Does Soundgarden = Matt + Ayotte?

Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
edited March 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
So yeah.. you have an SG reunion but you gotta have that drum kit again...one of the finest sounding ever..
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I have a hard time believing the Matt wld jump ship??? If he does, that most likely means PJ will not do a major US tour in 2010. :( SG is cool (Bad Motor Finger) but fuck me man, Matt has made it big time with PJ....I dont know. Its like having to choose between living with your Mom or Dad......
    Don't mean to push, but I'm being shoved!
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Appleseed wrote:
    Matt has made it big time with PJ....

If SG reunites that will be bigger news than anything PJ has done for a good while.
  • RideRickRideRick Posts: 703
    DewieCox wrote:
    Appleseed wrote:

If SG reunites that will be bigger news than anything PJ has done for a good while.
    :lol:

oh.... it wasn't a joke... :evil:
    | Pinkpop 1992 *BEST EVER | Rotterdam 1993 | Amsterdam 1996 | Pinkpop 2000 | Arnhem 2006 | Nijmegen 2007 | Rotterdam 2009 | Nijmegen 2010 | Amsterdam I + II 2012 ** | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2012 First European Concert *EPIC*| Amsterdam I + II 2014 | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2016 night I  | Amsterdam I + II 2018 | Amsterdam I -> Canceled  +  II 2022 *EPIC
    RideRick wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    Appleseed wrote:

:lol:

oh.... it wasn't a joke... :evil:

Are you serious?? Soundgarden wasn't quite as big as PJ, but they were one of the biggest bands of the world right along with PJ, back in 94.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    So here's what me and my friend were talking about this am

soundgarden/pearl jam super tour with special guest temple of the dog.
    Matts arms would fall off by the end if the tour
  • DewieCox wrote:
    Appleseed wrote:

:wtf: :thumbdown:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Soundgarden are reuniting but that dosen't mean Matt will leave PJ. I think that Chris has probably already written a bunch of songs cause these rumours have been floating around for quite some time, and that they will record an album and tour around PJ's schedule. The beautiful thing about both of these bands is that they can do as they please. And I highly doubt that after all PJ has done for Matt he would just jump ship because Chris Cornell's album with Timbaland flopped because it SUCKED ASS! He need's another restaurant in Paris, and Soundgarden have been gone just long enough to be nostalgic, so let's do a one off album and tour and make a bunch of money. Chris Cornell changes his mind and musical direction more than PJ have changed drummer's and I'm sure Matt is aware of that.

So Dewie Cox, while it may be big news, that dosen't mean Matt is the glory hound you are, I'm sure he would do it to make some great music, and I agree that SG were a great band, but they don't come close to the magic that is PJ. And I can't understand why you spend so much time on this site when clearly PJ just don't do it for you anymore. You know the saying if you don't have something good to say then shut the fuck up?

Shut the fuck up.
  • kotsykotsy Posts: 3
    I believe the Soundgarden rumors to reign pretty true. Go to www.chriscornell.com and see for yourselves.

On the homepage - under headlines, it reads "Knights of the Soundtable" - which below that has a direct link to www.soundgardenworld.com. Once at the site you are prompted to include your name, e-mail and mobile phone number and you are rewarded with a vintage Soundgarden video.

"The 12 year break is over and school is back in session". Can it be any more obvious?
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    kotsy wrote:
    I believe the Soundgarden rumors to reign pretty true. Go to http://www.chriscornell.com and see for yourselves.

On the homepage - under headlines, it reads "Knights of the Soundtable" - which below that has a direct link to http://www.soundgardenworld.com. Once at the site you are prompted to include your name, e-mail and mobile phone number and you are rewarded with a vintage Soundgarden video.

"The 12 year break is over and school is back in session". Can it be any more obvious?

THIS THREAD HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHETHER MATT WILL JOIN SOUNDGARDEN...
  • Brisk. wrote:
    kotsy wrote:
    I believe the Soundgarden rumors to reign pretty true. Go to http://www.chriscornell.com and see for yourselves.

On the homepage - under headlines, it reads "Knights of the Soundtable" - which below that has a direct link to http://www.soundgardenworld.com. Once at the site you are prompted to include your name, e-mail and mobile phone number and you are rewarded with a vintage Soundgarden video.

