Kidney Stones

2»

Comments

• I had stones this pass summer. I was the worst pain i have ever felt. I thought i was dieing. I ended up staying in the hospital for almost a week. My stones were to large to be passed so i needed surgery to get them out. The problem was that they said my blood pressure was to high for me to be put out for the surgery. So they had to get my blood pressure under control before they would do anything. After they got the blood pressure down they were ready to go forward with the surgery. But then they told me because of a history of bad reactions to anesthetic in my family, they were just going to freeze the bottom half of my body and do the surgery with me wide awake. Basically they gave me an epidural. They put a scope up my urethra thew my bladder and up into my kidney and shot the little bastards with a lazer. I was awake during the whole thing. What a mind fuck. The only thing that was kinda cool i guess was that i was able to see the live vid on the screens. I actually watched the whole thing on tv live LOL

So they say it's like the pain one feels giving birth......well i felt that pain AND got the epidural !! I got as close to giving birth as any man can . Oh and after they got the stones out my blood pressure went completely normal. They told me a blockage in the kidney can cause high blood pressure.

I never want to go threw that again.........
    :shock: :wtf: :shock: :wtf:
  • I had gall stones. The pain everyone here describes sounds exactly how I felt (on and off for about 3 years before they finally figured it out). I think kidney stones may be even worse and if that's the case - :( :o :shock: Luckily I was able to have the whole damned organ taken out and now I'm in no more danger. I've been freaked out that they just jumped ship and are waiting to resurface. I know that's not exactly how it works, but if my body just likes stones... Yikes. I feel for you.
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    I had kidney stones about 18 months ago. Holy shit worst pain ever!!!! Seriously! I have had 2 natural drug free briths and I'm not kidding the stones were worse!!! I was rolling round on the floor crying - my poor partner almost called an ambulance cos we didn't know what was wrong with me, and then it passed and I felt fine! Very weird! Fingers crossed that I NEVER get them again!!!
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • HoltzmnHoltzmn Posts: 87
    skippybrew wrote:
    I had gall stones. The pain everyone here describes sounds exactly how I felt (on and off for about 3 years before they finally figured it out). I think kidney stones may be even worse and if that's the case - :( :o :shock: Luckily I was able to have the whole damned organ taken out and now I'm in no more danger.

I've had both kidney and gall stones, gall stones were nothing compared to the kidney stones. I've also had my gallbladder removed so thankfully I don't need to worry about that anymore. I wish I could say that I don't have to worry about getting more kidney stones.
  • Thanks, LennonMcCartneyFanatic....that's some great info. i'm still doing research and am hoping to see a urologist when i have real insurance

An update on me: I ended up NOT getting any better over the weekend...as a matter of fact, i got a fever the went up to 104 and my guy had to take me to urgent care on Saturday. the dr said i have (and i quote) "a rip-roaring urinary tract infection" and prescribed me a ridiculously expensive 2-week antibiotic and vicodin. i finally got a good night's sleep last night...but DAMN YOU KIDNEY STONES!
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    I had 3 of them pass when I was a kid. I never had them again. I didn't tell anyone about them back then, cuz I had no idea what was happenibng to me and I was scared of doctors. All I remember is feeling the worse pain I ever felt and then I pissed on myself, but felt instant relief. Obvious to me now, I pissed on myself cuz the stone had passed. The pain was so bad for that moment that I was numb. I couldn't move or anything. Then I had instant relief. As a kid, any pain prior to passing the stone didn't seem so bad compared to that moment of passing.
    I was just numb in pain. Its hard to explain. I know having a baby is easier!!
    Save room for dessert!
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    Holtzmn wrote:
    skippybrew wrote:
    I had gall stones. The pain everyone here describes sounds exactly how I felt (on and off for about 3 years before they finally figured it out). I think kidney stones may be even worse and if that's the case - :( :o :shock: Luckily I was able to have the whole damned organ taken out and now I'm in no more danger.

I've had both kidney and gall stones, gall stones were nothing compared to the kidney stones. I've also had my gallbladder removed so thankfully I don't need to worry about that anymore. I wish I could say that I don't have to worry about getting more kidney stones.
    You can still get gall stones. My bf's mom had her gall baldder taken out many years ago, but a few years ago she had real bad pain. They couldn't find the cause. A second hospital finally found she had gall stones in tubes that are left after the gall bladder is removed. It seems that stones can still build up in these tube things. They went in and removed them. I don't think they can pass. i think they HAVE to be removed.
    Save room for dessert!
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    Just be glad you're a girl... the description i have heard for male co-workers is, "Think of peeing... and there's a piece of sharp, splintered, thorned, broken glass flowing theorugh your dick hole".
    I had a scare... once. Turned out to be a bladder infection because I often held my peeing for too long.
    From what my doctor told me... steer clear of the 'cross-topped' vegetables (broccoli, calliflower, brussel sprouts, etc...), drink plenty of water (he also said cranberry juice was good) and pee when your body says, "Youz gots to pee".
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Thanks, LennonMcCartneyFanatic....that's some great info. i'm still doing research and am hoping to see a urologist when i have real insurance

An update on me: I ended up NOT getting any better over the weekend...as a matter of fact, i got a fever the went up to 104 and my guy had to take me to urgent care on Saturday. the dr said i have (and i quote) "a rip-roaring urinary tract infection" and prescribed me a ridiculously expensive 2-week antibiotic and vicodin. i finally got a good night's sleep last night...but DAMN YOU KIDNEY STONES!

Sounds like you could have Pyelonephritis (kidney infection). Make sure to stay on the antibiotic course the doctor gave you, as this could be a very serious condition if not urgently treated properly.
  • yeah--lennon, i'm definitely taking the antibiotic for the whole course, NO chances! I'm only taking the vicodin once at night, to help me sleep, but i'm only going to do that for another night or two, as i'm feling SO SO SO much better...I appreciate your advice :-)
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • I got them twice worst pain of my life. Last time in 2008 during the MSG SHOWS i posted here a few times about them. I hear ya nothing in the world compares to this pain. Even pregnant woman said giving birth didn't hurt this much. One I had for 2 hours the other 2 weeks.

Scott
    10/01/96 9/08/98 9/10/98 9/11/98 8/23/00 8/24/00
    8/25/00 8/27/00 8/29/00 8/30/00 9/01/00 9/02/00
    4/28/03 4/29/03 4/30/03 5/02/03 7/05/03 7/06/03
    7/08/03 7/09/03 7/14/03 <---front row shook hands with ed.
    10/3/05 5/13/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 6/01/06 6/3/06
    6/24/06 6/19/08 6/20/08 6/24/08 6/25/08 10/27/09
    10/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 5/15/10 5/18/10 5/20/10
    5/21/10 9/7/11