Best amp for PJ tone

pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,673
hi,

just wondering what amp/amps I should get for the PJ tone, i know both mike and stone use a wide variety of amps so just seeing what you guys think i should ask for for xmas! thanks
Virginia Beach 2000
DC 2003
DC 2004 (VFC)
DC 2006
Pittsburgh 2006
Bonnaroo 2008
Virginia Beach 2008
DC 2008
Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
PJ 20 night 1
PJ 20 night 2
Phoenix 2013
LA 1 2013
Memphis 2014
Jacksonville 2016
Greenville 2016
Hampton 2016
Columbia 2016
Fenway 1 2016
Fenway 2 2016
Wrigley 1 2018
Wrigley 2 2018
Fenway 1 2018
Fenway 2 2018
Sea Hear Now 2021
Nashville 2022
Louisville 2022
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The "classic" or "vintage" Pearl Jam guitar tone (think Ten and Versus) is predominantly Marshall amps, with Stone playing humbucker-equipped Les Pauls and Mike playing mostly his vintage Strat. A Marshall JCM 800, JCM 900, JTM 45/Bluesbreaker, etc. would all give you the ability to get that older PJ tone.

There are a lot of Marshall-ish amps out there these days, like Dr. Z, Bad Cat, Bogner, etc. There are the old Sovtek Mig and Sovtek Midget amps, which were Russian-made copies of old Marshalls. Honestly, though, I'd probably just recommend getting a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or Hot Rod Deville, and then getting a couple or three pedals to get a Marshall-type tone. An Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer was used on a lot of Pearl Jam stuff, as was Stone's SD-9 Sonic Distortion. A Marshall Guvnor or ProCo Rat can both get really good Marshall distortion sounds. There are a ton of other pedals out there that do a "Marshall-in-a-box" thing, so those are just some starting points.

Over the years, Stone and Mike have used Fender, Peavey, Savage, Vox, Top Hat, Mesa Boogie, and custom amps made for them by amp tech Sal Trentino (among others; people will undoubtedly add to this list). Ed used mostly Hiwatt amps for many years, but has recently been playing Fender Tweed Deluxe and Tweed Twin amps.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Yeah. That pretty much covers it.
    And just because it's a little passion of mine: I know Mke used an Orange in Maui 98. I'v looked, but couldn't find any evidence of him using it anywhere else. So, it could've been a rented amp or something. (Which is a shame, really, couse I love these amps.)Does anyone know anything more about that?
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,673
    guitargeek website says mike had an orange cab in his setup for a while in 98
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • The "classic" or "vintage" Pearl Jam guitar tone (think Ten and Versus) is predominantly Marshall amps, with Stone playing humbucker-equipped Les Pauls and Mike playing mostly his vintage Strat. A Marshall JCM 800, JCM 900, JTM 45/Bluesbreaker, etc. would all give you the ability to get that older PJ tone.

There are a lot of Marshall-ish amps out there these days, like Dr. Z, Bad Cat, Bogner, etc. There are the old Sovtek Mig and Sovtek Midget amps, which were Russian-made copies of old Marshalls. Honestly, though, I'd probably just recommend getting a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or Hot Rod Deville, and then getting a couple or three pedals to get a Marshall-type tone. An Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer was used on a lot of Pearl Jam stuff, as was Stone's SD-9 Sonic Distortion. A Marshall Guvnor or ProCo Rat can both get really good Marshall distortion sounds. There are a ton of other pedals out there that do a "Marshall-in-a-box" thing, so those are just some starting points.

Over the years, Stone and Mike have used Fender, Peavey, Savage, Vox, Top Hat, Mesa Boogie, and custom amps made for them by amp tech Sal Trentino (among others; people will undoubtedly add to this list). Ed used mostly Hiwatt amps for many years, but has recently been playing Fender Tweed Deluxe and Tweed Twin amps.

