Options

Haiti Earthquakes

2»

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    jimed14 wrote:
    ... and then, there are these fucktards ...

http://animalnewyork.com/2010/01/haiti- ... st-aholes/

Jerkoffs, unreal.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    jimed14 wrote:

why am I not surprised these right wing nuts would say something like this.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    metsfan wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

why am I not surprised these right wing nuts would say something like this.

I know, fucking dicks for sure.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    jimed14 wrote:

disgusting.
    i was just saying to my boyfriend the other day that it would seem to me the most zealous religious people that preach about "love" and "kindness" seem to be the ones who hold so much hate for people they don't even know.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,434
    i don't have much. but will donate some money.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    haffajappa wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

disgusting.
    i was just saying to my boyfriend the other day that it would seem to me the most zealous religious people that preach about "love" and "kindness" seem to be the ones who hold so much hate for people they don't even know.
    Okay i just watched videos...
    did that second dick ACTUALLY just compare the devestation of an entire country to a terrorist threat that was thrwarted on an international flght? :roll: :shock:
  • Options
    theres a sick irony when you think about how much of this could have been prevented or reduced if people cared as much before as they do now... they were living in squaller long before... it takes getting crushed by it to be noticed...

wish them all the best
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    theres a sick irony when you think about how much of this could have been prevented or reduced if people cared as much before as they do now... they were living in squaller long before... it takes getting crushed by it to be noticed...

wish them all the best
    unfortunately a LARGE part of the world lives in poverty... and this hasn't been the first time a disaster has hit an impoverished area. I doubt that in a month or two anyone will give much notice to the social problems of Haiti and what they have gone through, just like any other tragedy that happens to a developing country.
  • Options
    PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    My heart goes out to all the people who are suffering this tragedy :cry:

It's just so sad, my prayers to each and everyone of them... :cry:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Options
    dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    Cross posted from the news thread -

You can also donate to Shelterbox, my friend is one of their volunteers and goes to disaster zones. They are on the way to Haiti. They do not provide food aid but work with those that do, to provide shelter and other essentials like water purification and the means to cook.
    http://shelterbox.org/
    http://www.shelterboxusa.org/

For info -
    We respond instantly to natural and manmade disasters by delivering boxes of aid to those who are most in need.

Each box supplies an extended family of up to 10 people with a tent and essential equipment to use while they are displaced or homeless.

Each box contains -
    A ten-person tent
    a range of other survival equipment including thermal blankets and insulated ground sheets, mosquito nets (if needed),
    a means of water purification
    A basic tool kit containing a hammer, axe, saw, trenching shovel, hoe head, pliers and wire cutters
    a wood burning or multi-fuel stove, pans, utensils, bowls, mugs and water storage containers.
    a children’s pack containing drawing books, crayons and pens
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    this is really bothering me.......

I feel the need to do something, anything to help.

I don't have the money at this point now that my household income just dropped by more than 55 thousand dollars :roll:

fuck....

i have close to 20 days of vacation time, 7 days of sick time, and still get 10 paid holidays off.

maybe I can find a group that is going there to help and just use some of my vacation time.

It's not like I'm going to have the money or anyone to go ON a vacation with this year.

Has anyone ever gone to a disaster area to help out? How do you go about it ?
    any info would be nice.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    I don't know if anyone read what I wrote in what are you thinking about but I thought I would put it here too. My cousin's plane took off from Port Au Prince 30 minutes before the earthquake. Well I am obviously thrilled, his work includes a charity orginazation in Haiti and this is a first hand account of what is going on. This is coming from a town outside of Port Au Prince. I know most coverage is centering on the capital but the areas outside are in terrible shape too.

I just made a donation through Doctors with Borders through the site. I would highly recommend for those of you who can to do the same.

Wolf I have tremendous admiration for what you want to do in lieu of money and I hope you can help...

Here is an email from the one of the heads of the school I mentioned above...

Dear Friends-

I received all of your messages. Thank you. I am in Puerto Rico and flying into Port-au-Prince on a charter fight in a few hours.

Communications are extremely difficult in Haiti as cell towers are out.

Jacmel was hit very hard by the massive earthquake. Miraculously our Cine Institute team and students seem to all be alive. The town lost many many buildings and presumably many more lives. In an urgent email from our school director, Andrew Bigosinski said, "There is no local rescue plan or capacity. No emergency food, water, blankets or medicine. The Hospital St. Michel collapsed. I joined 3000 others to sleep at the airstrip last night. You could hear the howling of people crying in town. Nightmarish. I never could have expected the ferocity of this quake."

Our own infrastructure at the Institute is badly damaged. We are gearing up to work on three fronts: get news out about Jacmel so help arrives there too, help family abroad confirm status of their family in Jacmel, acquire and distribute medical care, medicine, food and water to the town and surrounding areas. Internet is barely working so please be patient.

See first pics of Jacmel here: http://www.cineinstitute.com/about-us/photos/

If you have family in Jacmel send names and their details to <!-- e --><a href="mailto:info@cineinstitute.com">info@cineinstitute.com</a><!-- e --> and we will attempt to get news of them for you.

Port-au-prince appears to be nearly flattened and dominating the current coverage. It appears that there is no substantial infrastructure remaining to launch search and recovery and treat wounded.

The national palace, the UN HQs, the General Hospital, Medicins sans Frontier are all leveled. We are still trying to figure out just who is left that can be effective. So much now depends on how quickly the US, UN and others can get in there

and how effectively they can coordinate efforts.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    the wolf wrote:
    this is really bothering me.......

I feel the need to do something, anything to help.

I don't have the money at this point now that my household income just dropped by more than 55 thousand dollars :roll:

fuck....

i have close to 20 days of vacation time, 7 days of sick time, and still get 10 paid holidays off.

maybe I can find a group that is going there to help and just use some of my vacation time.

It's not like I'm going to have the money or anyone to go ON a vacation with this year.

Has anyone ever gone to a disaster area to help out? How do you go about it ?
    any info would be nice.

i feel the same way, anything to help.
    as far as i know, like what i read on the news sites yesterday, they are trying to find as many volunteers in Haiti first, and after they find out their numbers then will be taking volunteers from the US.

how you would go about volunteering, i'm not sure. but i'm thinking joining an organization might be your best bet.
  • Options
    does anyone nkow if they will be needing blood donations?
    i know when 9/11 happened they were taking blood donations at my high school despite being so far away over here.

i was just thinking about this yesterday
  • Options
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    so bad,,every day seems worst..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    now seeing scenes of looters, some taking advantage and trying to get money ... some are probably just desparate for food.

:(
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    now seeing scenes of looters, some taking advantage and trying to get money ... some are probably just desparate for food.

:(
    they said that they can't distinguish people trying to loot and those trying to salvage their belongings from their own home