Options

Why Do Pearl Jam CDs Only Come in Cardboard Cases?

Comments

• Options
    Ernie VedderErnie Vedder Redlands, CA Posts: 2,241
    I've always figured it was just so it had more of a vinyl album look to it. But does it even matter? As long as they keep putting them out, I'll buy them. They could be wrapped in leaves for all I care.
    :)

it doesn't matter when it's a sleeve live yield or binaural, but the vitalogy, no code, and backspacer artwork, nice as it all is, is awful for getting the cd in and out of the case without having it be scratched to hell in no time. i hate these flimsy cardboard cases that is like a glorified container for the startup disc you get with your computer.

Exactly...i don't hate the cardboard sleeves, but you do have a good point, it's a pain in the butt too put the CD back into the sleeve esp. when your driving
    A54CDC74-AB63-4EC8-9B55-3658DDD136FC-13112-000005CA4B5AFE40_zps094ecfbc.jpg
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Either way doesn't bother me...BUT who's with me...when you open the AVOCADO album...go to grab the CD the Booklet goes 'FLYING' out!...happens all the time lol :roll:
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,949
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    My VS CD is a traditional plastic CD holder ,
    the only PJ CD i own in the non-cardboard caseholder.

What about Pearl Jam's Ten? :shock:
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    demetrios wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:

duh

oh yeah

make that 2

For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    redeyeredeye Posts: 620
    yea, must be cheaper to produce to, (cardboard) should reflect in the price i guess?
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    demetrios wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:

duh

oh yeah

make that 2

Their 1st DVD "Single Video Theory" didn't come in a cardboard case, unless you got the VHS
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Cardboard cases are much more stylistic. They give you more artistic freedom. The jewel cases are just cheap and generic.

Besides, who plays the actual CD anymore anyways? All of my cases past Yield are in mint condition. CD's get downloaded to my PC and burned for my car, or just played through iTunes.
  • Options
    Cardboard cases are much more stylistic. They give you more artistic freedom. The jewel cases are just cheap and generic.

Besides, who plays the actual CD anymore anyways? All of my cases past Yield are in mint condition. CD's get downloaded to my PC and burned for my car, or just played through iTunes.

Cardboard Cd cases in Mint condition? Yeah right.
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,323
    My Ten cassette came in a plastic case. :mrgreen:
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    My Ten cassette came in a plastic case. :mrgreen:

i have that too
  • Options
    i love and hate the carboard cases. I love them because they are easier to post and tend not to break like plastic cases. Whereas i hate the carboard cases as it is hard to get the cd/dvds out of them.
    Rod Laver Arena - Feb 18, 2003
    Rod Laver Arena - Nov 13, 2006
    Adelaide Oval - Nov 17, 2009
    Etihad Stadium - Nov 20, 2009
    BDO Melbourne - Jan 24, 2014
    New York - May 02 - 2016

Powered by Pearl Jam
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    Well pj are the only cds I buy now. For the artwork. I just grin and bare it taking the cd out the first and only time to put it on itunes. (yeah, cardboard sleeves srcatch) Then it goes with all my other pj cds in my closet....never to be touched again. :lol: just kidding on the never again part.

Plastic does not biodegrade, cardboard does.
    And pj doesn’t know who is going to buy their cds….not everybody is a megafan who’s going to keep the case FOREVER. ;)

http://www.greatgarbagepatch.org/

oh yeah............what did the Vs cardboard look like?
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    The Backspacer cover is the worst.
    It won't close for me.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Well pj are the only cds I buy now. For the artwork. I just grin and bare it taking the cd out the first and only time to put it on itunes. (yeah, cardboard sleeves srcatch) Then it goes with all my other pj cds in my closet....never to be touched again. :lol: just kidding on the never again part.

Plastic does not biodegrade, cardboard does.
    And pj doesn’t know who is going to buy their cds….not everybody is a megafan who’s going to keep the case FOREVER. ;)

http://www.greatgarbagepatch.org/

oh yeah............what did the Vs cardboard look like?

I don't have it, but there is a picture of it on the PLACE/DATE Book
  • Options

hehehe.....i feel dumb. what's the place/date book?

• Options

Oh, it's a Photo Book PJ came out with back in 1999- 2000 i think its in the goods section, it has alot of really cool pictures. Anyways, there's a pic of the old Drummer, Dave, signing a copy of the VS. CD, it's a cardboard case. i heard they only made a few like that, then they switched to the plastic case
  • Options

Oh, it's a Photo Book PJ came out with back in 1999- 2000 i think its in the goods section, it has alot of really cool pictures. Anyways, there's a pic of the old Drummer, Dave, signing a copy of the VS. CD, it's a cardboard case. i heard they only made a few like that, then they switched to the plastic case

ya mean this one?

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp31 ... s/36-1.jpg

36.jpg

http://www.pjcollectors.com/detail.asp?id=319

Never seen this in the stores! Just now did a search for it!
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,763
    Before I got an iPod, you could tell my favorite CD's by which jewel cases were broken. Example - Kid A by Radiohead. On the other hand, the case for Yield stayed in fine shape. Plastic cases are pieces of shit. Cardboard rules!

Someone mentioned how the Avocado booklet always falls out - so true.

The packaging for the Backspacer LP is spectacular. I guess that's off-topic - oh well.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    I prefer plastic.
    CD's scratch in the cardboard.
    And they easily fall out.
    Happened to my Backspacer cd.

my Vitalogy is DESTROYED because of that very reason. :x
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202

why do you buy the cd then? why not just download it entirely and burn a copy for your car? what do you do with the original, actual cd if you only ever play a copy of it elsewhere?
  • Options

why do you buy the cd then? why not just download it entirely and burn a copy for your car? what do you do with the original, actual cd if you only ever play a copy of it elsewhere?

No Sh*t....... :lol:
  • Options
    ya mean this one?

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp31 ... s/36-1.jpg

36.jpg

Yup, That's the one, dave has the same tattoo i have, lol
  • Options
    I prefer plastic.
    CD's scratch in the cardboard.
    And they easily fall out.
    Happened to my Backspacer cd.

I do as well.

In the end, I don't actually listen to the CD's much. Ripped straight to my computer and thrown on my ipod/palm pre, and if I do listen to the "CD" then I copy the CD so I don't scratch the original. But I've still scratched a CD getting it out of cardboard. I much prefer plastic.
  • Options
    http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/feature/q-a-pearl-jam-s-jeff-ament-1003954760.story#/featured%20artist/q-a-pearl-jam-s-jeff-ament-1003954760.story?page=2

Except for that first record, for me, I feel like on every record, we overextended ourselves with the sorts of packages we put out. With "Vitalogy," that package cut into about 30 to 40% of our royalties, because the manufacturing wasn't set up to do what we wanted. On "Vs.," we did an ecopack, which they don't do anymore. It preceded the digipak. It was us trying to take plastic out of the package and make it more like a record; to make it feel like you were opening something up and something inside would reveal itself. It would be big enough to be a substantial piece of art, and it wouldn't be in a jewel case. We hated those from the very beginning, because they were breakable. The spines would break, the cases would crack and you couldn't close them.

Interview with Jeff Ament...and you're all welcome :ugeek:
  • Options
    Cool quote.

For all bitching about it ruining the cd…why don’t you keep it in it’s own separate jewel case?

Thanks HM3 and demetrios.

• Options

np! :)

You should have that show in the mail any day now! ;)
  • Options
    Cool quote.

For all bitching about it ruining the cd…why don’t you keep it in it’s own separate jewel case?

You're Welcome
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:

Mine's in a yellow digipack
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:

Mine's in a yellow digipack

Really?
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Cool quote.

it doubles the amount of crap i have lying around the house. and if i'm going to do that, why bother keeping the cd case at all?