Options

1990s concert images

FeiracoFeiraco Amsterdam Posts: 255
edited June 2011 in The Porch
Hi all,

I have the Dissident - Live in Atlanta box set (released in Europe) for 15 years now, but I've never seen a glimpse of the famous concert itself (on April 3, 1994).

Besides, I'm looking for images or video material of the November 6, 1996 concert in Amsterdam.

I would be much appreciated if image material would pop up.

Thanks!
Rotterdam 2000 (CANCELLED) | Arnhem 2006 | Rotterdam 2009 | Berlin 2009 | Arras 2010 | Amsterdam-1 2012 | Amsterdam-2 2012 | EV Amsterdam-1 2012 | EV Amsterdam-2 2012 | Amsterdam-1 2014 | Amsterdam-2 2014 | EV Amsterdam-2 2017 | EV Amsterdam-3 2017
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,709
    if you are looking for great photography of the early days check our amy rachlins site....she did some awesome work with the band.....
  • Options
    Thanks for that!
    I knew her photos (http://www.amyrachlin.com/pearljam/pj.html) and it does contain pics of Boston a week after Atlanta 1994. But I'm still surprised there's apparently no video or photo material of that legendary Atlanta show on the web.
    Rotterdam 2000 (CANCELLED) | Arnhem 2006 | Rotterdam 2009 | Berlin 2009 | Arras 2010 | Amsterdam-1 2012 | Amsterdam-2 2012 | EV Amsterdam-1 2012 | EV Amsterdam-2 2012 | Amsterdam-1 2014 | Amsterdam-2 2014 | EV Amsterdam-2 2017 | EV Amsterdam-3 2017
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,076
    Well this was before the mass proliferation of fancy multi-task digital cameras and whatnot and before most people were on the internet. I got some way crappy pix from like 12th row 1998 with a disposable camera, you can't even tell who is playing. So in other words, there might only be a handful of pro or press photos from any show then, and likely not all on the web.
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,881
    rather than listening to that sliced up concert, you should track down the complete, pre-FM version which is widely circulated and available for free online.

this is the FULL setlist:

Release, Rearviewmirror, Whipping, Even Flow, Dissident, Why Go, Deep, Jeremy, Glorified G, Daughter/(ABitW-II), Go, Animal, Garden, State of Love and Trust, Black, Alive, Blood/(Not for You), WMA, Better Man, Elderly Woman, Rats, Satan’s Bed, Once, Sonic Reducer, Porch/(Androgynous Mind), Indifference
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    those A Rachlin photos are something else too...really caught the band in the moment...

her book was a great buy
  • Options
    Those are some of the best PJ pictures I have ever ever ever seen
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    what about that photographer who did Touch me I'm Sick. that had a lot of awesome early pj pics.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    hard to find good pics of the Yield and Binaural tours it seems. After the days of the band being mega huge and before the days of everyone having a digital camera.
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    Grunge, the bastard child of 60s garage and 70s punk, revived the original gritty spirit of rock and roll: rebellion ain't pretty, but it sure is fun. Featuring ninety-two photographs - eighty of them never-before-published - spanning sixteen years, Touch Me I'm Sick
    by ~ Charles Peterson

This high-quality collection includes an introduction by Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder and over 90 photos of the stars before they became household names, plus many who never reached notoriety beyond the Seattle city limits.
    Featuring photographs of Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Sleater-Kinney, Mudhoney, Sonic Youth, L7, Hole, and Black Flag, among others, as well as excerpts from Your Flesh, Flipside, Melody Maker, B-side, Swellsville, and Chemical Imbalance, Touch Me I'm Sick is the perfect mix of art and journalism for music purists and connoisseurs.

http://www.amazon.com/Touch-Me-Sick-Cha ... 1576871916

________

a art show was done near me a few years age with blown up photos from that book.
    IT WAS FRIGGIN AWESOME!

• Options
    SJPJSJPJ Posts: 112
    I knew her photos (http://www.amyrachlin.com/pearljam/pj.html) and it does contain pics of Boston a week after Atlanta 1994. But I'm still surprised there's apparently no video or photo material of that legendary Atlanta show on the web.

I have been wondering this myself for years now! No media pics, mtv video, nothing, ever! Why oh why? I've been shocked for a long time now that nothing exists, but the audio. At least some pics! My brother once told me and he believes this, that that was the band's intent. For us to listen and picture everything in our mind what was going on during that show. To picture the scenery and to listen with headphones. Although, summarized parts of what goes on during that show is available on other concert chronology sites, i think i believe him.

I have the Dissident - Live in Atlanta box set (released in Europe) for 15 years now, but I've never seen a glimpse of the famous concert itself (on April 3, 1994).

Either have I. I don't even know if the pic on the cover of the atlanta cd's of Ed is even from that show.
    I know Pearl Jam isn't about making money but they should release a double cd/dvd of both atlanta shows from '94. They wouldn't be able to keep them in stock. I'm telling you. They know its the greatest concert(4/3/94) ever and so do we. It's time to unleash it. Shall we start a petition?
  • Options
    i like your choice of words. ;) unleash. consitering all the heckling pj got to play leash on that recent tour.
    so move on! time to heckle for these old shows!

• Options
    ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    ceska wrote:
    Well this was before the mass proliferation of fancy multi-task digital cameras and whatnot and before most people were on the internet. I got some way crappy pix from like 12th row 1998 with a disposable camera, you can't even tell who is playing. So in other words, there might only be a handful of pro or press photos from any show then, and likely not all on the web.

Yeah, I took pics at the Canberra show in '95, back when cameras were not allowed at all and I got buckets of water thrown at me every time I took a picture. That '95 tour, I was lucky as I had friends that worked at the Sydney Morning Herald and got access to all the proofs, I ordered a number of shots from the March 10, 1995 Sydney show. Most are back in Australia... not that any of this helps, but I have this one on my wall here ;)

EVmar1095.jpg
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • Options
    Feiraco wrote:
    Hi all,

Besides, I'm looking for images or video material of the November 6, 1996 concert in Amsterdam.

I would be much appreciated if image material would pop up.

Thanks!

well, back in the days, before interent, i would call the Atlanta city library and see about any local articles and/or call the local newspaper. Same for Amsterdam, perhaps you will dig up an old video shot by some local TV camera guy that has yet to see the light of day. If that is the case, PM me, I want a copy!
    1996: Hartford; 1998: Hartford, Mansfield I & II
    2000: Saratoga, Mansfield I & II; 2003: West Palm, Tampa, Mansfield I & II & III; 2004: Boston I & II; 2005: Montreal; 2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I & II, East Rutherford; 2007: Lolla
    2008: Tampa, MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield I & II; 2009: Chicago I & II, Philly I, III & IV; 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford, Boston & MSG II.
  • