THE PEOPLE SPEAK…

ShaggyD99ShaggyD99 Posts: 3
edited December 2009 in The Porch
Powerful, beautifully presented, heart felt, and gut wrenching. One of the most interestingly presented messages I’ve heard in some time. What some have had to go through in the nation is sickening.

However, haven’t we heard all this before…like a trillion times before? White men are evil, white men are no good, be aware of the white devil. Or that, never give in the “The man”, death to “The Man”. Never has a show so pounded home the message of how utterly awful the white man is. Somehow, despite the fact that segregation ended when the Beetles were still together, I seemingly owe something to somebody? Yes, I am a White adult male. This makes me…evil I guess?

The United States is evil, so are our founding fathers, death to the US. That whole powerful scene where it details how the American Indians “promised” territory has vanished over years. How about telling the audience that the American Indians themselves SOLD that land?? That wouldn’t make “The Man” look bad enough though, would it? Or how the US dropped “The Bomb”…but nothing about Japan killing 2000+ Americans at Pearl Harbor as a pure cowardly act? Or course not. Why is the pain of others always worse than the pain of your own?

Does anyone that presented or preformed (Ed?) realize that YOU can vote out “the man” in this country? Yes, YOU can control who’s in charge. That’s the beauty of this nation…you can have shows like this without fear of having your Childs head chopped off. Yeah, the U.S. sucks. Hey, is this not the country you made your Millions in so you can sit there and judge everyone else? How bad it is here really? Come on, for fuck sake.

Everyone who presented, all of which are multi Millionaires by the way! Made their Millions in the evil US by the way. How much money has the book generated for the author? They pull this political crap to make themselves feel like they are doing something of value add…but all that’s really happening is a that they are compensating for something they feel their lacking of or covering up of some self confidence shit. Say what you want about brad and Angelina, but they actully put things into action.

I honestly mean this sincerely without any anger or dislike what so ever. Leave…go to a different county and live there. Find out about the countries history and do a show about that. I’d love to here about the historically sound Germany, or the freedom of Cuba, or that lovable and cuddly nation of Afghanistan.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• A good first post that would achieve more credibility if your spelling and grammar were above the fourth grade reading level...welcome to the board...

P.S. it's the BEATLES
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • LOL…I rushed it. Thanks man
  • veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    Is this because of the Philly boots? :D Nice entry sir or madam!
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,109
    There's just too much to respond to here...but I'll just say that I couldn't disagree with your analysis more--on politics, on the show and what it was meant to depict, on the "love it or leave it" mentality. I just plain disagree, point for point.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    2023-08-31 Wrigley 2
    2023-09-15 Fenway 1
  • A good first post that would achieve more credibility if your spelling and grammar were above the fourth grade reading level...

I agree.

I was quite satisfied upon reading it though.
    was it?....
  • Thanks guys. I’ll promise be MUCH lighter about subject matter going forward! :D

I really didn’t mean to come across harsh; I just wanted to point out that this is the greatest nation on the planet today. Everyone I heard speak or sing should know that more than any of us! Some aspects of the history of this nation are appalling! But lets us not lose sight of what we are today, or even how we got here. As appalling some aspects are from slavery, to the treatment of women, and to the disgusting treatment of the American Indian to name just a few, we have overcome to make us great today.

Let us not get lost in the past over the injustices of some, but to continue to build upon them to create one unified nation leading the world.
  • But we need to talk and remember the bad so it won’t happen again.

Some say it’s unpatriotic to badmouth your country for things you don’t like, but I feel it’s a true patriot that speaks out wanting better.

High cost of college education, healthcare.
    Two things that DO NOT make me proud to be an American. how can 'the greatest nation' be so bad at those two things?
    But I’m not a white male so that’s must be why I feel like that. :roll:
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• I, too, couldn't disagree more with you, Shaggy.

All I can say about the Indians is this: you apparently don't realize that the Indians valued their lives more than the land in coming to the decision to sell the land. They knew they'd be out-numbered and out-weaponed and couldn't realistically win a physical war, and it took them even longer to realize they were fucked either way as the government began to violate its own treaties so as to steal even more land and terminate the Indians. (I studied Native American history in college, in case you think what I type is cockamany).

And indeed, blondieblue, it was Howard Zinn who coined the phrase "dissent is the highest form of patriotism" when discussing our democracy.
    2004: Toledo; Grand Rapids
    2006: Grand Rapids; Auburn Hills
    2009: Chicago
    2010: Columbus
    2011: East Troy (PJ20), both
    2013: Wrigley Field
    2014: Detroit
  • ShaggyD99 wrote:
    ....to create one unified nation leading the world.

Mmm, I've heard that before
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?

• And indeed, blondieblue, it was Howard Zinn who coined the phrase "dissent is the highest form of patriotism" when discussing our democracy.

:mrgreen:

the best thing i've watched about the indians was We Shall Remain. watch it. have your kids watch it.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/weshallremain/

• Your statement is your opinion. It is not necessarily true. Keep voting, I'm sure your country will change.
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743

And indeed, blondieblue, it was Howard Zinn who coined the phrase "dissent is the highest form of patriotism" when discussing our democracy.

the best thing i've watched about the indians was We Shall Remain. watch it. have your kids watch it.

Bookmarked that! But first gotta get CC in there...arrggghh. ;)

And 4th grade level reading... is that a common joke or was that just made up on the fly? :roll:
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    ShaggyD99 wrote:
    I just wanted to point out that this is the greatest nation on the planet today.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    But we need to talk and remember the bad so it won’t happen again.

Some say it’s unpatriotic to badmouth your country for things you don’t like, but I feel it’s a true patriot that speaks out wanting better.

High cost of college education, healthcare.
    Two things that DO NOT make me proud to be an American. how can 'the greatest nation' be so bad at those two things?
    don't forget starting useless wars just so your oil buddies can profit millions of dollars and many young troops come home in body bags or when they do come alive the gov't doesn't give a shit bout them. some great nation this.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • IamMine wrote:

Bookmarked that! But first gotta get CC in there...arrggghh. ;)

And 4th grade level reading... is that a common joke or was that just made up on the fly? :roll:

no joke, but if you actually read his post you may have noticed all the misspellings and grammatical errors...if you, in fact, made it to the fifth grade yourself...you should get off your high horse once in a while...many of us were very happy to be rid of your dumb ass when you were away on poverty leave...you are such a victim, it is sickening...no one is out to get you, so you can leave your bullshit preaching and championing at the door...you have no insight worth sharing, despite your feeble efforts to prove to us all your worthiness otherwise...I really wish someone would loan you the money so you could buy, or at least rent, a life of your own. I'm looking forward to seeing this thread locked once you go crying to the MODS for the thousandth time...

loser.jpg
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."

no joke, but if you actually read his post you may have noticed all the misspellings and grammatical errors...if you, in fact, made it to the fifth grade yourself...you should get off your high horse once in a while...many of us were very happy to be rid of your dumb ass when you were away on poverty leave...you are such a victim, it is sickening...no one is out to get you, so you can leave your bullshit preaching and championing at the door...you have no insight worth sharing, despite your feeble efforts to prove to us all your worthiness otherwise...I really wish someone would loan you the money so you could buy, or at least rent, a life of your own. I'm looking forward to seeing this thread locked once you go crying to the MODS for the thousandth time...

loser.jpg

It is interesting that it's ok for YOU to point things out in other people....

But if I question or point things out, it's not ok?

I see people are still making assumptions about me... oh well, nothing new.
    ~Q Magazine

• nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    edited December 2009
    ShaggyD99 wrote:
    As appalling some aspects are from slavery, to the treatment of women, and to the disgusting treatment of the American Indian to name just a few, we have overcome to make us great today.

I think you're missing the point of Zinn's book and the show. Injustice hasn't been overcome by the
    gallant acts of those in power. It's been done by people taking to the streets and sometimes taking
    up arms to force change.

American history isn't as tidy as many of us learned in school and the heroes of social change need
    to be recognized. The people willing to put it all on the line for what they believe in don't need to
    be shown the door. They need to be honored.

The preamble of the Constitution speaks about forming a more perfect Union. It's an elusive goal
    and we certainly aren't there yet. We won't get there without people who are willing to challenge
    the status quo.
    Post edited by nukeboot on
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
    nukeboot wrote:
    ShaggyD99 wrote:
    As appalling some aspects are from slavery, to the treatment of women, and to the disgusting treatment of the American Indian to name just a few, we have overcome to make us great today.

I think you're missing the point of Zinn's book and the show. Injustice hasn't been overcome by the
    gallant acts of those in power. It's been done by people taking to the streets and sometimes taking
    up arms to force change.

American history isn't as tidy as many of us learned in school and the heroes of social change need
    to be recognized. The people willing to put it all on the line for what they believe in don't need to
    be shown the door. They need to be honored.

The preamble of the Constitution speaks about forming a more perfect Union. It's an elusive goal
    and we certainly aren't there yet. We won't get there without people who are willing to challenge
    the status quo.

Well said and especially with the status quo statement.

It wasn't until college when I learned more about the history that was not taught in K-12.
    ~Q Magazine

• activist liberalism is SOOO 2003.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    As far as the documentary doin what it intended to do, it sucked.

It didn't really portray much that wasn't taught in my history class. There were a few little tidbits, but it seemed like they wanted to keep it pretty safe.

I think they coulda used lesser known readings. I mean, reading quotes from Susan B Anthony and Malcolm X isn't really diggin very deep. I know that they were just average people went on to do big things, but I think they're well known enough to where that kinda gets lost. Don't even get me started about the actors. I mean, who would've guess that Matt Damon woulda been on there? Nice movie tie in douches. I generally don't get annoyed by celebs doin their political bitchin, but this doc was pretty ridiculous with it.

I don't wanna listen to Morgan Freeman whine about anything, when he's been "dating" his stepdaughter since she was 13.

I thought the overall presentation was pretty bad.

Howard Zinn's intro and other little parts were by far the best.

The musical performances just seemed kinda wedged in.
  • LOL…I rushed it. Thanks man

...You know, I could excuse the 4th grade grammar and the misspelled words too, but, you rushed it?
    You want to come on here and indict a great piece of work like this and claim that the meaning of it is that the white man is evil, but you rushed it?
    First of all I must ask, did you actually watch the entire film? Did you nod off during the part where white men and women stood beside black men and women during the civil rights movement, or when some white guys fought and bled and died for a fucking eight hour work day, or when white men and women fought for the right to form unions or when some white women demanded the right to vote or when some white people demanded this country end the Vietnam War?
    If you came away from this film thinking the message was that the white man is evil or that America sucks then you get an F for interpretation...you missed the entire point of the film...too bad, because you know, you can't be neutral on a moving train.
    I was alone and far away when I heard the band start playing!

...I was always a DeadHead, but when I first heard Winston Rodney, aka the Burning Spear, sing, I became a SpearHead too!
  • alls i got to say is
    god damn snoopy, that was a hell of a sucker punch.

guess i'm lost on that one. did not see that coming.

• ShaggyD99 wrote:
    Thanks guys. I’ll promise be MUCH lighter about subject matter going forward! :D

I really didn’t mean to come across harsh; I just wanted to point out that this is the greatest nation on the planet today. Everyone I heard speak or sing should know that more than any of us! Some aspects of the history of this nation are appalling! But lets us not lose sight of what we are today, or even how we got here. As appalling some aspects are from slavery, to the treatment of women, and to the disgusting treatment of the American Indian to name just a few, we have overcome to make us great today.

Let us not get lost in the past over the injustices of some, but to continue to build upon them to create one unified nation leading the world.

easy to say if you aren't an African American, Native American or woman.
  • ShaggyD99 wrote:

well i do agree with shaggy on one point.
    we do have to move forward and not get hung up on the past.
    don't forget the past, but don't use it as a crutch either.

'My ancestors were slaves. So I can’t, I can’t, I can’t’

And yes I’ve heard people say that. Or elude to that.

edited December 2009

And other minorities, including the disabled. :)
    alls i got to say is
    god damn snoopy, that was a hell of a sucker punch.

guess i'm lost on that one. did not see that coming.

Ah, there is a history between me and him here on the board.

I had asked my oldest teenage son before I asked you about the 4th-5th grade reading level, if it was a common thing and he said no.... and wanted to ask you before wondering if he had gotten that info from our discussion last week in your thread.

Then he got really nasty with that post and one of my good friends, who I forwarded this thread to, said it was a common thing.... not with teenagers. I didn't know it was a common thing, thus my question to you and did think he was putting the OP down. Even if it was true, that was still a put down towards the OP.

*shrugs*

And oh - my other good friend, who is also one of strong advocates in the disability field, said it was also because we are still making the history...(edit: in regards to being excluded from this documentary which we discussed in your thread)
    Post edited by IamMine on
    ~Q Magazine

ShaggyD99 wrote:

well i do agree with shaggy on one point.
    we do have to move forward and not get hung up on the past.
    don't forget the past, but don't use it as a crutch either.

'My ancestors were slaves. So I can’t, I can’t, I can’t’

And yes I’ve heard people say that. Or elude to that.

Right, exactly. But should not exclude the history though...

I think it's easy for people to vent that way because they haven't been heard themselves or processed through their anger/frustrations/whatever it takes for them to move on to the next level.

I think that's why there are different subgroups dealing with things differently....

Look at MLK and Malcolm X, for example....?
    ~Q Magazine

• IamMine wrote:
    Ah, there is a history between me and him here on the board.

o i see. :(
    Don’t bring fights onto other threads. It’s confusing.

that's the thing about history i love.
    people hear the word history and think it's set in stone.
    but it's always changing. even history you think you know, it can change with a new discovery.

• blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    edited December 2009
    IamMine wrote:

I think it's easy for people to vent that way because they haven't been heard themselves or processed through their anger/frustrations/whatever it takes for them to move on to the next level.

i guess so.
    but i really resent people who use that as THEIR agruement.
    it's in the past. way in the past. so i just don't see how that's a valid excues.

o i see. :(
    Don’t bring fights onto other threads. It’s confusing.

Agreed. I regret asking that question now. Didn't predict that coming either.
    that's the thing about history i love.
    people hear the word history and think it's set in stone.
    but it's always changing. even history you think you know, it can change with a new discovery.

I know...it's funny because I used to think like that in K-12...but when I got to college, it opened my eyes.

I enjoy the History channel... even the Discovery channel!
    ~Q Magazine