John Mayer wishes he'd wrote 'Black'

samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
edited December 2009 in The Porch
John Mayer says if he could go back to the future, he'd steal music and re-introduce it (and mentions PJ):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr9F8Uk3iGo
Snippet is at 2:14-ish

Here's the quote: "I would rip off the best music I could possibly...I would have introduced Pearl Jam's 'Black' into the '70s"
"Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
~not a dude~
2010: MSGx2
2012: Made In America
2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
2015: Global Citizen Festival
2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• andrewbandrewb Posts: 488
    When he covers a song, it dies.
    He covered Jimi on his last album, and did crossroads and I'm on fire by bruce on his latest. I really dislike him.
    PJ
    6/03/06 6/24/08 6/25/08 6/28/08 8/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 3/13/10 5/15/10 5/18/10 5/20/10 5/21/10 9/3/11 9/4/11 9/2/12 10/18/13 10/19/13 10/25/13 10/22/14 9/26/15 5/1/16 5/2/16 8/5/16 8/7/16 8/20/16 4/7/17

Ed Ved
    8/5/08 6/12/09 6/21/11 6/22/11

Brad
    5/23/12

Soundgarden
    7/9/11 1/23/13 8/1/14

RNDM
    3/7/16
  • he's a skilled player

but has the passion of an oscillating fan...
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • I thought he wished he WAS black.
  • he's a skilled player

i think you hit the nail on the head with the one. im gonna use that qoute next time he comes up in a conversation.
  • saveyou22 wrote:
    he's a skilled player

i think you hit the nail on the head with the one. im gonna use that qoute next time he comes up in a conversation.

yeah i agree, i recognize his talent but i don't really like his music
  • pjny12289 wrote:
    When he covers a song, it dies.
    He covered Jimi on his last album, and did crossroads and I'm on fire by bruce on his latest. I really dislike him.

Completely agree. I personally can't stand him. Yeah, he's pretty good on guitar, but his vocals are absolutely awful and I think his songwriting is even worse. Imagining him cover Black makes me puke a little...
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Ridiculously good guitar player/musician...but for the most part I cannot stand his singing or song writing.

Either way, I know he's a big PJ fan so that's always good stuff!
  • pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    John Mayer wishes he wrote "Sweet Lew."
  • Mr DerpMr Derp Posts: 319
    pretext wrote:
    John Mayer wishes he wrote "Sweet Lew."

:lol::lol:
  • arqarq Posts: 8,012
    John Mayer wishes he'd wrote 'evacuation'
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • god... i hate john mayer.
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • The point that has not been touched upon yet is.....................WHAT WHERE YOU DOING WATCHING A JOHN MAYER INTERVIEW THAT LONG INTO IT?

I would rather watch a Miley Cyrus interview where she tells the inspiration behind the lyrics "Noddin’ my head like yeah, Moving my hips like yeah".

and i'd rather have my finger nails pulled out with a pair of pliers than watch that interview.
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    The point that has not been touched upon yet is.....................WHAT WHERE YOU DOING WATCHING A JOHN MAYER INTERVIEW THAT LONG INTO IT?

I would rather watch a Miley Cyrus interview where she tells the inspiration behind the lyrics "Noddin’ my head like yeah, Moving my hips like yeah".

and i'd rather have my finger nails pulled out with a pair of pliars then watch that interview.
    Friend sent me the link, said 'John mentioned your Pearl Jam'...
    ...she saw the taping of John Mayer on the Alexa Chung show on MTV last week... obsessed with both...
    I'll admit that I'm a John Mayer fan- like many of you, I feel his guitar work is better than his lyrics- but I'm still a fan!
    ...but that Alexa girl- annoys the crap outta me!
    ~not a dude~
  • I would rather watch a Miley Cyrus interview where she tells the inspiration behind the lyrics "Noddin’ my head like yeah, Moving my hips like yeah".

She didn't even write that. The Soup showed an interview where she admitted she's never heard a Jay-Z song.

