How's this for obsessed?

walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,569
edited December 2009 in The Porch
Some of you might remember my massive "Release" project that I started nearly two years ago (if not, the thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2906).

So last week I decided that I love the song so damn much that I wanted to play all 104 live versions that I own non-stop until I had heard them all. At the same time, I wanted to see if I could find one definitive live version of the song that stood out among all the others.

About this time last week I set about doing so. I made a playlist on my iPod with only "Release" live versions on it. I then set my iPod to random and let it play. I listened in my car on my way to/from work; I listened while running and working out; I listened at home; essentially, every time I listened to my iPod "Release" was all i listened to for about a week straight.

I finally wrapped up the project this morning. I never got bored, and it was pretty cool to hear the song from so many different years and cities.

In the end, I came up with one version of the song that I felt was superior to all others. I can't quite pinpoint the reason why -- the crowd participation/reaction is not anywhere close to what it is for some of the others (which is usually a very important factor for me). It's not from a show that I, or anyone I know, attended. However, it is sung so powerfully, with such intensity in Ed's voice, that it just reaches out and grabs me and doesn't let go. When this version came up on my iPod this weekend, I ended up listening to it 4 times in a row just because it is so captivating. It's like being in a room without windows with just Ed standing in front of you belting out the song, not noticing you are even there. It's beautiful.

It is Tokyo, Japan, 3/3/03. If you don't have it already, it is here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ATW16TBA.
Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I hope Boston '06 made it to the final four...
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    (I just listened to the '03 Tokyo version for the first time in a while: great version for sure....gotta love the followup w/ Can't Keep too)
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I actually bought that boot (I dunno why I find that strange :roll: ) but I'm listening now 8-)
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • BrianMBrianM Posts: 41
    I just listened to Boston 06, that Release was pretty damn good
    4/11/94 9/26/96 10/2/96
    9/15/96 9/16/96 8/29/00
    8/30/00 7/2/03 7/3/03
    7/11/03 9/28/04 5/24/06
    5/26/06 6/28/08 6/30/08

EV Boston Opera House Night 1
  • MASMAS Posts: 630
    to the op I would like your thoughts on this.....
    what about that version in Kansas 03' when a bolt of lightning flashed accross the sky right as Ed sang "like you somehow...." without missing a beat he says "hi Dad"..... if that isn't enough to put goosebumps on your chills I don't know what is!

• SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,594
    Did this for my "obsessed" song which is Tremor Christ. Good to see I'm not alone as far as the obsession part goes. It never occurred to me to start a thread about it. I prolly should have I guess :)
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
    BinFrog wrote:
    (I just listened to the '03 Tokyo version for the first time in a while: great version for sure....gotta love the followup w/ Can't Keep too)
    Oh yes! That particular one is superb!

#standingman #duranadam
  • MAS wrote:
    to the op I would like your thoughts on this.....
    what about that version in Kansas 03' when a bolt of lightning flashed accross the sky right as Ed sang "like you somehow...." without missing a beat he says "hi Dad"..... if that isn't enough to put goosebumps on your chills I don't know what is!

I'll have to go listen to that one again! It could be that listening to the audio only, the flash of lightning part was completely missed. Sounds like a chill-inducing moment indeed!

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    I completely agree with you about 3/3/03. I have been saying this for years now that it is far and away the best performance of Release EVER! I have heard most of the boots over the years and time and time again I can't get this version out of my head.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    That is a great version, good call, and I applaud you for your efforts. I've been listening to Release alot layely as I've found the lyrics have had more meaning to me over the last couple of weeks and I thought I understood the song in 1991.
  • MASMAS Posts: 630
    walkunafraid,
    def listen to that Kansas 03 version again. You can hear the crowd collectively gasp at the sight of the lightning strike. Ed says hi dad like he was in response to his father. FUCKIN SICK!!!
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    BrianM wrote:
    I just listened to Boston 06, that Release was pretty damn good

