it, you will lose weight, get your blood pressure under control and reduce your risk of osteoporosis.

If only it were so simple. While exercise has undeniable benefits, many, if not most, of its powers have been oversold. Sure, it can be fun. It can make you feel energized. And it may lift your mood. But before you turn to a fitness program as the solution to your particular health or weight concern, consider what science has found.

Moderate exercise, such as walking, can reduce the risk of diabetes in obese and sedentary people whose blood sugar is starting to rise. That outcome was shown in a large federal study in which participants were randomly assigned either to an exercise and diet program, to take a diabetes drug or to serve as controls. Despite trying hard, those who dieted and worked out lost very little weight. But they did manage to maintain a regular walking program, and fewer of them went on to develop diabetes.

Exercise also may reduce the risk of heart disease, though the evidence is surprisingly mixed. There seems to be a threshold effect: Most of the heart protection appears to be realized by people who go from being sedentary to being moderately active, usually by walking regularly. More intense exercise has been shown to provide only slightly greater benefits. Yet the data from several large studies have not always been clear, because those who exercise tend to be very different from those who do not.

Active people are much less likely to smoke; they’re thinner and they eat differently than their sedentary peers. They also tend to be more educated, and education is one of the strongest predictors of good health in general and a longer life. As a result, it is impossible to know with confidence whether exercise prevents heart disease or whether people who are less likely to get heart disease are also more likely to be exercising.

Scientists have much the same problem evaluating exercise and cancer. The same sort of studies that were done for heart disease find that people who exercised had lower rates of colon and breast cancer. But whether that result is cause or effect is not well established.

Exercise is often said to stave off osteoporosis. Yet even weight-bearing activities like walking, running or lifting weights has not been shown to have that effect. Still, in rigorous studies in which elderly people were randomly assigned either to exercise or maintain their normal routine, the exercisers were less likely to fall, perhaps because they got stronger or developed better balance. Since falls can lead to fractures in people with osteoporosis, exercise may prevent broken bones — but only indirectly.

And what about weight loss? Lifting weights builds muscles but will not make you burn more calories. The muscle you gain is minuscule compared with the total amount of skeletal muscle in the body. And muscle has a very low metabolic rate when it’s at rest. (You can’t flex your biceps all the time.)

Jack Wilmore, an exercise physiologist at Texas A & M University, calculated that the average amount of muscle that men gained after a serious 12-week weight-lifting program was 2 kilograms, or 4.4 pounds. That added muscle would increase the metabolic rate by only 24 calories a day.

Exercise alone, in the absence of weight loss, has not been shown to reduce blood pressure. Nor does it make much difference in cholesterol levels. Weight loss can lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels, but if you want to lose weight, you have to diet as well as exercise. Exercise alone has not been shown to bring sustained weight loss.Just ask Steven Blair, an exercise researcher at the University of South Carolina. He runs every day and even runs marathons. But, he adds, “I was short, fat and bald when I started running, and I’m still short, fat and bald. Weight control is difficult for me. I fight the losing battle.”

The difficulty, Dr. Blair says, is that it’s much easier to eat 1,000 calories than to burn off 1,000 calories with exercise. As he relates, “An old football coach used to say, ‘I have all my assistants running five miles a day, but they eat 10 miles a day.’”

Publish date: 1/8/08
Stay with me...
Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    YES, yes, yes in every way weight, mood, sleep, sex etc. Much better than sitting and eating then doing nothing, welcome home heart attack. :(

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    g under p wrote:
    YES, yes, yes in every way weight, mood, sleep, sex etc. Much better than sitting and eating then doing nothing, welcome home heart attack. :(

Peace

totally agree....I feel like shit if I don't exercise for a few days
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    g under p wrote:

Peace

i don't disagree....but it is an interesting article.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Well, I don't diet in any way shape or form. I eat what I like and I drink what I like and the only reason I can get away with that lifestyle is because I exercise all the time. I never exercise to exercise, you will not ever find me in a gym, but I play hard at least 3-4 times a week doing various activities. I'm pretty fit as a result. Of course, I have some chronic aches and pains from having broke about 100 bones in my body over the course of all that playing... so I guess it might have a down side. Still, I'm gonna keep it up until I can no longer drag this sack of meat out of bed.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • peacegirl wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace

I don't think exercise helps me lose all that much weight, but it sure makes me feel better in every way! When my exercise program slips, I start going through bottles of Tums. Once I'm back into it, the Tums just stay in the bottle. Never fails.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I suppose exercise is going to help make us healthy but like all things don't take it to extremes. I used to run marathons and play squash 4 times a week and I felt great. The only problem now is my knees and back are fucked.
    I don't think exercise helps me lose all that much weight, but it sure makes me feel better in every way!
    Possibly because exercise can help you build muscle which is heavier than fat. So I've been told.
    nuffingman wrote:
    I suppose exercise is going to help make us healthy but like all things don't take it to extremes. I used to run marathons and play squash 4 times a week and I felt great. The only problem now is my knees and back are fucked.

