Matt Cameron leaving?

joe2317joe2317 Posts: 151
edited January 2010 in The Porch
Will Matt Cameron bolt for the Soundgarden reunion? If so, how long do you think he will be gone? Will he return? As one of the godfathers of Grunge and beyond, I believe he is truly an iconic man and I hope he remains with PJ, but the only flipside to that is: what kind of Soundgarden reunion would it really be without Matt Cameron on drums? I wonder what Dave Abbruzzese and Jack Irons are up to?
* Oklahoma City Ford Center - Apr 03, 2003
* Kansas City Sprint Center - May 03, 2010
* Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011
* Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    joehale wrote:
    Will Matt Cameron bolt for the Soundgarden reunion? If so, how long to you think he will be gone? Will he return? As one of the godfathers of Grunge and beyond, I believe he is truly an iconic man and I hope he remains with PJ, but the only flipside to that is: what kind of Soundgarden reunion would it really be without Matt Cameron on drums? I wonder what Dave Abbruzzese and Jack Irons are up to?

No official comment, but I believe it is safe to say that MC will be with PJ for the rest of PJ's career.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • PNuttyJamPNuttyJam Posts: 837
    He's leaving forever. 10c members get to fill in for him at the shows as long as your membership was current the day the SG reunion was announced. I already called dibs on In My Tree at Jazz Fest. Get in while you still can.
    Mesa I - 11/93 * Toledo - 9/96 * Chicago - 6/98 * St Louis - 7/98 * Indy - 8/98 * St Louis & San Diego - 10/00 * Mt View II - 10/01 * Irvine I & II, San Diego - 6/03 * Chicago I - 5/06 * San Diego & SF III - 7/06 * Lolla - 8/07 * EV Chicago - 8/08 * Chicago I & II - 8/09 * Kansas City & Indy - 5/10 * PJ20 X2 - 9/11 * Atlanta 9/12 * Wrigley Field 7/13 * Moline & Milwaukee 10/14 * Wrigley Field I & II 8/16 * Wrigley Field I & II 8/18 * Ohana Encore I & II 10/21 * EV & The Earthlings Chicago II 2/22
    Won the lottery PJ20 Night 1 - Front Row in front of Jeff - Forever grateful to Ten Club
    ***I wanna live my life with the volume full***
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    PNuttyJam wrote:
    He's leaving forever. 10c members get to fill in for him at the shows as long as your membership was current the day the SG reunion was announced. I already called dibs on In My Tree at Jazz Fest. Get in while you still can.

Yeah! EACH Show will Feature a Different "10C" Member! lol... :P
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    I'm taking over for Matt on the next harrybu mccage tour.
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    I'm taking the skins when Pearl Jam plays Boston Lou's backyard... 8-)
    I love to turn you on
  • Change of drummers over the years have considerably modified the sound of the band. Each of them had it's own style of playing and it really shows over the different era/album. If Matt leaves, it will sure change the PJ sound that we have been used to over the last decade. I like Matt although he does not represent my favorite PJ era if you know what I mean. He's big on toms, less cymbals, completely different from the pre-1999 era. I love is contribution like In the Moonlight, Unemployable, You Are. But when Matt plays In my Tree or WMA, it does not sound right (to my ears), I prefer the album versions. That my own opinion...

If Matt leaves,things will change for sure.....
  • no chance

he'll do the reunion shows but pj is his job

what my homie and i were fantasizing/speculating about was could we get a goddam pj/sg double bill!?!?!?

a little temple o tha dog crossover between sets!?

could matty handle such an epic evening behind the kit!?!?!?!?

i know i could
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,535
    CJMST3K wrote:
    joehale wrote:
    Will Matt Cameron bolt for the Soundgarden reunion? If so, how long to you think he will be gone? Will he return? As one of the godfathers of Grunge and beyond, I believe he is truly an iconic man and I hope he remains with PJ, but the only flipside to that is: what kind of Soundgarden reunion would it really be without Matt Cameron on drums? I wonder what Dave Abbruzzese and Jack Irons are up to?

No official comment, but I believe it is safe to say that MC will be with PJ for the rest of PJ's career.

That's too isn't official. If something bond's back with Matt & Soundgarden, and they decide to make a record & get back to touring, what then? If Pearl Jam does find a new drummer, I hope then it's somebody new & hasn't been in any huge successful rock band.
  • joe2317joe2317 Posts: 151
    I vastly underestimated the sarcasm level in here... :mrgreen::D Very droll.

I hope he stays on for the duration too. Since I don't play any drums, I could only dream about filling in.
    * Oklahoma City Ford Center - Apr 03, 2003
    * Kansas City Sprint Center - May 03, 2010
    * Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011
    * Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011

demetrios wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:
    joehale wrote:

That's too isn't official. If something bond's back with Matt & Soundgarden, and they decide to make a record & get back to touring, what then? If Pearl Jam does find a new drummer, I hope then it's somebody new & hasn't been in any huge successful rock band.

Yup, you are correct. It isn't official at all. But, as Jimmy would say...

"I mean, come on."

jimmy%20from%20south%20park.gif
    :lol:

Timmy can kick Jimmy's ASS!!!
  • yes for a few days,he will go to Mykonos - Greece for some vacation,
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    yes for a few days,he will go to Mykonos - Greece for some vacation,

Kalamata is better! ;)
  • demetrios wrote:

Kalamata is better! ;)
    :thumbup: :clap: and has the best olive oil in the world... :D
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    demetrios wrote:

Kalamata is better! ;)
    :thumbup: :clap: and has the best olive oil in the world... :D

Ah yeah! 8-)
    My favorite getaway place in the world! :D
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I heard from an inside source that Matt is leaving. He decided to stick with Soundgarden where his drumming fits better with his style of playing.

One of the reasons why he quit is because of all the people complaining about how he sucks in pearl jam. He also said he loves koala bears and zebras and wants them onstage for their soundgarden tour.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Matt leaving PJ for SG would be like Jerry Cantrell leaving AIC to go work at Burger King....that shit ain't gonna happen!!
  • PNuttyJamPNuttyJam Posts: 837
    Matt leaving PJ for SG would be like Jerry Cantrell leaving AIC to go work at Burger King....that shit ain't gonna happen!!

+1
    Mesa I - 11/93 * Toledo - 9/96 * Chicago - 6/98 * St Louis - 7/98 * Indy - 8/98 * St Louis & San Diego - 10/00 * Mt View II - 10/01 * Irvine I & II, San Diego - 6/03 * Chicago I - 5/06 * San Diego & SF III - 7/06 * Lolla - 8/07 * EV Chicago - 8/08 * Chicago I & II - 8/09 * Kansas City & Indy - 5/10 * PJ20 X2 - 9/11 * Atlanta 9/12 * Wrigley Field 7/13 * Moline & Milwaukee 10/14 * Wrigley Field I & II 8/16 * Wrigley Field I & II 8/18 * Ohana Encore I & II 10/21 * EV & The Earthlings Chicago II 2/22
    Won the lottery PJ20 Night 1 - Front Row in front of Jeff - Forever grateful to Ten Club
    ***I wanna live my life with the volume full***
  • Matt leaving PJ for SG would be like Jerry Cantrell leaving AIC to go work at Burger King....that shit ain't gonna happen!!
    :lol::lol:
    Matt leaving PJ for SG would be like Jerry Cantrell leaving AIC to go work at Burger King....that shit ain't gonna happen!!

But it's not really Alice In Chains. Alice In Chains died when Layne Stanley died. I don't really care about this new Alice In Chains project. They shouldn't of been called Alice In Chains. Once the man singer, from the beginning the band started to sucess, to death, that's it. To come back many year's later to form the band again looking for another singer, is unfaithful in my book. You think Dave & Krist each day were thinking about finding a new singer for Nirvana? Nope, they took different directions. Started their own bands. Jerry did it with his solo stuff. But those didn't do so well, so what can bring him back some money, the name Alice In Chains. So he comes back finding a singer, a replacement for the legendary Layne Stanley. I don't like it at all. Why didn't the Band of Gypsys find a new guitarist & singer when Hendrix died? They didn't. Cause they kept the sound & image to what it was.

Whoa, sorry about that rant. I'm all against the new AIC project. That's just me. Back on the subject. If something happens, something is gonna happen. Soundgarden was an amazing rock band. With all the crappy new band's out there & the dance pop explosion taking our young kid's soul, it would be great to bring the rock back. RATM is back, but no word on a new record. With this rumor Soundgarden thing, you never know what will happen. Let's just hope with this project, Chris doesn't go back to r&b, for the love of GOD.
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,325
    I saw Matt Cameron leaving the Four Seasons Hotel in Philly the afternoon of 10/31/09. True story.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • I saw Matt Cameron leaving the Four Seasons Hotel in Philly the afternoon of 10/31/09. True story.
    :shock: link?
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,325
    I saw Matt Cameron leaving the Four Seasons Hotel in Philly the afternoon of 10/31/09. True story.
    :shock: link?
    I have the pictures in my camera. ;)
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • demetrios wrote:

But it's not really Alice In Chains. Alice In Chains died when Layne Stanley died. I don't really care about this new Alice In Chains project. They shouldn't of been called Alice In Chains. Once the man singer, from the beginning the band started to sucess, to death, that's it. To come back many year's later to form the band again looking for another singer, is unfaithful in my book. You think Dave & Krist each day were thinking about finding a new singer for Nirvana? Nope, they took different directions. Started their own bands. Jerry did it with his solo stuff. But those didn't do so well, so what can bring him back some money, the name Alice In Chains. So he comes back finding a singer, a replacement for the legendary Layne Stanley. I don't like it at all. Why didn't the Band of Gypsys find a new guitarist & singer when Hendrix died? They didn't. Cause they kept the sound & image to what it was.

well what about The Who??

Layne was the man...and of course they are not really AIC without him...but that asshole put himself 10ft deep with his habit and i never got a chance to see him live....so at least i will see part of AIC for the first time..they are one of my top bands and i never got to see them live so i'll take what i can get....and the Hendrix reference...i mean come on D!!.......no one knows who those other guys were..it was all about Jimmy!...and i don't think the world should be deprived of AIC because of Layne's dumb ass! (yeah...i have a problem with people killing themselves with drugs)...also i heard the new guy is really good...he's not Layne...but he is a really good singer from what i have heard, and they put on a good show.
    demetrios wrote:

well what about The Who??

Layne was the man...and of course they are not really AIC without him...but that asshole put himself 10ft deep with his habit and i never got a chance to see him live....so at least i will see part of AIC for the first time..they are one of my top bands and i never got to see them live so i'll take what i can get....and the Hendrix reference...i mean come on D!!.......no one knows who those other guys were..it was all about Jimmy!...and i don't think the world should be deprived of AIC because of Layne's dumb ass! (yeah...i have a problem with people killing themselves with drugs)...also i heard the new guy is really good...he's not Layne...but he is a really good singer from what i have heard, and they put on a good show.

I've only heard maybe 2 or 3 tracks from the new guy. It shouldn't be called Alice In Chains though. Name the band something else.

As for The Who, Roger Daltrey has been there since day one. The singer makes the band. When you hear that tune on the radio or turn to your tv screens as too who's playing, that image printed in your head, it's alway's be the singer. You can alway's find a drummer, a guitarist, a bassist. They are a dime a dozen. You can walk into a music shop and see somebody playing on any of those instruments. But you will never find that singer. If that singer impacted that band, made that band huge .. then in the end, if anything happens, let the name rest in peace.
  • U R A Crazy BreedU R A Crazy Breed Posts: 8,370
    edited January 2010
    demetrios wrote:
    I've only heard maybe 2 or 3 tracks from the new guy. It should be called Alice In Chains though. Name the band something else.

As for The Who, Roger Daltrey has been there since day one. The singer makes the band. When you hear that tune on the radio or turn to your tv screens as too who's playing, that image printed in your head, it's alway's be the singer. You can alway's find a drummer, a guitarist, a bassist. They are a dime a dozen. You can walk into a music store and see somebody on any of those instruments. But you will never find that singer. If that singer impacted that band, made that band huge .. then in the end, if anything happens, let it rest in peace.

