Was Jr. the "legitimate" home run champion of 1998?

13»

Comments

• well, partly because the people who have admitted steroid users have been long under suspicion. Thats the thing with Bonds. Its one thing to be accused of something you didnt do, and to try and tell people "hey i'm innocent". its quite another to have the evidence that invesitgators do, with bonds and for bonds to act all "why me?" and all that nonsense. The rumors about bonds, mcgwire, arod, and so on were consistent and persisted for years.

With Griffey jr, he never was part of that discussion.

Also, he seems like a non flashy player. The users of this era, all sort of came out of nowhere, and started hitting 70 and 73 homers and 65 and so on, year after year after year. Costas referenced this in the mcgwire interview, something along the lines that in the past, few people hit 50 homers, then in the 1990's and 2000's all of a sudden you have a TON of players doing it.

Griffey jr, sort of is the guy, who plods along, out of the spotlight, and does his job, without the fame and without the fan craze. Thats another reason why I think he didnt use. These big home run hitters of this era are all on tv, in magazines, on the radio and so on. They are everywhere. Griffey jr, is no where to be found, but still, is hitting it out of the part, more often than anyone of his generation. As I pointed out, 4th all time in career homers. Yet, he isnt clamoring for the fame or the attention. He does his job, hits the homers and is a family man and thats it.

Why do you think Griffey is dirty? I flat out think Bonds is a user, and have the facts to back it up. If your gonna call someone a user, and in essence say their whole career is a sham, lets see some data and evidence.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,630
    well, partly because the people who have admitted steroid users have been long under suspicion. Thats the thing with Bonds. Its one thing to be accused of something you didnt do, and to try and tell people "hey i'm innocent". its quite another to have the evidence that invesitgators do, with bonds and for bonds to act all "why me?" and all that nonsense. The rumors about bonds, mcgwire, arod, and so on were consistent and persisted for years.

With Griffey jr, he never was part of that discussion.

Also, he seems like a non flashy player. The users of this era, all sort of came out of nowhere, and started hitting 70 and 73 homers and 65 and so on, year after year after year. Costas referenced this in the mcgwire interview, something along the lines that in the past, few people hit 50 homers, then in the 1990's and 2000's all of a sudden you have a TON of players doing it.

Griffey jr, sort of is the guy, who plods along, out of the spotlight, and does his job, without the fame and without the fan craze. Thats another reason why I think he didnt use. These big home run hitters of this era are all on tv, in magazines, on the radio and so on. They are everywhere. Griffey jr, is no where to be found, but still, is hitting it out of the part, more often than anyone of his generation. As I pointed out, 4th all time in career homers. Yet, he isnt clamoring for the fame or the attention. He does his job, hits the homers and is a family man and thats it.

Why do you think Griffey is dirty? I flat out think Bonds is a user, and have the facts to back it up. If your gonna call someone a user, and in essence say their whole career is a sham, lets see some data and evidence.

dude, griffey was as high profile as a baseball player in seattle could be back in the 90's. don't let the last 10 years cloud your memory. he's been out of the limelight for a while primarily because of all his injuries. but back when he was in seattle, he was widely considered the greatest player in the game and one of, if not, the greatest since willie mays.

all that said--i do not think he did steriods. and i dont think one's popularity has anythnig to do with it either.
    www.myspace.com
    DewieCox wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    Pujols? I'd guess Howard long before Pujols. He hits the ball hard for high average. No secret to that formula. He could be 150 lbs and still hit that way. He's superhuman. The reason he gets doubted is b/c most people haven't seen a legit player on his level in their lifetime.

I really hope Howard's not juicing. I don't think he is though. He's naturally huge and a bit overweight (though he did drop about 20 pds last year). I've always suspected Pujols though.

Griffey was my favorite non Phillie growing up. Well, him and Will Clark. They both had the sweetest swing's I've ever seen.

I remember watching Griff take batting practice at Camden Yards in '98. People were going nuts chasing those balls in front of the warehouse.

Judging from their bodies neither one really looks the part.

really? pujols is pretty jacked.
    www.myspace.com
    Those who have studied Pujols in depth have concluded that he recognizes the pitch as it leaves the pitcher's hand. That's light years faster than the average hitter.

Oh, and eyed my friend, quite an excellent observation of my writing voice. You have gotten in touch with your inner-donkey.

