movie, 'book of eli'

chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
edited January 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
this looks interesting, anyone else hear of it?

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810067275/details
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,991
    Watch 'The Road' - it's better. Actually, the book is even better than the movie. One of the best books in a loooong time actually.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Watch 'The Road' - it's better. Actually, the book is even better than the movie. One of the best books in a loooong time actually.

I havenot seen book of eli but i would like to see it. I thought the preview made it look awesome, but it is getting hit hard by reveiws.

The Road was a very cool movie, but I think they are probably two totally different movies. The road was depressing as hell apocalyptic drama. I think the book of eli is supposed to be a fun action type movie.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • It showed up on my radar a while back, only because Tom Waits has a part in it.. And that's enough to make me want to see it. :D

I'm reading The Road right now. So far it's been a hundred pages of bleak depression. But Cormac McCarthy is a solid writer so it works.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    The Book of Eli didn't get a press release over here. Any movie that doesn't get a press release, without fail, is always shit. I'm still going to see it though coz it looks like brainless fun, and I get cinema for free :)
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    I thought this looked good, and wanted to see it.

Now I'm not sure.

Plus, I don't like going to movies by myself. I feel like everyone is looking at me saying "poor guy". :oops:

I'll probably wait for the blu-ray.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
    the wolf wrote:

Now I'm not sure.

Plus, I don't like going to movies by myself. I feel like everyone is looking at me saying "poor guy". :oops:

Go to matinees at like 11 or 12 on the weekends. The best. And bring 2 or 3 brews with you. No shame at all. 8-)
    the wolf wrote:

Now I'm not sure.

I would not worry about that stuff man. I don't :)

I go by myself alll the time because my friends like shitty movies and if i want to see a good one in the theatre i have to go myself. I usually hit them up early saturday or sunday moring or go at night after dinner during the slow nights of the week. The theatres are usually not very full.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    the wolf wrote:

Now I'm not sure.
    No go for it. Don't worry what others think. WGAF.

I saw a TV ad for Book of Eli and it showed Denzel walking in slow motion (original) and a rocket hitting a building. I'll give it a miss. Go and see Sherlock Holmes.. great fun.
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    intodeep wrote:

I havenot seen book of eli but i would like to see it. I thought the preview made it look awesome, but it is getting hit hard by reveiws.

The Road was a very cool movie, but I think they are probably two totally different movies. The road was depressing as hell apocalyptic drama. I think the book of eli is supposed to be a fun action type movie.

On the spot.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i might go check it out. doesn't look to bad.

as for going to movies alone, get over yourself. sat and sun afternoons are a great time to catch a flick. theater is empty. even if you go to a prime time showing, nobody really cares.

i guess the older you get, the less you care
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

as for going to movies alone, get over yourself. sat and sun afternoons are a great time to catch a flick. theater is empty. even if you go to a prime time showing, nobody really cares.

Exactly. But I'm only 27...so I don't know if that's considered old to you senior citizens. But yeah, stay away from the big theaters too. Great for hangovers too. Dark room, no people, a couple brews for the hair of the dog, a gatorade, and a soft pretzel. Boom.
  • goin to see this after work with the old man

i'll report back later
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    haven't seen 'the road' yet, i will be sure to when it is out on dvd (if it isn't already!)

wolf don't stress about seeing a movie alone, i've done it myself, sometimes there are movies that only one wants to see, once the movie starts it don't matter anyway :)

i'm more intrigued to see this because gary oldman is in it, he's fantastic
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:

Exactly. But I'm only 27...so I don't know if that's considered old to you senior citizens. But yeah, stay away from the big theaters too. Great for hangovers too. Dark room, no people, a couple brews for the hair of the dog, a gatorade, and a soft pretzel. Boom.

i don't much remember that year, being old an all, but i do recall catching Terminator 3 which would been 03 when i was like 29 or so. i know i went to ones before that by myself. some of hte best times to go are noon on sunday, or any afternoon showing during a non holiday week day. you'll practically have the theater to yourself.

anyways, there is nothing wrong going alone. sometimes it's nice to spend time doing stuff by yourself.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    i don't much remember that year, being old an all, but i do recall catching Terminator 3 which would been 03 when i was like 29 or so. i know i went to ones before that by myself. some of hte best times to go are noon on sunday, or any afternoon showing during a non holiday week day. you'll practically have the theater to yourself.

anyways, there is nothing wrong going alone. sometimes it's nice to spend time doing stuff by yourself.
    i think i started going to movies alone when i was like 17. that was when i started getting into silent movies and foreign flicks, and either nobody i knew wanted to see them or the friend that i did have that was interested wasn't free. i don't think you should ever hold yourself back from doing something simply because you have to do it on your own, it's only a couple of hours anyway :)
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    intodeep wrote:
    the wolf wrote:

Now I'm not sure.

I go by myself alll the time because my friends like shitty movies and if i want to see a good one in the theatre i have to go myself. I usually hit them up early saturday or sunday moring or go at night after dinner during the slow nights of the week. The theatres are usually not very full.
    You don't worry about it, but make a point of going when it's dead in the theatres? :P :lol:
    I've never done it myself....I wouldn't care about the people I didn't know...it's running into people I DID know that wold make me feel dumb :D But...if I really wanted to see something and couldn't find anyone to go with, I'd do it fer sure....might have to for Avatar, as I'm the only person left in the world that hasn't seen it.

I think Book of Eli looks alright....it's not a book it's a weapon! lol...bad tagline...but I like the bleak-looking visuals. The Road should be good...Viggo's a good actor, and the book was really good (tho, as stated, depressing as fuck!)
    You don't worry about it, but make a point of going when it's dead in the theatres? :P :lol:
    I've never done it myself....I wouldn't care about the people I didn't know...it's running into people I DID know that wold make me feel dumb :D But...if I really wanted to see something and couldn't find anyone to go with, I'd do it fer sure....might have to for Avatar, as I'm the only person left in the world that hasn't seen it.

I think Book of Eli looks alright....it's not a book it's a weapon! lol...bad tagline...but I like the bleak-looking visuals. The Road should be good...Viggo's a good actor, and the book was really good (tho, as stated, depressing as fuck!)

i haven't seen avatar yet if that makes you feel any better!

my thinking is just, who cares what anybody thinks, i must have been old ahead of my time or something lol

and for someone mentioning sherlock holmes, i'm boycotting that movie. i am a huge fan of the sherlock holmes stories, and that movie looks like a straight up atrocity. blegh!

that tagline :lol: book of eli could either be awesome or awesomely cheesy. i'm down with cheese, anything to distract me works!
  • it was alright. nothing amazing but i'm a sucker post apocalyptic crap. i cant wait for the end of the world! its gonna be awesome.

i figure a lot of people will have a problem with the religious angle, but its not more religious than Avatar, just different mythology, so to speak.

and i goto movies alone because i want to. i cant stand going with friends or on a date. i goto watch movies, and cant stand it when the other person constantly looks at me like they hate it or whatever. just leave me alone!
    MrSmith wrote:
    it was alright. nothing amazing but i'm a sucker post apocalyptic crap. i cant wait for the end of the world! its gonna be awesome.

i figure a lot of people will have a problem with the religious angle, but its not more religious than Avatar, just different mythology, so to speak.

and i goto movies alone because i want to. i cant stand going with friends or on a date. i goto watch movies, and cant stand it when the other person constantly looks at me like they hate it or whatever. just leave me alone!
    thank you for the review! is it worth matinee or wait for a rental? this is how i rate movies lol
  • MrSmith wrote:
    it was alright. nothing amazing but i'm a sucker post apocalyptic crap. i cant wait for the end of the world! its gonna be awesome.

thank you for the review! is it worth matinee or wait for a rental? this is how i rate movies lol
    if you like doom and gloom stuff like i do, its a matinee. its a decent little action flick, with some problems.
    MrSmith wrote:
    MrSmith wrote:

if you like doom and gloom stuff like i do, its a matinee. its a decent little action flick, with some problems.
    i can deal with doom and gloom if there's enough violence. is there a lot of swordplay? i love swords lol
  • yeah there is a lot of badass fight scenes. the opening fight is awesome.
    MrSmith wrote:
    yeah there is a lot of badass fight scenes. the opening fight is awesome.
    oh well you have me sold then, i wanna see some badass fighting
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,845
    Is this about NY Giants QB Eli Manning :?: ;):lol:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • I saw the movie last night with a few friends and I gotta say this movie is pretty bad imo. The cinematography was pretty cool but everything else was kinda bad. I mean literally the script must have been no more than 10 pages. There was no real story. I mean it's like the person who wrote it didn't care to try to get the moviegoers into the world. The fight scenes were cool but they were kinda few and far between. The so called twist was bullshit, that's all I'm gonna say. I wouldn't waste my money. That's just my two cents.
    i saw it this weekend and i would grade it as a C

The fight scenes are limited, but the ones that are there are very good. I thought Denzel did a very good acting job, but others around him were not very strong at all.

In the end dont see this if you are looking for a film with movie of the year type quality. The plot has some holes in it, but it had enough good stuff going for it that made it enjoyable.

Worth seeing, but you dont' have to see it in the theatre.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    thanks for the reviews, sounds like a rental for the future (if that!)
  • twas dope

good action which is all you should be lookin for if yer goin to this movie

and of course you got denzel playin badass like as well as he ever does. not my fave gary oldman character but he does play the villain oh so well and does not disappoint here

go for it its good
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • I saw it it was awesome!
    really cool!
    could have been a little more clear in the beginning but it was still really good
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
    intodeep wrote:
    the wolf wrote:

Now I'm not sure.

I've never done it myself....I wouldn't care about the people I didn't know...!)

The biggest reason i don't go on Friday and Saturday nights is because the movie theatre is usually crowded and i run the chance of having a rude person sit next to me that is why i typically don't see movies on Friday or Saturday nights.

It is not that i never go. I actually went and saw Sherlock holmes by myself a couple saturdays ago at the 8pm showing because i had nothing else going on.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22