Back in the day I was playing softball both fast/slowpitch 5 days a week plus traveling tournaments, street hockey, basketball plus ALL the playing at work. That included frisbee football, lacrosse, century road cycling rides and basketball and I was in consant state of aches and pains in my right knee. Finally had knee surgery which led to a a cutback in my physical activity bigtime, getting married and having a child contributed too. :D

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• IwasBit10IwasBit10 Posts: 646
    nuffingman wrote:
    I don't think exercise helps me lose all that much weight, but it sure makes me feel better in every way!
    Possibly because exercise can help you build muscle which is heavier than fat. So I've been told.

Depends on your eating habits as well.

I played football (offensive line) and threw shot all through high school and college and I'd do these crazy olympic-style weight-lifting and intense conditioning programs. I'd also eat enough for 2-3 people at every meal. Now that that's all over, I haven't routinely lifted (or exercised) in a good two years, but I weigh a lot less because I started to watch what I eat. Plus all that hard muscle has melted into a nice, soft beer gut. :lol:
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
  • exercise??what tha means???dont have this word in my vocabulary.. :roll:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    g under p wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:

Back in the day I was playing softball both fast/slowpitch 5 days a week plus traveling tournaments, street hockey, basketball plus ALL the playing at work. That included frisbee football, lacrosse, century road cycling rides and basketball and I was in consant state of aches and pains in my right knee. Finally had knee surgery which led to a a cutback in my physical activity bigtime, getting married and having a child contributed too. :D

Peace
    If you said "I finally had knee surgery" to a lardy butt they'd give that as an excuse why exercise wasn't good for you. :lol:

I found that I still did a lot of running when the kids were born. Anything to get out of the house.
    IwasBit10 wrote:
    Depends on your eating habits as well.

I played football (offensive line) and threw shot all through high school and college and I'd do these crazy olympic-style weight-lifting and intense conditioning programs. I'd also eat enough for 2-3 people at every meal. Now that that's all over, I haven't routinely lifted (or exercised) in a good two years, but I weigh a lot less because I started to watch what I eat. Plus all that hard muscle has melted into a nice, soft beer gut. :lol:
    Good for you! When I had to stop the running and squash due to injuries I ballooned because I was still eating the same. I can't believe how much I used to eat when I was really active. I might as well have put the armchair in the fridge. The hard muscle turned into flab and headed south quite quickly.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I'm sure this has been said before but it's really the whole picture. All I know is that I have been exercising regularly for 10 or so years and feel better then I did in my teens and early twenties. I really believe that exercise is really good for the body.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    I don't exercise enough, less than I used to, used to fell-walk, rock climb, hell, I would do anything on offer. Now I swim and walk. I enjoy it and feel better when I do it.

That's all I have to say, thank you for listening.
  • any personal trainer or weightlifter or health nut will tell you that excersize is only 50% of the equation. Diet is the other 50%. I think the article is basically saying that. You have to do good at both to be healthy and to lose weight/build muscle.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • nuffingman wrote:

Nah, that's not it. It's because I just love to eat & drink too much. But I feel better exercising and eating/drinking more than I would doing both less. Just don't lose any weight as a result - oh well. I'm over it.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    nuffingman wrote:
    g under p wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:

Peace
    If you said "I finally had knee surgery" to a lardy butt they'd give that as an excuse why exercise wasn't good for you. :lol:

I found that I still did a lot of running when the kids were born. Anything to get out of the house.

I said finally because I played very competitive sports and the last 2 years I saw a decline in my play due to cartilige damage in that knee. i could barely run so i had the surgery and I played much better for several more years then a family came along and that beacme more important. I played all those sports because i had time and I was good at them. However, i do understand what you're saying. :D

Peace

• nuffingman wrote:

Nah, that's not it. It's because I just love to eat & drink too much. But I feel better exercising and eating/drinking more than I would doing both less. Just don't lose any weight as a result - oh well. I'm over it.

my motto: excess in moderation. Eat well-balanced meals and be a health nut during the weekend, then drink and eat what you want on the weekend (or one day a week).
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
    any personal trainer or weightlifter or health nut will tell you that excersize is only 50% of the equation. Diet is the other 50%. I think the article is basically saying that. You have to do good at both to be healthy and to lose weight/build muscle.