Ahhh! destroy all JCM 900's :mrgreen:
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • pjpjpaul wrote:
    guitargeek website says mike had an orange cab in his setup for a while in 98

Yeah. I knew that. That was there for quite a while. But as far as the amp goes I'm still not sure if it popped up anywhere else.
  • If you want Mike's current tone you can drop about $2500.00 on a Savage Audio Blitz 50. I agree with the post above though, that a cheaper way would be the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.
    Rushmore Plaza Civic Center - Jun 24, 1998; Sandstone Amphitheatre - Jul 03, 1998; Sandstone Amphitheatre - Oct 12, 2000; Mid-America Center - Jun 13, 2003; Fargo Dome - Jun 15, 2003; Xcel Energy Center - Jun 26, 2006; Xcel Energy Center - Jun 27, 2006; United Center - Aug 23, 2009
    Sprint Center - May 03, 2010; Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 2011
  • savmansavman Posts: 230
    And Stone seems to be using Vox's at the mo. AC-30 no doubt.
  • Hot Rod Deluxe and then get a Marshall Guv'nor (GV2) overdrive pedal. It's basically like adding a Marshall JCM800 to your amps. You can get that classic Pearl Jam distortion/overdrive. Think Alive/Porch tone. My Fender Roc-Pro 700 gives me the exact same cleans as Mike gets on Black/Yellow Ledbetter. It's hella cheaper than the Hot Rod Deluxe but it's an ebay find and it's not going to give you same overdrive as the Hot Rod Deluxe will. The tube screamer is great if you get a tube amp. Otherwise, it won't sound too much like PJ. Instead of the Sonic Distortion, a moded Super Overdrive by BOSS (pretty easy to do) gives you the same sound for less $$. The DeVille doesn't have a really good drive channel, compared to the Hot Rod Deluxe, in my opinion. None the less, no matter what you do, I'd get the Marshall GV2
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • GeertGeert Posts: 101
    I have the Vox Valvetronix VT30. ( http://www.voxamps.com/us/valvetronix/vt-series/ )
    And I'm still looking the real PJ-sound! :roll:
    Can someone help me with the set up (not only to select the right Amp Model, but also to find the right settings)?
    Thx
    Antwerp 30-08-2006, Paris 11-09-2006, Berlin 23-09-2006.
    Düsseldorf 21-06-2007, Nijmegen 28-06-2007, Werchter 29-06-2007.
    London Shepherd's Bush 11-08-2009, Rotterdam 13-08-2009.
    Nijmegen 27-06-2010, Berlin 30-06-2010, Arras 04-07-2010,
    Werchter 05-07-2010, Manchester 20-06-2012, Amsterdam 26-06-2012, Amsterdam 27-06-2012, Werchter 29-06-2012, Berlin 04-07-2012, Amsterdam 16-06-2014, Amsterdam 17-06-2014, Werchter 05-07-2014
  • i think its probably best to try and find an amp with as little settings on as possible.

I have a Laney VC-30 212 tube (ac30 clone) and it has a gorgeous tone and some major kick. It has 2 channels, spring reverb, then when it comes to eq- just bass, middle and treble..(all set to 12 o'clock)..infront of that for drive i use a maxon od9 (original ts9) and for some distorted sound i switch on the drive channel at the same time but keep the levels low and it boosts very clean. I always think my amp/set up sounds like No Code or Riot Act.

The laney is 'class a' so the tone you get is so responsive and warm. I found this amp for next to nothing and bought it on a whim and the only other amp i'd go for in its range is a hot rod....i love my laney vc30!!..oh i'd have a lionheart anyday if someone wants to give one away! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67_PBrQIeQw this is decent demo doesn't show off the dirt that can be gained though ;)

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
  • Yup, Im with reaching hands on this one: A simple amp with a good tone to go, tube based.

Im using the Blackheart BH5-112 which is a single tubed 12" combo with a 3w/5w switch for a mellover vs. harder sound.

With a good OD / Boost pedal added, even this is enough to nail most tones. Then, depending on the other sounds you need, tremolos, delays etc. are needed.

