Just Got This E-mail Sent to Me: Concert Fans Beware!

mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
edited January 2010 in The Porch
Fellow Concertgoers,

There's a train wreck about to happen and consumer groups say YOU will be the victim - if the two most powerful corporate interests in the live concert business get their way. But you can help stop the merger of Ticketmaster and Live Nation. The government needs to hear from music fans now. Tell the Department of Justice that you're against these monopolies amassing illegal power over consumers, before it's too late. <!-- e --><a href="mailto:antitrust.complaints@usdoj.gov">antitrust.complaints@usdoj.gov</a><!-- e -->

As a concertgoer you have already felt the pain, and if Ticketmaster and Live Nation get their way, it'll get worse. In the last 12 years, since Live Nation and its predecessor started its widespread take over of the concert industry, concert tickets have shot up 82% while the consumer price index has gone up just 17%*. We are concerned that if the two concert industry behemoths, Live Nation and Ticketmaster, were permitted to merge, the variety and quality of artists coming to local venues would be affected, and your prices could rise further and faster.

Five of the nation's most prominent public interest groups called on the Department of Justice to block the proposed merger of Ticketmaster and Live Nation.

In the consumer groups' and lawmakers' words:

"Consumers deserve a fair deal in the entertainment marketplace, not the fewer choices and higher prices that would result from this merger," said Susan Grant, Director of Consumer Protection at Consumer Federation of America.

"This merger is an insult to both musicians and consumers," said James Love, Director of Knowledge Ecology International

"We cannot envision a remedy that would ease this chilling impediment to competition… In the absence of other effective, expeditious remedies, the proposed transaction should be prohibited." American Antitrust Institute White Paper

As described by Senator Herb Kohl (WI) in the Senate Antitrust hearing, "This merger will not only expand Ticketmaster's control of the ticketing market by eliminating a competitor, but it is also creating an entity that will control the entire chain of the concert business – from artist management to concert promotion and production to ticketing and ticket resale."

"This merger would be a disaster for consumers. Nothing short of blocking this takeover of the ticket market by two industry behemoths will be acceptable," said National Consumers League Executive Director Sally Greenberg.

"As president, I will direct my administration to reinvigorate antitrust enforcement. I will step up review of merger activity and take effective action to stop or restructure those mergers that are likely to harm consumer welfare…," said Senator Barak Obama when he was campaigning for the presidency.

If you agree with the consumer groups and lawmakers, make a difference and LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD NOW.

If you are tired of paying exorbitant ticket prices and service charges and paying for parking on a per head basis and dealing with the gouging, unregulated secondary ticket market in an effort to get good seating. If you are disgusted with paying more and more every year for the live concert experience THEN ACT NOW, CLICK ON THE LINK IMMEDIATELY BELOW AND SEND A MESSAGE TO THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE URGING THEM TO STOP THIS MERGER!
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:antitrust.complaints@usdoj.gov">antitrust.complaints@usdoj.gov</a><!-- e -->

To learn more, check out:

ticketdisaster.org

Public Interest Groups Call on Justice Department to Block Ticketmaster/LiveNation/Comcast Merger

American Antitrust Institute's White Paper TICKETMASTER - LIVE NATION

Philadelphia Weekly's cover story "Monopoly Rules"

Signed,

Jam Productions, The 9:30 Club, Merriweather Post Pavilion, Metropolitan Talent, Another Planet, Frank Productions, Stone City Attractions, Rams Head Live, The Black Cat …… and independent concert promoters and venue operators nationwide.

*Study by Princeton University economist Alan Krueger
350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    I really never understood why we needed a ticket company anyhow. Why can't bands just sell tickets directly to us us? I mean, it can't be that hard to pull off. Is it because of the Venue+ticket company relationship? I don't know enough about this to really know what i'm talking about I guess the venue thing would be the main concern (since the bubble heads were the first to think of it i guess that means they have all control over major companies or have contracts with them. Life is like a barn yarn, ya snooze ya lose i suppose) but surely there's some way around that? Maybe not.. Unless all bands could simultaneously protest and not play at all but alot of them are way too comfy for that to ever happen i imagine. I'm an aspiring musician and this kind of thing really freaks me out. Almost makes me want to just buy an old ware house or something and just play my own venue lol Would have to be in a super touristy area to make any dough though :mrgreen:
  • JS188455JS188455 Posts: 107
    I'm glad someone put this up! I was looking through the forums to see if it had been posted because I just got the same e-mail and was going to put it up as well. I encourage everyone that reads it to take the time and go to the link and make your voice heard!
  • vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    I really never understood why we needed a ticket company anyhow. Why can't bands just sell tickets directly to us us? I mean, it can't be that hard to pull off. Is it because of the Venue+ticket company relationship? I don't know enough about this to really know what i'm talking about I guess the venue thing would be the main concern (since the bubble heads were the first to think of it i guess that means they have all control over major companies or have contracts with them. Life is like a barn yarn, ya snooze ya lose i suppose) but surely there's some way around that? Maybe not.. Unless all bands could simultaneously protest and not play at all but alot of them are way too comfy for that to ever happen i imagine. I'm an aspiring musician and this kind of thing really freaks me out. Almost makes me want to just buy an old ware house or something and just play my own venue lol Would have to be in a super touristy area to make any dough though :mrgreen:

unfortunatly nearly all of the venues are in contracts with ticket bastard and live nation, meaning that you cannot play there by selling your own tickets.

PJ tried it back in the ticketbastard battle...

live nation and ticketbastard merging would be an insult to ticket buyers out there :shock: you think you pay too much in fees now, just wait!
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    This proposed merger has bad news written all over it.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    You just beat me to it! I would have posted it... was wondering what people's thoughts were on this. I also just got the email.

Before I do anything, I am going to read more and see what others have to say, even though I immediately thought it was bad news...
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • rb115565rb115565 Posts: 222
    I totally agree, These two should not be allowed to merge. People are being screwed over with exhorbitant service fees and not to mention the fact that alot of seats are being sold in massive amounts to numerious after market companies that are charging up to 10 times or more then the face value of the ticket. If Ticketmaster and Livenation merge they will control virtually all of the venues in North America making it impossible to see a concert by a major act without paying the service fees that are levied by these companies currently. If a monopoly of the concert business comes to fruition the service fees would be sure to Skyrocket.
    5/30/03 9/2/05 9/4/05 9/5/05 7/22/06 7/23/06 9/21/09 9/22/09 9/21/11 9/22/11
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,967
    rb115565 wrote:
    not to mention the fact that alot of seats are being sold in massive amounts to numerious after market companies that are charging up to 10 times or more then the face value of the ticket.

"numerous companies" OWNED by TM and LN. :problem: :thumbdown:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483

Most venues have exclusive deals with Ticketmaster, but even if that weren't the case, It would be way too costly for a band to do their own ticketing for reserved-seat venues.
  • JS188455JS188455 Posts: 107
    imalive wrote:
    rb115565 wrote:
    not to mention the fact that alot of seats are being sold in massive amounts to numerious after market companies that are charging up to 10 times or more then the face value of the ticket.

"numerous companies" OWNED by TM and LN. :problem: :thumbdown:

On top of that Ticketmaster and their CAPTCHA system can be beaten and has been for years by ticket brokers. It's nearly impossible to get tickets to anything now so I can't imagine how tough it will be if this merger happens. Such a shame for the real fans of any musical act.
  • spnoonespnoone Posts: 626
    i actually sent an email. probably landed myself on some commie blacklist but it felt like the right thing to do.
  • vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!

• thanks for the link

rip bill graham
  • Just sent an email also. Let's keep it up :!:
    Deer Creek, Noblesville, IN 08/17/1998
    Deer Creek, Noblesville, IN 08/18/2000
    Verizon Wireless Music Center, Noblesville, IN 06/22/2003
    Verizon Wireless Music Center, Noblesville, IN 05/07/2010
  • These two companies were going to be rivals and now they wanna merge? Whose best interests are being looked after. They are going to streamline their resources making it easier for them to lower their costs all the while raising ticket prices by offering dynamic pricing, auctions, and preffered seating. Look at Ticketexchange by Ticketmaster. You would be gulible to think thats fans selling to other fans. Thats Ticketmaster and the promoter funneling tickets to their own resale site just under a different name than Ticketsnow.
    Houston- 4/6/2003 10/14/2000 10/15/2000
    Dallas- 6/9/2003 10/17/2000 7/5/1998
    San Antonio- 4/5/2003
    Chicago- Ed Solo 8/22/08
    San Diego- 10/9/2009
    Philly- 10/30/2009 10/31/2009
    New York- 05/20/2010 05/21/2010
    PJ20- 9/3/2011 9/04/2011
  • so the government sticks it's unwarranted nose into the whole baseball steroids thing but it needs to be goaded into sticking it's crooked fucking nose into an obvious anti-trust suit?....what a fucking joke!!

bunch of good for nothing, bought & paid for whores!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Most venues have exclusive deals with Ticketmaster, but even if that weren't the case, It would be way too costly for a band to do their own ticketing for reserved-seat venues.
    I guess its up to me to start a revolt :P Would make more sense for venues to work directly artists.. it would be almost like how an art gallery works except for music. You pay a small price "reserve" the stage for your art (not to mention how good it would be for the economy).. A commission if you will and then the rest goes to the band...This way the venues could make more than enough profit (rightfully so since there is a major up keep with larger places) I say off with the middle man's head..making out like a bandit!
    so the government sticks it's unwarranted nose into the whole baseball steroids thing but it needs to be goaded into sticking it's crooked fucking nose into an obvious anti-trust suit?....what a fucking joke!!

bunch of good for nothing, bought & paid for whores!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil:

stupidest fuck giraffes in the whole dumb-dumb salad :mrgreen:
  • This thread should get stickied
  • thanks for posting this.

it's def a hot topic here in the pit.
    the agruements we have on here even inspired me to blog about it.
    Price of Concert Tickets
    http://ivys2cents.blogspot.com/2009/08/ ... ckets.html
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    I read this thread last week and then I saw this on Backstreets.com and figured I'd post it here

IT OUGHT TO BE EASY, OUGHT TO BE SIMPLE ENOUGH...
    ...and now it is, thanks to CalPIRG (California Public Interest Research Group). If you haven't yet contacted the U.S. Department of Justice to express your opposition to the proposed Ticketmaster/Live Nation merger (and even if you have done so already), you may want to take advantage of the new online form designed and posted by CalPIRG, which just joined the opposition. You don't have to live in California to use it, and it makes it extremely easy to add your voice to those of us who oppose this proposed merger. If you don't wish to share your contact information with CalPIRG and/or its network, there's still the "old-fashioned approach," too, outlined in Backstreets' December 3, 2009 news posting, in which we also detailed Bruce Springsteen's and our positions on this important issue.

No matter how you do it, we urge all Springsteen fans again to write, call, e-mail etc. right now, since a decision from the U.S. Department of Justice on the merger proposal is expected to be announced very soon. To get the latest updates on the merger decision, click here.
    - January 8, 2010

and here is the link for the online form:
    http://www.calpirg.org/action/consumer/ ... ter-merger
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    The Pepsi Center in Denver seems to be willing to fight the bastards. If I am correct, they are going through TicketHorse for any event in the building. Kudos Denverites.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    So it was emailed to Springsteens fans?
    Where's PJ on this topic??
  • whgarrettwhgarrett Posts: 574
    I don't see how this affects me. I am able to pay for the tickets if I juggle my priorities. So can everyone else. And what if they can't? Is it our right to be able to see affordable concerts? Anitrust..anticapitalist...antigovernment bullshit. Blah Blah Blah. Get a better job and see more concerts. ;)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    before long they will be bought out by paypal and paypal will tack on anouther fee.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,325
    Fellow Concertgoers,

There's a train wreck about to happen and consumer groups say YOU will be the victim - if the two most powerful corporate interests in the live concert business get their way. But you can help stop the merger of Ticketmaster and Live Nation. The government needs to hear from music fans now. Tell the Department of Justice that you're against these monopolies amassing illegal power over consumers, before it's too late. <!-- e --><a href="mailto:antitrust.complaints@usdoj.gov">antitrust.complaints@usdoj.gov</a><!-- e -->

As a concertgoer you have already felt the pain, and if Ticketmaster and Live Nation get their way, it'll get worse. In the last 12 years, since Live Nation and its predecessor started its widespread take over of the concert industry, concert tickets have shot up 82% while the consumer price index has gone up just 17%*. We are concerned that if the two concert industry behemoths, Live Nation and Ticketmaster, were permitted to merge, the variety and quality of artists coming to local venues would be affected, and your prices could rise further and faster.

Five of the nation's most prominent public interest groups called on the Department of Justice to block the proposed merger of Ticketmaster and Live Nation.