absolutely.
    and also points out, so much of the 'magic bullet' ideas tied to exercise, well...they just aren't conclusive necessarily. basically states it's very difficult to draw clear conclusions of cause/effect. seems such conclusions are more clear-cut for those completely sedentary and then active, or already borderline ill and then exercise, etc. i thought it interesting, and made sense...that a lot of the 'good' assigned to exercise, well, probably more many-pronged; stating that exercisers ate differently, lived differently, period....than those who don't, and that more than likely ALL those factors play a role rather than a clear-cut, specific, exercise alone can cure/help/improve ..........whatever. it always amazes me on some level too, just how much is linked to education level.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• exercise and sport keep us ALIVE. what can be better?
  • yes, education.

Case in point: I have a female friend who came over a few weeks ago to hang out with me and my wife, she brought over a caramel apple and was trying to tell us that it was a healthy snack. Yes, she is a little overweight. Probably "obese" according to the BMI. I was trying to tell her that the ~300 fat calories from the caramel are much more detrimental than any benefits received from vitamin/nutrients in the apple.

And another thing; cheese should not be a part of every meal you eat.

:lol:
    yes, education.

Case in point: I have a female friend who came over a few weeks ago to hang out with me and my wife, she brought over a caramel apple and was trying to tell us that it was a healthy snack. Yes, she is a little overweight. Probably "obese" according to the BMI. I was trying to tell her that the ~300 fat calories from the caramel are much more detrimental than any benefits received from vitamin/nutrients in the apple.

And another thing; cheese should not be a part of every meal you eat.

:(
    :?

yea...i am amazed at times what some think is 'healthy.'
    however, what i was referencing was the part in the article (and far from the first time i've read it either) illustrating a correlation between formal education and good health habits. i can see some 'whys' to it, and definite exceptions too, but it just interests me how often it comes up as being a big factor.

"Active people are much less likely to smoke; they’re thinner and they eat differently than their sedentary peers. They also tend to be more educated, and education is one of the strongest predictors of good health in general and a longer life. As a result, it is impossible to know with confidence whether exercise prevents heart disease or whether people who are less likely to get heart disease are also more likely to be exercising."
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• peacegirl wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace

+1. I havent had a chance to get to the gym since Saturday and I'm feelin crappy. Cant wait to get to the gym tonight!
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    any personal trainer or weightlifter or health nut will tell you that excersize is only 50% of the equation. Diet is the other 50%. I think the article is basically saying that. You have to do good at both to be healthy and to lose weight/build muscle.

That's what I got out of the article too, that exercise ALONE won't keep us thin and at our healthiest. It's a combination that really makes it all work. After I lost all my college weight from dieting and running, I went back to what I was eating and gained a lot of weight back. Basically a combination of healthy diet and exercise is the only real solution.
    hmmmm...more interesting stuff:

n Brief:

Weight control is not simply a matter of willpower. Genes help determine the body's "set point," which is defended by the brain.

Dieting alone is rarely successful, and relapse rates are high.

Moderate exercise, too, rarely results in substantive long-term weight loss, which requires intensive exercise.

Americans have been getting fatter for years, and with the increase in waistlines has come a surplus of conventional wisdom. If we could just return to traditional diets, if we just walk for 20 minutes a day, exercise gurus and government officials maintain, America’s excess pounds would slowly but surely melt away.

Scientists are less sanguine. Many of the so-called facts about obesity, they say, amount to speculation or oversimplification of the medical evidence. Diet and exercise do matter, they now know, but these environmental influences alone do not determine an individual’s weight. Body composition also is dictated by DNA and monitored by the brain. Bypassing these physical systems is not just a matter of willpower.

More than 66 percent of Americans are overweight or obese, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in Atlanta. Although the number of obese women in the United States appears to be holding steady at 33 percent, for most Americans the risk is growing. The nation’s poor diet has long been the scapegoat. There have been proposals to put warning labels on sodas like those on cigarettes. There are calls to ban junk foods from schools. New York and other cities now require restaurants to disclose calorie information on their menus.

But the notion that Americans ever ate well is suspect. In 1966, when Americans were still comparatively thin, more than two billion hamburgers already had been sold in McDonald’s restaurants, noted Dr. Barry Glassner, a sociology professor at the University of Southern California. The recent rise in obesity may have more to do with our increasingly sedentary lifestyles than with the quality of our diets.

“The meals we romanticize in the past somehow leave out the reality of what people were eating,” he said. “The average meal had whole milk and ended with pie.... The typical meal had plenty of fat and calories.”

“Nostalgia is going to get us nowhere,” he added.

