Confirmed: PJ to appear on new Leno Tonight show

edited January 2010 in The Porch
with three rumors squashed in one night, we are in desperate need of some new ones.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,562
    MrSmith wrote:
    with three rumors squashed in one night, we are in desperate need of some new ones.
    i wouldnt watch. i dont care if pj, jesus, and george costanza were on it, i wouldnt watch it.

SCREW NBC
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    gndcd402 wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:
    i wouldnt watch. i dont care if pj, jesus, and george costanza were on it, i wouldnt watch it.

SCREW NBC
    Yeah - I will NEVER, EVER turn on Leno again... no matter what.

Luckily PJ will never go on Leno - they never have and I'm guessing never will.
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,594
    drsluggo wrote:
    gndcd402 wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:

SCREW NBC
    Yeah - I will NEVER, EVER turn on Leno again... no matter what.

Luckily PJ will never go on Leno - they never have and I'm guessing never will.

It would be a dark day in PJ history if that ever happens.
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • pateljampateljam Posts: 340
    It would be a dark day in PJ history if that ever happens.[/quote]

A dark day in PJ history... yeah just like if the band would sell out to a store like Target... oh wait... :roll:
    2000-10-28 San Bernardino
    2003-06-02 Irvine
    2003-10-26 Mountain View-Bridge School
    2006-07-09 Los Angeles
    2006-07-10 Los Angeles
    2006-10-22 Mountain View- Bridge School
    2008-07-19 UCLA-Who Rock Honors
    2009-10-1 Los Angeles-2
    2009-10-9 San Diego
  • If i lived in LA, i'd try to go just to start a "we want conan" chant or something, and try to boo Leno off stage
  • HubcapHubcap Posts: 15
    I would not watch leno is a bit stealing hack that needs to quit already
  • pateljam wrote:

A dark day in PJ history... yeah just like if the band would sell out to a store like Target... oh wait... :roll:[/quote]

Still mad about the Target deal eh....Get over it....If they are such a 'sell out', then cancel your membership, sell all your PJ stuff and STFU...Thank You... :shock:
  • SOLAT319 wrote:

Still mad about the Target deal eh....Get over it....If they are such a 'sell out', then cancel your membership, sell all your PJ stuff and STFU...Thank You... :shock:
    i smell trouble.... :roll: :roll:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Sorry for coming off so harsh, but I am so sick of the bitching about the 'Target' deal. PJ is a sell out. I think posting that is worse than telling someone to shut their pie-hole...No other band bends over backwards for their fans like PJ...enough said...Not my intention to start trouble on the board...Just sick of whinners... :evil:
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    what three rumors were squashed?
  • Dark day = American Idol and PJ lore.
  • inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    That would be the day I sell all of my stuff. I'm out if that happens.
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • pateljam wrote:

A dark day in PJ history... yeah just like if the band would sell out to a store like Target... oh wait... :roll:[/quote]

In PJ's defense, they struck the deal with Target as a distribution deal. Of course releasing an album on your own is hard as hell, and you need all the help you can get to distribute the album, so striking the deal with target allowed them to distribute the album in a lot of places....

also with the commercial...it's not like they had their song playing in the background of some normal Target commercial where they are selling other products...it was a commercial for PJ's new album and it told you where to get it "only at target"...sure the flashing target symbol in the background was a bit much, but i'm pretty sure that wasn't PJ's doing. It was Target who superimposed that on there, which they had a right to do. The point is, that commercial was selling their own product, Backspacer. It didn't say "here's a song by Pearl Jam, and now buy these clothes"...no clothing or any other product sold by target was used or advertised in that commercial.

