ugh,...this angered me

doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
edited January 2010 in The Porch
i made the mistake of searching pearl jam on the nz auction site trade me... someone won a signed skateboard apparently when pj were here last year from a radio comp.. now they're selling it to pass it on to someone who will really appreciate it. for $500. why didn't they just let someone who really wanted it have it from the get go? people suck.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SH17171SH17171 Posts: 425
    Its all about the $ these days the radio station having a comp to get people to listen to the commercials, who cares wins it they don't give a damn :( :evil:
    Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    There was this awesome comp last year through my mobile phone company for the re-issue of ten. You could enter as many times as you want. It was for this framed poster where only 2 or 3 were printed world wide and some other cool thing, signed by them.

So naturally, I entered like a thoooouuuuusand times. And NOTHING. And I thought, someone who just entered for the hell of it, and didn't really care probably won it. And someone like me, who would of loved and cherished it, more than my first born child didn't. Maybe not that much, but you get the drift.

If you really want something, you'll never win it.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    edited January 2010
    doompony wrote:
    . why didn't they just let someone who really wanted it have it from the get go? people suck.
    Maybe it was more about the skateboard than PJ? Then they had enough of it and found out what it could be worth to some PJ freak. As long as someone is willing to buy it, someone will be selling.

I could say that it angers me people getting some fantastic work of arts (and not caring about the art but the value) only because they inherited it when I really, really want - and love - some of those masterpieces. They may keep the art for a bit then, when the market is right, sell it. Same kind of thinking, isn't it?

Just the way it goes. No need to get in a huff over something like this.
    Post edited by redrock on
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,056
    anyone in the states seriously after one of these?
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    so if you won a competition for a Ferrari and then found out you couldn't afford insurance you wouldnt sell it?

The guy won a skateboard... if i entered a competition for a signed Pearl Jam cricket bat and I won then i'd sell the fucking thing as well... its a skateboard. After 6 months the guy probably looked at it twice and then after hearing his wife go on and on about it sitting in cupboard collecting dust he's decided to sell it.

i think what i'm trying to say is... who gives a fuck :thumbup:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    the internet gives a fuck dude. the INTERNET gives a fuck. sorry for posting something so trivial. back to the pics where ed looks hot thread for me. this starting a thread malarky is serious business that i'm not cut out for.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    doompony wrote:
    the internet gives a fuck dude. the INTERNET gives a fuck. sorry for posting something so trivial. back to the pics where ed looks hot thread for me. this starting a thread malarky is serious business that i'm not cut out for.

what about winning that Ferrari though? ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,056
    seriously before paying $500 - people should simply check ebay....ones on there to riase funds for haiti also
  • LaddieLaddie Posts: 311
    dunkman wrote:
    so if you won a competition for a Ferrari and then found out you couldn't afford insurance you wouldnt sell it?

Not if it was a Pearl Jam ferrari! :mrgreen:
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    I guess I can understand why someone would be upset about this. :think:

But if you think about it.. It's a skateboard, right? Even though a signed one, it's still just a skateboard. (Sure, if it was a skateboard signed for someone especially, it could be a whole different thing.) Could be cool to own one, but if this person doesn't need or want it anymore, I don't think we can blame them for selling it.

Also, these are tough times, you're gonna want to make an extra dollar (euro, krona, pound) any way you can.

I get it if you're (not talking about the OP specifically) upset cause you really want it and just can't have it. Sorry if the winner didn't come knocking on your door asking if you really, REALLY want a Pearl Jam skateboard. I get it if the board is actually yours and someone stole it to make money. And one can be as upset about this as they wish, one just shouldn't be offended if other people can't share the sentiment.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    The last thing any fool wants to do is anger a pony named Doom...
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    to play devils advocate- maybe he's broke
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    doompony wrote:

ummm... the interwebs doesn't give a fuck abotu anything

sorry you have a problem dealing with reality... yes it sucks but what are you going to do?

besides start a thread to bitch about it on the message pit?

wait i know!!! NOTHING! ;)

have a great day!!
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    doompony wrote:

ummm... the interwebs doesn't give a fuck abotu anything

sorry you have a problem dealing with reality... yes it sucks but what are you going to do?

besides start a thread to bitch about it on the message pit?

wait i know!!! NOTHING! ;)

have a great day!!

wow. that was unnecessary. hope you get a giddy thrill from being rude to complete strangers on the internet.

anyway, what "angered" me was the idea that the band thought someone would think it was a sweet prize and donated it to the competition - only the person who entered didn't think it was a sweet price but saw it as an opportunity to make money. human nature, but it still sucks.
  • bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,092
    I'm with you, dp. I'm sure there were heaps of people entered in that comp that really wanted to own that. Instead someone entered it just for the sake of entering and won! Holds onto it for a couple of months (maybe less, maybe they only just gave it to him) and then flicks it off.

I've entered competitions before that I don't really give a stuff about, but I haven't won yet. If I do, I wonder what I'll do with my prize? I dunno, but I'll probably keep it, I'm dumb like that.

If it's any consolation, the buy now is $1000 and the reserve is probably around there. I don't think it will sell, don't forget international peeps can't use trademe and the market is a lot smaller (and perhaps less rabid) here.