Should I open it?

jskjsk Posts: 53
edited December 2009 in The Porch
I just found a Benaroya vinyl unopened?
If I had known then, what I know now.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RiotAct10RiotAct10 Posts: 1,618
    you "just found" it? laying by the road? at a record store? on ebay?
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth | 6.22.24 Dublin | 8.26.24 Noblesville
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Are there others?
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Huh? Did you just stumble upon one laying around in the gutter?

Sorry for the sarcasm. Fuck yeah open it. It does you no good shrinkwrapped on the shelf.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • don't do anything with it. u should give it back to its original owner.....which is ME. ive been looking for it everywhere and i couldnt find it. thank you for finding it for me. can i have it now pls?
  • ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443
    Life is too short my friend.. Too short when it sounds soooo good and looks so pretty.
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • jskjsk Posts: 53
    I bought it, a long time ago from the ten club, but I thought it was lost dogs. Just opened it from the box it was sent in a few months ago and smiled.
  • That's pretty awesome. Your heart must have skipped a beat. If it weren't available on CD I would say open it and listen to it. However, it is on CD and IMO the difference in quality isn't significant enough to warrant making a $600-$700 item a $300-$400 item.
  • Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    I don't believe in "babying" any of my possessions..If I own it, it's going to be well used, probably to the point of devaluation. Why else own it if you can't enjoy to the full extent?

Then again, if it's ticking you may want to have a duped subordinate open it for you :)
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
    I watched a dude on utube open his and the whole time I was thinking NOOOOOOOOOO! But part of me says don't horde!
  • EastiesEasties Posts: 479
    I can understand 'maybe' not opening this up if you weren't a big fan of the band and somehow happened to have a copy. I would have only bought it for one reason and that's to savour the first time I opened it up, took it out of the sleeve and dropped the needle down on it. After that I would have turned it up 10, lit a fat arsed joint, poured myself a Scotch and sat around with friends and enjoyed heaven for the next few hours.

Who could leave something like this unopened in the fear of devaluing it!! It's SACRILEGIOUS!! :)
    I didn't realize I had it! I've listened to it a hundred times on cd. I can't do it.
  • My3rdEyeMy3rdEye Posts: 927
    Open it or sell it to someone who will. What the fuck good is a silent record collection? If you want to display it that's cool but just display it so you can play it too.

Really, unless your intention is to later sell it... there is no point in leaving it sealed.

Open it and play it. You won't regret it.
  • arqarq Posts: 8,012
    jsk wrote:
    I didn't realize I had it! I've listened to it a hundred times on cd. I can't do it.

Leave it that way, you've heard the record a million times on CD, and believe me even thou the sound quality is superior, you only will hear more clearer the guy screaming "freee biiird!", so in these though times is better to keep a item like intact just because "you never know" ;)
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    arq wrote:
    jsk wrote:

Leave it that way, you've heard the record a million times on CD, and believe me even thou the sound quality is superior, you only will hear more clearer the guy screaming "freee biiird!", so in these though times is better to keep a item like intact just because "you never know" ;)
    :lol:
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • TravelarTravelar Posts: 3,391
    If you have to ask, you should just give it to me. :)
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    jsk wrote:

It's MINE...I need it Back! lol :P
  • arq wrote:
    jsk wrote:

:lol::lol::lol: there is another freak want FREE BIRD like me???
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • jsk wrote:
    tu ru ru tutururu.we belong together!!!!
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • arqarq Posts: 8,012
    jsk wrote:
    tu ru ru tutururu.we belong together!!!!

LOL
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • ChrisileinChrisilein Posts: 3,889
    OMG, why can't I find things like the Benny Hall ;) ! The only things i find are bills...
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • Chrisilein wrote:
    OMG, why can't I find things like the Benny Hall ;) ! The only things i find are bills...
    :lol::lol: they never stop coming!!!
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    edited December 2009
    I got one from a trade, unopened. I bought a record player soon after, but since I can't get my record player yet to sound better than CD's, I'm gonna wait until I can hear the difference. :D

(EDIT: Whoops, I meant I had ITW :D )
    Post edited by CJMST3K on
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    I guess it comes down to whether you bought it as an investment. If you are looking to sell it in the future for a profit, then by all means keep it sealed.

But if you want to actually enjoy the box set then I would open that puppy up! ;)
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
    my cousins roommate said I should sell it and invest in citibank. That made me throw up a little. :o Can you imagine doing that! I think I'll keep it and give it to my kids, if I ever have any. :P
  • SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    That's pretty awesome. Your heart must have skipped a beat. If it weren't available on CD I would say open it and listen to it. However, it is on CD and IMO the difference in quality isn't significant enough to warrant making a $600-$700 item a $300-$400 item.
    Lol. It's funny that we all want the pricey PJ items just to say "this poster/piece of plastic is worth $x00.00 on ebay somehow".

I saw Antiques Roadshow 2167 last night in my nightmare. There was this kid on there who brought the Benaroya album on the show and said my "great-great grandfather was a huge Pearl Jam fan and he didn't open this album because he said that an unopened copy of this album would lead our family to untold fortunes because only 3000 of them were ever pressed. The appraiser laughed and told the kid that his grandfather should have opened it and played it because it was only worth 2500 yuan. Is that enough to shelf it and leave it to your kids as an inheritance? Incidentally the Jack Daniels Vitalogy liquor bottles that were used by Vern Troyer in a bar fight to slit Scott Stapps throat on New Years Eve 2009 sold for over 4,000,000 yuan.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
    Songburst wrote:
    That's pretty awesome. Your heart must have skipped a beat. If it weren't available on CD I would say open it and listen to it. However, it is on CD and IMO the difference in quality isn't significant enough to warrant making a $600-$700 item a $300-$400 item.
    Lol. It's funny that we all want the pricey PJ items just to say "this poster/piece of plastic is worth $x00.00 on ebay somehow".

I saw Antiques Roadshow 2167 last night in my nightmare. There was this kid on there who brought the Benaroya album on the show and said my "great-great grandfather was a huge Pearl Jam fan and he didn't open this album because he said that an unopened copy of this album would lead our family to untold fortunes because only 3000 of them were ever pressed. The appraiser laughed and told the kid that his grandfather should have opened it and played it because it was only worth 2500 yuan. Is that enough to shelf it and leave it to your kids as an inheritance? Incidentally the Jack Daniels Vitalogy liquor bottles that were used by Vern Troyer in a bar fight to slit Scott Stapps throat on New Years Eve 2009 sold for over 4,000,000 yuan.

There are good arguments for opening the Benny and for leaving it mint. I have never had anything worth a damn that was mint though. It does make me feel a sense of greed somewhat.
  • MASMAS Posts: 630
    Should you open ? The answer to that question is one word: FUCKYEAH.
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,484
    I've never heard any of Pearl Jam's albums. Are they any good? What sort of music do they play? I just come on here and talk about them because you guys are so much fun.

In fact every album I have ever bought is safely stored away in a vaccuum-sealed vault because the covers are so pretty and I'm too scared to open them in case the value (of something that I will never sell) decreases by a few pounds...

Now... you listen to me, and you listen good...

Come closer...

You go and play that fucker!!! And you play it loud!!!

NOW!!!

...and don't come back on here until you have finished!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush wrote:
    I've never heard any of Pearl Jam's albums. Are they any good? What sort of music do they play? I just come on here and talk about them because you guys are so much fun.

In fact every album I have ever bought is safely stored away in a vaccuum-sealed vault because the covers are so pretty and I'm too scared to open them in case the value (of something that I will never sell) decreases by a few pounds...

Now... you listen to me, and you listen good...

Come closer...

You go and play that fucker!!! And you play it loud!!!

NOW!!!

...and don't come back on here until you have finished!
    :clap::lol:
  • If you enjoy listening to pearl jam in the best possible way. open the vinyl

If you are scared you are going to get sick of pearl jam one day and/or only ever listen to your music on a iPod. keep it sealed... or sell it and put the money in the bank. Get interest on your $$$ that way. rather than holding something someone else could be using :)
    ...The Moon is Rollin' Round....