I use this with a cheap Digitech Bad Monkiey OD pedal, and it's great. Gives a smooth breakup for things like Love Boat Captain or Immortality or then rawer sounds in the 5w mode for the early stuff.
    Arnhem '06 / Nijmegen '07 / Hartford '08 / Hyde Park '10

Demanding Pearl Jam to Finland: http://eventful.com/demand/D0-001-000849519-7
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    i can pretty much replicate mikes exact early PJ tone with my setup, which is my strat plugged into a fender hot rod deluxe amp, gives a great clean tone that sounds much like mikes clean tones in studio ledbedder, black, river of deceit, alone, garden, alive etc

for his distortion can't go past the marshall guvnor pedal, gives the alive/porch JCM800 sound nicely.
    oh and to even further replicate his tone i also have a dunlop crybaby wahh and a dunlop rotovibe. both used extensively live by him in the early days, and also both pedals used in parts of many old studio songs from alive, state of love and trust, garden, black etc

so yeah for mikes tone, if you can afford it i highly recommend a hot rod deluxe and then some stomp boxes to cover the non clean tones

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • i've played most of the amps listed here. i gotta say you need nothing but and old jcm 800 and a few pedals.

for mike's current clean tone i use a 1994 matchless clubman and for the dirty i use a 1974 marshall jmp with either a sonic distortion or a box of rock pedal. i just a-b these amps. i just modulate my guitar volumes to get most of the light and heavy distortions. i also have some other pedals i use like a rotosphere but i use that sparingly. in my band, when we play pearl jam tunes i play stone's parts and i think i am very close to his old school tone.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    i've played most of the amps listed here. i gotta say you need nothing but and old jcm 800 and a few pedals.

for mike's current clean tone i use a 1994 matchless clubman and for the dirty i use a 1974 marshall jmp with either a sonic distortion or a box of rock pedal. i just a-b these amps. i just modulate my guitar volumes to get most of the light and heavy distortions. i also have some other pedals i use like a rotosphere but i use that sparingly. in my band, when we play pearl jam tunes i play stone's parts and i think i am very close to his old school tone.
    hey dude do you use a volume pedal to pan between clean and your dirty amps like mike/stone used to back in the day? ive always wanted a setup like that. in the future i aim to buy a jcm800 and keep my fender for cleans and use a volume pedal to pan to marshall for dirty!

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • Pappas wrote:
    i've played most of the amps listed here. i gotta say you need nothing but and old jcm 800 and a few pedals.

hey dude do you use a volume pedal to pan between clean and your dirty amps like mike/stone used to back in the day? ive always wanted a setup like that. in the future i aim to buy a jcm800 and keep my fender for cleans and use a volume pedal to pan to marshall for dirty!
    nah i use an a-b pedal and just use my guitar knobs to clean or dirty the signal. i always wanted to get a volume pedal and set it up like you say but space is limited on my pedal board and those volume pedals are pretty big. one of these days i will do it, as it would probably be easier than trying to play and turn guitar knobs at the same time. i got the a-b pedal from the other guitarist in my band that has a bad cat and the a-b pedal is necessary for that amp to get it to break up. he stopped using the bad cat in favor of his old jcm 800 and he gave me the pedal so i can a-b my heads.

Geert wrote:
    I have the Vox Valvetronix VT30. ( http://www.voxamps.com/us/valvetronix/vt-series/ )
    Can someone help me with the set up (not only to select the right Amp Model, but also to find the right settings)?
    Thx

No one who can help an absolute beginner?
    For me, it's hard to find the similar sound.
    Werchter 05-07-2010, Manchester 20-06-2012, Amsterdam 26-06-2012, Amsterdam 27-06-2012, Werchter 29-06-2012, Berlin 04-07-2012, Amsterdam 16-06-2014, Amsterdam 17-06-2014, Werchter 05-07-2014
  • savmansavman Posts: 230
    Hi Geert,
    You probably need to elaborate a bit more on the guitars and pedals you are using (your set up), also whether you are rocking out in you bedroom, in a rehersal room, or in a live setting to enable us to help you a bit more. All of these factors affect your tone.
    Cheers
  • Geert wrote:
    Geert wrote:
    Thx

Which PJ era are you looking for, who do you want to sound like, what gear do you already have? I can tell you that Stone is using a vox, right now. From when I used a vox, I could not find any sound that was close to PJ
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
    Geert wrote:
    Geert wrote:
    Thx

Which PJ era are you looking for, who do you want to sound like, what gear do you already have? I can tell you that Stone is using a vox, right now. From when I used a vox, I could not find any sound that was close to PJ

