In-Laws

Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,331
edited August 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
How do you feel about yours?

I've grown to dislike mine. I was willing to give them a chance but in the two years (1 dating, 1 married) I've been with my wife that willingness has all but vanished.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• How do you feel about yours?

I've grown to dislike mine. I was willing to give them a chance but in the two years (1 dating, 1 married) I've been with my wife that willingness has all but vanished.
    My future In-Laws (which i have been saying for 13 years...hehehehehe)

Are 2 of the nicest, kindest, giving people I have ever met...

They should also write a book titled "How to be a great parent"
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    no issues with mine (dating 6.5 years), but they had both passed away before we met.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,407
    they're great people. my mother in law can be a bit much at times, but those times are few & far between. we're heading down to have an early Christmas with them on Friday.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • My in-laws live 10,566 miles away...so we get along great! :mrgreen:
    They're really good people, raised a good son :) My brother-in-law is on his way as I type this to spend the next month with us :o We'll see how this goes...
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Mine are really good people and I call them Mom and Dad (I forget sometimes and do it in front of my Mom :shock: ). But they are 400 miles away so that makes it easier.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • My future in-laws are good people with typical small issues. No one is perfect. I enjoy my time with them.

My ex in-laws? There is a reason they are ex (The WHOLE family) Although the father was one of the nicest men ever.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    I avoid mine at all cost.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    edited December 2009
    My ex in-laws were great. I too called them mom and dad.

my gf's parents are, well mom is dead and dad is away but he seems really great.

her grandmother is a sweet heart. love spending time with her, it's just a pain in the ass for both of us to go, because its has to be a weekend away and getting a dog sitter sucks.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Mine are a trainwreck... my father in law is cool, my mother in law is a hypochondriac, with drug problems and is never at fault for ANYTHING that she does or has done in her life. My sister-in-law is a living at home a single mother who has worked probably 2 months in her entire life and is currently milking the state of MA for welfare instead of getting/holding down a job. Good times...

The good thing is that my wife views them the same, so it's not an issue with us.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    How do you feel about yours?

unfortunately I'm with you. My wifes family seems to take advantage of her because she's so nice. Seeing it from the outside makes me angry. She's better at it now but only because I mention it and make her aware of it.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    unfortunately I'm with you. My wifes family seems to take advantage of her because she's so nice. Seeing it from the outside makes me angry. She's better at it now but only because I mention it and make her aware of it.
    Yea, I'm with you too. My MIL knows exactly what to say to make her kids feel inadequate. They don't even see it, it's so insidious. I've spent the past 14 years trying to help my wife see it for what it really is ("deprogramming"), but man it makes me sick. It's gotten better for her and she even tries to help her brother and sister deal with it, but i can't for the life of me think of why anyone would want their kids to feel that way...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • mfc2006 wrote:
    they're great people. my mother in law can be a bit much at times, but those times are few & far between. we're heading down to have an early Christmas with them on Friday.
    This - I love my in laws, but my mom in law is a hyper planner and when we are together, we must have every simple detail planned. Overall though, they rock! We're going on a cruise with them, and the rest of my wife's immediate family in January. Big boat, so I should be able to escape when I need to...
    "Trial and error isn't a bad way to learn how to build an aircraft, but it can be a disastrous way to learn how to build a civilization..."
  • I love mine :mrgreen:

I have three in-laws currently... His mum, his dad and his step mum. They're all very different but equally lovely. They've accepted me with open arms and love me like their own. I share many things in common with all of them and I wouldn't change a thing.

I understand that i'm lucky though.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Married 7 1/2 years. We get together every Friday night with my wife's parents and her brother with his family (five kids all girls) Best night of the week. Always a good time. My in-laws are great.
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • How do you feel about yours?

My future In-Laws (which i have been saying for 13 years...hehehehehe)

Are 2 of the nicest, kindest, giving people I have ever met...

They should also write a book titled "How to be a great parent"

you forgot to add also 10c members. :lol::lol::lol: psst they will not see tell us what you really think
  • 81 wrote:
    no issues with mine (dating 6.5 years), but they had both passed away before we met.

i'm sorry, but this made me laugh! :lol:

:oops:
    (how very sad and tragic for your GF)

me, my mom-in-law passed away within the first 6 months of our dating, my dad-in-law will be 87 in january. :wtf: he also is one of the most horrible human beings i have ever met in my life, truly. i cannot even be bothered to list all the whys of it, but it is the truth. it is very sad for my husband, but they have next to no relationship. it is even more difficult as he ages, b/c you always want to 'do the right thing'...but it's hard when the other person is practically certifiable, ungrateful and paranoid, for starters. we have next to no relationship with any of his family b/c there have always been 'issues.' i am just glad my husband has such an excellent relationship with his brother. at least there is someone in his family in which he is close, and we see regularly, etc. his sister and his dad, cards thruout the year and that's pretty much it. so overall, not much of an issue b/c we don't ever really interact, but on occasion the realtionship comes up to the surface and shit needs to be done. thank bejeebus my mother, my only surviving parent, is cool and we have a great relationship with my family, overall. no one's perfect. :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:

i'm sorry, but this made me laugh! :lol:

:oops:
    (how very sad and tragic for your GF)

it was tough on her at first, because i sort of forced her to play family with my mom and step dad on our first thanksgiving together. she didn't want to, she fought agaist it, but ultimatly she spent the day with us. after about year two, i think she really enjoyed the time. it cracked her up when my mom passed away.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Here is the scoop on my in-laws;

Mom (yes I call her Mom): is a wonderful, supportive and loving woman to her children and their significant others. She's had a hard life herself though, and is currently staying in a group housing unit for women. :( She is a trooper though, with all the struggles she has gone through she keeps her head high and still has a better take on life than I do sometimes.

Cliff (dad): Don't call him Dad yet, but I see it getting there. We get along great and we have identical senses of humor. However I plan to continue keeping politics FAR, FAR away from our conversations. I almost slipped up recently to tell him that I wrote an extremely powerful paper on pro gay marriage...but I caught myself at the last moment.

They are both AWESOME people and I feel very lucky to have had such an easy ride with getting on their good side.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Never had a father in law, but had a mother in law until 2 years ago. She was about 44 when she had my hubby so was getting on when we first met (23 years ago). She used to drive me round the bend sometimes, but she never meant any harm by anything she said, she just had a knack for saying the wrong thing. She would always visit just before meal times (so she'd get fed), she would always tell me if she thought I'd put weight on (not what you want to hear), and I once made the mistake of leaving her in our house alone for 1/2 an hour and she went through all the cupboards!

But she was inadvertantly hilarious too, she once got a new tv and asked my hubby to tune it in for her, we spent ages fiddling about with it and she kept saying it was too dark, so we kept making it brighter and brighter until we could barely stand to look at it. It was at this point that we realised she was wearing her sunglasses. We also arrived at her house one day a few days after christmas, 'oh' she said 'it's terrible isn't it all this salami business', after a moment we realised she was referring to the tsunami.

She's dead now and even though she was hard work sometimes, I do miss her.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    good people, miss cap he's gone 13 years now. mama in law and i have grown closer in our old age- getting past any threats i guess and the older i get the more i relate to both her and my mama who's passed
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    Claireack wrote:
    But she was inadvertantly hilarious too, she once got a new tv and asked my hubby to tune it in for her, we spent ages fiddling about with it and she kept saying it was too dark, so we kept making it brighter and brighter until we could barely stand to look at it. It was at this point that we realised she was wearing her sunglasses.

:lol::lol::lol:
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    Well I'm single, but I have a brother-in-law (sister's husband) and sister-in-law (brother's wife).

My sister and brother-in-law have been married 10 years now. I didn't particularly care for him at first - not as a brother-in-law anyway. He can be pretty anti-social and had a completely different sense of family than my family does. For instance, when my sister and I turned 21 we made plans to go out at midnight on the night before to have our first legal drinks together. When I showed up to pick her up, he said she was already asleep and wouldn't let me in! (They were just dating at the time, but lived together.) I didn't think he had any right to keep me from dragging her ass out of bed to celebrate our special day, but he did. He's really come around over time though, and we have a really great relationship now. I sometimes call him my husband-in-law because he takes care of me as an extension of his wife. (No - not like that. Get your mind out of the gutter!) He cooks for me, fixes stuff around my house, comes over with a shot gun when strange men knock at my door in the middle of the night, etc. And, even though we're really different in many, many ways, I really love him as if he were my real brother.

My brother & his wife JUST got married and I introduced them so of course I think she's awesome. Only time will tell how things will evolve, but I expect it to always be good.

Also, my brother-in-law and sister-in-law have amazing families who treat my family like part of theirs, and I really appreciate that. My sister's MIL doesn't have daugthers and when her son married my sister she said she now had TWO daugthers (me & my sister). Very sweet. :)
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I try to avoid them at all cost, fortunately the wife feels the same way.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • lukin2006 wrote:
    I try to avoid them at all cost, fortunately the wife feels the same way.

:thumbup:
    seriously.

i feel guilty about it sometimes, it's just so easy. never had any of the usual marital/holiday issues, always a given....with my family. at most, we do christmas eve with my bro-in-law and his GF, and once went to his sister's around the holidays, but that's it. it's sad, but also.....easy. eh well.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,874
    i have no issues... mine are dead

that's good humor right there!! nice work 81
  • Lambchops wrote:
    i have no issues... mine are dead

that's good humor right there!! nice work 81

seriously...still makes me laugh.
    man, i am a horrible person.... :oops: :? :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    My inlaws are fantastic people. I love them to bits.
  • my ex mother in law was a bitch... but she loved me to death until I told her I wasn't having children, that's when I went on her shit list.

My Ex husbands father was an awesome guy, very much like my dad. Unfortunately he passed away from cancer before we were married. I know he liked me cause he was the one who told my ex he should date me when we were just coworkers. The night I found out he passed is still the saddest night of my life, even through my divorce and other hardships.
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • My mother-in-law was a very sweet person. Although I didn't feel close to her necessarily, I liked her. For the most part she was easy to get along with and very nonjudgmental. My husband is a lot like her. She died of a stroke last May after suffering a milder stroke about a year before. Now that she's gone I find that I miss her a lot. I'm not looking forward to Christmas without her. In particular, I have a memory of Thanksgiving last year, when she was helping me in the kitchen and, still recovering from her first stroke, how good-natured she was as she struggled to remember certain words.

My father-in-law often exasperates me. He has a strong personality and he can be very intimidating. He was really domineering to his kids growing up and continued to tell them what to do as adults. Two of them dealt with that by moving thousands of miles away and the other one married me. Over the years I've tuned out most of the "advice" unless he's gotten really overbearing, then I've just told him that's not how we're doing things. I guess it's OK because he's obviously very fond of me. And as much as he can drive me nuts, I've realized during the last several months that I love him very much.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I get along with mine very well. My father in law is very knowledgeable about home repair and modifications and loves working on projects on his spare time so he is very helpful when something comes up that I cannot do or don't know how to. He is coming to help me replace the back sliding glass door with a French door next week!
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13