Big Yellow ribbon club news w/ Brad

zappa99zappa99 Posts: 285
edited December 2009 in The Porch
yep, it really is
On Dec 7, 2009, at 5:42 PM, Scot DeCaire wrote:
> is this really brad?

HI Scot

So would you like a few posters for donation then? When is it? If you email me next week, I should have most of the recent orders packed and know what I have left that I could donate...

brad

On Dec 7, 2009, at 6:34 PM, Scot DeCaire wrote:

> Thanks for you response. I am going to donate the Christchurch poster lottery style for the yellow ribbon club and am collecting any donation (you personally could wipe your ass and sign it)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• zappa99zappa99 Posts: 285
    A Christmas Donation to the Yellow Ribbon Club, to sent supplies to our troops overseas, I have already pledged my christchurch A/P, the Master of PJ Prints has also agreed to help. I don't want to list or start pledges before I know what Brad will donate, but this drive will be the same as the last, any donation gets you entered in the drawing. More news upcoming.
    I will also be donating a Kings of Leon "Youth and Young Manhood" 2 lp.

http://www.musicstack.com/item.cgi?item=12227573

It is an est. 200 dollar prize to help spur some overseas and youngster donations.
    I will start taking any donation at the very least you will receive a A/P Christcurch or a Kings of Leon Youth and Young Manhood Lp. Please send all donations through PayPal to <!-- e --><a href="mailto:scotdecaire@yahoo.com">scotdecaire@yahoo.com</a><!-- e -->.

These were the last two winners:

Hi Scot,
    Yes, I received it yesterday and thank you. It is a very cool album, and I appreciate having it although would hesitate to play it for fear of ruining it. I hope the funds raised for this is what you anticipated. Your a good guy. Please, don't hesitate to contact me if there is anything I can do for you. I have albums and other stuff if your ever in the market for trade or if you need a donation.

Thanks again,

Shaun

SPJ
    and....

Scot, I really can't believe this!!! I have been crying for the last half hour after receiving the email from you. Being a child of the 70's I lost someone I loved dearly during Vietnam and swore I would do everything in my power to never let people forget about the people serving not the politics that got us involved. This has been a very emotional day for me and I am sure he would be extremely happy to see me win an LP I have been yearning for since my original disappeared many years ago. Being old school I still have my turntable and a closet of hundreds of albums from my youth through the early 90's when vinyl disappeared. This was a difficult decision because my son who is 13 has played guitar since he was 6 and is a total McCready fanatic so I knew I had to discuss it with him before letting you know. He wanted the poster but at the same time understood what having that vinyl meant to me so he agreed we would accept the Ten promo. His playing is greatly influenced by Mike and Jimi so it held a special significance for him so I am still torn as to what to do. I hope to find him a copy somewhere before his birthday on December 31st to surprise him with it.

But mostly I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your committment to the men and women serving abroad now and trying to help make their lives a little easier with touches and reminders of home. Your generousity and kindness blew me away at the preparties when Dave and I were attempting to not only earn money but also worked hard to get as much as we could for the soldiers to receive care packages from home. I had the honor of meeting many parents and several ex servicemen and it was very healing for me talking to them as well as upsetting from a parental point -of view. I brought the items from Pittsburgh to Philly that they most desired - batteries and calling cards for them to talk to their loved ones as often as possible. Thank you so much for all you do and continue to do to assist our servicepeople coming home and adjusting to life again here, as well as helping them receive special items that mean we back here really care. I hope you will keep in touch and please do not hesitate to ask for any help you may need in whatever cause you undertake in the future. You are one in a million and I hope my small part will make a difference to someone around the world in just knowing someone back home cares. Thanks again and I will write you when I am less emotional. All the best,
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder Posts: 9,118
    wow Scot, this is such amazing news and cool to hear. Very cool that BK himself has also stepped in and up to help. I look forward to seeing what the donation prizes are this time and how you decide to award the prizes. If not a lottery prize like you did last time, maybe we can auction them off on ebay? under the Wishlist Foundation User ID?

For those that do not know, Scot has helped here on this forum as well as helped the Philly Wishlist Pre Parties back in October big time for a non profit called The Yellow Ribbon Club (www.yellowribbonclub.org). The Yellow Ribbon Club is a group of volunteers mostly run by moms, dads, wives, husbands, sisters, brothers, etc of US Troops. I am a volunteer as well.

The YRC does 3 main things:

1) Organizes and hosts Welcome Home Surprise Greetings for anyone serving in Iraq or Afghanistan in "grand fashion", treating our Heroes better than rock stars. For anyone that hasn't seen one, words cant describe them. Chills, tears, and joy are what I experience each and every time. Photos and videos of homecomings are at the website.

2) Collecting and sending care packages to our Heroes over in Iraq and Afghanistan. Every 90 days, a US Serviceman or Servicewoman on our list gets a huge box filled with treats and essentials. Cookie drives are also held to send baked goods during the holidays.

3) Visiting Walter Reed Hospital in Washington DC and assisting our Wounded Heroes as well as their families as well as bringing our Heroes there care packages filled with treats

Just within the last month, the YRC had some disheartening news that the shipping assistance provided to the group (which is a huge expense) has been cut to zero, making it very expensive and difficult to send care boxes. Each box weighs up to 100 lbs. Anyone that has ever shipped anything knows how costly shipping can be now adays. So the timing of what Scot has tried to do by assisting raising funds for the YRC could not be better.

Thank you to everyone past, present, and future who has assisted with their time, energy, and/or money with helping the YRC. With the news of the US now planning on sending an additional 30K troops over to Afghanistan, it looks like the YRC will be a working organization for more years than we had hoped. Any questions, please PM me or go to the YRC site and contact Leslie, the President and Founder on there.

Thanks everyone. Thank you Scot. Thank you to all protecting and serving our country, giving us the freedom to be on this forum when we want to and for giving us the opportunity to be able to say what we want. The first 4 letters of Freedom is "FREE". Freedom certainly is not FREE though. Thank you
    After conferring with a few people the best thing to do is use ebay, instead of what we did last time. Thanks for every ones advice with this I will let the board know what I get and when it is up on the bay, Thanks.