Options

Pearl Jam v Dave Matthews Band

Comments

• Options
    I'm a big fan of both. The one demographic that has bought into DMB (college frat guys) can grate on a guy, but I don't let them get in the way of some great music the band offers us.

I anticipated both new albums that are being compared on this thread. Backspacer is far from the quality that Big Whiskey is. Let's get serious about this. Initially, my enthusiasm blinded my better judgement and I thought Backspacer was good. It quickly wore off though and if a song from that album pops up on my iPod... I quickly skip to the next random tune. When they play one of these songs in concert... I have to feign enthusiasm: but it is hard... really hard.

The band is content with their current lifestyles- which they certainly deserve. The problem with this though- from my perspective- is they have lost much of the inspiration for their writing. It's no longer about homelessness... it's now about surfing and "love gone good."

I'm of the opinion that if PJ's next album is along the same lines as Backspacer then they should stop writing and just tour playing from the existing catalogue pre-Backspacer. It's painful to watch such a great band in decline. Their 'teaser' (Ole) has me really worried.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Citizen ZackCitizen Zack Posts: 1,763
    Simple answer - If I were to make my dream PJ set list, there wouldn't be a single Backspacer song on it. Same situation for DMB, there would be a few Big Whiskey songs on it.

Agree with others who've said these two bands are really comparable. But the original question is interesting - two albums released around the same time from big name bands - which one holds up better? Big Whiskey by a country mile, and I'm only a casual DMB fan.

Backspacer is the most polarizing PJ record for me. There is no middle ground. I really like a few songs, and really dislike the others. For a rock and roll album by one of the biggest rock bands of the last 20 years, where is the guitar on this record?

Big Whiskey has some solid tunes. DMB is a fun live band and they are all incredibly talented musicians. Songs from this record translate well live. Most Backspacer tunes don't for me.

And for those continuing the same boring, rehashed, stereotyped, childish (and ironically, elitist and douchey) assessment of all DMB fans being frat boys - you're absolutely kidding yourself if you don't think these people are all over the place at PJ shows too. They don't speak for every fan.
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

No time to be void, or save up on life, you've got to spend it all
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,344
    Simple answer - If I were to make my dream PJ set list, there wouldn't be a single Backspacer song on it. Same situation for DMB, there would be a few Big Whiskey songs on it.

Agree with others who've said these two bands are really comparable. But the original question is interesting - two albums released around the same time from big name bands - which one holds up better? Big Whiskey by a country mile, and I'm only a casual DMB fan.

Backspacer is the most polarizing PJ record for me. There is no middle ground. I really like a few songs, and really dislike the others. For a rock and roll album by one of the biggest rock bands of the last 20 years, where is the guitar on this record?

Big Whiskey has some solid tunes. DMB is a fun live band and they are all incredibly talented musicians. Songs from this record translate well live. Most Backspacer tunes don't for me.

And for those continuing the same boring, rehashed, stereotyped, childish (and ironically, elitist and douchey) assessment of all DMB fans being frat boys - you're absolutely kidding yourself if you don't think these people are all over the place at PJ shows too. They don't speak for every fan.

I completely agree with the ideas that you mentioned above - well said. I'm listening to Big Whiskey now - a very good studio album in my opinion. I saw them at Citifield night 2 with floor seats and at two of the Caravan weekends in 2011.... they're a great live band. With that being said, I'll still choose PJ or DMB if their concerts overlapped. I also prefer how Eddie engages the crowd more during PJ shows. Enjoy
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    My opinion is that Goo Grux is superior to Backspacer and one of.Daves best. However Away from the World is not all that great. It hasnt been very good live either. I saw both shows in Cville in December and thought those songs were the.low point. His VA swing on this leg is later this month so we will see if they have figured out the right groove for the songs.

That said,both bands are phenomenal live and I have collected 70 plus shows from each group. I think Ed is far better at reading a crowd and writing a set list that creates waves of emotion during the show. Dave seems to go off in his own world sometimes and will play 3-4 slow songs in a row rather than mixing them in. Sometimes an 18 minute version of So Right is just not right.

We are lucky to have both though. PJ is the culmination of everything that was right about 70s rock and Dave is heir to the Deads ability to make you dance.
  • Options
    PH20PH20 Posts: 466
    I was very disappointed by both albums.

IMO...Dave has put out a much better one since. I hope PJ does the same.
    2006 - Marcus Ampitheater, Milwaukee
    2011 - Alpine Valley Ampitheater, East Troy
    2013 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2014 - Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul
    2014 - Bradley Center, Milwaukee
    2016 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2018 - Wrigley Field, Chicago 
  • Options
    PH20PH20 Posts: 466
    mrussel1 wrote:
    My opinion is that Goo Grux is superior to Backspacer and one of.Daves best. However Away from the World is not all that great. It hasnt been very good live either. I saw both shows in Cville in December and thought those songs were the.low point. His VA swing on this leg is later this month so we will see if they have figured out the right groove for the songs.

That said,both bands are phenomenal live and I have collected 70 plus shows from each group. I think Ed is far better at reading a crowd and writing a set list that creates waves of emotion during the show. Dave seems to go off in his own world sometimes and will play 3-4 slow songs in a row rather than mixing them in. Sometimes an 18 minute version of So Right is just not right.

We are lucky to have both though. PJ is the culmination of everything that was right about 70s rock and Dave is heir to the Deads ability to make you dance.

Funny the way it is (pun intended) that I posted the exact opposite as you (regarding Dave's last two albums) at almost the same time.

Oh well...what fun would it be if we all agreed.
    2006 - Marcus Ampitheater, Milwaukee
    2011 - Alpine Valley Ampitheater, East Troy
    2013 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2014 - Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul
    2014 - Bradley Center, Milwaukee
    2016 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2018 - Wrigley Field, Chicago 
  • Options
    I thought Everyday and Stand Up were a bit too mellow. I really liked the.groove and tempo of Goo Grux. At least we can agree that he puts on a great show. Always enjoy the Lillywhite/Busted Stuff
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    You going to see Dave?

That questions sums up the terribleness that is DMB and their fans

To compare PJ to them is an insult to music in general
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    You going to see Dave?

That is an incredibly obtuse thing to say.

It took 5 years for DMB to get really big. It took the.douchebags a while to catch on. It took the PJ douches about a minute to take over when Ten came. Those people come and thankfully go , but dont disparage a great band. Or me.
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    mrussel1 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    You going to see Dave?

That is an incredibly obtuse thing to say.

It took 5 years for DMB to get really big. It took the.douchebags a while to catch on. It took the PJ douches about a minute to take over when Ten came. Those people come and thankfully go , but dont disparage a great band. Or me.

Ants Marching. Enough said
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    edited July 2013
    :fp: People still referring to DMB as that 'frat guy' band have to realize those frat guys are now probably middle aged fathers.... Truth is, EVERY band has some amazing fans and some major douches.

I agree with what mamasan said earlier in the thread- a lot of people hate on them because it's 'a thing' to hate on them. A lot of people, I think, base their opinions off of what they hear without digging a bit deeper. DMB's singles are some of my least favorite DMB songs. I encourage people to check out songs like The Stone, You Never Know, Drive In Drive Out, and Raven. Miles miles and miles better than any slow tempo love song released as a single. Dave's voice has also changed a bit throughout the years, and what people might have found annoying about it is curbed much more these days.

If someone doesn't care for Dave's voice, that's one thing and I get it. But when people say DMB as an entire band sucks kinda makes me scratch my head because they are one of those bands that to me, are incredible musicians first--nevermind if you care for the lyrics and melody. Carter Beauford in particular OWNS his massive drum kit and is one of the most creative and skilled drummers I have ever seen. I think all members of the band are at the top of their game.

Also, like PJ, DMB are a LIVE band. Hearing studio stuff is one thing, but live they are really something else. The way I became a fan, actually, was randomly going to see them live--then I got hooked.

Oh well, that's my piece. I could go on, but prefer to stay out of disagreements. DMB are my 2nd favorite band after Pearl Jam, and at the end of the day to each their own!
    Post edited by samjam on
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,987
    I've never really got into DMB but we won free tix to see them a few weeks ago.

I was surprised at how many of my daughters high school friends were there....and there's NO WAY they have any clue about DMB.

I'm not familiar with his catalog at all but one song really caught me like "hey this is good" and I couldn't find anyone in my immediate vicinity paying ANY ATTENTION WHATSOEVER to the band. I couldn't believe it.

Comparing DMB to PJ is like comparing PJ to nothing...there is no comparison :nono:
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016
    Very unfair to compare. PJ are my favourite band and always will be. DMB fall in my favourite bands of all time, possibly in top 3.
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    Red Mosquito75Red Mosquito75 Moline IL Posts: 1,034
    this is almost laughable.
    DMB has its place..a good band but not in the same league as PJ
    Nothing against DMB. Good Band I have seen them and had a good time.
    Pretty ironic that my 18yr old daughter is at Alpine Valley today seeing DMB for first time. First time for her being at Alpine. It may be a shock to her system
    I just hope she isn't doing the same thing I did back when i saw PJ at Alpine in the 90's.
    This is Not For You
  • Options
    WhyGo91WhyGo91 Posts: 639
    You know what's really sad? That people stereotype other people based off of the type of music they listen to. I would have thought that some of the members within the Ten Club would have a little more decency than that.

guess not.
    446927_artist.jpg?0119
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    The Fixer wrote:

Ants Marching. Enough said
    Wow. Throwing out the ants marching card. At least they didn't write the fixer
  • Options
    SM10080SM10080 Posts: 234
    This shouldn't even be conversation.
  • Options
    kwdaleykwdaley Posts: 499
    I've never been able to understand the appeal of the Dave Matthews Band.
    Ottawa 2011
    London 2013 "The Dundas Hookers on Crack" Show
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,954
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    cmm6734 wrote:
    I enjoyed both albums when they came out, but IMO, Big Whiskey is a much better album than Backspacer. As said above, Backspacer has not stood the test of time for me, but I still listen to Big Whiskey. It is a great album, and one of DMB's best.
    Totally agree. Big Whiskey was an incredible record. Sometimes I think people hate on DMB just because its cool to hate on them.

it is cool to hate :corn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkRJzErnRmY
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,413
    kwdaley wrote:

And some people have never been able to understand the appeal of Pearl Jam. I'm a big fan of both bands and they aren't really too that can be compared as they are TOTALLY different styles of music. It's rather dumb to say one is better than the other as music is pretty much subjective to the person listening to it.

:roll:
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    Had an amazing time at both DMB Alpine shows this weekend. Cuz you know they tour every year ;)
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    I was into Dave for about a year or two in high school but it didn't last that long. It's strange because I was REALLY into them. Saw two concerts and everything. But then I just stopped. Not that I began hating them or anything, but I just stopped caring. Dave Matthews Band stands as the only rock band I've ever stopped listening to. I've gotten "out of" other bands like the Smashing Pumpkins for instance, but I'll still listen to them from time to time and still consider myself a Smashing Pumpkins fan. I don't consider myself a Dave Matthews Band fan anymore. Nothing against them. I've just grown indifferent towards them. Honestly, if not for threads like this, I'd forget they exist.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004
    Both bands have great approaches to "official live bootlegs"
    While DMB has consistently picked "choice shows" to release rather than each show..
    They have a brisk DMBLIVE vault series with tons of great 1993-1996 shows..
    While releasing 2-3 shows from recent tours every year or so..
    The thing about DMB is that almost ALL of their official boots have supreme sound quality.

PJ , on the other hand releases (just about) every show from every tour since 2000..
    The downside is the quality varies... Which ill never understand since you would expect standard mastering of live shows are obtainable noting DMB accomplished it.
    2000 bootlegs were decent with Eds vocals a bit back in the mix.
    2003 was PERFECT IMO .. Then some intern must have been given the job since 2005, 2006 were bland to horrid sound quality..
    2007 was skipped for some strange reason.
    2008 good to GREAT.
    2009 started to reach high quality levels and then BOOM
    2010 horrid horrid horrid..
    These shows were the stick that broke the camels back with
    10c management finally waking up and re-assigning mastering duties to someone with experrience for
    2011 and 2012 (thank god)
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016
    JV130312 wrote:
    kwdaley wrote:

And some people have never been able to understand the appeal of Pearl Jam. I'm a big fan of both bands and they aren't really too that can be compared as they are TOTALLY different styles of music. It's rather dumb to say one is better than the other as music is pretty much subjective to the person listening to it.

:roll:
    Could not agree with you more :thumbup:
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    DMB at Alpine Valley this weekend.....who's going?! Lol
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    I'm not a superfan, but a friend who is bought my lady and I tickets while in NY this summer. Caught his show July 4th at Saratoga Springs. I'm familiar enough with his stuff to know about 90 percent of what he played. Bela Fleck played banjo on a lot of stuff with them and I thought the show was fantastic. Long, with some extended jams. I'd recommend one of their shows to anyone who appreciates musical talent. Carter Beauford is a real beast on the drums.
  • Options
    manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    I'll be at Alpine this weekend. For the record PJ and Tool are my top two. But I do enjoy other music. DMB put on a great show. And they're doing this 2 set thing with the first being acoustic and 2nd being electric. How cool is that?

I want to say it was 2010 last time I saw DMB at Alpine. I was still living in Colorado and I got 2 nights of Tool @ Red Rocks, flew out to Illinois to visit family and caught the 2 nights of DMB @ Alpine. 2 monster drummers in less than a week! I think it's during the drumming section of Two Step where Carter is drumming so hard he comes up off his stool.

One of my favororite songs is Drunken Soldier. It's like a musical journey with all the changes going on.
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • Options
    whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    edited July 2015
    mschostok said:

DMB at Alpine Valley this weekend.....who's going?! Lol

I AM! This marks probably the 9th or 10th time I've seen them there, and it never disappoints!
    Post edited by whoanelly15 on
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

I'll be at Alpine this weekend. For the record PJ and Tool are my top two. But I do enjoy other music. DMB put on a great show. And they're doing this 2 set thing with the first being acoustic and 2nd being electric. How cool is that?

I want to say it was 2010 last time I saw DMB at Alpine. I was still living in Colorado and I got 2 nights of Tool @ Red Rocks, flew out to Illinois to visit family and caught the 2 nights of DMB @ Alpine. 2 monster drummers in less than a week! I think it's during the drumming section of Two Step where Carter is drumming so hard he comes up off his stool.

One of my favororite songs is Drunken Soldier. It's like a musical journey with all the changes going on.

Yes, no opening band was awesome. Dave played 3 songs by himself, then an acoustic set, then the main set. Played for about 3 and a half hours if you don't count the long set break.
  • Options
    whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    Turns out I probably can't go. I have a couple GA tix that I need to unload. Gonna post in Lost Dogs