Recipes

dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
edited February 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Everyone likes food, so how about we share some recipes? Vegan, vegetarian, carnivorous, whatever.. :)

A brand new one that was very delicious:

Zucchini Bisque

1. Sautee two cups of diced zucchini and half of a yellow onion in olive oil

2. Once they become soft, pour in two cups of vegetable broth, 1/4th tsp. of nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste. Put on low and let simmer for 20 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, in a food processor, puree 12 oz. of silken tofu and a tablespoon of olive oil, when the mixture is done simmering, stir in tofu mixer. As an alternative to tofu if that's not your thing you could always use heavy cream.

4. Serve and enjoy.
7/2/06 - Denver, CO
6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    My father is a chef by profession and I'm lazy so I don't cook that much...
    My friend however is all about the cooking and baking.

Her blog
    has lots of good recipes. I had some of that sponge toffee stuff last week... soooo good!!

I hope she doesn't mind me posting it here! :lol: :?
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,799
    This is gonna be a GREAT thread! :thumbup: I absolutely LOVE to cook and LOVE baking even more! I need to look for some recipes to contribute here...... :D

~Sen!
  • "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076

Aw, damnit. I searched and didn't find anything.. :x

Thanks dimitris. :wave:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    had this for dinner saturday night and it was unbelievable!

Peanut Noodles With Shrimp
    From the May 2005 Issue
    Related Links

Want to feel alert and energized? Repeat after us: protein, protein, protein. Here's a way to get lots of it, with very little saturated fat. (For an equally high-energy vegetarian version of this dish, substitute 12 ounces firm tofu, drained and cut in 1-inch cubes, for the shrimp.)
    Serves 4
    INGREDIENTS

* 1 teaspoon canola oil
    * 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
    * 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
    * 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
    * 4 teaspoons rice vinegar
    * 1/2 teaspoon Asian chili sauce (or 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes)
    * 1/3 cup natural-style smooth peanut butter
    * 1/2 cup lower-sodium nonfat chicken broth
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 8 oz spaghetti
    * 12 oz medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
    * 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and julienned
    * 1 cup snow peas
    * 1 carrot, peeled and julienned

PREPARATION

Heat oil over medium-high heat in a saucepan. Add ginger and garlic; cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add soy sauce, vinegar, chili sauce, peanut butter, broth, and salt; cook, stirring, until peanut butter dissolves. Simmer over low heat 7 minutes until thick and smooth. Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in salted boiling water 7 minutes. Add shrimp; cook 4 minutes. Add bell pepper and snow peas; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Toss pasta and vegetables with peanut sauce and carrot.

the skinny

491 calories per serving, 15 g fat (2 g saturated), 57 g carbs, 32 g protein
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

Thanks d2d! I will definitely be bringing that home to Jennifer and see if she's interested in giving it a shot. 8-)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Thanks d2d! I will definitely be bringing that home to Jennifer and see if she's interested in giving it a shot. 8-)

yea, i don't cook either. :D
    hubby made it and it was sooooooooo good!
    i know you're veggie, so let me know if you have it with tofu and how you like it.
    8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

dcfaithful wrote:

i know you're veggie, so let me know if you have it with tofu and how you like it.
    8-)

We're both fans of tofu, so I'm nearly positive it will appear in there. I'll definitely let you know how it goes. :D
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

8-)

We're both fans of tofu, so I'm nearly positive it will appear in there. I'll definitely let you know how it goes. :D

btw - we added scallions to the recipe, b/c to me authentic thai always has scallions. also, next time....we'll add MORE of the asian chili sauce plus some red pepper flakes. we like spicy. :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

here's another goodie:

Angel Hair With Spicy Shrimp
    Serves 4 Hands-On Time: 15m Total Time: 15m

Ingredients

* 12 ounces angel hair pasta or spaghetti (3/4 of a box)
    * 1 tablespoon olive oil
    * 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    * 1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp
    * 3/4 cup dry white wine
    * 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    * Kosher salt
    * 2 tablespoons butter

Directions

1. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot.
    2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute (do not let it brown).
    3. Add the shrimp, wine, red pepper, and ½ teaspoon salt. Simmer until the shrimp are opaque, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the butter. Toss the pasta with the shrimp mixture.

Nutritional Information
    * Per Serving
    * Calories 540Calories From Fat 21%
    * Fat 13g
    * Sat Fat 4g
    * Cholesterol 187mg
    * Carbohydrate 67g
    * Calcium
    * Sodium 456mg
    * Protein 34g
    * Fiber 2g
    * Sugar 3g

haven't actually eaten the whole recipe. used the 'sauce' portion as a base for some chicken-prosciutto ravioli and it was UNREAL! also substituted smart balance for butter and omitted the salt. seriously, it was awesome! perhaps someday get around to it with the shrimp and angel hair, but just the sauce base....perfection. i found it to be the perfect light counterpoint to a heavy pasta. and i am sure would work with non-meat, cheese ravioli, tortellini, whatever. so simple. olive oil, garlic, smart balance, dry white wine and crushed red pepper.

*in fact, i am having this sauce with spinach-ricotta ravioli for dinner tonight. YUMMM. thus what made me think of this recipe and post it. :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    At work, a group of us are on a slow cooker challenge. Slow cooker meals every day in Feb.

If I find a really good one, I will add it here.
    At work, a group of us are on a slow cooker challenge. Slow cooker meals every day in Feb.

If I find a really good one, I will add it here.

Oooohhhh, please do! :)

Seriously, I'm about to start a petition for a drooling emoticon... :mrgreen:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • have you tried the thai recipe yet dc?
    i must say, thanks to you (i think) hubby and i tried the morningstar black bean burgers last night - hubby topped them with a wee bit of melted shredded cheddar and a LOT of freshly made pico de gallo - and they were UNREAL! truly loved em! i think they will definitely be in our freezer from now on, and a nice alternative now and again from a beef burger. we've tried turkey burgers, kinda dry....these veggie burgers were moist, a wee bit spicy....great flavor and texture! :thumbup:

just found this recipe for healthy super-bowl foods. couldn't care less about the super-bowl and not doing anything for it, but we LOVE quesadillas, and these sound awesome:

Black Bean Quesadillas
    Ingredients
    Serves: 4 Prep: 7min|Cook: 13min |Total: 20min

NOTE: Ingredients for a changed serving size are based on a calculation and are not reviewed by the author or tested. Please also consider scaling up or down cooking containers as needed.

* 1 can (14-19 ounces) no-salt black beans, rinsed and drained
    * 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
    * 8 flour or whole wheat tortillas (8" in diameter)
    * 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded low-fat colby or monterey jack cheese
    * 1 cup salsa (optional)
    * 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream (optional)

Directions
    Place the beans and onion flakes in a small saucepan over low heat and cook for 5 minutes, or until warm. Mash the beans with a spoon. Keep warm.
    Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Place 1 tortilla in the pan and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the cheese. Cook for 2 minutes, or until the cheese melts. Spoon one-quarter of the bean mixture on top and sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Top with another tortilla. Carefully turn the quesadilla and cook for 2 minutes, or until browned. Repeat to make a total of 4 quesadillas. Serve with the salsa and sour cream, if using.
    Click here to find out more!

Nutritional Facts per serving
    CALORIES 463.5 CAL

FAT 13.7 G

SATURATED FAT 3.8 G

CHOLESTEROL 11.9 MG

SODIUM 861.6 MG

CARBOHYDRATES 56.7 G

TOTAL SUGARS 1 G

DIETARY FIBER 4.2 G

PROTEIN 29.3 G

Super easy and quick... I gave it 3 stars because I felt it needed more flavor so I added chopped green chilis, cumin, chili power, and cilantro to amp up the flavor.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

Not yet :(

We've been really broke lately and haven't had shit for groceries...but our trip to the store is tomorrow. I really want to try it though, it sounds delicious.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko Posts: 2,430
    diced jalapenos
    diced onions

mix them into ground beef.........grill.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • dcfaithful wrote:

We've been really broke lately and haven't had shit for groceries...but our trip to the store is tomorrow. I really want to try it though, it sounds delicious.

eh, i was just curious.
    and hey, should be a relatively cheap meal if you make it veggie...tofu and pasta, natural pb and some veggies....so not an expensive meal at all! even the way we eat it, with shrimp, we're sure to stock up on the frozen shrimp when on sale b/c we eat it at least 1-2x a week, and such a healthy choice that again, thinking long-term health, it's a wise investment.

hope you enjoy it when you get a chance!
    i've only had it the one time, but i hope it makes it into our weekly or bi-weekly dinner rotation. :mrgreen:

and, were you the one to rave about the morningstar spicy black bean burgers? i thought it was you, and if so, the dreamers thank you. :)

i'll let ya know if/when we try the black bean quesadilla recipe b/c that's veggie too and sounds delish.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• If you love your slow cooker (as I do) these recipes are super easy and I guarantee you will love them. I'm having friends over for the Superbowl and making both! Note: vegetarians avert your eyes!!!

Mom's Baked Beans

3 28oz. cans Bush's Baked Beans (I usually get Boston, Countrystyle, Original and mix them together)
    1lb. Bacon
    1 large sweet onion - chopped
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    2-3 Tablespoons yellow mustard
    3/4 cup ketchup
    3/4 cup BBQ sauce

Crisp up the bacon in a skillet. Move to a cutting board to cool, then chop it up. Reserve some of the bacon drippings in the skillet and toss in the onion. Saute the onion until soft and a bit carmelized.

Combine all ingredients into a slow cooker or a dutch oven-style pot. In a slow cooker, cook on low until heated through, stirring occasionally. If you use a dutch oven, preheat the oven to 350. Bake covered for 20 minutes, then uncovered for 20 minutes. This method makes the beans a bit thicker if you have the oven space.

And this from recipezaar.com- http://www.recipezaar.com/Pulled-Pork-Crock-Pot-131018
    So incredibly simple that it sounds like it would suck but that's DEFINITELY NOT THE CASE!!!

CROCK POT PULLED PORK

Ingredients
    4 lbs pork roast (shoulder or butt)
    2 large onions
    1 cup ginger ale

1 (18 ounce) bottle favorite barbecue sauce (I like Sweet Baby Ray's)
    barbecue sauce, for serving (optional)

Directions
    1Slice one onion and place in crock pot.
    2Put in the roast and cover with the other onion, sliced. Pour over the ginger ale. Cover and cook on LOW for about 12 hours.
    3Remove the meat, strain and save the onions, discard all liquid. With two forks, shred the meat, discarding any remaining fat, bones or skin. Most of the fat will have melted away.
    4Return the shredded meat and the onions to the crock pot, stir in the barbecue sauce. Continue to cook for another 4 to 6 hours on LOW.
    5Serve with hamburger buns or rolls and additional barbecue sauce. Any leftovers freeze very well.
    6TIP: freeze ready-made sandwiches - a scoop of meat on a bun, well-wrapped. These make a great quick meal or snack. To reheat, remove wrapping, wrap in a paper towel, and zap 1-2 minute in the microwave.
    7Note: Shoulder or butt are recommended because the meat shreds very well. Other cuts do not shred as readily. It is a fattier cut, but the fat melts away in the cooking and is poured away when you discard the liquid.
    8Note 2: I have an older, smaller crock pot. The above times work perfectly for me. But if you have a newer or bigger crock pot, you may need to revise times downward, esp. after the bbq sauce is added. I think you need at least a couple of hours for it all to meld, but that may be all you need.
    9Note3: You might want to turn your roast over after it's cooked a while, to ensure more even cooking. I think this may depend on the size and shape of your roast and the size of your slow cooker. Remember that each time you remove the lid you lose heat and be careful, as turning a large piece of meat is awkward.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Great for the Super Bowl: Spinach & Artichoke Dip

1 package cream cheese
    1 (14 oz.) artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
    1/2 cup spinach, drained and chopped
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup Romano cheese
    1 clove garlic, finely minced
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    OR
    1 tablespoon fresh basil
    1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
    1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
    salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Allow cream cheese to come to room temp. Cream together mayonnaise, Parmesan, Romano, garlic, basil, and garlic salt. Mix well. Add the artichoke hearts and spinach, and mix until blended, Store in a container until you are ready to use. Spray pan with PAM, pour in dip, and top with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 min. or until the top is browned, Serve with toasted bread or chips.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    Sugar Snap Pea & Shrimp Curry

Ingredients
    2 tablespoon(s) canola oil
    2 tablespoon(s) Madras curry powder
    1 1/2 pound(s) raw shrimp, (16-20 per pound), peeled and deveined
    1 pound(s) sugar snap peas, trimmed
    1 cup(s) "lite" coconut milk
    1/4 cup(s) lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon(s) salt

Directions
    Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add curry powder and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add shrimp and peas and cook, stirring, until the shrimp are almost cooked through, about 4 minutes. Stir in coconut milk, lemon juice and salt. Bring to a boil and cook until the shrimp have cooked through, about 2 minutes more.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Binfrog, this recipe ^^^ sounds good. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • LINGUINE WITH WHITE CLAM SAUCE
    1 lg. white onion
    4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
    4 tbsp. olive oil
    2+ garlic cloves, minced
    2 (4 oz.) cans minced clams (1 can drained; juice from the other can reserved)
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 lb. linguine, cooked al dente
    1/3 c. minced fresh parsley
    Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
    Saute the onion in the butter and oil. Over medium heat, stir in the garlic. Add the clams and the juice from 1 can. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, then season with salt and pepper. Add the sauce to the cooked pasta and toss well. Add the parsley and toss again. Top with freshly grated Parmesan
    Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse
    Of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    here's another goodie:

Angel Hair With Spicy Shrimp
    Serves 4 Hands-On Time: 15m Total Time: 15m

Ingredients

* 12 ounces angel hair pasta or spaghetti (3/4 of a box)
    * 1 tablespoon olive oil
    * 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    * 1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp
    * 3/4 cup dry white wine
    * 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    * Kosher salt
    * 2 tablespoons butter

Directions

1. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot.
    2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute (do not let it brown).
    3. Add the shrimp, wine, red pepper, and ½ teaspoon salt. Simmer until the shrimp are opaque, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the butter. Toss the pasta with the shrimp mixture.

Nutritional Information
    * Per Serving
    * Calories 540Calories From Fat 21%
    * Fat 13g
    * Sat Fat 4g
    * Cholesterol 187mg
    * Carbohydrate 67g
    * Calcium
    * Sodium 456mg
    * Protein 34g
    * Fiber 2g
    * Sugar 3g

haven't actually eaten the whole recipe. used the 'sauce' portion as a base for some chicken-prosciutto ravioli and it was UNREAL! also substituted smart balance for butter and omitted the salt. seriously, it was awesome! perhaps someday get around to it with the shrimp and angel hair, but just the sauce base....perfection. i found it to be the perfect light counterpoint to a heavy pasta. and i am sure would work with non-meat, cheese ravioli, tortellini, whatever. so simple. olive oil, garlic, smart balance, dry white wine and crushed red pepper.

*in fact, i am having this sauce with spinach-ricotta ravioli for dinner tonight. YUMMM. thus what made me think of this recipe and post it. :mrgreen:

I really want to make this!

For an appetizer for a football game i made bacon wrapped spicy shrimp and bacon wrapped potatoes.

I had never had the potatoes before and was a little leary of trying them. But they were DELICIOUS! Everyone was pleasantly surprised.

The recipe is here:

http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/ente ... uce-080658
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    ajedigecko wrote:
    diced jalapenos
    diced onions

Potatoes go well with this mix too!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
    m0jorisen wrote:
    LINGUINE WITH WHITE CLAM SAUCE
    1 lg. white onion
    4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
    4 tbsp. olive oil
    2+ garlic cloves, minced
    2 (4 oz.) cans minced clams (1 can drained; juice from the other can reserved)
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 lb. linguine, cooked al dente
    1/3 c. minced fresh parsley
    Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
    Saute the onion in the butter and oil. Over medium heat, stir in the garlic. Add the clams and the juice from 1 can. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, then season with salt and pepper. Add the sauce to the cooked pasta and toss well. Add the parsley and toss again. Top with freshly grated Parmesan

My red clam sauce is legendary :)
    BinFrog wrote:
    Great for the Super Bowl: Spinach & Artichoke Dip

1 package cream cheese
    1 (14 oz.) artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
    1/2 cup spinach, drained and chopped
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup Romano cheese
    1 clove garlic, finely minced
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    OR
    1 tablespoon fresh basil
    1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
    1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
    salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Allow cream cheese to come to room temp. Cream together mayonnaise, Parmesan, Romano, garlic, basil, and garlic salt. Mix well. Add the artichoke hearts and spinach, and mix until blended, Store in a container until you are ready to use. Spray pan with PAM, pour in dip, and top with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 min. or until the top is browned, Serve with toasted bread or chips.

Seriously, nothing beats a good spinach and artichoke dip.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:

eh, i was just curious.
    and hey, should be a relatively cheap meal if you make it veggie...tofu and pasta, natural pb and some veggies....so not an expensive meal at all! even the way we eat it, with shrimp, we're sure to stock up on the frozen shrimp when on sale b/c we eat it at least 1-2x a week, and such a healthy choice that again, thinking long-term health, it's a wise investment.

hope you enjoy it when you get a chance!
    i've only had it the one time, but i hope it makes it into our weekly or bi-weekly dinner rotation. :mrgreen:

and, were you the one to rave about the morningstar spicy black bean burgers? i thought it was you, and if so, the dreamers thank you. :)

i'll let ya know if/when we try the black bean quesadilla recipe b/c that's veggie too and sounds delish.

It probably was me because absolutely love those veggie burgers -- delish! Glad you liked them. :D

We're going shopping tomorrow and will be stocking up for sure. I definitely want to try this recipe...it sounds so good. I'm really into the idea of the black bean quesadillas too....my kind of food.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko Posts: 2,430
    Lizardjam wrote:
    ajedigecko wrote:
    diced jalapenos
    diced onions

Potatoes go well with this mix too!
    good idea....i will try it.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • great sausage dip for parties or just whatever.

1lb HOT sausage
    1 can of HOT rotel
    1 package of cream cheese
    cook sausage until brown, drain.
    put the rotel and cream cheese in a bowl. (if u dont like alot of rotel tomatoes then dont put all of it in there) and put it in the microwave until hot, stir rotel and cream cheese together and the add the sausage. get tortila chips and enjoy.

this shit is great!
    I'll be back
  • La Toaste Exquisite:

2 slices bread (white or wholegrain)
    Butter/Jam/Spread

Place bread into toaster at medium setting until ready
    Spread with your choice of either butter, jam or any other spread
    Serves 1
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Best Cocoa Brownies

The recipe says it makes 16 larger or 25 smaller brownies - dunno...I got 9 fucking big ones personally :D
    I shit you not...you will never want to buy pre-mixed brownies ever again.

10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks, 5 ounces or 141 grams) unsalted butter
    1 1/4 cups (9 7/8 ounces, 280 grams) sugar
    3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (2 7/8 ounces, 82 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder (natural or Dutch-process)
    1/4 teaspoon salt (or a heaping 1/4 teaspoon flaky salt, as I used)
    1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    2 large eggs, cold
    1/2 cup (66 grams, 2 3/8 ounces) all-purpose flour
    2/3 cup walnut or pecan pieces (optional)
    1/8 oz. killer weed (also optional) :mrgreen:

Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 325°F. Line the bottom and sides of an 8×8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper or foil, leaving an overhang on two opposite sides.

Combine the butter, sugar, cocoa, and salt in a medium heatproof bowl and set the bowl in a wide skillet of barely simmering water. Stir from time to time until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth and hot enough that you want to remove your finger fairly quickly after dipping it in to test. Remove the bowl from the skillet and set aside briefly until the mixture is only warm, not hot. It looks fairly gritty at this point, but don’t fret — it smooths out once the eggs and flour are added. [Note, many people who have tried this recipe have found that this step works just fine in the microwave. Couldn't test this because we don't have one, but it sounds like it would work.]

Stir in the vanilla with a wooden spoon. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously after each one. When the batter looks thick, shiny, and well blended, add the flour and stir until you cannot see it any longer, then beat vigorously for 40 strokes with the wooden spoon or a rubber spatula. Stir in the nuts, if using. Spread evenly in the lined pan.

Bake until a toothpick plunged into the center emerges slightly moist with batter, 20 to 25 minutes is Medrich’s suggestion but it took me at least 10 minutes longer to get them set. Let cool completely on a rack. (I go further and throw mine in the fridge or freezer for a while; it’s the only way I can get them to cut with clean lines.)

Lift up the ends of the parchment or foil liner, and transfer the brownies to a cutting board. Cut into 16 or 25 squares.