I know the point of this ad for Target's benefit was for you to walk through the store on your way to the music section and buy the things you pass by, but i don't know about all of your Targets, but my Target placed the PJ display right next to the door, so i just grabbed what i wanted and checked out.

sorry, but in the way i think of it, it wasn't selling out, merely a way to easily distribute their album without the convenience of a distributing company, and to promote themselves and their own product, Backspacer.
  • IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743

In PJ's defense, they struck the deal with Target as a distribution deal. Of course releasing an album on your own is hard as hell, and you need all the help you can get to distribute the album, so striking the deal with target allowed them to distribute the album in a lot of places....

also with the commercial...it's not like they had their song playing in the background of some normal Target commercial where they are selling other products...it was a commercial for PJ's new album and it told you where to get it "only at target"...sure the flashing target symbol in the background was a bit much, but i'm pretty sure that wasn't PJ's doing. It was Target who superimposed that on there, which they had a right to do. The point is, that commercial was selling their own product, Backspacer. It didn't say "here's a song by Pearl Jam, and now buy these clothes"...no clothing or any other product sold by target was used or advertised in that commercial.

I know the point of this ad for Target's benefit was for you to walk through the store on your way to the music section and buy the things you pass by, but i don't know about all of your Targets, but my Target placed the PJ display right next to the door, so i just grabbed what i wanted and checked out.

sorry, but in the way i think of it, it wasn't selling out, merely a way to easily distribute their album without the convenience of a distributing company, and to promote themselves and their own product, Backspacer.

I agree, it was just for distribution purpose and also for advertisement?

It will take some people a while to understand this.... the band, Ed I think, did say that they thought about this carefully for a long time. And then gets dropped on us right away with the leaking.... inevitable, I suppose.

My hubby didn't like it... he still likes to go to record stores to buy LPs and CDs... and his favorite store just went out of business, and another one he really likes but a bit out of way also closed recently.

He's not really an internet person...and is "old-fashioned" musician. So this took him a while to understand...it was a lengthy discussion about how musicians can survive on their own and still getting out to the bigger audience. He understands and is still a bit uncomfortable with it but he's not dwelling on it.

I pointed out that they were still working the "old-fashioned" way by working with mom and pops record stores and still making LP records. They haven't gotten rid of their traditions.

Also, you have to consider their previous record companies.... c'mon, how are they really any different than Target? They had more control than this deal with Target. :P

Just my 2 cents.
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • AndySlash wrote:
    what three rumors were squashed?
    Conan, the Haiti thing, and i think the NY Knicks halftime or something.
  • Black10Black10 Posts: 160
    gndcd402 wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:

SCREW NBC

I don't give a shit who NBC screws over. If PJ is on NBC, I'm watching it..
  • shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,182
    I love how people have this bitterness towards jay. The dude has been #1 for like 16 years. The dude is a ratings beast. Now u don't think he is all that funny but he is a class act.
  • shadowcast wrote:
    I love how people have this bitterness towards jay. The dude has been #1 for like 16 years. The dude is a ratings beast. Now u don't think he is all that funny but he is a class act.
    a ratings beast? NBC is in the tank because of his ratings. he's not very classy either.
  • gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,562
    MrSmith wrote:
    shadowcast wrote:
    a ratings beast? NBC is in the tank because of his ratings. he's not very classy either.
    +1

conan is a very classy guy. he really cared about the integrity and tradition of the tonight show and would never allow it to change from its traditional 11:30 start. leno could care less about the show and had the opportunity to just walk away and leave coco, fallon, and carson daly in their respective timeslots, but nooooo he tried to screw everybody over. good thing coco was the better man and decided to leave as to not screw over fallon and daly
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,799
    Leno must pray to Hugh Grant like 5 times a day

