Explain to me your poster addiction

JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
edited January 2010 in The Porch
I guess i'm just curious because i see a ton of topics about posters these days. I'm not trying to be a dick, just trying to understand.
I have one poster. it is Atlanta 2003, and i only have it because i was there. However, I have to admit, I have seen several others where I really liked the artwork, but i dont really buy posters because i dont know what i would do with them. I only have SO much wall space.

For you people who collect a lot of them, do you frame most of them? Are they hanging up? Are they in stacks under your bed?

I used to collect baseball cards, so is it kinda like that, trying to complete a set? or is it more like just collecting as many as you can?

personally, it seems expensive for something you just look at. but that's just me. ;)
Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• release23420release23420 Posts: 1,176
    some collect basbeball cards some collect pearl jam posters
  • I used to just get posters from shows that I have been to. But I am a big fan of Brad Klausen's posters and he doesn't seem to ever do the posters for the shows I have attended. So that is how I got started getting posters from other shows.
  • Check the framed poster thread for tips on how to maximize wall space for posters. That is, if you are interested in collecting these.

It's difficult to explain.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,325
    Well, for me it started out with one, the Randall's Island poster, and even though I liked it I didn't see the big deal. Then I bought a couple from 98, then 03 then 96 and the next thing I knew, I couldn't stop buying. I then started buying art prints, which cost alot more money. Before I knew it, I started selling my wife's jewelry just to keep up with my daily buys. Well after 2 years and 300 posters later I decided to check myself into rehab. 6 months later, I was cured. No more poster buying. But a few years ago I met someone who turned me on to Josh Keyes, Audrey Kawasaki, Shepard Fairey. Well now I'm living on the street and I don't think I'll ever kick the habit.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Well, for me it started out with one, the Randall's Island poster, and even though I liked it I didn't see the big deal. Then I bought a couple from 98, then 03 then 96 and the next thing I knew, I couldn't stop buying. I then started buying art prints, which cost alot more money. Before I knew it, I started selling my wife's jewelry just to keep up with my daily buys. Well after 2 years and 300 posters later I decided to check myself into rehab. 6 months later, I was cured. No more poster buying. But a few years ago I met someone who turned me on to Josh Keyes, Audrey Kawasaki, Shepard Fairey. Well now I'm living on the street and I don't think I'll ever kick the habit.
    Im picturing Hollis somewhere in New York City with a poster portfolio sitting on a cardboard box typing this into his laptop while someone throws $0.37 into his cup.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    it is artwork, so I don't see it as any different than being an art collector.

though, I only collect the posters to the shows I have been too, just because I would hate to have a poster that someone else would want who was actually at the show......

that's just me though.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Well, for me it started out with one, the Randall's Island poster, and even though I liked it I didn't see the big deal. Then I bought a couple from 98, then 03 then 96 and the next thing I knew, I couldn't stop buying. I then started buying art prints, which cost alot more money. Before I knew it, I started selling my wife's jewelry just to keep up with my daily buys. Well after 2 years and 300 posters later I decided to check myself into rehab. 6 months later, I was cured. No more poster buying. But a few years ago I met someone who turned me on to Josh Keyes, Audrey Kawasaki, Shepard Fairey. Well now I'm living on the street and I don't think I'll ever kick the habit.

haha, I was afraid you were gonna tell me you did a jim carrol for a poster! :lol:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • there are many feeling that can be conjured up by a poster...if it's a show you went to it can be a reminder of a great time...like my Philly posters...some people bitched that the art sucked but that's bullshit...they are really cool in their own way and when i look at them (in my portfolio case) they remind me of one of the best weeks of my life...each poster pertains to a different night...different preparty...different set list & all the awesome people i met!!

other posters...it's just about the cool ass art....it's no different from a person buying a painting they think will "go" with a certain room or theme in their house....i love black & red so the Dusseldorf and DC '06 are 2 of my favorites....also, the political meaning behind them is the real reason i liked them in the first place.

plus i mean...it's fucking Pearl Jam!!! most of us around here love music and PJ has a special place in our hearts and we like to express that love and show it on our walls! :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Check the framed poster thread for tips on how to maximize wall space for posters. That is, if you are interested in collecting these.

It's difficult to explain.

that's kinda what i figured. I could see getting into collecting them, I just dont have the $. So I tried really hard not to buy the ones i liked.
  • weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,292
    I only buy ones I like and plan on framing on my wall, but do not limit my posters to only PJ like many seem to do. I have about 12 posters, and 3 of them are PJ.
    Well, for me it started out with one, the Randall's Island poster, and even though I liked it I didn't see the big deal. Then I bought a couple from 98, then 03 then 96 and the next thing I knew, I couldn't stop buying. I then started buying art prints, which cost alot more money. Before I knew it, I started selling my wife's jewelry just to keep up with my daily buys. Well after 2 years and 300 posters later I decided to check myself into rehab. 6 months later, I was cured. No more poster buying. But a few years ago I met someone who turned me on to Josh Keyes, Audrey Kawasaki, Shepard Fairey. Well now I'm living on the street and I don't think I'll ever kick the habit.

haha, I was afraid you were gonna tell me you did a jim carrol for a poster! :lol:
    Those are the people that died, died
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
  • there are many feeling that can be conjured up by a poster...if it's a show you went to it can be a reminder of a great time...like my Philly posters...some people bitched that the art sucked but that's bullshit...they are really cool in their own way and when i look at them (in my portfolio case) they remind me of one of the best weeks of my life...each poster pertains to a different night...different preparty...different set list & all the awesome people i met!!

other posters...it's just about the cool ass art....it's no different from a person buying a painting they think will "go" with a certain room or theme in their house....i love black & red so the Dusseldorf and DC '06 are 2 of my favorites....also, the political meaning behind them is the real reason i liked them in the first place.

plus i mean...it's fucking Pearl Jam!!! most of us around here love music and PJ has a special place in our hearts and we like to express that love and show it on our walls! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

I think the Philly posters only work if you have the entire set of 4.

The DC is a great one - i would buy that one i think.

I only have 3 posters from shows i went too. I think if i started to buy more i would just have them under my bed for a few years and then would end up selling them.

But i agree that they are just pieces of art so its no big deal for people to collect them as such.
    Im picturing Hollis somewhere in New York City with a poster portfolio sitting on a cardboard box typing this into his laptop while someone throws $0.37 into his cup.
    Check out my new avatar.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
  • SKELLERSKELLER Posts: 165
    I collect poster because I think they are art and avoid those that look look like "rock posters" if that makes sense.

For example, I just picked up these two beauties and can't wait to get them framed. Even though they have nothing to do with any bands... some may consider them just "posters" but I don't.
    IS.php?id=152163&t=miIS.php?id=148723&t=mi
    ... and although I've never seen the band "The Decemberists" live (although I'm still a huge fan), I thought this post was more "art" then having to do with the band so I bought it.
    IS.php?id=138094&t=mi
    "I can't tell you how many ways that I've sat and viewed my life today." - Shannon Hoon.
  • SKELLER wrote:
    I collect poster because I think they are art and avoid those that are just "rock posters".

For example, I just picked up these two beauties and can't wait to get them framed.
    IS.php?id=152163&t=miIS.php?id=148723&t=mi
    ... and although I've never seen the band "The Decemberists" live (although I'm still a huge fan), I thought this post was more "art" then having to do with the band so I bought it.
    IS.php?id=138094&t=mi
    The Decemberists print Im currently having framed...
    IS.php?id=140452&t=mi
    That's art baby.
  • Im picturing Hollis somewhere in New York City with a poster portfolio sitting on a cardboard box typing this into his laptop while someone throws $0.37 into his cup.
    Check out my new avatar.
    :lol::lol::lol: Will work for '96 prints in mint/verygood condition.
  • CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    At my first show, I couldn't understand why someone would pay $25 or whatever for a poster when there was a bigger tour poster for $5 right next to it.

It didn't take long for me to regret that.

I slowly began purchasing posters for shows I went to. It was a personal "memories" type thing. New there was some cool art out there, but wasn't in to posters.

Then suddenly, late in 09, something snapped. I decided that not only did I want to hunt down posters for shows I went to but neglected to buy the poster for, but I wanted other posters that looked like total badass to me. Since then, I've been on a mini buying spree. I've purchased (or had purchased for me for gifts) 6 posters in the past 2 months for shows from the past or shows I haven't been to. I need to get some of these beauts up on the wall, but some will stay in a portfolio. I couldn't explain my addiction until last night when it hit me. It provides me with a whole new dimension to love my favorite band. I started visualizing the show poster when a song from that show came on my playlist. I find myself staring at them all the time. I made a web page dedicated to the shows I went to and the song stats a little while back, and I've since added a poster section... and I just go to the site and look at the images when I'm not able to look at all of my prints. I find myself more excited listening to live songs from PJ b/c I envision the posters. It's weird, but it's what gets me going, I guess.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
    Check out my new avatar.
    :lol::lol::lol: Will work for '96 prints in mint/verygood condition.
    And weird sex acts for Emek PJ. Females only need apply, thank you very much.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    a bigger tour poster for $5 right next to it.
    Don't you know that bigger isn't always better?
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
  • I originally got into the posters as something to keep my PJ mind occupied between albums. And (like many others) it spun out of control, veering away from Pearl Jam and into general poster art. And then I started designing and printing my own posters. All because I got that Ames Bros book.

For Pearl Jam, I try to stick to shows I've been to, plus a few others that kick ass.

My collection: http://www.expressobeans.com/members/co ... p?id=14202
  • all framed all up in my apartment...... count is at 32 with two more on the way.
  • EdVedder_1 wrote:
    all framed all up in my apartment...... count is at 32 with two more on the way.
    You almost have more framed posters than posts!
  • Dark StarDark Star Posts: 496
    The most popular answer to this question has not been stated yet, understandably. They collect posters to make a profit. The same reason somebody collects rare books, cards, comics, coins etc. Have any of you seen how much these things go for on ebay? There is definately a market for them, and money is being made. Sure, some people might hang a poster in their house (to later sell), and not everyone re-sells their shit, many will be taken to the grave with them so to speak, but the majority of serious collectors do eventually sell their posters for profit.

I don't own a single poster, but I do have some cd's etc I will later sell. ;) On another note, how fans get wrapped into this band because of their personal collections, rather than the music, is another topic for another day.
  • i have some posters to some of the shows i have been to(not just pj posters). i have no intention on making my poster collection complete.

i have no concert posters to any shows that i haven't been to. other than generic rock band posters that i had in my room, back in the old dayz...

i have an extra large suitcase+ full of rock/tour tshirts that i will never ever get around to wearing. i collect used ticket stubs also ;)

my nieces/nephews are gonna score big when they put me 6ft under
  • CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    a bigger tour poster for $5 right next to it.
    Don't you know that bigger isn't always better?

As far as concert posters: I do now. Not at my first show in 1998 when I just got in to PJ about 6 months earlier. :)
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • EdVedder_1 wrote:
    all framed all up in my apartment...... count is at 32 with two more on the way.
    You almost have more framed posters than posts!

You must have a HUGE apartment! Or you framed all Mini's... :D
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I've got only one poster from a show I wasn't at. The EV BAtman.

I've been to 5 shows, and have 4 posters from them. In 03, they had the same poster for both nights I went.

They are awesome. I Love it, but I have run out of wall space, and it is very expensive.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • To me it's art and i love it
    I could stare at these beauties all day
  • Dark Star wrote:
    The most popular answer to this question has not been stated yet, understandably. They collect posters to make a profit. The same reason somebody collects rare books, cards, comics, coins etc. Have any of you seen how much these things go for on ebay? There is definately a market for them, and money is being made. Sure, some people might hang a poster in their house (to later sell), and not everyone re-sells their shit, many will be taken to the grave with them so to speak, but the majority of serious collectors do eventually sell their posters for profit.

I don't own a single poster, but I do have some cd's etc I will later sell. ;) On another note, how fans get wrapped into this band because of their personal collections, rather than the music, is another topic for another day.

I was kinda wondering this, but I'm not sure i totally agree with you. I'm sure there are some people that are in it for the money, but dont you all just love the band firstly?
    For instance, I collected baseball cards thinking they would all be worth more money one day, but I never sold a single one, and I dont plan on it. I feel my collection became too personal to sell, so I hope I can pass them along to some kids one day.
  • trotti2trotti2 Posts: 82
    Ive been framing my posters from cities ive been to. thought about collecting only shows ive been to but dont always like them. I hang them around the house but mostly in the bedroom. I like waking up seeing PJ and different places ive been to because thats the only way im getting out of bed and going to work. Love Pearl Jam and traveling.
    Houston- 4/6/2003 10/14/2000 10/15/2000
    Dallas- 6/9/2003 10/17/2000 7/5/1998
    San Antonio- 4/5/2003
    Chicago- Ed Solo 8/22/08
    San Diego- 10/9/2009
    Philly- 10/30/2009 10/31/2009
    New York- 05/20/2010 05/21/2010
    PJ20- 9/3/2011 9/04/2011