Well done.

you two should get a room. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • IwasBit10IwasBit10 Posts: 646

While I do agree with your overall sentiments that Griffey is clean and a "good guy", these two paragraphs are a huge stretch. As Jeagler pointed out, The Kid was the biggest star in baseball throughout the 90s. Non-flashy? The guy wore his hat backwards in an All-Star game and pimps home runs like it's his job. Griffey was in the spotlight as much, if not more, than most of the 'roiders of his era. The key is that he didn't soak it up and toy with the media like Bonds. But certainly, Junior isn't sneaking up on anyone.

And as far as guys coming out of nowhere; McGwire hit 49 homers in 1987. Bonds hit 46 in 1993. Griffey hit 40 in 1994. They all peaked in the late 90s/early 00s, so the timing of Griffey's peak actually hurts him in this argument.
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,713
    Let's not forget that "greenies" and other amphetamines were used as PEDS from as far back as the 50s. Baseball has always been full of performance enhancers, or at least during the last 60 years.
    Which Maris and Mantle were well known partakers of in 61. (Mantle needed something to combat his nightlife)

The one true HR hitter is Babe Ruth, his PED's were beer, hot dogs and horny young women.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,713
    Did Junior use? I don't know for sure anymore than anyone else does, but it is my impression that he did not simply because I have never heard his named mentioned or tossed about in the debate. He never showed the signs of taking them and never had a mjaor spike in his homerun hitting that I am aware of.
    Perhaps you missed this tidbit:
    Poncier wrote:
    A jump from hitting 15, 22, 22, and 27 to 45, 40, 17 due to tendon issues, 49, 56,56, 48, 40 followed by declines to 22, 8 ( more roids injuries), 13, (further roid injuries), 20, 35, 27, 30...is an arc that screams steroid use staring in 1993 and ceasing around 2001.
    Thats a big spike, and precipitous fall off, occurring at roughly the same time as McGwire, Bonds and Sosa's spikes as IwasBit10 has pointed out.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    IwasBit10 wrote:

And as far as guys coming out of nowhere; McGwire hit 49 homers in 1987. Bonds hit 46 in 1993. Griffey hit 40 in 1994. They all peaked in the late 90s/early 00s, so the timing of Griffey's peak actually hurts him in this argument.

but you are forgetting something. griffey was only in his late twenties, early thirties in the late nineties. he was right in the middle of his prime (then injuries ruined the 2nd half of his career). bonds and mcguire were older and at the end of their careers at that time. that added to the suspicion.
    www.myspace.com
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Those who have studied Pujols in depth have concluded that he recognizes the pitch as it leaves the pitcher's hand. That's light years faster than the average hitter.

Oh, and eyed my friend, quite an excellent observation of my writing voice. You have gotten in touch with your inner-donkey.

Well done.

you two should get a room. :lol:

They won't let a donkey, or someone touching their inner donkey, rent hotel rooms. We tried... Maybe in Mexico.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    Poncier wrote:
    Let's not forget that "greenies" and other amphetamines were used as PEDS from as far back as the 50s. Baseball has always been full of performance enhancers, or at least during the last 60 years.
    Which Maris and Mantle were well known partakers of in 61. (Mantle needed something to combat his nightlife)

The one true HR hitter is Babe Ruth, his PED's were beer, hot dogs and horny young women.

The Bambino's performance enhancers also included the fact that he only had to worry about facing off against white pitchers and fielders (on the other hand the I think I read somewhere that the kind of sports medecine advances they have no could have probably extended the babes career giving him even higher numbers). Things are so different for pretty much every era so comparing players from differnt times or saying someone shouldn't be the home run king is the kind of debate that doesn't really end up going anywhere.
  • intodeep wrote:
    Jr was juice free in my book.

His numbers are astounding considering his injuries.

He got lost in the shuffle people don't realize how great he is/was.

there's some folks that know

WuoXMEck.jpg

now if the rest of the country would wake up...
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Poncier wrote:
    That's awesome! What a stud Babe was. A real man's man! :D
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    intodeep wrote:
    Jr was juice free in my book.

His numbers are astounding considering his injuries.

He got lost in the shuffle people don't realize how great he is/was.

there's some folks that know

WuoXMEck.jpg

now if the rest of the country would wake up...
    That's Steve Ballmer right? Who is he with?
  • i am almost positive that is NOT steve ballmer. Looks like him though.