UK Customs Charge for the Boots ?

BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,297
edited November 2009 in The Porch
Just got a card delivered saying I had an item to pick up but there was a Customs Charge or £12.59 WTF ?

Anybody else had this ? Not happy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Just got a card delivered saying I had an item to pick up but there was a Customs Charge or £12.59 WTF ?

Anybody else had this ? Not happy

How many did you order, I think alot of people ordered individually so as not to get any customs charges.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • ordered 3, didn't realise that is there a value the charge kicks in at ?
  • ordered 3, didn't realise that is there a value the charge kicks in at ?

Hey Colin, I bought 3 together to be delivered in Ireland. Didn't have to pay anything.
    Don't know if your just unlucky or its a British thing.
    BOOOO!!
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,056
    bastard, that means mine will get hammered too.....ordered 3 as presents.....

the annoying thing wityh that is that 3 quid is the VAT element, the other 8 quid belongs to the robbing c*nts at royal mail for their special 'handling fee'. stinks.

Have a thought for the chap here who bought the signed guitar in the auction....ouch
  • ah well jat least I'll have them this afternoon they will be playing shortly :)
  • philthehipphilthehip Posts: 2,084
    As far as Im aware anything upto the value of £17 is not charged. There is no charge for gifts if it states it on the package. Secong hand goods are exemp in most cases, so maybe the fact that the guitar is secong hand and also is a charity item will mean that he gets away with any extra cost.
  • its all up to the post office of your area,,if the notice the price in the envelope u are in trouble..thank God in my post office here they are lazy :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    philthehip wrote:
    As far as Im aware anything upto the value of £17 is not charged. There is no charge for gifts if it states it on the package. Secong hand goods are exemp in most cases, so maybe the fact that the guitar is secong hand and also is a charity item will mean that he gets away with any extra cost.

Oh no, he got hammered for charges that is for sure...

second hand items also attract the tax now, as do gifts - my local office told me they got very wise to that
  • pdalowsky wrote:
    philthehip wrote:

second hand items also attract the tax now, as do gifts - my local office told me they got very wise to that

Did you have to pay when you bought the autographed guitar??
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Nothing wrong with mine, i just ordered one!
  • philthehipphilthehip Posts: 2,084
    pdalowsky wrote:
    philthehip wrote:

Well you learn something new everyday. Thats just legalised robbery. Thanks for the heads up
    pdalowsky wrote:
    philthehip wrote:

No Pat, a flexible seller and a forward thinking buyer is a good combination!!
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,140
    My first package I didn't get any customs charges (ordered 3 CDs at one time), but it could well because the contents were stolen before it hit customs.
    I think they must do a random selection, as I've not had to pay charges on anything (including a new ski jacket, and some really expensive stuff) but my friend got a charm for a charm bracelet and got hammered on the charges.
    So if something is marked as a gift then I take it they are now opening them to see if there is any invoice or receipt. What if someone abroad buys you a gift and gets the company to send it to you (that is what my mate was planning to do for his Xmas pressies as he is in Oz).
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • pdalowsky wrote:
    philthehip wrote:

£290 I got hit for, and that was the guitar declared at a value of $2500, a lot less than I paid for it.
    And 10C had stated on it that it was a gift.
    dottles wrote:
    My first package I didn't get any customs charges (ordered 3 CDs at one time), but it could well because the contents were stolen before it hit customs.
    I think they must do a random selection, as I've not had to pay charges on anything (including a new ski jacket, and some really expensive stuff) but my friend got a charm for a charm bracelet and got hammered on the charges.
    So if something is marked as a gift then I take it they are now opening them to see if there is any invoice or receipt. What if someone abroad buys you a gift and gets the company to send it to you (that is what my mate was planning to do for his Xmas pressies as he is in Oz).

really its a lottery, its best to get the company sending it to mark it very clearly as a gift from a family member, and state the value at something like 10 bucks.....although strictly not true, its true in there is no value as its a gift so i do not see there is anything wrong with doing that.
  • I ordered two and had to pay £11.06 (England)
    I know I was born and I know that'll I die but the inbetween is mine!

Wembley 2000
    Wembley 2007
    Manchester 2009
  • ChrisileinChrisilein Posts: 3,889
    I remember the amount i had to pay for the Ten SDL Edition! I think it was about € 40! Usually there are no customs fees in Austria up to an amount of € 150 but yesterday i received the Pearl Jam Bridges box which i won on ebay for $ 110 including shipping and i had to pay € 20 for import purchases tax!?! :evil:
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • Chrisilein wrote:
    I remember the amount i had to pay for the Ten SDL Edition! I think it was about € 40! Usually there are no customs fees in Austria up to an amount of € 150 but yesterday i received the Pearl Jam Bridges box which i won on ebay for $ 110 including shipping and i had to pay € 20 for import purchases tax!?! :evil:
    dont remind me that..i pay 135 euros extra,,order 2,i pay 270 euros extra..and finnaly..10c refund me both i pay and ups (THIEVES) get all the money :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,297
    edited November 2009
    the bastards closed at 12.15 and i got there at 12.30 so no boots until tomorrow :cry:
  • Oh god... we ordered two hoodies at the same time... :?

I also ordered two t-shirts in one order... :?

We're gonna get charges... it'd be just our luck :(

I guess it depends on whether they declare the sale value of the items or the original value :?:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Oh god... we ordered two hoodies at the same time... :?

I guess it depends on whether they declare the sale value of the items or the original value :?:
    10c knows,,they do the right thing ;)
    Oh god... we ordered two hoodies at the same time... :?

10c knows,,they do the right thing ;)

that depends D, i have been caught a few times.

it depends on hoow they ship, a few times before they sent things via sweden so there were no charges, no things seem to come direct, theres only so much they can do.

the ten reissue was a different matter, they were insured so full value declared, that was a shame, cost me some coin did that
  • pdalowsky wrote:

that depends D, i have been caught a few times.

it depends on hoow they ship, a few times before they sent things via sweden so there were no charges, no things seem to come direct, theres only so much they can do.

the ten reissue was a different matter, they were insured so full value declared, that was a shame, cost me some coin did that
    pm