This is not the point of the thread, however. Continue your Mayer-bashing. Your bodies are wonderlands.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,102
    John Mayer's song-writing to me feels like generic pop music, and feels very impersonal and uninspired. His guitar playing, however, I am in awe of. The fact that he even attempts to bring blues into the mainstream, though it's much more 'pop with hints of blues' than the other way around, is commendable when he's surrounded by a sea of pop musicians doing nothing but pop. Also, I entirely disagree about John Mayer being a 'cover killer'. There's a version of him doing Old Love that is absolutely brilliant in my opinion, for example.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    edited November 2009
    benjs wrote:
    Also, I entirely disagree about John Mayer being a 'cover killer'. There's a version of him doing Old Love that is absolutely brilliant in my opinion, for example.

Agreed! His cover of Free Fallin' I really enjoy as well (listen to it from his Where The Light Is Live In LA CD- he nails it)
    Actually, I agree completely with everything you posted!
    Post edited by samjam on
    ~not a dude~
  • doomponydoompony Posts: 4,497
    And I wish that John Mayer would fall off the Earth, but we can't always get what we want now can we Johnny boy?
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    mca47 wrote:
    Ridiculously good guitar player/musician...but for the most part I cannot stand his singing or song writing.

Either way, I know he's a big PJ fan so that's always good stuff!
    Yeah, I feel the same exact way about him. Love watching him play guitar, but not into his style of music or his throaty signing style.
  • DocChicago wrote:

She didn't even write that. The Soup showed an interview where she admitted she's never heard a Jay-Z song.

This is not the point of the thread, however. Continue your Mayer-bashing. Your bodies are wonderlands.

i was being sarcastic. i would guess she's actually never wrote a song in her life.
  • ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    DocChicago wrote:

I was just thinking exactly the same thing... LOVE Joel McHale :D
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • yeah he's a great guitar player and i love watching him jam with people at guitar festivals or play solos but overall his pop songwriting and shit is terrible.
  • i thought i read somewhere that mayer doesnt write his own lyrics... maybe not even all his own music... correct me if im mistaken

fine guitarist... could be GREAT with the right discipline and passion... cant say i blame him for focusing on jennifer aniston instead 8-)

havent heard all the new album but my roommate was listening to it the other day and from what i heard its more garbage mini van soccer mom music
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,102
    i thought i read somewhere that mayer doesnt write his own lyrics... maybe not even all his own music... correct me if im mistaken

fine guitarist... could be GREAT with the right discipline and passion... cant say i blame him for focusing on jennifer aniston instead 8-)

havent heard all the new album but my roommate was listening to it the other day and from what i heard its more garbage mini van soccer mom music
    Agreed. Continuum gave me hope he would progress further in the blues direction, but Battle Studies reminds me of the stuff on soft rock stations that I would immediately switch from. I hope he gets together with his Trio for the next album - they consistently produce good results it seems.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • john mayer blows.
  • I don't even think he's that talented. He's a fucking wanker. Go into any Guitar Center on a Saturday afternoon and you'll hear equally skilled guitar players.

Most of his songs are drippy, soft R&B love ballads with very little guitar playing anyway.
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Posts: 1,030
    Black is such a great song i will declare that every musician that has existed wished they wrote it.
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14 Budapest 22 Krakow 22 Amsterdam 22 St Paul 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 24 New York 1 24 Philly 1&2 24 Boston 1&2 24 Gold Coast 24 Melbourne 1 24 Sydney 1&2 24
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    I think also he wishes he could sing! haha
  • John Mayer wishes he'd wrote Dirty Frank.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    he was funny on the chappelle show
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • theboxerorthebagtheboxerorthebag Posts: 1,774
    edited November 2009
    that is true. I have to agree with many before me on this post that he is a skilled guitar player but would prefer not to here him sing. He should be in a band where he plays guitar only.
    LukinFan wrote:
    he was funny on the chappelle show
    Post edited by theboxerorthebag on