2010 Tour advice needed.

veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
edited November 2009 in The Porch
A message to the more experienced PJ traveller here. I'm trying to decide once we know for sure of dates which way to get a better experience of live PJ for the first time. I'd love the Euro dates to be like 2000 but seeing as there looks like maybe being some festivals happening this seems less likely. This got me thinking that if there did happen to be a 4 night stint at MSG next year maybe that would be a better experience (more like Philly) or would travelling though Europe be better? I think NY might even be a cheaper option given that I'm going to need 4 or 5 shows to make up for the ones I've missed out on? Any suggestions gratefully appreciated. :)
Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chimechime Posts: 7,838
    1st question - would you like to experience PJ GA?

2nd question - what is your 10c number like? there are likely to be a lot of people would go to NY for a 4 night stint and depending on how many seats 10c secure (they managed to get extra in Philly) you could end up quite far from the stage.

I haven't done too much touring around but if budget allows I'd be tempted to do a couple of weeks around Europe with 3 or 4 shows (if as last tour 10c offer standing and GA tickets to the non festival shows you could mix it up) so you get a few days in each location to actually make it a holiday as well. I think lots of dates in a row can get pretty tiring and you end up needing a holiday after your holiday!

If you do Europe look at a map :P as I know on the 07 tour I went to Poland and the band, their equipment and the fans all coming from the previous nights gig in Munich only just made it in time ... without time to set up or sound check properly :shock:

Sure there will be plenty of other opinions coming your way :D
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,056
    chime wrote:
    1st question - would you like to experience PJ GA?

2nd question - what is your 10c number like? there are likely to be a lot of people would go to NY for a 4 night stint and depending on how many seats 10c secure (they managed to get extra in Philly) you could end up quite far from the stage.

I haven't done too much touring around but if budget allows I'd be tempted to do a couple of weeks around Europe with 3 or 4 shows (if as last tour 10c offer standing and GA tickets to the non festival shows you could mix it up) so you get a few days in each location to actually make it a holiday as well. I think lots of dates in a row can get pretty tiring and you end up needing a holiday after your holiday!

If you do Europe look at a map :P as I know on the 07 tour I went to Poland and the band, their equipment and the fans all coming from the previous nights gig in Munich only just made it in time ... without time to set up or sound check properly :shock:

yes this is excellent advice, after doing the euro 09 tour, i was shattered, the travelling to and fro killed me, I was a zombie at the London show.....thats because I'm an imbecile though and like to get to the venue real early every day, so sleep was almost non existant...staggering it more makes perfect sense on a larger scale tour

Sure there will be plenty of other opinions coming your way :D
  • as chime says depends on your 10C number and if you want to stand ? All of the shows I have been to have been in europe and been GA, been down the front a few times and relaxed further back the others, you can do what you like at euro shows

would love to see PJ at MSG but i've been to a couple of gigs in the states (not PJ) and you sit where your ticket is for so for MSG if you dont have a low number it may not be a great seat plus NYC is probably the most expensive city on the planet
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    veddertown wrote:
    A message to the more experienced PJ traveller here. I'm trying to decide once we know for sure of dates which way to get a better experience of live PJ for the first time. I'd love the Euro dates to be like 2000 but seeing as there looks like maybe being some festivals happening this seems less likely. This got me thinking that if there did happen to be a 4 night stint at MSG next year maybe that would be a better experience (more like Philly) or would travelling though Europe be better? I think NY might even be a cheaper option given that I'm going to need 4 or 5 shows to make up for the ones I've missed out on? Any suggestions gratefully appreciated. :)

Well i'll give my view on it seeing i saw PJ @ MSG in 2008 on both nights and well i live in europe so i've done quite a few european shows.

Personally i would go for MSG. I say this because all the 4 shows are in the same place, so like you say its going to be a lot cheaper and a lot lot lot less hassle. Also MSG it will be a proper PJ show and in one of the greatest venues in the world. I dont think your 10c number has a factor at all, anywhere inside MSG is just great tbh. 10c number in europe will mean great seats as pretty much every 10c in europe will go for the ga anyway and sometimes we get perks (09 tour was 15 min early entry but doesn't matter anyway as pj 10c fans will be at the front of any queue :P)

Europe is a lot of fiddly travelling and you got to compensate for all the different languages which can be a bit annoying but everything is in english usually having thought about it unless you go somewhere like Hungary (frickin' Nova Rock 07 grr!). Seems to be rumours about possible festivals which just suck big big big time. If you are up for the travelling across borders, exploration and all the fun/complications it can bring then go for europe.

Dont think i've been any help or made much sense but yeah anything you dont get post away.
  • BeerBaronBeerBaron Posts: 4,097
    I think a lot of us will be asking the same question on a few months.

If you live in Europe, I would say that seeing at least 1 or 2 shows in Europe (avoid the festivals if they aren't your cup of tea) is a must!

That said, as brisk mentioned, seeing 2-4 shows in one city & venue is a great experience and it also allows you to have more of a vacation while you are seeing 3 or 4 shows. The experience in Philly was great this year for me. Being in one city for 6 days - not having to drive 3 hours to another state/city, check in to a new hotel, etc. really makes it more relaxing. Plus, if you are going to go to a city like NYC, which has so much to do and see, you'll want to spend 5 or 6 days there. You can see the many great sights during the day and see 4 PJ shows at night. What more could you ask for?

Personally, I will probably pass on MSG shows only because I was at the '08 shows. But had I not seen the 2 '08 MSG shows, I would hit the next set of MSG shows for sure.

My only question will be whether or not I take a week or so and head to Europe for a couple of shows in 2010, like I did in 2007.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Veddertown,

Myself and a few mates from Lossiemouth and Aberdeen have been following PJ on their European Tours to one extent or another since 2000.

On the last occasion (Berlin, Manchester, London) the major problem we had was trying to do Berlin on the cheap. (Flights, Hotels etc). It looked great on paper at the time but we ended up in Berlin staying miles from the venue, miles from the centre of town etc and we were completely knackered at the gig. There's nothing more depressing than watching your favourite band whilst feeling ill from sleep deprivation.The opposite was London where we booked a hotel right next to the 02 for a little bit more, got loads of sleep on the afternoon of the gig and then had a great time at the concert.

I think one of the best things you can do just now is start a wee PJ touring fund every month (On the basis that the Euro Tour in 2010 is at least 6 months away) stick away some cash and choose 3 or 4 gigs that you can travel between with plenty of rest time between gigs. Use the money you've saved to justify the extra expense you might need to spend to get more flexible flights, better placed hotels etc.

Finally, try and work in a show in Italy at some point during the tour. I've been to Verona x 2 and Bologna and the crowds there have been pretty amazing.

-Paul
  • veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    Thanks for all the kind advice you lot gave up your time for. All good valid points and if anything I've learned sometimes it's good to go with your first instincts. So cheers Brisk for saying what I was hoping someone would say, it made more sense than you gave yourself credit for :D Love the idea of the garden and if I can I'll be at Hyde Park if that comes off. Hope it all happens now. Cheers all :)

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
  • only for money reasons and for go back in NY and for the wishlist pre-partys i ll choose MSG....
    but ..so many fuckin great friends in Europe...so Europe it is too....so both.. :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    You won the lottery yet? :D I should stop buying so many boots but they just make me so goddamn happy :D My missus wants a honeymoon in your back yard (that was yours with the nice old theatre eh!) and she's all for NY but gets to keep the wallet! I offered to keep my balls in her purse too but she was ok with visa :lol:

• veddertown wrote:
    You won the lottery yet? :D I should stop buying so many boots but they just make me so goddamn happy :D My missus wants a honeymoon in your back yard (that was yours with the nice old theatre eh!) and she's all for NY but gets to keep the wallet! I offered to keep my balls in her purse too but she was ok with visa :lol:
    :lol::lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    - You need not follow a whole tour from start to the end. Myself and a number of friends have in the past skipped shows to soak in some of the European culture, making this a more rounded experience (and giving ourselves time to recharge after the shows we did attend)

- Multiple shows in the same city gives you much time to relax, sparing you the need to move from one place to the next. Energy WILL be spent at shows, so any recharging you can do will mean you've got more energy during the shows

- That said, have you been to NYC before? The one thing about European tours is that the cities and countries vary quite a bit from one to the next, so if you haven't been before, and are well used to the Anglophone world, I'd say going to places like Italy and Spain will be really enriching for you.

London costs can be cut down by asking yours truly for couch space when you're in town :)
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
    Hinn wrote:
    - You need not follow a whole tour from start to the end. Myself and a number of friends have in the past skipped shows to soak in some of the European culture, making this a more rounded experience (and giving ourselves time to recharge after the shows we did attend)

- Multiple shows in the same city gives you much time to relax, sparing you the need to move from one place to the next. Energy WILL be spent at shows, so any recharging you can do will mean you've got more energy during the shows

- That said, have you been to NYC before? The one thing about European tours is that the cities and countries vary quite a bit from one to the next, so if you haven't been before, and are well used to the Anglophone world, I'd say going to places like Italy and Spain will be really enriching for you.

London costs can be cut down by asking yours truly for couch space when you're in town :)

Always appreciate couch space from a like minded soul thanks :D I'd love Hyde Park to come off since so many PJ fans are hovering for tickets it would become their day. I've only seen 2 bands overseas which were Ash and Tom Waits both in Amsterdam and I do love European cities but when you have to rush it spoils the experience. The point of next year is to finally get to see PJ after many missed opportunities and the less travel the better. A full UK tour like in 2000 would be some fine! As someone previouly pointed out Italy would be a top destination and the Italy 06 boots are among the best. Thanks for your suggestions and help. The PJ community is like no other :D