Boston 04 Release was great, it was special at the time, but I was a little intoxicated, and actually don't recall too too much, but what a great city you have. I wish they released that concert. I suppose I should check PJ boot.org but that site is real confusing but it's quite possible I'm stupid.
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,102
    MAS wrote:
    walkunafraid,
    def listen to that Kansas 03 version again. You can hear the crowd collectively gasp at the sight of the lightning strike. Ed says hi dad like he was in response to his father. FUCKIN SICK!!!
    I'm not a Release whore, though I do love the song, and immediately listened to both versions, and have decided one thing only: they both belong on my library, and are both absolutely phenomenal. :D
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    It would be cool to have a definitive version of each live song. I know comps have been made before but not certain one has been made with all time greatest live versions.

Don't think i would have the time right now, maybe in the future, but if anybody else does would be awesome
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • i thought about you and this particular project a while back. i thought you had given up since i hadnt heard about in in such a long time. TWO YEARS?!!? damn time flies...nice job on getting them all.....im gonna go throw on that japanese boot and see what its all about...
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • i thought about you and this particular project a while back. i thought you had given up since i hadnt heard about in in such a long time. TWO YEARS?!!? damn time flies...nice job on getting them all.....im gonna go throw on that japanese boot and see what its all about...

Thank you. I never did get them ALL, but I was told that there are some live performances for which no live recordings exist, so I settled with 104 out of 121. That reminds me though, I need to find any versions from the last two years now!

• has anyone got a link to share where I can hear Kansas 03' version?

(hope that isnt breaking any rules by asking eeeek if it is... hit delete!!!!)
    Sydney ♥ March 10, 1995
    Sydney ♥ March 11, 1995
    Melbourne ♥ November 20, 2009
    To be continued... March 25, 2011 EV Solo Yeeeeeeeew!
  • Renee33Renee33 Posts: 128
    wow, nice idea for a project. That Japan version is very good - the whole show he is on fire, but the Kansas version left me stunned - that must have been incredible live. In Osaka the next night, Oceans as the opener kicked ass - next project?? hmmmm. Got me thinkin' about what the best Oceans version might be. ;)
    Dancing in irreverence
  • ItsOK921ItsOK921 Posts: 169
    wow just listened to Kansas '03... goosebumps
  • SOLAT319 wrote:
    Did this for my "obsessed" song which is Tremor Christ. Good to see I'm not alone as far as the obsession part goes. It never occurred to me to start a thread about it. I prolly should have I guess :)

So what was the outcome? TC soldier field does it for me best.
  • boxorbagboxorbag Posts: 246
    Don't have time to listen to your favorite version right now but I will tomorrow. I am wondering where soldier field fell on your list? For me it is my favorite version. Maybe because it was my first PJ concert or maybe the circumstances surrounding the concert. The whole canceling of the concert twice the ticketmaster problems or maybe where I was in my life at the time I don't know but you could play me 100 live versions and I could pick that one out. It started my obsession and was the beginning of the best concert experience I have ever had. I wish I would have saved the news paper from the next day. Front page in large letters PEARL JAMMED!!! With a full picture of soldier field packed. Still get chills remembering it.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Some of you might remember my massive "Release" project that I started nearly two years ago (if not, the thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2906).

So last week I decided that I love the song so damn much that I wanted to play all 104 live versions that I own non-stop until I had heard them all. At the same time, I wanted to see if I could find one definitive live version of the song that stood out among all the others.

About this time last week I set about doing so. I made a playlist on my iPod with only "Release" live versions on it. I then set my iPod to random and let it play. I listened in my car on my way to/from work; I listened while running and working out; I listened at home; essentially, every time I listened to my iPod "Release" was all i listened to for about a week straight.

I finally wrapped up the project this morning. I never got bored, and it was pretty cool to hear the song from so many different years and cities.

In the end, I came up with one version of the song that I felt was superior to all others. I can't quite pinpoint the reason why -- the crowd participation/reaction is not anywhere close to what it is for some of the others (which is usually a very important factor for me). It's not from a show that I, or anyone I know, attended. However, it is sung so powerfully, with such intensity in Ed's voice, that it just reaches out and grabs me and doesn't let go. When this version came up on my iPod this weekend, I ended up listening to it 4 times in a row just because it is so captivating. It's like being in a room without windows with just Ed standing in front of you belting out the song, not noticing you are even there. It's beautiful.

It is Tokyo, Japan, 3/3/03. If you don't have it already, it is here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ATW16TBA.

I just listened to this because you pointed it out. I think you have certainly found a good one!!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,970
    TWO YEARS?!!? damn time flies...

I remember that too. Yep, pretty obsessed....but thanks for the link. I'm looking forward to checking out your "winner."

I doubt anyone will ever get this way over any Backspacer songs because.....oh, wait....never mind. ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • has anyone got a link to share where I can hear Kansas 03' version?

(hope that isnt breaking any rules by asking eeeek if it is... hit delete!!!!)

Just listened to Kansas '03 again...makes such a huge difference knowing the context of the song. The "hi Dad" comment is definitely a goosebumps moment. Still wouldn't rank it as high as Tokyo 03, but it's certainly WAY up there.

songforholly: Here is a link to the track: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QBJ8F0U0

Unfortunately, it's only a 64 kbps copy. I have no idea where I got that from, but I know somebody has to have a better quality copy. Is anyone willing to share?

• PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 787
    one of my favorites as well. The crowd is so silent that it almost feels like a studio version, but much better.

The sound on that boot is one of the best I have heard, especially on Release
  • boxorbag wrote:
    Don't have time to listen to your favorite version right now but I will tomorrow. I am wondering where soldier field fell on your list? For me it is my favorite version. Maybe because it was my first PJ concert or maybe the circumstances surrounding the concert. The whole canceling of the concert twice the ticketmaster problems or maybe where I was in my life at the time I don't know but you could play me 100 live versions and I could pick that one out. It started my obsession and was the beginning of the best concert experience I have ever had. I wish I would have saved the news paper from the next day. Front page in large letters PEARL JAMMED!!! With a full picture of soldier field packed. Still get chills remembering it.

Yeah, that one was definitely way up on the list. I didn't really "rank" them except #1, but I definitely remember Soldier Field being a standout! Nice way to start your PJ concert experience. :D

• imalive wrote:
    TWO YEARS?!!? damn time flies...

I remember that too. Yep, pretty obsessed....but thanks for the link. I'm looking forward to checking out your "winner."

I doubt anyone will ever get this way over any Backspacer songs because.....oh, wait....never mind. ;)

I have already started a similar project with "Johnny Guitar." :lol:

MAS wrote:
    walkunafraid,

*goes to that bootleg site to find this particular version*

#standingman #duranadam
  • walkunafraid ... thank you♥
    *edit to add WOW...beautiful!
    Sydney ♥ March 10, 1995
    Sydney ♥ March 11, 1995
    Melbourne ♥ November 20, 2009
    To be continued... March 25, 2011 EV Solo Yeeeeeeeew!
  • andrewbandrewb Posts: 488
    Check out 11/16/93

Old recording but you can still tell how good it was and is
    PJ
    6/03/06 6/24/08 6/25/08 6/28/08 8/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 3/13/10 5/15/10 5/18/10 5/20/10 5/21/10 9/3/11 9/4/11 9/2/12 10/18/13 10/19/13 10/25/13 10/22/14 9/26/15 5/1/16 5/2/16 8/5/16 8/7/16 8/20/16 4/7/17

Ed Ved
    8/5/08 6/12/09 6/21/11 6/22/11

Brad
    5/23/12

Soundgarden
    7/9/11 1/23/13 8/1/14

RNDM
    3/7/16