I just have the Vox Valvetronix VT30 en a MIM Fender Telecaster. No pedals. But the amp has many presets and effects. Till now I just played acoustic, so the electric way is new for me.
    I'm just interested in rhytm guitar, like Stone or like Eddie when he plays some intro's. For example like the intro of Porch during Austin City Limits or just straight ahead like RITFW.
    And which era? Don't know exactly, but I like the current sound.
    Geert wrote:
    Geert wrote:
    Thx

stone also seems to be using his old jcm-800 yes?

i swear i saw it in the shows i saw, as well as recognized its tone during some songs (mainly alive)

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • Pappas wrote:
    stone also seems to be using his old jcm-800 yes?

i swear i saw it in the shows i saw, as well as recognized its tone during some songs (mainly alive)
    yeah he is playing the 800, and jeff is playing the marshall lemmy signature head. mike is playing an old marshall as well, maybe a jmp or something? i love their old school tone, screw all of the boutique stuff they used the last few years. imo their guitar tone suffered greatly the last few albums and tours until they brought back the vintage amps on backspacer....while we are at it, ed bring back the damn hiwatt and batwings!!!!!

• Geert wrote:
    I just have the Vox Valvetronix VT30 en a MIM Fender Telecaster. No pedals. But the amp has many presets and effects. Till now I just played acoustic, so the electric way is new for me.
    I'm just interested in rhytm guitar, like Stone or like Eddie when he plays some intro's. For example like the intro of Porch during Austin City Limits or just straight ahead like RITFW.
    And which era? Don't know exactly, but I like the current sound.

In that case the tele is a good way to start. Ed has been using Teles a lot over the years whith some variations, as has Stone until the most recent tours where he seems to rely mainly on Strats and Les Pauls.
    As for amps, Ed has been using Fender tweed amps for quite a while now and, as has been stated stated before, Stone is currently using his old Marshall JCM 800 and a VOX AC30. As far as I know, your amp has amp models for all of these but I don't know how good they are.
    And for the rythm stuff you wouldn't need any effects in most cases. Maybe an overdrive here and there.
  • my sound is fairly close to the older PJ tones. i converted last year from marshall amps to the fender supseronic. it is hands down the greatest amp i have ever owned, i doubt i'll ever purchase another one. if you wanna hear it, here is a live video of my band doing Voodoo Child in Hollywood a couple weeks ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MaZmqC_JBA

lol i never noticed, but the way we play it, it kind of sounds like Why Go heh.

if you wanna hear my tone on my actual album, (just came out in November, you can find it on iTunes... hey a little self promotion never hurts =P ) you can hear the whole record at

http://www.myspace.com/adamsmith145

and you can see the album video preview at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz_x6CYsSUA

if you go to the youtube video, you can follow it to all my other live videos. like i said, i think the tone is fairly early PJish.
    i just ordered a fender hot rod deluxe tonight! i got a great deal on it (600) brand new from musicians friend...
    I am thinking about upgrading the speaker to a celestion vintage 30 in a month or so... does anyone know what a good upgrade for pickups would be on a mexi strat to get a nice PJ tone? i have a few lace sensors in right now that have been in it for like 8 years and i think it just needs a different tone now... thanks!
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
    my sound is fairly close to the older PJ tones. i converted last year from marshall amps to the fender supseronic. it is hands down the greatest amp i have ever owned, i doubt i'll ever purchase another one. if you wanna hear it, here is a live video of my band doing Voodoo Child in Hollywood a couple weeks ago:

if you wanna hear my tone on my actual album, (just came out in November, you can find it on iTunes... hey a little self promotion never hurts =P ) you can hear the whole record at

if you go to the youtube video, you can follow it to all my other live videos. like i said, i think the tone is fairly early PJish.
    nice cover dude. has anyone told you you sound like mccready when you sing lol

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • Pappas wrote:
    my sound is fairly close to the older PJ tones. i converted last year from marshall amps to the fender supseronic. it is hands down the greatest amp i have ever owned, i doubt i'll ever purchase another one. if you wanna hear it, here is a live video of my band doing Voodoo Child in Hollywood a couple weeks ago:

nice cover dude. has anyone told you you sound like mccready when you sing lol

lol thanks! (i think lol)

i have to admit... never on the vocals have i ever had a mccready comparison, that is def a new one! one that i get allllll the time though is mark knopfler (which hey... not gonna complain about that!). even at 28 i'm a huuuuge dire straits fan! but even though i have been told that at a bunch at different shows, i don't really hear it myself.

but going back to the guitar tone... we don't play a lot of covers, just 2 or 3 at most per show, which is usually around 90 minutes.. but i need to upload one of our live Do The Evolutions or In My Trees. i think that would illustrate better the PJ tone that you can get with the fender supersonic (hey, the amp is even aptly named!). i love that thing =)
  • pjpjpaul wrote:
    i just ordered a fender hot rod deluxe tonight! i got a great deal on it (600) brand new from musicians friend...
    I am thinking about upgrading the speaker to a celestion vintage 30 in a month or so... does anyone know what a good upgrade for pickups would be on a mexi strat to get a nice PJ tone? i have a few lace sensors in right now that have been in it for like 8 years and i think it just needs a different tone now... thanks!

i would look into some lollars for the strat.

i love vintage 30s. all of my cabs have vintage 30s. i love the nice midrangey voice they have, not too bright. my other guitarist swears by greenbacks, but IMO they break up too easily so its all a matter of opinion.

hope you enjoy the amp, but break it in before you go and start changing speakers and stuff.

• Hot Rod Deluxe and then get a Marshall Guv'nor (GV2) overdrive pedal. It's basically like adding a Marshall JCM800 to your amps. You can get that classic Pearl Jam distortion/overdrive. Think Alive/Porch tone. My Fender Roc-Pro 700 gives me the exact same cleans as Mike gets on Black/Yellow Ledbetter. It's hella cheaper than the Hot Rod Deluxe but it's an ebay find and it's not going to give you same overdrive as the Hot Rod Deluxe will. The tube screamer is great if you get a tube amp. Otherwise, it won't sound too much like PJ. Instead of the Sonic Distortion, a moded Super Overdrive by BOSS (pretty easy to do) gives you the same sound for less $$. The DeVille doesn't have a really good drive channel, compared to the Hot Rod Deluxe, in my opinion. None the less, no matter what you do, I'd get the Marshall GV2

Hi xtremehardy388 ~ I have a Hot Rod Deluxe and just purchased the Marshall Guv'nor. Out of curiousity, would you share your favorite settings for both the amp and the Guv'nor to get that early PJ tone for Alive, Porch, etc.? I've been messing around with it a bit, but want to try dialing in recommended settings from others with a similar setup. I play an Epi Les Paul Custom (with Burstbucker's).
    1991-11-30 St. Paul, MN 1992-08-28 St. Paul, MN 1998-06-30 Minneapolis, MN 2000-10-08 East Troy, WI 2003-06-16 St. Paul, MN 2006-06-26 St. Paul, MN 2006-06-27 St. Paul, MN 2006-07-07 San Diego, CA 2007-08-05 Chicago, IL 2008-06-24 New York, NY 2009-08-23 Chicago, IL 2009-08-24 Chicago, IL 2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis, MN 2011-09-03 PJ20 East Troy, WI 2011-09-04 PJ20 East Troy, WI 2013-07-19 Wrigley Chicago, IL 2014-10-19 St. Paul, MN
    I too would also love to know some of the specific settings on the marshall gv2 pedal and the fender hot rod deluxe to get the pj tones mentioned before... thanks!
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Hub.Hub. Posts: 1,990
    Hi! ;)

Here’s my problem (I know what you’re gonna say: “gotta buy a new Amp and a new guitar”, but the thing is, I can't afford that, for the moment :( ): I play with a Frontman 212R Amp and an Epiphone (Les Paul signature) guitar.

With my band, we’re going to cover two PJ songs (Alive and Breath And A Scream), which means early PJ songs.

I know that miracles don’t exist and that, with such an equipment, I’ll never get the same sound.

But does someone know how to adjust this amp to get (in some way) closer to that sound. Something Early Pearl Jam-like?

Thanks a lot, guys. :wave: