Did anyone else think Inglorious Basterds was just okay?

2»

Comments

• jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    81 wrote:

i l iked them both, but as stand alone movies, Planet Terror was more entertaining. Zombie movies rule.

either way, it is best viewed in an older theater so that you can get the full effect of what they were trying to accomplish.

It tihnk it would be cool to see it in an old theatre ... we have a few here in SF. I love seeing old 70s movies in them like The Warriors or The Exorcist.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    Am I the only one who didnt love Inglorious basterds? It was a good film, not bad. That opening sequence with that man on the farm and the nazi general is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. The tension in that scene is absolutely perfect But I didnt love the film.

I love Tarantinos films. As a film lover myself, I look forward to each new flick of his, in large part because his own "fanboyishness" and his love of movies shines through. He just beams a passion for the art form. He is a film lovers film maker.

And I think he has had an incredible run of movies. Resevoir, Pulp Fiction, jackie, Kill bill 1 and 2, Grindhouse. And being the writer for From Dusk Til Dawn. That is a HELL of a run. I guess after loving Kill Bill 1 and 2 and Grindhouse, I was hoping he would blow me away again.

you're the first i've heard to say basterds was better than death proof...

i mean i enjoyed death proof but it just really didn't do it for me. it's definitely in tarantino fashion with the end scene and all (who was expecting it to end like that?).

but the first time i watched basterds, i liked it. i was expecting more. i think i wanted to see more nazi killing; there's honestly not much especially for a movie where it's just about some americans killing nazis. and i expected (spoiler alert) hitler's death to be more well...spectacular. i thought bear jew was gonna knock his head off or some shit like that.

but after i watched it the second time...holy shit! that movie kicked ass. it was amazing the second time. you notice so much more. like when hans landa sits down with shoshanna to talk and he orders a glass of wine and goes "and for her...she will have a glass of milk." :o HOE-LEE-SHIT. my reaction the second time viewing that was unbelievable...it just makes your heart drop.

but friend, being that it seems that we are both on the same boat here i suggest that you watch it again. it worked for me.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i've said it once
    i'll say it again... i (insert a big giant heart symbol here) it when nazis die...

i laughed several times during this movie.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    I loved it, but to each his own. Movies do different things for different people. I thought the movie "Crash" was a heavy-handed piece of shit, but somehow it won an Oscar for Best Film.

You are dead on about "Crash". What a pile of shit.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Im always the last one to see these movies. Just watched it tonight for the first time and was blown away. So f'n cool.

Not as good as Kill Bill or Pulp Fiction, but better than Jackie Brown, Reservoir Dogs and Grindhouse.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • rrivers wrote:
    I loved it, but to each his own. Movies do different things for different people. I thought the movie "Crash" was a heavy-handed piece of shit, but somehow it won an Oscar for Best Film.

lol @ Crash....gee...huhh I wonder id Matt Dillon ends up saving the black girls life?

as for I.B. I bought it on Bluray release day just because it looked like some I would like and was on sale....I loved it....I am going to wait a couple of more weeks and watch it again. Not a Sox fan, but it was darkly amusing when the bearjew gave the Ted Williams play by play....also enjoyed the bar scene...great movie however I did expect more "killin nazi's"
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Not a Sox fan, but it was darkly amusing when the bearjew gave the Ted Williams play by play
    That part was awesome. He bashes the guys brains in.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    rrivers wrote:

lol @ Crash....gee...huhh I wonder id Matt Dillon ends up saving the black girls life?

as for I.B. I bought it on Bluray release day just because it looked like some I would like and was on sale....I loved it....I am going to wait a couple of more weeks and watch it again. Not a Sox fan, but it was darkly amusing when the bearjew gave the Ted Williams play by play....also enjoyed the bar scene...great movie however I did expect more "killin nazi's"

I thought the bar scene was actually better than the opening sequence. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this film.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Tarantino, at his best, is masterful at building scenes before/around/after the scene you expect to see. Like in R. Dogs, you never see the bank robbery. On a first watch, you expect to see the bank robbery, but he never shows it to you. In Pulp Fiction, so much is made of the boxing match, but you don't see it. In the Bear Jew/Scalping scene, it is obvious a big ol' shootout/ambush just occured, but he doesn't show it to you. You expect more actual Nazi killin' from the Basterds, but he doesn't show it. His directing reminds me a bit of my own writing style in that I try to only reveal what I have to; you don't ever get the whole picture. That you have to piece together in your head.

I really loved this movie.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Rented this over the weekend....

Thought it was outstanding......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • This was one of three (catch up movies) on the weekend. The Bachelor Party and District 9 were the other two. The all were pretty disappointing after hearing the hype. So you are not alone.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    This was one of three (catch up movies) on the weekend. The Bachelor Party and District 9 were the other two. The all were pretty disappointing after hearing the hype. So you are not alone.

Do you mean The Hangover, or do you actually mean Bachelor Party ... because if you say the below movie is overrated ... we're going to have words!

45803_3.jpg
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    rrivers wrote:

I thought the bar scene was actually better than the opening sequence. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this film.

As far as the opening vs. the bar scene, they are both intense. I can't put one in front of another. The whole movie is just phenomenal.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • jimed14 wrote:
    This was one of three (catch up movies) on the weekend. The Bachelor Party and District 9 were the other two. The all were pretty disappointing after hearing the hype. So you are not alone.

Do you mean The Hangover, or do you actually mean Bachelor Party ... because if you say the below movie is overrated ... we're going to have words!

45803_3.jpg

Yes, The Hangover. So good I forgot the title. :roll:

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Not a Sox fan, but it was darkly amusing when the bearjew gave the Ted Williams play by play
    That part was awesome. He bashes the guys brains in.
    I actually cringed.
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?