i beg to differ D.....all drumers and guitarists are not the same or "a dime a dozen"....you can not replace Keith Moon...nor could Zep repleace John B. or Jimmy P.(i know..Page is still alive)....yeah the front man gets all the light and is the "voice of the band" so they are the ones that you associate with the band...but Pearl jam wouldn't be the same without Mike or Stone...even though Ed is the main man (IMO)...it usually comes down to who owned the rights to the name of the band.
    i mean i fucking love the old Van halen and HATE anything they did with Sammy...it wasn't Van Halen TO ME anymore but that's what they were called....it's one thing when there is a rift and a band breaks up or a guy leaves and it's a whole other situation when a member dies....i'm not looking for this guy to replace Layne...and he isn't going to...but i do look forward to hearing the old AIC songs done live.
    Post edited by U R A Crazy Breed on
  • jets521jets521 Posts: 804
    i have never been a fan of the whol Layne IS AIC. Cantrell is the mastermind of that band...writing all the music. he is just as important to AIC as Layne. Layne f'd up and checked out early.....so why should the rest of the band suffer.
    Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
    Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
    Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
    Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 5/21/10
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 10/21/13
    1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore - 10/27/13
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 4/28/16
    Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22
  • jets521 wrote:
    i have never been a fan of the whol Layne IS AIC. Cantrell is the mastermind of that band...writing all the music. he is just as important to AIC as Layne. Layne f'd up and checked out early.....so why should the rest of the band suffer.

WORD!! i feel where D is coming from but i agree with you on this one.
    demetrios wrote:
    I've only heard maybe 2 or 3 tracks from the new guy. It should be called Alice In Chains though. Name the band something else.

As for The Who, Roger Daltrey has been there since day one. The singer makes the band. When you hear that tune on the radio or turn to your tv screens as too who's playing, that image printed in your head, it's alway's be the singer. You can alway's find a drummer, a guitarist, a bassist. They are a dime a dozen. You can walk into a music store and see somebody on any of those instruments. But you will never find that singer. If that singer impacted that band, made that band huge .. then in the end, if anything happens, let it rest in peace.

i beg to differ D.....all drumers and guitarists are not the same or "a dime a dozen"....you can not replace Keith Moon...nor could Zep repleace John B. or Jimmy P.(i know..Page is still alive)....yeah the front man gets all the light and is the "voice of the band" so they are the ones that you associate with the band...but Pearl jam wouldn't be the same without Mike or Stone...even though Ed is the main man (IMO)...it usually comes down to who owned the rights to the name of the band.
    i mean i fucking love the old Van halen and HATE anything they did with Sammy...it wasn't Van Halen TO ME anymore but that's what they were called....it's one thing when there is a rift and a band breaks up or a guy leaves and it's a whole other situation when a member dies....i'm not looking for this guy to replace Layne...and he isn't going to...but i do look forward to hearing the old AIC songs done live.

Jeff & Stone started up Pearl Jam. But do you think if something happens to Ed, Stone & Jeff will find another singer & keep the name Pearl Jam? I doubt it. Look @ Mother Love Bone. When Andy died, did they go out and find another singer? Nope. Cause you can't find another Andrew Wood. Just like if something happens to Ed. You can never find another Eddie Vedder. Period.

The Van Halen thing was a joke. And still a joke today. There was so much hate on Sammy when they fired David Lee Roth. Many lost fans. Even with that Extreme guy came in. What a disaster that was. The Right Here, Right Now live CD/VHS tape was pretty good, but any song Sammy cover by Roth sucked. His singing was plain awful. It can't be done. The best is when David came back with Van Halen & day's later was up on MTV Music Awards all drugged up smiling presenting an award. Day's later they fired him. Poor guy.
    I'm not a huge AIC guy, but touring as AIC, or other bands touring under the full band name when the singer dies does sound a bit unkosher. I'd love it if bands decided do continue, and play their old songs, chose a twist their band name or music.

EG:

Grateful Dead = The Other Ones or The Dead

Alice In Chains = Alice's Chains or "AIC"

Pearl Jam (should it happen one day) = Jamming Pearl or something

It is odd seeing a band fronted by a completely different person than the original, but who is hired for their ability to sound like the original frontman. In the same way it's odd to see Journey touring as "Journey", even though their singer history was so unusual. They started with:

Steve Perry:
    281x211.jpg

then egos got in the way, so they hired another singer who looks and sounds just like Steve... and his name also was Steve:

Steve-Augeri.jpg

then Steve (the second one) was having some throat problems, so the band "eh... let's replace him too", and they did with Jeff Scott Soto:

img_7541_034jeff_scott_soto1.jpg

the band then decided "what the fuck... lets get another singer"... and so they did. They scoured YouTube and hired Arnel Pineda

arnel_pineda02.jpg

...also, in 2008, Journey re-recorded a number of their classic songs like "With Open Arms"... not for any musical changes, but to cut Steve Perry out from any royalties, having Pineda replace him on vocals - but recorded to sound identical.