VIDEO: Eddie at Kennedy Center Honors

Comments

• Ed did very well, I thought Stewarts intro speech was pretty funny as well.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Thank you. I realy enjoyed that
  • brainofebrainofe Posts: 263
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    Was that a presidential seal sticker on his guitar? I've never seen it before

Also, 'Thanks Eddie'

:mrgreen:

I think he's had the sticker before this performance, i saw it on the "Masters of War" video, but i'm not sure which was filmed before the other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QR3FBhgz4s
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 14,982
    Nice job with the song, Ed... now come on down to the Jersey Shore with the rest of the band and play a show in the city that inspired the song... Asbury Park, NJ.

Convention Hall awaits :D
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• awesome!!!!!great Ed...i really need to find threads from the past to put this video for the people was bitching about Ed voice
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Very cool. Bruce's face did say it all - I thought he was fighting back tears myself...

Wish he could've done more of the song.

Check this out - God, I love Bruce:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9XSm-gYH_s
    Camden - 5/28/06; Camden - 6/20/08; MSG - 6/25/08; Newark - (Ed Solo) 8/7/08; Philly - (Ed Solo) 6/12/09; Philly - 10/30/09; Philly - 10/31/09; Newark - 5/18/10; MSG - 5/20/10; MSG - 5/21/10
  • yeah, that was pretty awesome.
    nothing's changed but the surrounding bullsh1t
  • Very cool. Bruce's face did say it all - I thought he was fighting back tears myself...

Ed did a great job...I agree about Bruce's face & he did look like he was fighting back tears...hell, I almost cried! I also noticed Bruce had his arm behind his seat to Patti...I thought that was pretty sweet
  • jmurrayjmurray Posts: 3,538
    Excellent, really enjoyed it.

thanks for posting.
  • Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    Excellent rendition.

The Boss looked pretty moved.

Eddie obviously has a pretty deep connection to this material. And Judging by the Boss's reaction, the respect is no doubt mutal.

It would be really cool to sit and have a beer or ten with Eddie and The Boss.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    just watched it....wow. he really did an amazing job covering an amazing song.

anyone have an mp3? 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    brainofe wrote:
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    Was that a presidential seal sticker on his guitar? I've never seen it before

Also, 'Thanks Eddie'

:mrgreen:

I think he's had the sticker before this performance, i saw it on the "Masters of War" video, but i'm not sure which was filmed before the other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QR3FBhgz4s

D'oh! I had seen that!

Hmmm.....

Anyone know if he had it on his solo tour??

Here is the Ramones 'seal'

st111.gif

Here is the Presidential seal

PresidentialSeal.png

And I've yet to find a logo or seal for the Kennedy Center that looks like either of those.

While the sticker doesn't look quite like either of those, it does seem to have a smaller outer ring, which would point towards it being the Presidential seal, not the Ramones.

Also, the Kennedy Center Awards took place on Dec 6th, while The People Speak aired on Dec 13th, but according to wikipedia the film was shown April 16th at the Atlanta Film Festival.

Hmmmm.....I think I'm even more confused now than I was before!
  • awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    I watched the whole Bruce honoring, was great.

Mellencamp: I actually liked it, thought he did a good job, but it was kind of too like Bruce at times.

Harper and Nettles: Always love this song when done this way (not cheesy 80s style) and not by Bruce; it was great. Did anyone else get uncomfortable or at least notice the intent and somewhat sexual tension between those two during the song, I thought uh oh, another EdVed friends relationship shot to hell, ahahaha. Plus, she is drop dead gorgeous.

Etheridge: Always used to like her, but wasn't moved by it. She looks really old too, but she's been through a lot; I admire her courage.

Vedder: Great!

Sting: Enjoyed it, played it safe, enjoyed the huge choir; loved the beard.
  • E.BloomE.Bloom Posts: 188
    Beautiful version of a beautiful song. Great job Ed!
    we were but stones,your light made us stars

Dublin 06
    London 07
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I'm so glad this was a good performance!

The people who sang before Ed didn't really do much with the songs but Ed's song came off well. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Wow, that was great! Love the bruce songs ed sings!
  • IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    peacegirl wrote:
    Very cool. Bruce's face did say it all - I thought he was fighting back tears myself...

