Options

Pearl Jam v Dave Matthews Band

Comments

• Options
    Fastrichie wrote:
    "Him and that acoustic guitar just standing there...
    and his voice...
    and his songs...
    and his band...
    are what annoys me about DMB. "

LOL!!! you finished my sentence for me!!! Just don't see the attraction to this guy.

+1
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    I've really enjoyed both albums, but I've gotta give the nod to Backspacer.
  • Options
    drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    I'd rather listen to Backspacer, but put into the context of the band's abilities, Big Whiskey.

Pearl Jam, in my opinion, put an album out on par with their last effort while DMB put out their best album in over a decade...
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • Options
    Band to band, live show to live show - PJ wins, no doubt. But I do honestly think that Big Whiskey is a better album than Backspacer.
    nothing's changed but the surrounding bullsh1t
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,004
    apples vs. oranges...

they both taste great.. when you want an apple, grab a deliscious apple..

you feel like an orange... you have an awesome orange there to eat..

yes?

:roll:
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    DMB.. good..
    PJ.. incredible.

Backspacer hands, thumbs, toes, nose down.
  • Options
    DMB are sell outs. They tour every year and Dave takes a much larger cut than the rest of the band and when his new albums comes out his shows are 50% new material which sucks.

Hi i'm Dave Matthews and i use the American Express Card.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
    4/28/2003 Spectrum 7/5/2003 Camden 7/8/2003 MSG 1 7/14/2003 PNC Holmdel 10/02/2004 Toledo 9/12/2005 London, Ontario 5/27/2006 Camden 5/28/2006 Camden 8/5/2007 Lolla 6/14/2008 Bonaroooo 10/28/2009 10/30/2009 10/31/2009 Spectrum 5/21/2010 MSG 9/3/2011 9/4/2011 Alpine Valley
  • Options
    Big Whisky... great album, probably my favorite of theirs. I think a lot of the people who bash DMB stopped listening to them after Under The Table And Dreaming and think all they write is frat boy songs that sound like "Ants Marching" - they probably wouldn't recognize something like "Time Bomb" as being a DMB song. I wonder if the people on this board who bash DMB's early sound also hate people who judge PJ based on Ten...

I'll always be a bigger Pearl Jam fan than a DMB fan, but straight up I'll take Big Whisky over Backspacer - poo and all. For that matter, I like Black Gives Way To Blue more than Backspacer, despite William DuVall's lack of poo-related stories.
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • Options
    DMB are sell outs. They tour every year and Dave takes a much larger cut than the rest of the band and when his new albums comes out his shows are 50% new material which sucks.

Hi, I'm Pearl Jam and I shop at Target. Perhaps you've heard my song "The Fixer" on a commercial for Target? Or while watching college football on ESPN (who also had contracts with AC/DC and DMB)?

Man, I hate those bands that tour every year and play a lot of their new music when they have an album to promote... I'm glad Pearl Jam never tours, and on the rare occasions that they do, they don't play much stuff from their new album...
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    cajunkiwi wrote:

Hi, I'm Pearl Jam and I shop at Target. Perhaps you've heard my song "The Fixer" on a commercial for Target? Or while watching college football on ESPN (who also had contracts with AC/DC and DMB)?

Man, I hate those bands that tour every year and play a lot of their new music when they have an album to promote... I'm glad Pearl Jam never tours, and on the rare occasions that they do, they don't play much stuff from their new album...

thank you for responding. Also pearl jam used their music (yellow Ledbetter) for the series finale of FRIENDS and Used world wide suicide for CSI NY.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906

they're sellout because they tour and play music more than PJ who advertises alot more than them.

Yea that made perfect sense. A band can now be a sellout for playing too much of their music.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    dpmaydpmay Posts: 643
    drew0 wrote:
    I'd rather listen to Backspacer, but put into the context of the band's abilities, Big Whiskey.

Pearl Jam, in my opinion, put an album out on par with their last effort while DMB put out their best album in over a decade...

you win, best comment here. i was never a huge dmb fan, but this new record definitely won me over because it sounded better to me than they usually do.
  • Options
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
    4/28/2003 Spectrum 7/5/2003 Camden 7/8/2003 MSG 1 7/14/2003 PNC Holmdel 10/02/2004 Toledo 9/12/2005 London, Ontario 5/27/2006 Camden 5/28/2006 Camden 8/5/2007 Lolla 6/14/2008 Bonaroooo 10/28/2009 10/30/2009 10/31/2009 Spectrum 5/21/2010 MSG 9/3/2011 9/4/2011 Alpine Valley
  • Options
    I've been dissapointed with Dave since the whole lillywhite sessions situation (which is his 2nd best album right behind Before these Crowded Streets).

I've listened to Big Whiskey. It's better than the last two DMB records, but not moving for me.

Backspacer wins this one.

For those that hate on DMB just because...go pick up Before These Crowded Streets. I don't know how anyone who likes music wouldn't appreciate that album.
  • Options

thumbs up. Olive branch accepted.

Peace and love Peace and love

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri= ... =mv-google
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    i was a DMB hater for a while, but then i heard big whiskey.

that album blew me away.

big whiskey > backspacer.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    thefin190 wrote:
    Disagree. I know that everyone says that DMB is for frat boy douches, but you have to give the band credit for being extremely skilled at their instruments, and Dave Matthews is also a great song writer. I think if you ever experience the band at the Gorge, you won't be posting snarky comments like passing a Natty Ice.

totally agree.

do pearl jam fans forget the amount of meathead frat boys in their very own fan base....?

good thread. two killer albums.
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    I didn't get a chance to read the entire thread but I don't think DMB got 1 vote?
  • Options
    thefin190 wrote:
    Disagree. I know that everyone says that DMB is for frat boy douches, but you have to give the band credit for being extremely skilled at their instruments, and Dave Matthews is also a great song writer. I think if you ever experience the band at the Gorge, you won't be posting snarky comments like passing a Natty Ice.

totally agree.

do pearl jam fans forget the amount of meathead frat boys in their very own fan base....?

Exactly. The meathead factor at Camden 2006 was undeniable. Pearl Jam shut the alcohol off after the first 6 songs on night 2. I've never seen so many people puke/passout before a show, rally and still make it in.
  • Options
    My two favorite bands.... two great albums. Although PJ is still my all-time favorite, hands down BWGK is better than BS. BWGK is one of those timeless albums you can listen to from start to finish over and over again.

The way I see it, DMB should win Best Rock Album this year, and PJ should win next year (BS came out a smidge to late to qualify under grammy rules)
  • Options
    Wolfmother, Cosmic Egg.
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets, oh
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who cannot forgive yourself, oh
    Makes much more sense, to live in the present tense
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Hatfield78 wrote:
    thefin190 wrote:

totally agree.

Exactly. The meathead factor at Camden 2006 was undeniable. Pearl Jam shut the alcohol off after the first 6 songs on night 2. I've never seen so many people puke/passout before a show, rally and still make it in.
    gotta love those philly meatheads who can't handle liquor hehe

You can't really compare pj and dmb. Its unfair to both bands.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    i was a DMB hater for a while, but then i heard big whiskey.

that album blew me away.

big whiskey > backspacer.
  • Options
    LDBLDB Posts: 41
    I am a fan of both, loved both albums, both are great albums. How can you compare...they play different styles of music. Are the Beatles better than the Stones or the Stones better than the Beatles? Asking the question just doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    LDB wrote:
    I am a fan of both, loved both albums, both are great albums. How can you compare...they play different styles of music. Are the Beatles better than the Stones or the Stones better than the Beatles? Asking the question just doesn't make sense.

you can't really compare the bands because of the musical differences. But as a fan if both you can compare the quality of both albums. I just think that out of the two albums that came out this year grux trumps backspacer as far as The quality of an album. (not much) I like both albums.

on a side note I will be checking out the LIVE 3D movie that came out in theaters on Friday.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    I am constantly amazed at the ignorant comments people post about DMB.
    It's one thing not to like them, but some of the things posted really are pathetic. Ignorant PJ fans are in some ways worse than the "douchebag" Dave fans people like to rag on here all the time.

Back to the topic at hand...
    I like DMB, and I think their new album is pretty good. MUCH better than their last 3-4!
    That said, I think Backspacer was a better album.
    I say that not because I do like PJ more than Dave, but because from front to back BC is a more solid album.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,987
    bearfoot61 wrote:
    Wolfmother, Cosmic Egg.

yes....great album

saw them live at the Riviera in Chicago a month ago.....they are awesome
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,945
    Haven't heard DMB's new record. Will download a test listen this weekend.

Dave's best work on film: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEEtTjDi0H0
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:
    Haven't heard DMB's new record. Will download a test listen this weekend.

Dave's best work on film: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEEtTjDi0H0

haha. I hate deez puppies.