Namecheck from Tom Morello

pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,060
edited February 2008 in The Porch
Many wont be interested in this but heres an extract from the RATM official site and a blog from Tom Morello - he posts a recent interview, turns out he's quite positive on the boys, which reminds me of Rammstein mentioning almost the same comments on their site.: -

JADE: People have talked about the idea of fragmentation in today's music, how there used to be a style of music called "rock", where bands like the Rolling Stones, the Beatles, or Led Zeppelin fused country, blues, pop, soul, even classical to write songs, but now music has been increasingly pushed into narrower and narrower niches and there are few acts that can hope to even aspire to the longevity and popularity enjoyed by the monster bands of those days. As a songwriter who has blended funk, metal, punk, and hip hop together, do you think that this is a problem with the direction current music is going?

TOM: I'm not sure that I agree that there is one direction that music is going. As someone who has blended different styles of music together in my own bands, Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave, I've never felt constrained by musical trendiness. As I'm currently pursuing folk music as The Nightwatchman, I continue to look for different avenues of creativity and expression which ring true. I think that in any genre of music the cream rises to the top. For example, seventeen years ago there were hundreds of punk-funk bands but only one band was good enough to be the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Then there were an ungodly number of horrific rap-rock bands and I don't think it's immodest to say that Rage Against the Machine has weathered that storm pretty well. Then there was a ska explosion and only No Doubt's head stayed up. Prog-metal, only Tool is left. Industrial-metal, Nine Inch Nails remains. Grunge, Pearl Jam is still making very good and interesting records. I think at any given time it makes more sense to look at the true artists that exist in any given genre who have the ability to grow rather than the wannabes.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Yes I saw that on Tom's blog - I thought all the questions were good. The 'Jade' asking the questions is Jade Puget from AFI.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Tom Morello is a genius
    Be good to Rock n Roll and Rock n Roll will be good to you. -Priceless Rock Wisdom-

LA 7-9-06
    Can't wait to add more shows...
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,060
    aye you've gotta love him.....

even the nightwatchman record was a success and he's hardly the best vocalist in the world.....

the man is gold
  • Also, thanks for posting this. I always love hearing what Tom has to say...
    Be good to Rock n Roll and Rock n Roll will be good to you. -Priceless Rock Wisdom-

LA 7-9-06
  • "true artists"... I like that description...
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    kara5419 wrote:
    Tom Morello is a genius
    nope
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • nope

While everyone is entitled to their opinion, I think you will find yourself in the overwhelming minority on this one.

While you may not like him or his music, there's no denying what he can do with his guitar.
  • While everyone is entitled to their opinion, I think you will find yourself in the overwhelming minority on this one.

While you may not like him or his music, there's no denying what he can do with his guitar.

exactly, you might not like what he does or his views, but you got to respect the fact that he's one of the few people out there trying to make a change and is willing to put his career on the line for it. plus a harvard graduate?!

LA 7-9-06
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,060
    nope

odd, probably a Jay Z fan
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    I love Tom. His work with RATM and his solo work as The Nightwatchman is awesome. [I've hardly ever listened to Audioslave so I don't feel like I should be allowed to comment] I saw Tom solo open for Ben Harper in Cleveland and I remember thinking that he shouldn't be considered an 'opener' because he was amazing. If he is ever close to me playing solo I will try really hard to see him. He is awesome.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • tom morello is the shit. i use him when i play guitar hero 3.
  • pdalowsky wrote:

wahahahaha that was good!

he may not be a genius but god he is a great guitar player..
    and freaking smart too.. at least for me..!

Met the man during one of socio-political rallys here in LA!

Great spirited guy!
    "I had a false belief
    I thought I came here to stay
    We're all just visiting
    All just breaking like waves.."

07/09/06
    07/10/06
    07/15/06
  • i am surprised he used the RHCP as a reference considering how little "funk" is left in their music, and how much it has been replaced by "suck"
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • i think Stadium Arcadium was a decent album ofcourse its no Blood Sugar but hey they have "grown" alot and trying new things...

LA 7-9-06
  • pdalowsky wrote:

what the hell? i love jay z (well. three or four of his albums. reasonable doubt is a damn amazing album) and i can still agree with tom morello being a incredible artist.
  • hobbes wrote:
    what the hell? i love jay z (well. three or four of his albums. reasonable doubt is a damn amazing album) and i can still agree with tom morello being a incredible artist.

yeah, what did jay z do to deserve this?
  • kara5419 wrote:
    i think Stadium Arcadium was a decent album ofcourse its no Blood Sugar but hey they have "grown" alot and trying new things...

Yeah, they have been trying "sucking" and it's REALLY working out well for them apparently, because they won't stop.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    i really like how alot of these rock bands all respect eachother. especially all of the remaining 90's bands and singers.

oh wait... except for the smashing pumpkins. billy corgan is a dousche bag.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    Yeah, they have been trying "sucking" and it's REALLY working out well for them apparently, because they won't stop.

To each his own I guess. I won't disagree with the fact that their cd's have been getting progressively worse and more generic though. To me they are far from sucking though.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • i am surprised he used the RHCP as a reference considering how little "funk" is left in their music, and how much it has been replaced by "suck"

Completely disagree...If you want to listen to Californication, or Blood/Sex/Magic or any of their older works...then go listen to them. If you want to hear something new from them, listen to new stuff. They are moving forward and making music that is different and appeals to them at this point of their career, it all appeals to me old and new.

I saw them in the early 80's when I was in college, I loved them then and love them now.
    Manchester, TN - 2008
    Washington, D.C. - 2008
    Philadelphia, PA I - 2009
    Bristow, VA - 2010
    Baltimore, MD - 2013
    Milwaukee, WI - 2014
    Hampton, VA - 2016
  • I love when good people mention Tool. Because they, my friends, fucking Rule!! PJ in 08
    " Jump from a cliff to fly, not to fall..."
  • Hey Tom - How did it feel when I kicked your ass on Guitar Hero?