Ed did a great job...I agree about Bruce's face & he did look like he was fighting back tears...hell, I almost cried! I also noticed Bruce had his arm behind his seat to Patti...I thought that was pretty sweet

Agreed...very powerful and moving reaction by Bruce. Heavy...
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • TrixieTrixie Posts: 179
    I missed it and am blocked from YouTube at work (don't have a computer at home). Anyone know of another place I might catch the video? Did a search of Kennedy Center Honours and although i came up with the website, there were no "performance" videos available.
  • PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    Amazing!
    I love this song and Ed's performance was great.
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • Great post. Bruce looked genuinely moved.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Eddie is always the best performer of the night like Dylans Masters of War that was awesome-
    I enjoyed seeing him laughing in the audience too
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    It was ok. I felt ed's voice really didn't match it to well. I just didn't feel the connection to the song like I do with the boss. Still ed stole the show as usual I love anything ed covers of bruces and am a big fan of bruces probably more so than anyone cept 2-5 people on here.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    thank you thank you thank you. :D
  • LDBLDB Posts: 41
    Bruce is so great and really deserved this honor. It is hard to watch anyone else do his songs but Ed delivered 100% and Sting also. Melissa Ethridge tried but only Bruce should ever sing Born to Run. Too bad it had to be so reserved and no one could really rock and roll for Bruce they way he deserves. As much as I love Pearl Jam, Bruce will always be "The Boss". I have to wonder why they didn't have any of the E-Street band to participate?
    Thanks again for posting.
    Happy New Year to all, We're all still Alive!!
  • QubeQube Posts: 44
  • OGT92OGT92 Posts: 1,588
    mfc2006 wrote:
    just watched it....wow. he really did an amazing job covering an amazing song.

anyone have an mp3? 8-)

I am going to make an mp3 and anyone that wants one can pm me with their email (that's the only way I know how to send it) and I will send it to you.
    "I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave up reading." - Henry Youngman
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    edited December 2009
    Eddie was great as always, but did anyone catch Ben's preformance, great as well

yeah!
    i'm gonna have that song in my head for days now.

awesome!!!!!great Ed...i really need to find threads from the past to put this video for the people was bitching about Ed voice

that's what i was thinking too.
    next morning my friend started a convo about ed's voice. she had seen the show. i was smiling because it wasn't me that brought it up first.
    Me: i fell in love with his voice before i saw his face. (talking about the 90's)
    she thought that was sweet. lol!
    She said he sings from the bottom of his gut and could be an opera singer.
    I agreed and said I feel the same about Bruce Dickinson.
    Post edited by blondieblue227 on
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• that was so touching and emotional that im at a lose for words, but im gonna try

the rising was bruce's best cd since darkness, imo
    i had lost faith with bruce until the reunion tour and then the rising album happened
    my faith to still want it to be there was rewarded when bruce toured that amazing cd
    the new music on that cd was incredible
    it was so powerful in every way, especially considering the times(911) and bruce's locality to the city in ruins

city in ruins was the prefect choice
    perfectly done by ev. he completely nailed it
    LOVED the background singers and especially ed's brilliant sensibility to the tune
    it couldn't have been covered any better. by anyone. period.

having said that i LOVE bruce's rocked up live version but thats comparing apples vs oranges

i felt extremely proud of bruce in his moment of glory

i do feel sorry for people who don't get bruce cause there is so much great wealth there

simply, the best there is
  • DillsnufusDillsnufus Posts: 1,165
    anyone know where i can get a pearljam/ed solo comp of bruce covers?
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    metsfan wrote:
    It was ok. I felt ed's voice really didn't match it to well. I just didn't feel the connection to the song like I do with the boss. Still ed stole the show as usual I love anything ed covers of bruces and am a big fan of bruces probably more so than anyone cept 2-5 people on here.

Really?
    I thought it was damn near perfect. I'm probably just as big of a Bruce fan as I am a PJ fan and I can honestly say I don't think anyone covers the Boss with the accuracy and intensity of Ed. Sure Ed made it slightly "his own" but I can't think of one person out there who would do as much justice to a Boss song as Ed.
    I also like the song selection. I fully expected him to do one he's covered so many times in the past, but to hear this was quite the refreshing surprise.

I'm also glad Ed brought his "A voice" as well. I don't want to make this into another "Ed's voice" thread but he sounded damn good.