Neither will wishful misconceptions about the efficacy of exercise. First, the federal government told Americans to exercise for half an hour a day. Then, dietary guidelines issued in 2005 changed the advice, recommending 60 to 90 minutes of moderate exercise a day. There was an uproar; many said the goal was unrealistic for Americans. But for many scientists, the more pertinent question was whether such an exercise program would really help people lose weight.

The leisurely after-dinner walk may be pleasant, and it may be better than another night parked in front of the television. But modest exercise of this sort may not do much to reduce weight, evidence suggests.

“People don’t know that a 20-minute walk burns about 100 calories,” said Dr. Madelyn Fernstrom, director of the weight-management center at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. “People always overestimate the calories consumed in exercise, and underestimate the calories in food they are eating.”

Tweaking the balance is far more difficult than most people imagine, said Dr. Jeffrey Friedman, an obesity researcher at Rockefeller University. The math ought to work this way: There are 3,500 calories in a pound. If you subtract 100 calories per day by walking for 20 minutes, you ought to lose a pound every 35 days. Right?

Wrong. First, it’s difficult for an individual to hold calorie intake to a precise amount from day to day. Meals at home and in restaurants vary in size and composition; the nutrition labels on purchased foods — the best guide to calorie content — are at best rough estimates. Calorie counting is therefore an imprecise art.

Second, scientists recently have come to understand that the brain exerts astonishing control over body composition and how much individuals eat. “There are physiological mechanisms that keep us from losing weight,” said Dr. Matthew W. Gilman, the director of the obesity prevention program at Harvard Medical School/Pilgrim Health Care.

Scientists now believe that each individual has a genetically determined weight range spanning perhaps 30 pounds. Those who force their weight below nature’s preassigned levels become hungrier and eat more; several studies also show that their metabolisms slow in a variety of ways as the body tries to conserve energy and regain weight. People trying to exceed their weight range face the opposite situation: eating becomes unappealing, and their metabolisms shift into high gear.

The body’s determination to maintain its composition is why a person can skip a meal, or even fast for short periods, without losing weight. It’s also why burning an extra 100 calories a day will not alter the verdict on the bathroom scales. Struggling against the brain’s innate calorie counters, even strong-willed dieters make up for calories lost on one day with a few extra bites on the next. And they never realize it. “The system operates with 99.6 percent precision,” Dr. Friedman said.

The temptations of our environment — the sedentary living, the ready supply of rich food — may not be entirely to blame for rising obesity rates. In fact, new research suggests that the environment that most strongly influences body composition may be the very first one anybody experiences: the womb.

According to several animal studies, conditions during pregnancy, including the mother’s diet, may determine how fat the offspring are as adults. Human studies have shown that women who eat little in pregnancy, surprisingly, more often have children who grow into fat adults. More than a dozen studies have found that children are more likely to be fat if their mothers smoke during pregnancy.

The research is just beginning, true, but already it has upended some hoary myths about dieting. The body establishes its optimal weight early on, perhaps even before birth, and defends it vigorously through adulthood. As a result, weight control is difficult for most of us. And obesity, the terrible new epidemic of the developed world, is almost impossible to cure.

Publish date 8/30/07
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    I don't think you have to go to a gym....but you certainly have to stay very active or you will lose mobility and fitness. I can tell you first hand that not moving and keeping your muscle mass is a very BAD idea as you age. I have been very lazy the last couple of years, and I am feeling some major aches and pains. You can do things you love, like hiking, biking, walking, add some stretching, calisthenics, and lift some weights or even heavy items in your house and be able to maintain a decent level of fitness. As you age....you must eat good too, or the internal health issues begin to get you. You can get away with a lot when you are young, once you are OLD like me....it's all down hill! Move...and eat healthy....you will have a healthier life.
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I believe in exercise, I need to work out just about everyday. Without it I feel lousy.
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,283
    I'll take me some exercise with a side of feeling amazing thank you...
  • all the little aches and pains i used to have went away when i started exorcising. afte the first two weeks of soreness i feel better than ever.

btw, whats with all these articles lately questioning some common belief, then spending half the article explaining why thats such a stupid question? is exorcise really good for you? why yes it is!
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I do cardio and weight train, helps me maintain my weight, ever since turning 40 it's been hard to lose weight, I would be considered overweight but not obese, but it's not from a lack of activity, I've recently cut back food, I'll see how that goes. I can't really complain though, even with the extra weight, I never usually get more than 1 cold a year (none this year, knock on wood), never get the flu and feel fairly healthy for 44, just a bad heel and sore left knee in the mornings. I am fairly happy and contribute my good fortune to exercise.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon