Options

Pete thought Pearl Jam sounded amazing!

Surf RiderSurf Rider Posts: 813
edited July 2008 in The Porch
Rock & Roll Daily
Rolling Stone:

In the end, I enjoyed it. I only heard Pearl Jam from my trailer-dressing room, and it sounded amazing. Eddie seems to be very shiny these days. To think he nearly quit in 1993 and went back to some surfing beach. Lucky he came to speak to Uncle Pete. I told him — submit.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/07/23/pete-townshend-muses-on-rock-honors-smashing-computers-eddie-vedder-in-e-mail-to-rolling-stone/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    PJAMEDVED wrote:
    In the end, I enjoyed it. I only heard Pearl Jam from my trailer-dressing room, and it sounded amazing. Eddie seems to be very shiny these days. To think he nearly quit in 1993 and went back to some surfing beach. Lucky he came to speak to Uncle Pete. I told him — submit.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/07/23/pete-townshend-muses-on-rock-honors-smashing-computers-eddie-vedder-in-e-mail-to-rolling-stone/

nice article
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    very cool thanks
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    PJAMEDVED wrote:
    Rock & Roll Daily
    Rolling Stone:

He's right!
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    Thanks for the article.....
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Options
    manhattanmanhattan Posts: 258
    What does he mean by "shiny"??
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    manhattan wrote:

if something is shiny, it is considerd to be new.. things that are brand new are good and work.. and eddie is like he is young - great voice still etc

thats what i think anyway.
  • Options
    clark_kentclark_kent Posts: 166
    PJAMEDVED wrote:
    Lucky he came to speak to Uncle Pete. I told him — submit.

given some of the allegations tossed his way in recent years, that's kinda creepy ;)
    "You've never been out of college, you don't know what it's like out there. I've worked in the private sector... they expect results." -Ray

Denny Crane!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    manhattan wrote:

I took it to mean that Ed was in good spirits and had a positive vibe since he went into the discussion about Ed wanting to quit the band in 2003. Thanks Pete for talking him out of it!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    clark_kent wrote:
    given some of the allegations tossed his way in recent years, that's kinda creepy ;)

Zing!
  • Options
    Stone IronsStone Irons Posts: 430
    I took it to mean that Ed was in good spirits and had a positive vibe since he went into the discussion about Ed wanting to quit the band in 2003. Thanks Pete for talking him out of it!

1993, not 2003.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    clark_kent wrote:
    What part of "cleared of all charges" don't you understand?
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    What part of "cleared of all charges" don't you understand?

the part where that means i can't make a joke about it. also, the part where you remove the stick from...
    "You've never been out of college, you don't know what it's like out there. I've worked in the private sector... they expect results." -Ray

Denny Crane!
  • Options
    clark_kent wrote:
    the part where that means i can't make a joke about it. also, the part where you remove the stick from...
    Sorry, that's just a real touchy subject with Who fans. There are still so many people who sling horrible accusations around. And I had the incredible privilege of meeting Pete before the VH1 show and he's such a wonderful man that I kind of jumped on anything that looked like more criticism.

So I apologize for being a rude bitch.
  • Options
    Sorry, that's just a real touchy subject with Who fans. There are still so many people who sling horrible accusations around. And I had the incredible privilege of meeting Pete before the VH1 show and he's such a wonderful man that I kind of jumped on anything that looked like more criticism.

no worries. you've got to admit, taken out of context, that's a pretty damn funny remark ;)

Denny Crane!
  • Options
    clark_kent wrote:
    no worries. you've got to admit, taken out of context, that's a pretty damn funny remark ;)
    Yeah, and Pete says the damnedest things anyway, in or out of context. He doesn't post in his blog much anymore but when he does sometimes it's really funny. Or the stuff he says in interviews, you never know how to take it.
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    What he meant to say is that "Pearl Jam is and was way better than my dinky band ever was. In fact, they even played our own songs better than us!"
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,422
    I knew I wasn't the only one!

clark_kent wrote:
  • Options
    Ghost Of K.Ghost Of K. Posts: 170
    As with most really intelligent people, talented, and jaded, as years go by, he speaks his mind. Good luck sorting it out.
    Good evening San Diego, I'm Ron Burgundy
    And I'm Veronica Corningstone, Tits McGee is off tonight...
  • Options
    As with most really intelligent people, talented, and jaded, as years go by, he speaks his mind. Good luck sorting it out.
    Well, Pete was speaking his mind in the 60s and you needed luck back then sorting it out sometimes. He's just like that. :D
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229

57 post into your Message Pit career and you're already having to say sorry for being a rude bitch....time to go back to the Who board if you can't control yourself, ya hear? LOL. j/k.

Welcome to the board!! Hopefully you dug PJ's performance on the Rock Honors enough to check out some of their music, if you haven't already done so.

Peace,

RM
  • Options
    whichwaysignwhichwaysign Posts: 229
    Pete's a brilliant man and we should treasure any bit he wishes to dispel on us.
    As for the references to his past legal run-ins, fuck off. Stuff isn't funny
    'I'm like an opening band for the sun'
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,647

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778
    clark_kent wrote:

there's a jackass in every crowd, isn't there.
  • Options
    there's a jackass in every crowd, isn't there.

yeah. fortunately, we're vastly outnumbered by the uptight and humorless so nobody has to worry about laughing or smiling or anything.

Denny Crane!
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778
    clark_kent wrote:
    yeah. fortunately, we're vastly outnumbered by the uptight and humorless so nobody has to worry about laughing or smiling or anything.

post something funny and not juvenile and maybe I'll laugh

this is such an old NON-issue
  • Options
    I_Got_ShitI_Got_Shit Posts: 325
    So you have to be a Wholigans member to read Pete's blog? That's disappointing, he's still hilarious and I would like to hear his opinions on what's going on in the world these days.

Then again, can you imagine if Ed had a blog?
    *Does not include encore of Garden and Leash.
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,316
    I thought they sounded amazing myself. But isn't Pete like almost deaf?
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    57 post into your Message Pit career and you're already having to say sorry for being a rude bitch....time to go back to the Who board if you can't control yourself, ya hear? LOL. j/k.

Welcome to the board!! Hopefully you dug PJ's performance on the Rock Honors enough to check out some of their music, if you haven't already done so.

Peace,

RM
    Thanks for the welcome! I've dug PJ for a long time, just finally got around to joining. Hopefully I'll learn my way around cuz I really like this board and all the PJammers.

BTW I have to apologize for being a rude bitch on the Who board all the time too. Even my friends call me that when they aren't calling me princess. ;)
  • Options
    I_Got_Shit wrote:
    So you have to be a Wholigans member to read Pete's blog? That's disappointing, he's still hilarious and I would like to hear his opinions on what's going on in the world these days.

Then again, can you imagine if Ed had a blog?
    Yeah, it is disappointing. When he had his web site he used to blog a lot and post videos of him working but the word was it was just too difficult to maintain. But he was one of the first musicians I know of to have a web site like that.

But some of his blog entries are still so funny. Also, a few months ago he agreed to do a question and answer with written questions submitted by members of the fan club and he'd give written responses. One of the questions was something like "Would you ever collaborate on an album with Eddie Vedder like the Rough Mix album you made with Ronnie Lane?"

I don't remember the exact wording (if anybody is dying to know I'll go look it up) but Pete's answer was: "People always assume I have lots of time to do things like collaborate on projects like making albums when I don't. I look on Eddie as kind of a surrogate son or brother. I'd love to work with him if the circumstances were right. I made the album with Ronnie because he was my friend and he was flat broke. Could you somehow arrange for Eddie to go broke?"
  • Options
    VOLITIONVOLITION Posts: 328
    Does anyone know where i can find this performace??? VH1 are cocksuckers, b/c i live outside of the U.S. they won't alow me to view their precious videos. I checked You tube and it appears the link has been taken down.

peace
    "it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV