Please help me pay off school loans

5against1-5against1- Posts: 1,101
edited November 2009 in The Porch
I will get hounded for this but I dont care.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pearl-Jam-Eddie-Ved ... 27ad3d3488

Thanks
This too shall pass.....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    Unless you took some kind of an arts degree at school, the easiest way to pay off school loans is to get a job. If you went to school for that arts degree the easiest way to pay off school loans is to resort to drug-dealing, prostitution or flipping PJ posters. Good luck -- it looks like that poster might fetch a loan payment.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    That's ^^^ a strange thing to say! Even people with art degrees can get a job! :roll:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,049
    I owe about $200,000 in student loans. :cry: Maybe we can start some sort of a fund. We can ask for $0.25 for every post someone from the Pearl Jam community writes. Who wants to sign up?!
  • Songburst wrote:
    If you went to school for that arts degree the easiest way to pay off school loans is to resort to drug-dealing, prostitution or flipping PJ posters.

This is one of the most ignorant things I have ever heard around here ... :roll:
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,359
    Songburst wrote:
    If you went to school for that arts degree the easiest way to pay off school loans is to resort to drug-dealing, prostitution or flipping PJ posters.

This is one of the most ignorant things I have ever heard around here ... :roll:

Really? And I thought you were here a lot.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • 5against1-5against1- Posts: 1,101
    Haha no its a science degree
    This too shall pass.....
    Songburst wrote:

Lol. I didn't mean to offend the prostitutes or drug-dealers in the crowd. Sorry.
    Whats so ignorant about that Id say an art degree was a total waste of money
    This too shall pass.....
    5against1- wrote:
    Whats so ignorant about that Id say an art degree was a total waste of money
    Did you really pay for an art degree (ie painting, sculpting, etc) or a General Arts degree? Art is cool but there is a reason why there are phrases like "drunk as a poet on payday".
    My degree was in science not art
    This too shall pass.....
    5against1- wrote:
    My degree was in science not art
    Ah -- too bad -- had a good thread going there for awhile. Managed to offend some people and have a laugh at the same time. What kind of science?
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,685
    no shame.

I went to a State School, had a little help from my parents and Grandparents, and at the age of 31 still owe money in loans.

Look into consolidating to Nelnet. They have been very good, gave me a very good rate and monthly payment. Its a low payment and at that pace I would be 60 before it was paid off.... but it bought me time until the last couple years, when I have been more fortunate to throw a few thousand into the loan at a time.

or just sell posters :twisted:
  • Songburst wrote:
    Songburst wrote:

Lol. I didn't mean to offend the prostitutes or drug-dealers in the crowd. Sorry.

no offense here, Im neither a prostitute nor drug dealer, I'm not an art major either I'm an accountant.
    Just gave my opinion on your post, that's all.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Art is valuable whether or not money is earned from it. Which is not to say that people who study art can not earn money!!!!!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,535
    I remember how daunting my 27k in student loans seemed after graduation (I can only imagine how big they might be in the US where post-secondary isn't subsized as much as in Canada).

I had a BA in Econ.. Couldn't find work after I gradded in the fall of '04. Relocated myself about 1.5 years later.

Got a job and paid off that student loan in about 3 years :)

and it felt fantastic :)
  • deskilladeskilla Posts: 279
    aahhh good old days... where i was barely having $20 paying off that loan...
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    hey! i have an arts degree! a masters none-the-less...
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • well if we're giving out money...

I got a B.A. in media and gender theory, and am about 80k in the hole. currently in grad school.

thanks!

:lol:
    dream the dreams of other men...you will be no one's rival
    Songburst wrote:

no offense here, Im neither a prostitute nor drug dealer, I'm not an art major either I'm an accountant.
    Ah an accountant. Now I see why my petty Saturday night jokes flew above your head - lol. Notice I didn't mention that I didn't mean to offend poster-flippers? Ah, never mind ... Accounting is a tough job to do well. It was my second choice if my engineering gig fell through.

As a rule employed engineers are required to take potshots at unemployed B.A. grads every 6-9 months because while all of the BA majors were having fun bar-hopping every night, attending a max of 18 hours a week in-class, us engineers were required to attend no less than 34 hours in-class per week with about double that in homework required just to scrape by and our BA friends never let us hear the end of it.
    Gmoney wrote:
    hey! i have an arts degree! a masters none-the-less...
    Are you working in your field or are you a teacher?
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,103
    Songburst wrote:
    Songburst wrote:

Ah an accountant. Now I see why my petty Saturday night jokes flew above your head - lol. Notice I didn't mention that I didn't mean to offend poster-flippers? Ah, never mind ... Accounting is a tough job to do well. It was my second choice if my engineering gig fell through.

As a rule employed engineers are required to take potshots at unemployed B.A. grads every 6-9 months because while all of the BA majors were having fun bar-hopping every night, attending a max of 18 hours a week in-class, us engineers were required to attend no less than 34 hours in-class per week with about double that in homework required just to scrape by and our BA friends never let us hear the end of it.
    As an engineering student living with a sciences student, a social sciences student, and an economics student - I can confirm the point about the in-school workload. There are exceptions to the rule, of course, but that's the general trend. The girl I live with in social sciences barely leaves the house. It's weird. I see you're from Thunder Bay... I'm at McMaster University, where'd you go?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    My wife has about $30K,in student loans and now she is a stay at home mom. I am paying for her education and she isn't even using it. We agreed that after the kids start school she will work full time. I thought about just not paying them but because we are married, they would just come after me anyways. It's a no win situation.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
    edited November 2009
    benjs wrote:
    As an engineering student living with a sciences student, a social sciences student, and an economics student - I can confirm the point about the in-school workload. There are exceptions to the rule, of course, but that's the general trend. The girl I live with in social sciences barely leaves the house. It's weird. I see you're from Thunder Bay... I'm at McMaster University, where'd you go?
    I got a 3yr tech. degree in Controls from my local college (Confederation), did an intensive summer transition course at Lakehead to catch up on the math, chemistry, mechanics, and thermodynamics requirements and did 2 years of university at Lakehead to get my BEng in electrical engineering. Being a college transition student, my in-class hours were about 3-5 hours per semester higher due to overloading than someone who went straight through university. Everything I use at work I learned in college. University taught me how to better manage my time and how to prioritze tasks because there is no way that you can do everything that is thrown at you but university taught me very little about what real-world engineering really is. (it is apparently sitting at work on a Sunday morning trying to program a machine and chatting on message boards)
    Post edited by Songburst on
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Fuckin whiners, no one forced the student loans on you, oh well guess thats the younger generation.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Fuckin whiners, no one forced the student loans on you, oh well guess thats the younger generation.
    Out of pocket education costs are way way way higher in the states than they are in Canada FYI. Even in Canada, large student loans are not uncommon unless daddy pays for it. I worked my way through university and still managed to accumulate $10k in student loans somehow.
  • lukin2006 wrote:

I didnt have the luxury of a dad that could pay for my education, not everyone is that lucky, ya know? :?
  • IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    lukin2006 wrote:

I didnt have the luxury of a dad that could pay for my education, not everyone is that lucky, ya know? :?

Same here.

i owe a lot in Student loans... it started last August and both hubby and i are currently unemployed.

it became too hard so i contacted them and asked for a deferral until one of us got a job.

not a great plan because of the accumulated interest... so 'cheaper' for me to pay the interest for the time it's being put off until early next year.

There are also other options to look into, like others say with different banks with lower rate or ask for other options like modifications due to financial hardship to lower your payments.

And i want to go back - already missing school. :P

Of course I'd get a job first and pay that off first.
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • IamMine wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Same here.

i owe a lot in Student loans... it started last August and both hubby and i are currently unemployed.

it became too hard so i contacted them and asked for a deferral until one of us got a job.

not a great plan because of the accumulated interest... so 'cheaper' for me to pay the interest for the time it's being put off until early next year.

There are also other options to look into, like others say with different banks with lower rate or ask for other options like modifications due to financial hardship to lower your payments.

And i want to go back - already missing school. :P

Of course I'd get a job first and pay that off first.

I hope things get better soon Mel.
  • IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    Thanks, Urs. :) It will....just got to hang in there a bit longer.

Hope that nasty philly bug is gone by now in your family? Looks like it finally caught up with Ed over the weekend.
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • IamMine wrote:
    Thanks, Urs. :) It will....just got to hang in there a bit longer.

Hope that nasty philly bug is gone by now in your family? Looks like it finally caught up with Ed over the weekend.

Yeah thank God its gone, i had bronchitis and Mike had pneumonia :S but we all better now and so are the boys, thanks :)