The Day Unthought Known..

edited November 2009 in The Porch
Becomes the next single off of Backspacer, it will go platinum!

Anyone agree?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100

Anyone agree?

YES!
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    Most definately. Just downloaded it as my ring tone the other day.
    If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
  • JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    Most definately. Just downloaded it as my ring tone the other day.
    If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
  • I have a friend who's not a big PJ fan but when he heard them play Unthought Known at ACL he was blown away. He bought Backspacer the next day.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Unthought Known is a very average song, so I could definitely see it having mainstream success.
  • Becomes the next single off of Backspacer, it will go platinum!

Anyone agree?

I sure don't agree. Nowadays, even a Led Zeppelin reunion single would be lucky to sell 500,000 copies.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • CardinalCardinal Posts: 479
    DewieCox wrote:
    Unthought Known is a very average song, so I could definitely see it having mainstream success.
    Wow are you ever lost....like completely lost...almost not to be found...but that could be a good thing.
    Eddie Vedder Solo Tour Toronto Aug 9, 2008
    Eddie Vedder Solo Tour Albany NY June 9, 2009
    Pearl Jam Toronto Aug 21, 2009
    Pearl Jam Chicago Aug 23, 2009
    Pearl Jam Chicago Aug 24, 2009
    Pearl Jam Buffalo May 10, 2010
    Pearl Jam New York MSG1 May 20, 2010
    Pearl Jam New York MSG2 May 21, 2010
    Go Cards Go!
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I don't think pj will have an album go platinum ever again and i'm okay with that. I sure don't think unthought known will propel them back into the masses minds.

Just breathe is probably the best chance they got for a single catching fire in my opinion
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,278

Anyone agree?

got some is the next single
    danny d

Anyone agree?

so youre liking the album a little more now?
    Cardinal wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    Wow are you ever lost....like completely lost...almost not to be found...but that could be a good thing.

Not really. The lyrics are like something that would be found in an Incubus song and musically it's the most repetitive thing they've ever done, and that's not taking into account that it's pretty similar to LBC.
  • CardinalCardinal Posts: 479
    DewieCox wrote:
    Cardinal wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

Not really. The lyrics are like something that would be found in an Incubus song and musically it's the most repetitive thing they've ever done, and that's not taking into account that it's pretty similar to LBC.
    See told yall .........Lost......100%
    Eddie Vedder Solo Tour Toronto Aug 9, 2008
    Eddie Vedder Solo Tour Albany NY June 9, 2009
    Pearl Jam Toronto Aug 21, 2009
    Pearl Jam Chicago Aug 23, 2009
    Pearl Jam Chicago Aug 24, 2009
    Pearl Jam Buffalo May 10, 2010
    Pearl Jam New York MSG1 May 20, 2010
    Pearl Jam New York MSG2 May 21, 2010
    Go Cards Go!
  • nooramnooram Posts: 390
    I thought Unthought Known kicked Amongst the Waves butt on ACL
    Seattle 8/91, MPLS 3/92, St Paul 8/92, Denver 6/95, Missoula 6/98, MPLS 6/98, Albuquerque 10/00, Seattle 12/02, St Paul 6/03, Thunder Bay 9/05, DC 5/06, St Paul x2 6/06, Vancouver (EV) 4/08, DC 6/08, Chicago x2 8/09, KC 5/10, MPLS (EV) 7/11, Chicago 7/13, St Paul 10/14, Santiago 11/15, Missoula 8/18, Denver 9/22, Saint Paul 8/23, Saint Paul 9/23
  • intodeep wrote:
    I don't think pj will have an album go platinum ever again and i'm okay with that. I sure don't think unthought known will propel them back into the masses minds.

Just breathe is probably the best chance they got for a single catching fire in my opinion

I agree completely. I don't think Unthought Known will do anything special on the air waves. I absolutely love the song. It slaps me right in the face and really moves me but lets face it, its a somewhat deep song. It touches deep down where 90% of people don't ever get out of music so I think only a rare group will understand and love the song. That group would be Pearl Jam fans.

Most people are about as deep as a puddle and wouldn't even understand the song. The song will be huge in 20 years though when so many of PJ's song are understood not only by just us, but everyone!
  • Most definitely the best song IN THE FREAKIN' HISTORY OF MUSIC!
  • not a big fan of it myself.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • DewieCox wrote:

100% correct. I don't get it, there's nothing special about this song.
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    DewieCox wrote:

the novelty wore off for me. LOVED it when it first came out, but didn't stand up against the test of time.
  • I can't believe PJ fans differ in opinon? Ha ha. It's funny how a song can mean so much to some and very little to other's, who must have some songs they agree on. As fans of this band I mean, we all have our fave songs, but sometimes such different opinions on what is 'THE PJ song.' Whether it's of all time, on each album, b-side and so on and so on. I had a similar debate with people in 2000 over Sleight of Hand. Some people LOVED it, I thought it was nothing special. Opinions are a very personal thing and probably should be kept to themselves. Look at what happened to that Vito dude when he voiced his distaste for the new songs. That got out of control. But there's just something about us that makes us want to talk about all things PJ. I guess as long as we can all agree to disagree. On some subjects anyway, one I'm sure we ALL agree on, Pearl Jam are the greatest rock and roll band of all time!!!!
    Bring it on!
  • I can't believe PJ fans differ in opinon? Ha ha. It's funny how a song can mean so much to some and very little to other's, who must have some songs they agree on. As fans of this band I mean, we all have our fave songs, but sometimes such different opinions on what is 'THE PJ song.' Whether it's of all time, on each album, b-side and so on and so on. I had a similar debate with people in 2000 over Sleight of Hand. Some people LOVED it, I thought it was nothing special. Opinions are a very personal thing and probably should be kept to themselves. Look at what happened to that Vito dude when he voiced his distaste for the new songs. That got out of control. But there's just something about us that makes us want to talk about all things PJ. I guess as long as we can all agree to disagree. On some subjects anyway, one I'm sure we ALL agree on, Pearl Jam are the greatest rock and roll band of all time!!!!
    Bring it on!

Then why the hell are we here? :P
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • definitely wouldnt be a hit on radio. takes too long to take off, and doesnt really sound anything like other radio music. but who cares anyway?
  • wow. cant believe some opinions here...personally, i love unthought known and think it's a brilliant song.
  • It's been my favorite since I first heard it.

I love the way it builds. The words are amazing. The music, even better.
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Most definitely the best song IN THE FREAKIN' HISTORY OF MUSIC!

+1 (with the exception of in my tree, i got id and immortality ;) )
  • Then why the hell are we here?

That's why I said probably should be kept to ourselves. I know this is a forum for all forms of talk and that disagreement's are bound to arise. I just find it funny, some of the people amuse me, and that's all I was trying to say.

Anyone agree?

so youre liking the album a little more now?

Well it's the best song on the album (aside of Got Some) and it by far has the most mainstream appeal.

I'm still not a huge fan of the record (I love the speed of sound demo, but the album version is terrible) but I like 3 or 4 songs now instead of just Got Some. Guess it just takes time.

Although some songs will never come around (Supersonic, Gonna See My Friend, Johnny Guitar) the rest of the album is decent.

Still like Riot Act better! ;)
  • love love love Unthought Known...don't know about it being a 'hit' on the radio...don't really care! as long as i 'got some' pj CDs to listen to, i'm good! the radio sucks!
    No time to be void or save up on life...you've got to spend it all.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    DewieCox wrote:
    Cardinal wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

but it's far superior to lbc. it's everything lbc tried to be and failed, imho. hell, ed tried it again with gone and again failed. this si the first time they pulled it off.

that said, it's not a single. there's no chorus. amongst the waves or force of nature would be better.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    DewieCox wrote:

the novelty wore off for me. LOVED it when it first came out, but didn't stand up against the test of time.

oddly, i didnt care for it at all when it first came out, but it grew on me with time. amongst the waves i loved at first, but now have cooled towards, though i still like it.
    DewieCox wrote:
    Cardinal wrote:

but it's far superior to lbc. it's everything lbc tried to be and failed, imho. hell, ed tried it again with gone and again failed. this si the first time they pulled it off.

I don't see how. It's pretty well the same music, except LBC has more parts to it.

Unthought Known is the worst of the 3. Along with the rest of BS, it's weak lyrically and musically it just doesn't go anywhere.