True or False

josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,275
edited November 2009 in The Porch
If Nirvana brought grunge to the forefront of the music scene :?: Then Pearl Jam gave it it's groove 8-) no :?: i believe it to be true .
jesus greets me looks just like me ....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    True.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    es verdad! :thumbup:
  • nirvana carry the baby,,pearl jam put it out ,grow it up,make it a big man..
    and as Norm said,,its true,es la verdad,ειναι η αληθεια
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I've never thought Pearl Jam to be a grunge band.
  • i agree with likeanocean. they just happened to be from seattle. granted, i love both bands.
    Caleb Benjamin Higgs-16th December 2006
    Max Lennon Higgs-22nd October 2010
    My two boys are the light of my life.

check my band/project out at www.soundclick.com/nineyardsleft
  • They made grunge good, and were the only survivors of the grunge era.
    You will be no one's rival....

~Cincinnati, US Bank Arena - June 24, 2006~
    ~Chicago, United Center - Aug. 24, 2009~
    ~Columbus, Nationwide Arena - May 6, 2010~
    ~PJ20, Troy, WI, Alpine Valley - Sept. 3, 2011~
    ~PJ20, Troy, WI, Alpine Valley - Sept. 4, 2011~
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    i agree with likeanocean. they just happened to be from seattle. granted, i love both bands.
    When I think of grunge, I think Nirvana and Alice in Chains a much more muddier, lazier sound. Had Nirvana survived, I think even they would have evolved from the grunge sound. I wouldn't consider The Foo Fighters grunge either besides for their earlier sound.

Backspacer is far from a grunge album.

Ten and Vs were hard rock albums. Vitalogy was a classic rock album. No Code experimental. Yield was a nice mix. Binaural another nice experimental mix. Riot Act the same. Avocado was a straight up rock album. Backspacer, rock, new wave and pop.

I'm not even really sure how to classify grunge besides its muddy, distinctive early 90s sound.
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,325
    I think they're a rock and roll band. No :?:
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • redeyeredeye Posts: 620
    PJ were labelled with the grunge tag, and have ties with the genre, but yea the definitive "grunge" band is Nirvana. I guess they were all a part of that time, a bit like the punk era. Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, STP, PJ and Nirvana were the big players, along with staind and creed (??????).....joke lol
  • veddertownveddertown Posts: 5,260
    Mudhoney, AIC, Soundgarden and Nirvana are all grunge to me. PJ may have emerged from the same scene at the same time but I've always classed them alongside Led Zeppelin, The Who and those type of bands. But better! :)
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239
    edited November 2009
    Grunge, damn I'm so tired of this term isn't anyone else? Grunge was a term that was coined by the record companies/music media because they always have to take something original, fuck it up and label it to sell to all the little kiddies. They saw that we were losing interest in the perfect poofy hair, power ballads and over synthesized music and were craving something more original and raw. So they go out and start promoting every band that doesn't wear a costume on stage or has fire breathing dragons as part of their stage act and label them a "Grunge" act! I mean only grungy people wear flannel shirts and cargo shorts with boots on stage, right??

Pearl Jam are not "grunge" they are a rock band and a great one at that! Their casual look is what caused them to be labeled in this genre imo. Trust me if PJ would of come out wearing black leather and jeans during the Ten era they would of easily been classified "metal" most likely. In fact I think they were kinda labeled in this category from time to time as well. And Nirvana are not the godfathers of "grunge" because of their sound as they were merely just another great PUNK band in a long line of many others that came before them. But because they were probably the first band that was promoted with this "grunge" tag they will be forever considered to be a ground-breaking band because of this which I think is a complete joke. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to take anything away from Nirvana as a band but I am tired about hearing how ground breaking they were in everything I read or hear.

So I'm going with false.

