Anyone interested in another PJ Super Bowl board?

walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,569
edited January 2010 in The Porch
For those of you who were around a year ago (or two years ago), you may remember the message pit "Super Bowl Board"s that I ran around this time. I realize that we're still a month away from the big game, but I'd like to know if there's any interest in doing it again this year.

If anyone is interested in participating, please let me know by posting here. No need to post your wager or anything of that sort yet...I'm just trying to gauge interest at this point.

If you weren't around or don't remember how the game worked (or just want to see all the awesome prizes that were won by one lucky person), the old thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=91842.
Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I'd be in again! :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    joejoejoe is in it to win it
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,265
    Yeah those were really cool do it again ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Yes, please do it again. I'll be in it in a heartbeat.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • I'll participate
    DC-9/24/96
    Philly-8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/3/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16
    Jones Beach-8/25/00
    PSU-5/3/03
    Irvine-6/2/03
    San Diego-6/5/03
    Hershey-7/12/03
    Reading-10/1/04
    The Gorge-9/1/05
    Vancouver-9/2/05
    AC-9/30/05
    E. Rutherford, NJ-6/1/06,6/3/06
    Bonnaroo-6/14/08
    VA Beach-6/17/08
    MSG-5/20/10,5/21/10
    Baltimore 10/27/13
  • PNuttyJamPNuttyJam Posts: 837
    I'm in.
    Mesa I - 11/93 * Toledo - 9/96 * Chicago - 6/98 * St Louis - 7/98 * Indy - 8/98 * St Louis & San Diego - 10/00 * Mt View II - 10/01 * Irvine I & II, San Diego - 6/03 * Chicago I - 5/06 * San Diego & SF III - 7/06 * Lolla - 8/07 * EV Chicago - 8/08 * Chicago I & II - 8/09 * Kansas City & Indy - 5/10 * PJ20 X2 - 9/11 * Atlanta 9/12 * Wrigley Field 7/13 * Moline & Milwaukee 10/14 * Wrigley Field I & II 8/16 * Wrigley Field I & II 8/18 * Ohana Encore I & II 10/21 * EV & The Earthlings Chicago II 2/22
    Won the lottery PJ20 Night 1 - Front Row in front of Jeff - Forever grateful to Ten Club
    ***I wanna live my life with the volume full***
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,569
    Nice to hear a fair amount of interest already. We already have enough people to make this happen (perhaps we can even get to a full 25 participants again this year).

I'll be setting up the official sign-up thread soon (hopefully by the end of the weekend).

Any suggestions in terms of tweaks to the rules/format this year?

One thing I am thinking of is disallowing pledges of boots that PJ released commercially (ie New York, State College, Perth, Tokyo '06). Just seems like we should all have those already. Opinions?

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • How does this work?
    DC-9/24/96
    Philly-8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/3/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16
    Jones Beach-8/25/00
    PSU-5/3/03
    Irvine-6/2/03
    San Diego-6/5/03
    Hershey-7/12/03
    Reading-10/1/04
    The Gorge-9/1/05
    Vancouver-9/2/05
    AC-9/30/05
    E. Rutherford, NJ-6/1/06,6/3/06
    Bonnaroo-6/14/08
    VA Beach-6/17/08
    MSG-5/20/10,5/21/10
    Baltimore 10/27/13
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    count me in!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    Gambling/Pearl Jam/Super Bowl ........sounds like heaven to me ... what do i need to do
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • count me in...that was fun last time
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I'm in. And feeling like a winner this year...
    can someone post the rules/guide lines ?????
    joe2468 wrote:
    can someone post the rules/guide lines ?????

I haven't posted this year's official rules yet, but it will be very similar (if not identical) to last year.

As noted in the first post in this thread, here is a link to last year's rules: http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=91842

PS. - Best avatar ever!

Nice to hear a fair amount of interest already. We already have enough people to make this happen (perhaps we can even get to a full 25 participants again this year).

I'll be setting up the official sign-up thread soon (hopefully by the end of the weekend).

One thing I am thinking of is disallowing pledges of boots that PJ released commercially (ie New York, State College, Perth, Tokyo '06). Just seems like we should all have those already. Opinions?

Kind of thinking that all the 08's and 09's are very easy and available. I don't expect anyone to put up an expensive poster or vinyl, or rare boot for that matter. But all I can see is the winner who buys all the current boots will get doubles of most. Kind of tough, I know, but maybe something worth thinking about.

This coming from the guy who put up the Tokyo 03 last year. :oops:

Kind of thinking that all the 08's and 09's are very easy and available. I don't expect anyone to put up an expensive poster or vinyl, or rare boot for that matter. But all I can see is the winner who buys all the current boots will get doubles of most. Kind of tough, I know, but maybe something worth thinking about.

Thanks for the feedback. I was actually kind of hoping a number of people WOULD put up the '08-'09 boots because they are my favorite in terms of quality. But then again, I only bought the L.A. ones. Have most of you purchased all the '08-'09 boots? Thoughts/opinions?

Thanks for the feedback. I was actually kind of hoping a number of people WOULD put up the '08-'09 boots because they are my favorite in terms of quality. But then again, I only bought the L.A. ones. Have most of you purchased all the '08-'09 boots? Thoughts/opinions?

See I have been buying them but realize that many only buy the shows they went to. Disregard the last post from me. I'm not gonna win anyway with my current streak of luck and I guess this would be a good way to get something rather inexpensively as a prize. Could we include T-shirts and other non-music items out of the goods section?

See I have been buying them but realize that many only buy the shows they went to. Disregard the last post from me. I'm not gonna win anyway with my current streak of luck and I guess this would be a good way to get something rather inexpensively as a prize. Could we include T-shirts and other non-music items out of the goods section?

I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with you, just trying to see what others thought. That's kind of what I prefer to do with anything in question. I think non-music items should be decided on a case-by-case basis once people officially pledge their prizes; that being said, shirts could be problematic since not everyone would wear the same size.

• mvwmvw Posts: 1,687
    Count me in again this year. I'll offer a bootleg or poster of some sort.
  • Ernie VedderErnie Vedder Posts: 2,247
    i would like to participate
    A54CDC74-AB63-4EC8-9B55-3658DDD136FC-13112-000005CA4B5AFE40_zps094ecfbc.jpg
    my other question can we enter more then once ........ i got a few things i would love to donate one being a
    EDDIE VEDDER PICK FROM PHILLY....... and a poster or two ... got to go through my books to see what i wiling to part with
    i have NONE of the 08/09 boots........
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I think it is best to stick with official boots.....there would be no debate about everybody contributing equal value.
  • lippy002lippy002 Posts: 120
    was really dissapointed I missed this last year. Would totally be in with some 2000 boots. Thanks for working on this!
    i think DVDS should be out of the question ....we ALL bought them ....AGREED?????.. theres only 5 .....as for the boots ...its a great idea since i have none of the 08-09 boots (cds that is) .......and if i have to i would be more then willing to purchase one for the winner and send it directly to his/her house ... of there choice..

what ever the OP decides is fine with me.. once again COUNT ME IN AND DONT FORGET ABOUT ME
    I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with you, just trying to see what others thought. That's kind of what I prefer to do with anything in question. I think non-music items should be decided on a case-by-case basis once people officially pledge their prizes; that being said, shirts could be problematic since not everyone would wear the same size.

Oh, no problem. I have a suggestion. Final decision rests with you since this is you're gig. Let me know if you think this will work:

Since you are in favor of the 08 and 09 boots and they are obviously available, what about letting the winner decide which boots they want. Each participant, if they want to, can pledge an 08 or 09 boot. After the contest is over and a winner has been decided, that person can decide which boot specifically they need so they don't get 2-3 doubles of a show. I remember on last years contest, certain people pledged a vinyl or a poster (winners choice). Then they can just order the boot from Kufala and have it shipped to the winners address. Just a thought but let me know what you think. Not trying to steal your thunder or anything.

• rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696

Oh, no problem. I have a suggestion. Final decision rests with you since this is you're gig. Let me know if you think this will work:

Since you are in favor of the 08 and 09 boots and they are obviously available, what about letting the winner decide which boots they want. Each participant, if they want to, can pledge an 08 or 09 boot. After the contest is over and a winner has been decided, that person can decide which boot specifically they need so they don't get 2-3 doubles of a show. I remember on last years contest, certain people pledged a vinyl or a poster (winners choice). Then they can just order the boot from Kufala and have it shipped to the winners address. Just a thought but let me know what you think. Not trying to steal your thunder or anything.

I like this idea. And I'm in.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • jecicajecica Posts: 954
    I got no boots, but I will play. If we don't go with the purchase of boots, can I provide a stubbie and some cash and/or key chain? Is that worthy?
    Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.... (Voltaire)
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    any excuse to gamble works for me... :)

Honestly, I don't want to make this too complicated. Although I am in favor of the 08-09 boots, I want people to not necessarily have to buy anything to participate. If someone has an old 2000 of 2003 boot that they are willing to put on the line to play, I want them to be able to do that. As long as the CD is an original copy (not burned), is in good condition, isn't one of the commercially-released CDs, and doesn't repeat what someone has already pledged, I hope that is good enough. Sure, the winner might get some doubles -- but I can guarantee that he/she will get plenty of new boots as well, and there's nothing wrong with using doubles for trading or for future games.

I do like the idea of the "Winner's Choice" option for people who want to pledge something other than a boot, though. What if the rules stated that everyone must pledge a boot, but if they have something that they think is more desirable they can offer it as a choice to the winner? For example, someone might pledge "Los Angeles 2000 boot OR Boston '06 Poster, Winner's Choice"? That way we can get (potentially) more than just boots but make sure everyone's pledge is fair...