Guilty Pleasures.....

LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Defined as a musical group/artist that generates weird looks when you say you listen to them. We've all got them and some may be too ashamed to admit them. Mine are:

Natalie Merchant/10,000 Maniacs
Steely Dan
80's music (Hewie Lewis, Ah ha, Men at Work, etc)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    Defined as a musical group/artist that generates weird looks when you say you listen to them. We've all got them and some may be too ashamed to admit them. Mine are:

Steely Dan

ok, i'm sorry...but i don't think either of your first two choices are something to feel guilty/embarrassed about, at ALL. as to 80s music, well that's the prime of my youth and i will never be embarrassed about that, tho sure...some bands, yea.....
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539

Steely Dan

ok, i'm sorry...but i don't think either of your first two choices are something to feel guilty/embarrassed about, at ALL. as to 80s music, well that's the prime of my youth and i will never be embarrassed about that, tho sure...some bands, yea.....

I guess the definition may vary because a lot of people I know don't know steely dan or 10,000 maniacs/NM.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    NM is great.

All 80s crappy cock rock music is fucking terrible, cant understand why anyone listens to that crap, you know like def leppard. Nothing appealing about it in any shape or form.
  • This sounds like an "Other Music" thread, but whatever.

Yeah, Steely Dan and 10,000 Maniacs are too good to be considered guilty pleasures.

I might say Hall & Oates, although they are also quite talented.

Other candidates for me:
    Goo Goo Dolls
    Def Leppard (i.e. Love Bites, Hysteria - power ballads!) P.S. - Sorry Brisk.
    Journey
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    There needs to be a 'vomit' smiley :lol:
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977

Steely Dan

I guess the definition may vary because a lot of people I know don't know steely dan or 10,000 maniacs/NM.

well yea....i'm old. ;)
    and steely dan is perfection.
    natalie merchant/10,00 maniacs pretty damn fine too.
    love em both.

but sure, huey lewis, not that's embarrasssing...;)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    Brisk. wrote:

Yes that smiley for Hewey Lewis.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Defined as a musical group/artist that generates weird looks when you say you listen to them. We've all got them and some may be too ashamed to admit them. Mine are:

Steely Dan
    BabaBooey, I dig all those above acts. No need to be ashamed of anything there.

Since we're all friends here, I have something I need to get off my chest. I have a guilty pleasure band/artist that may shock people here. Please don't judge me. Rob Thomas and Matchbox 20. Love it.

Please know that I am a 27 year old heterosexual male who likes Rob Thomas and Matchbox 20. There. I feel much better now.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,716

Steely Dan
    BabaBooey, I dig all those above acts. No need to be ashamed of anything there.

Since we're all friends here, I have something I need to get off my chest. I have a guilty pleasure band/artist that may shock people here. Please don't judge me. Rob Thomas and Matchbox 20. Love it.

Please know that I am a 27 year old heterosexual male who likes Rob Thomas and Matchbox 20. There. I feel much better now.

Also a Red Sox fan, I won't hold any of it against you though...haha.
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    I might say Hall & Oates, although they are also quite talented.
    same here, love 'em!

although i feel no shame for any band i love. i figure it's everybody else's problem if they don't get it :D also love journey and def leppard
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    John Denver
    Styx
    Taylor Swift (gotta admit a few of her songs are pretty good)

oh and those that said Def Leppard - Pyromania is still one of my 5 favorite albums - fucking awesome
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Brisk. wrote:
    All 80s crappy cock rock music is fucking terrible, cant understand why anyone listens to that crap, you know like def leppard. Nothing appealing about it in any shape or form.

It's the era I started developing my musical tastes in. My first tapes were stuff like Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Thomas Dolby, Run DMC, Asia, Poison, etc. PJ (and Rush show I got into just before PJ) and a lot of the early 90's bands are what drove me down the path I eventually took. From there I broadened my horizons into all sorts of stuff: Phish, The Beatles, jazz, fusion jazz, classical, solo acoustic guitar, some funk, blues, you name it.

But the stuff in the 80's is what got me started. So I guess I have a soft spot for SOME of it.

Question: how old are you?
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    BinFrog wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:

It's the era I started developing my musical tastes in. My first tapes were stuff like Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Thomas Dolby, Run DMC, Asia, Poison, etc. PJ (and Rush show I got into just before PJ) and a lot of the early 90's bands are what drove me down the path I eventually took. From there I broadened my horizons into all sorts of stuff: Phish, The Beatles, jazz, fusion jazz, classical, solo acoustic guitar, some funk, blues, you name it.

But the stuff in the 80's is what got me started. So I guess I have a soft spot for SOME of it.

I don't think anyone has to explain themselves over 80s music....it's a whole range anyhow, just because someone says 80s doesn't specifically mean hair bands, or madonna, or whatver pops into your head when someone says 80s(Brisk). Ask nearly any band after the 80s and the members will have some 80s idol that inspired them.

My guilty pleasure is definitely not 80s. I blast that shit with pride!

Guily would just be chick music in general.....or something like john mayer....i roll with the windows down on that stuff!!!!!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I've been listening to Lone Justice lately. I love Maria McKee's voice.

And I bought Adam Lambert's version of A Change is Gonna Come for iTunes.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Bon jovi
    Hootie and the blowfish
    Darius Rucker
    Blink-182
    Keith urban
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    g under p wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:

Yes that smiley for Hewey Lewis.

Peace

Dude! Blasphemy! C'mon, it's hip to be square... :ugeek:

Mine:

Nickelback
    Creed
    Linkin Park
    Limp Bizkit

Just kidding, but if I wasn't, I'd welcome the ass kicking that would make my life flash before my eyes.

Seriously though, here are mine:

Sarah McLachlin
    Manfred Mann's Earth Band
    Dio -- Although I am in no way embarrassed about this. :twisted: :twisted:
    Bob Seger

Ya know, the more I think about it...I'm not embarassed about any of these.

Long Live DIO!!!! :twisted:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    BinFrog wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:

Okay 80s i completely generalised lol i just mean like power metal, its just the same generic boring drums beats (EXACT same sounding kits which are horrible), singers are annoying and boring, lyrics are so crap, same structure to every song etc.. okay a song doesnt have to be technically good for it to be good but still the whole type of music sucks.

Def leppard, whitesnake, poion, kiss ETC

I'm 19.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Brisk. wrote:
    I'm 19.

See there ya go. I am 33, and I can't stad the stadium rock crap from the 70's like Boston, Foreigner, Kansas (well, most of it), Journey, etc. I think it's all relative. You probably have a soft spot for some cheesy stuff from the late 90's because you have memories of it when it came out and was fresh.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Lisa Marie Presley- people don't believe me that we follow her and Pearl Jam- they look at us very strange- but people don't know how much they both rule
    Brisk. wrote:
    BinFrog wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:

Okay 80s i completely generalised lol i just mean like power metal, its just the same generic boring drums beats (EXACT same sounding kits which are horrible), singers are annoying and boring, lyrics are so crap, same structure to every song etc.. okay a song doesnt have to be technically good for it to be good but still the whole type of music sucks.

Def leppard, whitesnake, poion, kiss ETC

I'm 19.

Yeah, I'm 21...some of it appeals to me...mainly for humor sake, because 80's metal is just easy to make fun of. But let me say this, and Brisk, I say this with all the respect in the world because I generally love your posts and agree with your musicial taste.

If you EVER bad mouth Ronnie James Dio...terrible things will happen to you....and I mean terrible. Not by me, not by BinFrog, not even by Dio....but the powers that be will bring horror into your music loving life and rid it of all your good taste. :| ......

Okay, I know that was way too intense, but god damnit, it's Dio! Aggghh! I'd start a Dio appreciation thread if I didn't think that no one would be as pumped about it as I am. :P :ugeek:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    edited January 2010
    btw, Dio = Italian for GOD. :lol: :geek:

EDIT: My new avatar will steal your soul. :lol:
    Post edited by dcfaithful on
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • dcfaithful wrote:
    :
    Bob Seger
    Nothing to be guilty about there....Seger is one bad ass mofo!!!

I have to admit that a friendgirl of mine has gotten me to listening to some current country music...the likes of Jason Aldean and Gary Allan of which I like fairly well. I also use to be pretty big buddies with Randy Houser back in college.
    Yeah...and I know me some Carrie Underwood too...new album rips it!!! :D
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    dcfaithful wrote:
    :
    Bob Seger

I have to admit that a friendgirl of mine has gotten me to listening to some current country music...the likes of Jason Aldean and Gary Allan of which I like fairly well. I also use to be pretty big buddies with Randy Houser back in college.

I think the reason I love his so much is because of sentiment. I grew up with it because of my old man, so everytime I listen to him, I get a sense of comfort...reminds me of the golden days of childhood. :D
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • dcfaithful wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    :
    Bob Seger

I think the reason I love his so much is because of sentiment. I grew up with it because of my old man, so everytime I listen to him, I get a sense of comfort...reminds me of the golden days of childhood. :D
    That so true...I've actually been listening to hit greatest hits vol. 1 all week. THose songs always make me feel good and think about the past. Just great music. flat out.

CCR...because of my old man...kind of has that same thing going on for me....I think CCR is the first music I ever remember hearing...well, that or the doors
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    That so true...I've actually been listening to hit greatest hits vol. 1 all week. THose songs always make me feel good and think about the past. Just great music. flat out.

CCR...because of my old man...kind of has that same thing going on for me....I think CCR is the first music I ever remember hearing...well, that or the doors[/quote]

Vol.1 of his greatest hits is an awesome collection. My favorites are Night Moves and Against The Wind...so awesome.

I know my dad won't be here forever, and the day that he isn't, I wonder if I'll ever be able to listen to Bob Seger again. :(
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Posts: 1,188
    Hall & Oates. I kinda consider them a guilty pleasure.
  • Whenever I tell people I listen to all kind of movie soundtracks, they seem to give me this weird look. Especially when I tell them I once travelled to London to watch the Lord of the Rings-music performed by London Symphony Orchestra and orchestrated by Howard Shore :)
  • llovellove Posts: 106
    to please those Hall & Oates guilty pleasures...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Red3R17FlUQ

I cut my teeth on Fats Domino's Blueberry Hill. Then came the Beatles on Ed Sullivan when I was 8 and I fell in love with music forever. They opened up the musical universe to me and it's been a wonderful ride through these years, listening to the power of prose and music and how it lifts you up, brings you down, pulls you through and gives meaning to life and all the bullshit that goes down.
    makes much more sense, to live in the present tense
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    another great clip for hall and oates fans, kicking it way old school, i LOVE this song, one of my faves, 'do what you want, be what you are' :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6cGR9VDY08
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    Alright here goes. I am 31 and I have a 41 year brother so have influences from him and my dad.

In no particular order:

Eurythmics, Abba (shhh!!!!!! :lol: ), Creedence, Doors, Bon Jovi, Evanescence, Cold Chisel, Skyhooks, Roy Orbison, AC/DC, Midnight Oil, Crowded house, Chris Isaak, Dire Straits , the eagles...

Bits of everything really :)