RM

(edited: forgot to answer original posters question...)
    Post edited by Red Mosqito on
  • yeah i don't think pearl jam was ever really grunge. just from the same area.
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Pearl Jam were grunge. Now they are not, but in 1991-93 they were. If they weren't, I don't think you would see Eddie, Stone, and Jeff sitting down doing interviews and calling themselves grunge (ala Greg Prato's Grunge is Dead book) Stone and Jeff were the driving force behind PJ in the beginning. They both came from grunge bands. Mother Love Bone was probably the bigger grunge band and would have been bigger than Nirvana had Andy not died. Green River back in the mid 80's was considered grunge. They carried that style into PJ in 1990. It's easy to say now after all of PJ success that they weren't grunge but the facts remain. They transitioned away from it around 94, but to say Ten and Vs didn't have the grunge sound and style and marketing is insane.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    I disagree. MLB were, imo, more glam rock than grunge. Although grungy for a while, PJ are no way grunge now, as I have said in many a post they are well and truly over that tag, which unfortunately has stuck. And I had the term "grunge gods", that is just so cheesy and pathetic, imo. It's like people who label them havent grown up, similar to the dickheads who write reviews of their albums that say they"ve "returned to form", funny how they've had a return to form on every album from Binaural upwards. As far as I'm concerned, grunge died in '93/94 and evolved into something else, ever heard the term "alternative rock" which is what I consider PJ to be!
  • SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    All I know is Dave Grohl is a kick ass drummer.
  • This whole issue is just weird to me every time it comes up, because I never even considered Nirvana and Pearl Jam as similar bands or part of the same genre. I spent a few years overseas in the military in the early nineties, so I kind of missed the whole "grunge" movement in pop culture and the media (thankfully!) The term seemed to be geared more as a provincial Seattle kind of thing, but I myself have always considered it more of a term to describe a sound - a trashy, punk-esque sort of style with distorted, crunchy guitars - like Green River, Mudhoney, L7, early Screaming Trees, early Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains to name a few.

It's kind of like the whole "alternative" thing as well. Most of the music I listened to in the late 80's/early 90's was considered "alternative", before the term became an actual section in music stores. Jane's Addiction, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Chili Peppers, Primus etc. were all kind of lumped into this category - but I never really considered the same "style" or "genre". They all had such defining sounds and very different song structures/styles. They weren't really on the radio much when I began listening to them, or part of mainstream rock. They were simply "new" and an "alternative" to what MTV was playing at the time. Once glam rock started dying off and I first heard Nirvana and Pearl Jam on MTV, I still didn't consider them "grunge" or really the same genre other than just "rock". I don't think the term "grunge" really kicked in until the industry saw these new bands (particularly Seattle bands) becoming popular and quickly sought to define them so they could be packaged and marketed to a national audience.

Even today, I think the term "alternative" is misused - I see some popular music labeled this way because of a particular sound, rather than how the term was initially coined - to describe music that WASN'T popular.
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    pjamaholic wrote:
    I disagree. MLB were, imo, more glam rock than grunge.
    +1

mlb was every bit of glam as poison and 80's bon jovi was.

grunge is nothing more than straight up old school punk with some metal mixed into it.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,056
    indeed, what exactly is grunge?

if its the definition of an era, and a time and a place, then sure PJ fit.

If its about music, Nirvana and PJ are quite different...both great but different in almost every sense musically.

Vedder has a great singing voice, Kurt didnt, but was still a great frontman, he was more shouty and raw.
    Mcready and Stone can both play guitar very well...Kurt for the most part hit the chords....
    etc etc
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    pdalowsky wrote:
    indeed, what exactly is grunge?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunge

Grunge is generally characterized by a sludgy guitar sound that uses a high level of distortion, fuzz and feedback effects. Grunge fuses elements of hardcore punk and heavy metal, although some bands performed with more emphasis on one or the other. The music shares with punk a raw sound and similar lyrical concerns.[1] However, it also involves much slower tempos, dissonant harmonies, and more complex instrumentation – which is reminiscent of heavy metal. Some individuals associated with the development of grunge, including Sub Pop producer Jack Endino and the Melvins, explained grunge's incorporation of heavy rock influences such as Kiss as "musical provocation." Grunge artists considered these bands "cheesy" but nonetheless enjoyed them; Buzz Osborne of the Melvins described it as an attempt to see what ridiculous things bands could do and get away with.[6] In the early 1990s, Nirvana's signature "stop-start" song format became a genre convention.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• i dont believe pearl jam are grunge ..........straight up rock is how i put

i think they got lumped in with nirvana because of seattle

and i think that cobain is kinda over rated!!!! :P
    Maybe, someday another child
    Won't feel as alone as she does

i swear i reconize your breath
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising
  • FeiracoFeiraco Posts: 255
    I agree with those claiming that Pearl Jam isn't grunge now nor was it grunge in the early 1990s. Especially the (to the large mass) well-known songs like Alive and Jeremy dont sound 'grunge' at all.

It was easy to give them the grunge label for marketing purposes, simply because they come from Seattle. Sure, their clothing style was 'grunge' and they came up in the grunge-era, but that doesn't make their music to be grunge.
    Rotterdam 2000 (CANCELLED) | Arnhem 2006 | Rotterdam 2009 | Berlin 2009 | Arras 2010 | Amsterdam-1 2012 | Amsterdam-2 2012 | EV Amsterdam-1 2012 | EV Amsterdam-2 2012 | Amsterdam-1 2014 | Amsterdam-2 2014 | EV Amsterdam-2 2017 | EV Amsterdam-3 2017