THIS THREAD HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHETHER MATT WILL JOIN SOUNDGARDEN...
    i already see Ed that noone get that..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Soundgarden are reuniting but that dosen't mean Matt will leave PJ. I think that Chris has probably already written a bunch of songs cause these rumours have been floating around for quite some time, and that they will record an album and tour around PJ's schedule. The beautiful thing about both of these bands is that they can do as they please. And I highly doubt that after all PJ has done for Matt he would just jump ship because Chris Cornell's album with Timbaland flopped because it SUCKED ASS! He need's another restaurant in Paris, and Soundgarden have been gone just long enough to be nostalgic, so let's do a one off album and tour and make a bunch of money. Chris Cornell changes his mind and musical direction more than PJ have changed drummer's and I'm sure Matt is aware of that.

So Dewie Cox, while it may be big news, that dosen't mean Matt is the glory hound you are, I'm sure he would do it to make some great music, and I agree that SG were a great band, but they don't come close to the magic that is PJ. And I can't understand why you spend so much time on this site when clearly PJ just don't do it for you anymore. You know the saying if you don't have something good to say then shut the fuck up?

Shut the fuck up.

Dude, you need to chill!

That being said, I really hope he doesn't try to use the same drumsound in a reunited SG that he's been using for PJ caue I think he a heavier sound would suit the music better.

Shut the fuck up.

I never said that I thought they were as good as PJ. PJ still does it for me. Just b/c their new album blows(imo) doesn't mean they don't have 100 other songs I can put on at any time and enjoy.

Tell me, what bit of PJ news is bigger than one of the 90s/all time biggest bands reuniting after 15 years? That was all I said in my post.

People that don't know how to read need to shut the fuck up.

And what the hell is that glory hound talk about? I dunno how posting on an internet message board is gonna get me any glory at all.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    DewieCox wrote:

Shut the fuck up.

I never said that I thought they were as good as PJ. PJ still does it for me. Just b/c their new album blows(imo) doesn't mean they don't have 100 other songs I can put on at any time and enjoy.

Tell me, what bit of PJ news is bigger than one of the 90s/all time biggest bands reuniting after 15 years? That was all I said in my post.

People that don't know how to read need to shut the fuck up.

And what the hell is that glory hound talk about? I dunno how posting on an internet message board is gonna get me any glory at all.

wow intriguing you think backspacer blows.. johnny guitar sucks big time but there are some crackes on that record!

I just love that snare that matt used in soundgarden especially.
  • philthehipphilthehip Posts: 2,084
    Its all good people. Heres whats gonna happen. PJ will step aside for the latter part of 2010 to allow Soundgarden to do their thing. The guys will take a break, have some time with family, work on some side projects. Eddie will do a mini tour of Europe. The US will get a mega kick ass tour in 2011 followed by select dates in Europe. The world is good and everyone is happy so stop shouting at each other and be happy that grunge will be the biggest movement of the year!
  • Dude, you need to chill!

That being said, I really hope he doesn't try to use the same drumsound in a reunited SG that he's been using for PJ caue I think he a heavier sound would suit the music better.

No I really don't. I'm just sick of the people who think that saying things like the new album sucks and this song sucks, don't find another place to complain and criticize and live in the past. They're not going to remake Binaural ok! And a SG reunion is bigger than anything PJ has done recently? Really? How about celebrating the fact they never broke up? That they never stopped making music? And Backspacer is a great album. I think. And I'm sure a lot of other people on this site do too. It does happen to be the official FAN club site. Probably not the best place to bash this band in any way. And you can say what you want about being entitled to an opinion, which you are, just air it somewhere else. Either that or expect some back lash.

And glory hound comes from the fact you said it was "bigger news" than anything PJ has done in quite awhile. Who cares about news? Glory hounds. Who posts over 2000 times? Glory hounds.
  • I'm not even doing you the favour of getting into a discussion about what people are and are not allowed to say on this board. You obviously have have an opinion on that and so be it. And if you have to state it the way you did, well I guess I can't stop you. I think you just could have told Dewie in a little nicer way that you don't think he could say what he thinks.
  • If this is the "Pearl Jam is, now and forever, perfect in every way" forum, then I'm not sure I want to spend any time here. Anyone, and certainly any band, is open to criticism. I don't think anyone would spend any time here if they didn't like the music of Pearl Jam. That being said, they've made decisions that I disagree with, and they've made some music I haven't enjoyed as much as others.

If someone wants to follow this band blindly, declaring their infallibility as if they were Lord Jesus himself, then that's their privilege. But unless there's mean intentions, criticism and disagreement has always been welcome here.

I'll be one to say I've never quite gelled with Matt's drumming for Pearl Jam. I believe him to be a phenomenally talented drummer, musician, composer and singer, but I would take Jack Irons back in a heartbeat. No Code and Yield are my favorite albums, and have been since the albums came out over a decade ago. I know there are Dave A. fans in abundance as well, and Matt certainly has his fans. I can say that Matt has stabilized the band and been a backbone for them live, but I don't like the change in feel that accompanied his joining the band. Funny thing is, I think he was an AMAZING drummer when he played with Soundgarden, and I really look forward to seeing what that band does when they get back together. Kim, Chris, Matt and Ben (with props to Hiro) made some great music, stuff that was rhythmically challenging, dark, heavy, and yet melodic and soaring. Matt's affinity for alternate time signatures and funny turnarounds defined Soundgarden, and I will make every attempt to see them if they play any shows.

Then again, if I'm wrong, apparently I'm just a noob who doesn't know how things work around here.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • DewieCox wrote:
    Appleseed wrote:

How about four sell out shows to close the Spectrum?
  • If this is the "Pearl Jam is, now and forever, perfect in every way" forum, then I'm not sure I want to spend any time here. Anyone, and certainly any band, is open to criticism. I don't think anyone would spend any time here if they didn't like the music of Pearl Jam. That being said, they've made decisions that I disagree with, and they've made some music I haven't enjoyed as much as others.

If someone wants to follow this band blindly, declaring their infallibility as if they were Lord Jesus himself, then that's their privilege. But unless there's mean intentions, criticism and disagreement has always been welcome here.

I'll be one to say I've never quite gelled with Matt's drumming for Pearl Jam. I believe him to be a phenomenally talented drummer, musician, composer and singer, but I would take Jack Irons back in a heartbeat. No Code and Yield are my favorite albums, and have been since the albums came out over a decade ago. I know there are Dave A. fans in abundance as well, and Matt certainly has his fans. I can say that Matt has stabilized the band and been a backbone for them live, but I don't like the change in feel that accompanied his joining the band. Funny thing is, I think he was an AMAZING drummer when he played with Soundgarden, and I really look forward to seeing what that band does when they get back together. Kim, Chris, Matt and Ben (with props to Hiro) made some great music, stuff that was rhythmically challenging, dark, heavy, and yet melodic and soaring. Matt's affinity for alternate time signatures and funny turnarounds defined Soundgarden, and I will make every attempt to see them if they play any shows.

Then again, if I'm wrong, apparently I'm just a noob who doesn't know how things work around here.

It's not about being right or wrong. And there are no rules here, it's called freedom of speech and I encourage it. And I don't think that I "follow this band blindly, declaring their infallibility as if they were Lord Jesus himself," I never said my word was gospel. If anyone thinks that it's you and Dewie with how much time you spend on here, writing your opinions and disecting the music like it's yours. I take exception to someone saying Backspacer or Self Titled sucked because I LIKE those albums. Do I think every single thing PJ has done is great? No, but the majority of it I love. So if you say that these albums suck, your saying that anyone who loves them is misguided on what truly good PJ music is, cause a certain drummer played on it? I love Jack too, but Matt has taken the band to new level live. And I've seen PJ play with Dave, Jack and Matt, and I definitely think Matt is the best fit, both musically and as a member with some history. He's known Jeff and Stone and Mike longer than Ed has.
    What really bugged me about what he said was PJ haven't done anything big in quite a while? What constitutes big? PJ could've been the biggest band in the world but pulled back. I loved Soundgarden and I can't wait to see them again and hopefully get some new music too. But the fact remains that Chris Cornell always thought he was bigger than the band. I mean is everyone forgetting he just made a record with Timbaland? Or that Audioslave didn't fly because of his ego?
    Pearl Jam are my favorite band. They have been since that hot August day back in 92. So yes, I get a little defensive when they are critcized by other "fans." I have stayed away from discussions like this in the past because I knew it would just turn into an argument. But Cox seems to have nothing good to say, ever, so I called him on some things. And I'm just as entitled as you guys are to defend things that are dear to me.

That's it, that's all, that's everything.
    DewieCox wrote:
    Appleseed wrote:

How about four sell out shows to close the Spectrum?

Not even close. They sell out shows all the time. Sure they closed the Spectrum, but it's not really that big a deal to anyone outside of Philly. To be honest, the biggest news PJ has had since SG broke up was Roskilde.
    Dude, you need to chill!

No I really don't. I'm just sick of the people who think that saying things like the new album sucks and this song sucks, don't find another place to complain and criticize and live in the past. They're not going to remake Binaural ok! And a SG reunion is bigger than anything PJ has done recently? Really? How about celebrating the fact they never broke up? That they never stopped making music? And Backspacer is a great album. I think. And I'm sure a lot of other people on this site do too. It does happen to be the official FAN club site. Probably not the best place to bash this band in any way. And you can say what you want about being entitled to an opinion, which you are, just air it somewhere else. Either that or expect some back lash.

And glory hound comes from the fact you said it was "bigger news" than anything PJ has done in quite awhile. Who cares about news? Glory hounds. Who posts over 2000 times? Glory hounds.

I didn't criticize PJ initially. Just pointing out the stupidity in your first statement, "Matt has made it big with PJ", like he'd be taking a huge step back by playin a reunion tour with SG

So me pointing out the fact the an SG reunion is huge news makes me a glory hound.

Who posts 2000x? I'd say most people that regular the boards.

The fact that you think somebody could achieve any kinda glory on an message board tells me you need to get outta your mom's basement
  • Yeah, I don't live with my mom, or in a basement. Glory hound maybe the wrong title for you. Know it all would've been better. And the fact that you have over 2000 posts means you're probably the one who lives in a basement. A know it all, who lives with his mom and can't even spell DEWEY right.
  • Also Dewie, I wasn't the one who made the statement that Matt had "made it big time" with PJ. Do your research.

And you "pointed out the stupidity" in that statement. :lol:
  • all i can think of after reading this thread, is that the absolute legends who posted here back in the day, and made this the great forum that it was, like exhausted, paco, MIG (who still posts), who's_pearljam, just to name a few, would be feeling something like this right about now if they ever read through this....

omg.jpg
  • all i can think of after reading this thread, is that the absolute legends who posted here back in the day, and made this the great forum that it was, like exhausted, paco, MIG (who still posts), who's_pearljam, just to name a few, would be feeling something like this right about now if they ever read through this....

omg.jpg

haha i think you forgot about oldschool M&G guys like me, ian, lucylespian and pj_gurl...i'm sure we would all be doing something similar to your pic....
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    These boards have been pretty much the same in the 10 years I've been posting, aside from the price. There's always been people that "like the old stuff" and people that apparently can't handle that. The thing is it's not about old or new it's about the album that I'm listening to.

And when did it become a crime to talk negatively about a song or album you don't like? If you can't handle opposing opinions you shouldn't be on here
  • Whatever man. I've been there since the beginning and I love all PJ's albums for my own reasons. And you have yours. My only point was that you board geeks (nice Star Trek pic to prove this point) who think your opinions are worth anything more than the time it took you to write them, piss me off with your negative bullshit. I guess it's the generation gap. I don't think it's nice to criticize somebody's art, or act like it's your god given right.
    I'm 37 years old, you're 27, you weren't even a blip on the radar screen in 92 so don't talk to me about the old stuff, I saw PJ in 92 while you were still playing with dolls ok? And I've been there since the beginning, and I can appreciate the changes the band has gone through over the years, both personnel and music wise. And even if I didn't like the new album I wouldn't post it here, that's just looking for a fight. Well you got one. I'm not going anywhere and anytime you write something I'll be there to tear it down.
    See ya around DewEY
  • As much as I hate to even respond to this, I suggest you read this
    viewtopic.php?f=8&t=91525
    cause even the old folk who... you know... go back with the band to waaaaaay back in the day can get banned on here. Just saying.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    all i can think of after reading this thread, is that the absolute legends who posted here back in the day, and made this the great forum that it was, like exhausted, paco, MIG (who still posts), who's_pearljam, just to name a few, would be feeling something like this right about now if they ever read through this....

omg.jpg
    Agreed.

Another shout to lucy and pj_gurl, anyone know what they've been upto lately?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • As much as I hate to even respond to this, I suggest you read this
    viewtopic.php?f=8&t=91525
    cause even the old folk who... you know... go back with the band to waaaaaay back in the day can get banned on here. Just saying.

Whatever man, try to ban me if you want, but that just proves to me you guys can't handle someone disagreeing with your tripe. It was Dewie who said he was just "pointing out the stupidity in my last statement" which I take exception too because A: I'm far from stupid, especially when it comes to this band
    and B: I didn't even write said statement

So, go ahead and try and make me the villain here, all I did was say a little more respect should be shown to the band, which is in the posting guidelines too, and not say crap like the new album blows. So sorry I take exception to that.