John Mayer wishes he'd wrote 'Black'

2»

Comments

• i like john mayer.
    a lot actually.
    i think he is a bad-ass guitarist, and wow...i actually do like his voice. yes, some of his lyrics are cheesy, but also look how damn young he was when he wrote some of it. other lyrics are really good. overall, i enjoy his work. his where the light is CD is really good!

and hey, there are plenty of artists i do not like. at all. but for whatever reason, i have no desire to wish them dead, or tell the world how horrible i think they are etc, etc. such as all the creed/good charlotte and whatever other bands people here love to hate. i don't get it. life's too short to focus on what i dislike...i rather talk about all i loooovvvvvvveeeee. mmmmm.....pearl jam. :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• i'm pipping in here too to say i like him.

i only own the try cd thou. i agree his poppy lyrics i just can't get into. rather hear him play the blues. this jeniferA breakup may have been a good thing for his lyrics.......we'll see.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,310
    Well hell I wish I had written "Black" hahahahahahaha. Along with Lukin, Porch, Rearviewmirror..........
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • andrewbandrewb Posts: 488
    He has less soul than a toilet bowl
    PJ
    6/03/06 6/24/08 6/25/08 6/28/08 8/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 3/13/10 5/15/10 5/18/10 5/20/10 5/21/10 9/3/11 9/4/11 9/2/12 10/18/13 10/19/13 10/25/13 10/22/14 9/26/15 5/1/16 5/2/16 8/5/16 8/7/16 8/20/16 4/7/17

Ed Ved
    8/5/08 6/12/09 6/21/11 6/22/11

Brad
    5/23/12

Soundgarden
    7/9/11 1/23/13 8/1/14

RNDM
    3/7/16
  • I'm actually really shocked at all the John Mayer bashing going on here. I think he's one of the most talented guitarists in popular music today, AND I love his songs. Have any of you heard the John Mayer Trio live disc that came out a few years ago? It's freaking great.

Mayer's is a big fan of PJ's earlier work but doesn't seem to hold the later stuff in such high esteem. (I don't really know for sure, though.) I used to work in a bar where he was a semi-regular. This was a couple of years ago. One memory that sticks out in my mind was one night when he was in and it was pretty late. There weren't many people in the bar, and Mayer was holding court with four or five customers in the back. He was discussing his early music loves, and mentioned Ten. Said that he used to listen to it over and over again in his bedroom, where he'd sing and air-guitar along to Porch and then stage-dive onto his bed. He then continued with a quick acapella rendition of Porch complete with air guitar (while standing on one of our sofas). A few customers joined in. (I have to say, I was impressed at how many knew the lyrics to Porch, something I consider to be a rather obscure PJ song among non die-hards.)

Say what you will about Mayer's music, but he's a music-lover just like the rest of us, and not so many years ago he was just a regular guy in Atlanta trying to make it in music just like everyone else. (You should look up his old writing partner Clay Cook. A fucking genius.)
  • I think the bashing has nothing to do with his playing. Because nobody can say he’s a bad guitar player. I think it’s because people think he’s a pretty boy that has too many sappy lyrics.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Because nobody can say he’s a bad guitar player

he is a bad guitar player
  • I think it’s because people think he’s a pretty boy that has too many sappy lyrics.

He is.
  • John Mayer wishes he wrote "Sweet Lew."

arq wrote:
    John Mayer wishes he'd wrote 'evacuation'

John Mayer wishes he'd wrote "Bee Girl"
  • Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    Dark Star wrote:
    John Mayer wishes he wrote "Sweet Lew."

arq wrote:
    John Mayer wishes he'd wrote 'evacuation'

John Mayer wishes he'd wrote "Bee Girl"