In the consumer groups' and lawmakers' words:

"Consumers deserve a fair deal in the entertainment marketplace, not the fewer choices and higher prices that would result from this merger," said Susan Grant, Director of Consumer Protection at Consumer Federation of America.

"This merger is an insult to both musicians and consumers," said James Love, Director of Knowledge Ecology International

"We cannot envision a remedy that would ease this chilling impediment to competition… In the absence of other effective, expeditious remedies, the proposed transaction should be prohibited." American Antitrust Institute White Paper

As described by Senator Herb Kohl (WI) in the Senate Antitrust hearing, "This merger will not only expand Ticketmaster's control of the ticketing market by eliminating a competitor, but it is also creating an entity that will control the entire chain of the concert business – from artist management to concert promotion and production to ticketing and ticket resale."

"This merger would be a disaster for consumers. Nothing short of blocking this takeover of the ticket market by two industry behemoths will be acceptable," said National Consumers League Executive Director Sally Greenberg.

"As president, I will direct my administration to reinvigorate antitrust enforcement. I will step up review of merger activity and take effective action to stop or restructure those mergers that are likely to harm consumer welfare…," said Senator Barak Obama when he was campaigning for the presidency.

If you agree with the consumer groups and lawmakers, make a difference and LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD NOW.

If you are tired of paying exorbitant ticket prices and service charges and paying for parking on a per head basis and dealing with the gouging, unregulated secondary ticket market in an effort to get good seating. If you are disgusted with paying more and more every year for the live concert experience THEN ACT NOW, CLICK ON THE LINK IMMEDIATELY BELOW AND SEND A MESSAGE TO THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE URGING THEM TO STOP THIS MERGER!
    <!-- e --><a href="mailto:antitrust.complaints@usdoj.gov">antitrust.complaints@usdoj.gov</a><!-- e -->

To learn more, check out:

ticketdisaster.org

Public Interest Groups Call on Justice Department to Block Ticketmaster/LiveNation/Comcast Merger

American Antitrust Institute's White Paper TICKETMASTER - LIVE NATION

Philadelphia Weekly's cover story "Monopoly Rules"

Signed,

Jam Productions, The 9:30 Club, Merriweather Post Pavilion, Metropolitan Talent, Another Planet, Frank Productions, Stone City Attractions, Rams Head Live, The Black Cat …… and independent concert promoters and venue operators nationwide.

*Study by Princeton University economist Alan Krueger
    You get this from Concit Joe?
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,535
    81 wrote:
    before long they will be bought out by paypal and paypal will tack on anouther fee.

If that happen's, I hope all business companies & regular user's that use paypal boycott's all of this bs charges & just stick with their old school credit cards. Those were the day's.
  • Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    demetrios wrote:
    81 wrote:

If that happen's, I hope all business companies & regular user's that use paypal boycott's all of this bs charges & just stick with their old school credit cards. Those were the day's.

I wouldn't hold my breath..either way more expensive ticket prices, I'm shocked..
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,325
    81 wrote:
    Ebay owns paypal. Don't see that happening
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • peacegirl wrote:
    I read this thread last week and then I saw this on Backstreets.com and figured I'd post it here

IT OUGHT TO BE EASY, OUGHT TO BE SIMPLE ENOUGH...
    ...and now it is, thanks to CalPIRG (California Public Interest Research Group). If you haven't yet contacted the U.S. Department of Justice to express your opposition to the proposed Ticketmaster/Live Nation merger (and even if you have done so already), you may want to take advantage of the new online form designed and posted by CalPIRG, which just joined the opposition. You don't have to live in California to use it, and it makes it extremely easy to add your voice to those of us who oppose this proposed merger. If you don't wish to share your contact information with CalPIRG and/or its network, there's still the "old-fashioned approach," too, outlined in Backstreets' December 3, 2009 news posting, in which we also detailed Bruce Springsteen's and our positions on this important issue.

No matter how you do it, we urge all Springsteen fans again to write, call, e-mail etc. right now, since a decision from the U.S. Department of Justice on the merger proposal is expected to be announced very soon. To get the latest updates on the merger decision, click here.
    - January 8, 2010

and here is the link for the online form:
    http://www.calpirg.org/action/consumer/ ... ter-merger

thanks for this.

RIPBG
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,594
    This is especially bad news for us: the rabid hardcore fanbase who have the need to see gazillion shows at every damn tour.

As Jeanwah mentioned above, it will be interesting to see where Pearl Jam stands on this.
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam