Would You Marry Someone of a Different Religion?

SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
edited January 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I learned my lesson and this question is rhetorical.....NO.....believe me, it comes up
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I would if I loved the person enough to look past and if they love me enough to do the same. If it was a constant battle, then no.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Of course I would.
    I was brought up a Catholic to an extent. And whenever I do get married I would like for i to be in a church with a priest. But that is far more for traditional reasons than for any religious reasons. I just enjoy the trappings.
    If I meet someone of a different faith whom I love and want to be with, I would marry them regardless of their faith. If religion were ever to become an issue in a relationship of mine I'd have to presume t was down to her.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    Sawyer wrote:
    I learned my lesson and this question is rhetorical.....NO.....believe me, it comes up

I would say yes, now I'll ask would you marry someone of a different political ideology?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,959
    Seeing as how I am in no way religious, I would say yes. However, this is definitely an issue that needs to be discussed at length when you are in a relationship, sooner rather than later. I guess it depends on how attached one is to their faith, and then the extended family issues come into play. How religious are they? And how much influence does that have on how they view your relationship etc.

I'm sorry that things didn't work out for you and that this was an issue that couldn't be overcome :(
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • 37pheet37pheet Posts: 433
    religion to me is a joke money making scheme..... jesus was real and he was a carpenter... a REALLY good one. But stories come and go. Anyway way Jesus did it for the chicks....... religion doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't bother you.
  • BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    I would if I loved the person enough to look past and if they love me enough to do the same. If it was a constant battle, then no.

this. i'm not religious and if the person or the person's family tried to force their religion upon me than no. if their religious beliefs did not affect our relationship than i would have no problem with it.
  • mr.pinkmr.pink Posts: 362
    Benzor wrote:
    I would if I loved the person enough to look past and if they love me enough to do the same. If it was a constant battle, then no.

this. i'm not religious and if the person or the person's family tried to force their religion upon me than no. if their religious beliefs did not affect our relationship than i would have no problem with it.

Yeah, you'd have to be able to keep your opinions to your self about their belief, and they'd have to be one of those that didn't talk about it.... I guess.
    Twenty-ten watch it go to fire!!!
  • in many ways this question is similar to the race question: would you marry someone of a different race? I am hoping all on this board think that question is ludicrous and insane, and a non issue. The same should be said for the OP's question.

I often see this as a plot in movies and stuff. To me it reeks of an inability to be human. What could be more ridiculous than a parent saying "I only want you, as a christian, to marry another christian, otherwise I wont support your marriage", and that goes for all religions.

Plus the fact that religions are so closely intertwined, its sort of cutting hairs. Is Allah and Jesus and Buddha really all that different in their core philosophies and ideas and whatnot?

Now the political issue I see as different, A radical communist anarchist like myself has a radically different view of life and how to live it, in contrast to a right winger.

To me, religion is a non issue. How is a devout Muslim, devout Jew, devout Buddhist, and devout Christian all that different, really?
    Probably not! Possibly I could marry someone that said they were Christian or whatever, but didn't really think about what that actually means or ever talk about it. And there are plenty out there like that. Raised Christian, and claim it just for the sake of claiming it. But by all means, they don't spend any time thinking about it.

Still, I know myself and I will bring it up at some point. I can't see marrying someone who honestly believes some crazy, fairy-tale shit. You're gonna have to face logic with me. I was in a long relationship with a very smart girl, but she was Christian. I made her think about it and she couldn't deny it, so she's no longer "christian", and it wasn't an easy road for her.

May be a Buddhist :!:
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    depends on how religous they are and how religious they expect me to be
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
    in many ways this question is similar to the race question: would you marry someone of a different race? I am hoping all on this board think that question is ludicrous and insane, and a non issue. The same should be said for the OP's question.

I often see this as a plot in movies and stuff. To me it reeks of an inability to be human. What could be more ridiculous than a parent saying "I only want you, as a christian, to marry another christian, otherwise I wont support your marriage", and that goes for all religions.

Plus the fact that religions are so closely intertwined, its sort of cutting hairs. Is Allah and Jesus and Buddha really all that different in their core philosophies and ideas and whatnot?

Now the political issue I see as different, A radical communist anarchist like myself has a radically different view of life and how to live it, in contrast to a right winger.

To me, religion is a non issue. How is a devout Muslim, devout Jew, devout Buddhist, and devout Christian all that different, really?

I don't see it being like race at all, unless its just some tag with no actual belief behind it. Because that's all race is. If they actually believe that some guy died then came back to life, some guy parted a sea, or some guy flew straight up into heaven, and they think they know what happens when you die.... thats a lot different than someone just having a differnt skin color.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    agreed with mr.Pink

Race is nothing but physical. religion goes into your morality and ethics

assuming they're still practicing their religion. If they're not practicing, then it's just a matter of how they were brought up and I'd say it doesn't matter.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    My cousin who was brought up Catholic married a Muslim man.

All was good, they got married, he became very controlling, tried to make her wear the head scarf and adopt his beliefs. Wouldn't let her go out, mix with her friends, family anyone who wasn't Muslim.

She finally left him, she is now a cop. Chasing her dreams. Everything was rosie until they were married. Strange.

Now I'm not saying this is going to happen, but it can. I wouldn't want to marry anyone who tried to put any sort of beliefs on me, nor would I force them to marry me in a Catholic church. However, my father has been long term friends with a number of priests, guys who I have known since I was a baby. I'd like one of them to marry me in or outside of a church. More the connection with them rather than the religion.

Even poses problems within the Christian faith. My sis married an Anglican. Their son was baptised in a catholic church. My bro-in-laws father refused to speak to his son, or even see the grandson. SO this beautiful little boy spent about 6 months of his short life without one of his grandfather's because off his pig-headish values.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • I think the bigger question comes if you have kids as long as a religion isn't pushed on me I wouldn't care at all. But not being religious I wouldn't want it forced on kids, would rather let them make their own minds up when their old enough. Christienings or whatever fine but forcing beliefs on kids just seems wrong to me.
    I don't mean to offend anyone, a lot of what I say should be taken with a grain of salt... that said for most of you I'm a stranger on a computer on the other side of the world, don't give me that sort of power!
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Yes. Personally I don't think religion should EVER get in the way of my life. Just because I believe in god doesn't mean I have to revolve my life around it.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • So??
    Whats the deal???

You 2 broke up after 6 years, because of religious beliefs??? Really?? Religion became an issue after 6 years?
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    unbelievable
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • in many ways this question is similar to the race question: would you marry someone of a different race? I am hoping all on this board think that question is ludicrous and insane, and a non issue. The same should be said for the OP's question.

That's a bit naive. Religion can be a BIG issue to many people. You might not care what religion they are but there are a lot of things that make up your daily life when you follow one religion or another. To marry someone who follows a partiular religion can mean changing your own life in small or drastic ways anything from what you do in that day - to what you can eat. Some people will be able to make these changes, somepeople won't. Getting involved with someone who is a devout to a particular faith is a big deal.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    i am born to two parents of different religions...i've never really thought of it being a "big deal."

why should love be so restricted? if i'm jewish and love someone who is really catholic, why should i tell my heart 'no' just because she has different beliefs than me?

or if i'm in love with a black woman and i'm white, why should i deny myself the satisfaction of love just because she is of a different skin color?

why should two gay men be denied the right to love and marry each other just because a little thing called the bible said that it's bad?

our society is based too much off of religion.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    as long as i don't have to go to worship with them and they aren't a fanatic, i don't really care
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    Yes, if they were open-minded and accepting of other religious or non-religious beliefs. (And that goes for marrying a non-religious person too.) I wouldn't marry someone who would teach our children that they'll go to hell if they're gay, or who would teach them that all religious people are crazy, or who would disregard the great words & works of people like Gandhi because he was of a different religion. But I fully believe that different religions can peacefully co-exist and even work together, depending on the individual practitioner.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I think I would. I was raised catholic but don't practice my religion. I don't think I would change my religion for for anyone though.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    If we were open minded to see past each others beliefs then maybe. But I don't know really, it's hard to say unless I exprienced it. I've tried dating religious girls here in Utah and it just doesn't seem to work out. It also doesn't help that I enjoy doing things that aren't always religiously friendly drinking, the occasional gambling, and enjoying cannabis. (or at least in any form of Christian religion I'm aware of)

I'm in no way a religious man. Just my opinion, I kind of think religion is a crutch. However, I pride myself on being respectful and I don't bash on anybody's religion. That's not to say I don't have my opinions, but I understand that people make that choice willingly, as I do to not to be religious. Bottom line, I honestly don't think I would marry someone who was active in a religion...I just think it would make for too many differences, and not only do I don't want to put myself through that, I also don't tihnk anybody else deserves that.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    why should two gay men be denied the right to love and marry each other just because a little thing called the bible said that it's bad?

I totally agree. There is a fine line where things should and shouldn't be religiously influenced, and I'm afraid there are a number of important things that cross that line.

It's unconstitutional to enforce laws that are based off of religious beliefs. Our government's purpose is to protect our rights as citizens, and not to promote popular opinion or morality. But, this is another conversation entirely.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • all im saying is that religions are more similar than different. And that if someone is muslim and wants to marry a catholic, it should be a non issue, considering the fact that religion is so similar.
    all im saying is that religions are more similar than different. And that if someone is muslim and wants to marry a catholic, it should be a non issue, considering the fact that religion is so similar.

I agree with you that it shouldn't be an issue, but for a very religious person, the logic in this may be more difficult to see than it is for you and I...
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    in many ways this question is similar to the race question: would you marry someone of a different race? I am hoping all on this board think that question is ludicrous and insane, and a non issue. The same should be said for the OP's question.

I think there's a huge difference between 1) refusing to accept someone who looks different than you, because of prejudice and social expectation and 2) acknowledging that two different beliefs systems can sometimes be incompatible when trying to create a life together or raise children together, especially if you consider marriage to be a sacrament.
    dcfaithful wrote:

I totally agree. There is a fine line where things should and shouldn't be religiously influenced, and I'm afraid there are a number of important things that cross that line.

It's unconstitutional to enforce laws that are based off of religious beliefs. Our government's purpose is to protect our rights as citizens, and not to promote popular opinion or morality. But, this is another conversation entirely.

about this different conversation entirely: the government shouldn't be in the marriage business all together. Your taxes, and insurance shouldn't be affected by your marital status. Its nothing but discrimination. Ok, that's all.
    all im saying is that religions are more similar than different. And that if someone is muslim and wants to marry a catholic, it should be a non issue, considering the fact that religion is so similar.

"Religions are but different roads that converge upon the same point. What difference does it make what road we take as long as we reach our destination?" (Or something like that.) -Gandhi
    mr.pink wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

about this different conversation entirely: the government shouldn't be in the marriage business all together. Your taxes, and insurance shouldn't be affected by your marital status. Its nothing but discrimination. Ok, that's all.

I can agree with you on this. The other conversation I was talking about though was gay marriage, which the government could ultimately end the debate, but...they just won't do it. and yeah, I'll voice it: Gays should be able to marry with no problem. That has to be terrible to not be able to make your love for someone official if that is what you want to do, because of your sexual orientation. It's something that's not even worth the debate that has been started. I'm derailing this convo. Sorry everyone. :oops:

Back to marrying someone of a different religion.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL