Tax Time.......

SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,478
edited January 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
So, it is that time of the year again....

Do you owe???
Do you get a refund???

What will you do with the refund???

I am going to take my refund and take a vacation in June. We may go to the Grand Canyon, or we may go camping in South Dakota ( Mt. Rushmore). We are also thinking of going to Florida (Disney).

So?

If you have some money coming to you, what are you going to do with it?????
Take me piece by piece.....
Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,060
    All things practacle.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Save it till I get my ass a job.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    pay some bills. maybe buy a pizza with what's left over.
    Nice shirt.
  • Save it till I get my ass a job.
    How long have you been out of work??

Laid off???

What kind of work do you do???
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Save it till I get my ass a job.

Laid off???

Been out of work since November. I am a construction worker. I was laid off when the job I was on ended. The boss had nowhere else to send me or the 8 other people working so we were laid off. Things are slow so it might be a little while before I'm back. I am collecting unemployment and my health insurance is still intact so things could be worse.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Save it till I get my ass a job.

Laid off???

Been out of work since November. I am a construction worker. I was laid off when the job I was on ended. The boss had nowhere else to send me or the 8 other people working so we were laid off. Things are slow so it might be a little while before I'm back. I am collecting unemployment and my health insurance is still intact so things could be worse.
    I have plenty of friends in construction...

They too are either unemployed, or real, real, real slow...........No big jobs, no side jobs, no nothing.....

Hope when the weather warms up, you start getting busier....
  • WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    I usually get a refund from both the Fed and MA. My youngest do needs hip surgery so I'll be spending some and saving some.
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,414
    We're using our refund to go to Seattle/Portland in march. We've already bought the tickets...so it'll pay for hotel/expenses. Can't wait!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mfc2006 wrote:
    We're using our refund to go to Seattle/Portland in march. We've already bought the tickets...so it'll pay for hotel/expenses. Can't wait!!
    Nice!!!!

I refuse to take my refund and pay bills, or even put it in the bank....

I pay all my bills during the year....
    I save plenty of money during the year....

My refund is the Christmas bonus I dont get.....hehehehe
  • arqarq Posts: 8,013
    I'm going to save it until a tour is announced :(
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Sore subject this year- own a business, dissolved a partnership,sold our building, paid off our karat press now hubby and I owe $50,000 in capital gains- I know if we were really rich there would be a way out but not for us- we're just regular folk

gotta love our government

nothing to look forward to :(

please release the tour dates ;)8-) that would make everything better
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    into savings it goes. maybe buy some stock

i have a second checking account that i use as a vacation fund. every paycheck is split. X goes to my normal account, 200 goes to my second account. it adds up pretty quick.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    Refund is substantial enough this year to pay off a lot of our line of credit...

Line of Credit was used for some pretty hefty home improvements (finished the basement, landscaping) in teh last 18 months.
  • JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    I always owe...usually around $800. I work 2 part-time jobs so I always get nailed :|
    If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
  • MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    Jukee wrote:
    I always owe...usually around $800. I work 2 part-time jobs so I always get nailed :|
    That's a killer.

I see you are from Ontario - Anytime I have ever Owed, I take out a loan and put it in an RRSP before the feb deadline. That brings me from Owing to getting a refund. Then I pay part of the loan off with the refund, and pay the rest off over a year. It's better to pay money to yourself vs. giving it to the government.
  • JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    Thanks for the tip :D I'll definately look into it...
    I'd definately rather pay myself than the government...they already get enough money out of me!
    If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Jukee wrote:
    i'm with you.
    i haven't had a tax refund in many, many years.
    the tax dude has been fuckin me for a long, long time.
    it all started with owing inheritance tax.
    fuckers... :evil:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I did my return this morning...I am just about break even.....perfect tax planning!
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,283
    Well, if I get anything back this year, I"m pretty sure 90% will go to paying off my credit cards.

Yeah, it's pretty lame, but I'm sooooo sick of those assholes making money off of me.

The other 10% (which probably won't be much) will go towards a nice dinner or something.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,283
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I did my return this morning...I am just about break even.....perfect tax planning!

That's the way to do it!

It's always nice getting a refund. Not a big fan of the gov't getting an interest-free loan off of me because I know if I wanted a loan from them that's not how it would work. :lol:
    mca47 wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

That's the way to do it!

It's always nice getting a refund. Not a big fan of the gov't getting an interest-free loan off of me because I know if I wanted a loan from them that's not how it would work. :lol:

Anyone who has credit card debt, and usually gets a big refund, should reduce their tax withholding, and use the extra dough to pay-down their debt.
    mca47 wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

That's the way to do it!

adjust your withholdings, get a bigger check today and a smaller refund tommorrow
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    Haven't done it yet, but I'll probably owe around $1000. That's about perfect in my opinion. That way, I'm spending/saving my refund all year and borrowing $1000 from the government with 0% interest.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    idk how anyone can even know for certain yet!
    i haven't even received all my financial paperwork yet to work with.
    that said, once again did some year-end maneuvers that more than likely will result in a refund, hopefully as nice as last year. however THIS year, all savings baby. 2010 is all about saving. :thumbup: granted, a chunk of it may eventually go to a nice trip in october - pearl jam anniversary show where, perhaps? ;) but none the less will be a nice addition to our savings goals.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

it's easy if all you have is a single w2, without any real deductions or other additions.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

it's easy if all you have is a single w2, without any real deductions or other additions.

true.
    as long as you don't own any property, and/or have investment statements, etc....guess it's easy enough.
    even our taxes are straight-forward, but still....have to await ALL the investment year-end statements, tax documents, etc. already got our mortgage and property tax statements, tis all the rest we're waiting on.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

81 wrote:

true.
    as long as you don't own any property, and/or have investment statements, etc....guess it's easy enough.
    even our taxes are straight-forward, but still....have to await ALL the investment year-end statements, tax documents, etc. already got our mortgage and property tax statements, tis all the rest we're waiting on.

In the past, I always waited for K-1s, but since those entities are no longer around, I can get most of my statements online.
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

true.

In the past, I always waited for K-1s, but since those entities are no longer around, I can get most of my statements online.

yes, me too....but still have to await them being put up online.
    i don't have to worry about k-1 statements, i have no partnerships....but none the less....my investment account i have to await final documentation before moving forward. once i have that, good to go!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• pay some bills. maybe buy a pizza with what's left over.
    Sounds about right....hopefully there will be enough left over for a half case of beer to go with the pizza
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

true.

yes, me too....but still have to await them being put up online.
    i don't have to worry about k-1 statements, i have no partnerships....but none the less....my investment account i have to await final documentation before moving forward. once i have that, good to go!

What exciting lives we lead, eh?