his show is
    like a hooker who doesn't know when to hang it up

I'm glad his rep is takin a beating
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    I think Conan is much funnier than Leno and hate to see him get the shaft like this, but how can anyone blame Leno. Leno never wanted to leave the 11:30 spot to begin with. It was NBC that screwed up. You can't deny the ratings. Leno was winning the time slot over Letterman, but they had gambled 5 years ago when they promised the show to Conan. They assumed Leno would have lost the ratings by now. In order to keep their deal, they tried Leno at 10:00. It was a bad move. A show like that can't compete with original programming from the other networks at that time slot. Conan was getting it handed to him in the ratings by Letterman, and unfortunately won't get the chance to turn it around on NBC. Now, 7 months from now, he will probably get that chance on FOX or some other network.
    Brian
  • NCBRI wrote:
    I think Conan is much funnier than Leno and hate to see him get the shaft like this, but how can anyone blame Leno. Leno never wanted to leave the 11:30 spot to begin with. It was NBC that screwed up. You can't deny the ratings. Leno was winning the time slot over Letterman, but they had gambled 5 years ago when they promised the show to Conan. They assumed Leno would have lost the ratings by now. In order to keep their deal, they tried Leno at 10:00. It was a bad move. A show like that can't compete with original programming from the other networks at that time slot. Conan was getting it handed to him in the ratings by Letterman, and unfortunately won't get the chance to turn it around on NBC. Now, 7 months from now, he will probably get that chance on FOX or some other network.

i think coco should go cable, not fox...and btw i love your avatar, i loved the Whalers ;)
    MrSmith wrote:
    shadowcast wrote:

Ahhh Hello!!! Jay was #1 for 16 years during his tonight show romp. So yes that qualifies you as a ratings beast. Also there are some post's one here saying "conan is a very classy guy. he really cared about the integrity and tradition of the tonight show and would never allow it to change from its traditional 11:30 start. leno could care less about the show and had the opportunity to just walk away and leave coco, fallon, and carson daly in their respective timeslots, but nooooo he tried to screw everybody over." Give me a break it is well known throughout the industry that Jay is a class act. Also boo hoo, Conan got 45 million to walk away. This is the best thing that could have happened to him believe me he'll be fine. I love all these Conan fans out there expressing such out rage. WHere were all these fans when he needed them for ratings. I mean Letterman was killing Conan. You know who is not happy about this??? Letterman becasue Jay is going to come back to his time slot and be #1 again.
  • pateljampateljam Posts: 340
    SOLAT319 wrote:

i smell trouble.... :roll: :roll:

Smell trouble not at all... I think it is funny to get a rise from people that say STFU... then say sorry for being harsh... Thanks for the laugh Vedderhead1 :lol:
    2000-10-28 San Bernardino
    2003-06-02 Irvine
    2003-10-26 Mountain View-Bridge School
    2006-07-09 Los Angeles
    2006-07-10 Los Angeles
    2006-10-22 Mountain View- Bridge School
    2008-07-19 UCLA-Who Rock Honors
    2009-10-1 Los Angeles-2
    2009-10-9 San Diego
  • IamMine wrote:

I agree, it was just for distribution purpose and also for advertisement?

It will take some people a while to understand this.... the band, Ed I think, did say that they thought about this carefully for a long time. And then gets dropped on us right away with the leaking.... inevitable, I suppose.

My hubby didn't like it... he still likes to go to record stores to buy LPs and CDs... and his favorite store just went out of business, and another one he really likes but a bit out of way also closed recently.

He's not really an internet person...and is "old-fashioned" musician. So this took him a while to understand...it was a lengthy discussion about how musicians can survive on their own and still getting out to the bigger audience. He understands and is still a bit uncomfortable with it but he's not dwelling on it.

I pointed out that they were still working the "old-fashioned" way by working with mom and pops record stores and still making LP records. They haven't gotten rid of their traditions.

Also, you have to consider their previous record companies.... c'mon, how are they really any different than Target? They had more control than this deal with Target. :P

Just my 2 cents.

Agreed,
    I wish people would get over Target already. Every band needs a store to sell their albums. Who cares which store it is?!!! Really does it really matter!!? No. Thats like saying PJ sells too many concert tickets for my liking, their sell outs, Im not got to their show, It's going to be too big. Thats what their in this business to do people!!. Make a Living at selling tickets and records...so if releasing an album in Targat while doing your first independent venture is is going to help...so be it. You stil bought it didn't you? So dont bitch!
    looking up...wondering if there is anything that you cannot do....
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    here's a silly question, stfu? i think i know what the fu stands for but st? help a newb out. :?
  • cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    shadowcast wrote:
    [Give me a break it is well known throughout the industry that Jay is a class act. Also boo hoo, Conan got 45 million to walk away. This is the best thing that could have happened to him believe me he'll be fine. I love all these Conan fans out there expressing such out rage. WHere were all these fans when he needed them for ratings. I mean Letterman was killing Conan. You know who is not happy about this??? Letterman becasue Jay is going to come back to his time slot and be #1 again.

Yes, it's very well known that Leno is a class act. That's why when this went down, every late night show out there went after him and guests started canceling appearances. Leno gets mocked for stealing other people's material, so what does he do? Steals a joke from the Colbert Report, the night after it aired - he couldn't even be bothered stealing an old joke people had forgotten about. While the jokes from other shows were aimed at him stealing the Tonight Show back, his response was to go after Letterman for his infidelity - which saw him get booed BY HIS OWN AUDIENCE! And if his ratings were that good, why were local NBC affiliates around the country dropping his show? (hint: they were losing viewers hand over fist, and it was hurting their viewership for their nightly news).

Like Letterman said... there's the Jay we've known for 35 years...

Though I do have to agree on one point - Conan got monster ratings out of it, but those people should've been watching from the beginning. He has always been funnier than Leno, assuming of course that you like edgy intelligent humor and not jokes that have been stolen and watered down for mass consumption.
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I like Leno- but i like them all- they make me laugh and I'm watching PJ whatever show they are on
    hopefully something soon
    cajunkiwi wrote:
    shadowcast wrote:
    [Give me a break it is well known throughout the industry that Jay is a class act. Also boo hoo, Conan got 45 million to walk away. This is the best thing that could have happened to him believe me he'll be fine. I love all these Conan fans out there expressing such out rage. WHere were all these fans when he needed them for ratings. I mean Letterman was killing Conan. You know who is not happy about this??? Letterman becasue Jay is going to come back to his time slot and be #1 again.

Yes, it's very well known that Leno is a class act. That's why when this went down, every late night show out there went after him and guests started canceling appearances. Leno gets mocked for stealing other people's material, so what does he do? Steals a joke from the Colbert Report, the night after it aired - he couldn't even be bothered stealing an old joke people had forgotten about. While the jokes from other shows were aimed at him stealing the Tonight Show back, his response was to go after Letterman for his infidelity - which saw him get booed BY HIS OWN AUDIENCE! And if his ratings were that good, why were local NBC affiliates around the country dropping his show? (hint: they were losing viewers hand over fist, and it was hurting their viewership for their nightly news).

Like Letterman said... there's the Jay we've known for 35 years...

Though I do have to agree on one point - Conan got monster ratings out of it, but those people should've been watching from the beginning. He has always been funnier than Leno, assuming of course that you like edgy intelligent humor and not jokes that have been stolen and watered down for mass consumption.
    First and foremost I'm not pro Leno. Actually I think Conan is funnier but what really makes me laugh is the hatred toward Jay when all he was a rating BEAST for NBC on the “Tonight Show’ format. It wasn’t Jay that promised Conan the “Tonight Show” it was NBC. 5 years ago when they announced it . Jay was not ready to retire, he was #1 and was still #1 up till they changed the format. Basically they were forcing a Michael Jordan like player into retirement while he was still number one. Also if Conan is so great then why was Letterman killing him in the ratings? All Conan had to do was been beating Letterman and none of this would have happened. Anyway, Conan got his HUGE payday and this was the best thing that could happen to him.
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    NCBRI wrote:

i think coco should go cable, not fox...and btw i love your avatar, i loved the Whalers ;)

Cable would certainly give him more creative freedom. And regarding "The Whale", I'm seeing more and more Hartford jerseys in the stands.
    Brian