Ha....you slayed me with that one!
    And I cant imagine an artist who wouldn't want to be associated with a perennial classic as Black..
    Maybe I'll go back and read the article...
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
  • Paul-JamPaul-Jam Posts: 136
    Say what you will about the guy but he can play a mean guitar and has a pretty decent voice plus, he is a funny son of a bitch!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKrrHe3Fkt4 He seems to have a good sense of humor. I was just re-reading this post and perhaps I like Mr. Mayer a little too much, not that there is anything wrong with that :oops: , I gotta cool my Mayer jets...DAMN!! :lol:
    2006  July-6               Las Vegas
    2006  July-18             San Francisco 3
    2009  October-6         Los Angeles 3
    2013  November-21   San Diego
    2013  November-26   Oakland
    2014  October-22       Denver
    2016  August-5           Fenway 1
    2016  August-7           Fenway 2
    2016  November-11    Temple of The Dog- San Francisco 1
    2018  August-18         Wrigley 1
    2018  August-20         Wrigley 2
    2018  September-4     Boston 2
    2022  May-18              Sacramento...fuck covid
  • Paul-Jam wrote:
    Say what you will about the guy but he can play a mean guitar and has a pretty decent voice plus, he is a funny son of a bitch!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKrrHe3Fkt4 He seems to have a good sense of humor. I was just re-reading this post and perhaps I like Mr. Mayer a little too much, not that there is anything wrong with that :oops: , I gotta cool my Mayer jets...DAMN!! :lol:

here's what i think of john mayer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOdpX6dcrU4
  • are you guys saying what you need to say?
    That I no longer give a fuck
    Who is wrong and who’s right
  • JOHN MAYER.....ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!
    Everything has chains, absolutely nothing's changed...
  • I thought he wished he WAS black.

:lol:

I kind of like Continuum. Don't have any of his other stuff; I haven't heard anything appealing. I thought he did a great job on Bold As Love. However, if he covered Black, I might throw up.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • sagapo1sagapo1 Posts: 186
    pjny12289 wrote:
    When he covers a song, it dies.
    He covered Jimi on his last album, and did crossroads and I'm on fire by bruce on his latest. I really dislike him.

Completely agree. I personally can't stand him. Yeah, he's pretty good on guitar, but his vocals are absolutely awful and I think his songwriting is even worse. Imagining him cover Black makes me puke a little...

You're funny.
    The other day, my nine year old son said... "raise your hand if you hate John Mayer" (with his arm in the air.)
    He saw some commercial and said.... "Mom, his voice stinks."
    I felt proud.
    "Cynics are simply disappointed idealists" - George Carlin
    Everybody winds up kissing the wrong person goodnight. - Andy Warhol

• Eric Clapton seems to see something in the guy. But I think if you asked Clapton to be completely honest about the guy's singing voice he would probably agree with most of us. It reeks of Dave Matthews and pop influences. Clapton should tape his mouth shut and force him to play in his back-up band. :lol:
    Deer Creek, Noblesville, IN 08/17/1998
    Deer Creek, Noblesville, IN 08/18/2000
    Verizon Wireless Music Center, Noblesville, IN 06/22/2003
    Verizon Wireless Music Center, Noblesville, IN 05/07/2010
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    John was real into TEN, VS and Vitalogy. I know because I went to high school with him and was one of about 5 people who drove him around (he took forever to get his license) and we'd play those albums until we burned them out.

A few years ago I got a late night text from him that said something like, "How awesome is No Code?" We had been talking about it a few weeks earlier and I guess he was listening to it late night.

He definitely likes a lot of PJ stuff but I don't think he'd know most of the recent tunes.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• I don't wish he sang it.
    San Diego 10/25/00
    Irvine 6/03/03
    Los Angeles 7/9/06
    Los Angeles 7/10/06
    Los Angeles 7/12/08 (VH1 Rock Honors the Who)
    Los Angeles 10/01/09
    Los Angeles 4/12/08 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 10/06/09
    MSG 5/20/10
    San Diego 7/5/11 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 11/23/13
    Los Angeles 11/24/13
    Sao Paulo, Brazil 11/14/15
    Ohana Encore 10/01/21
    San Diego 5/03/22
    Los Angeles 5/21/24
    Los Angeles 5/22/24
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    sagapo1 wrote:

You're funny.
    The other day, my nine year old son said... "raise your hand if you hate John Mayer" (with his arm in the air.)
    He saw some commercial and said.... "Mom, his voice stinks."
    I felt proud.

That's one 'INTELLIGENT' 9 Year Old...lol ;)
  • MASMAS Posts: 630
    Black could possibly be one of the top 10 greatest rock songs of all time, therefore I'm sure alot of other people wish they had come up with it as well....as far as John Mayer, I don't care for his music, but I do respect his guitar playing....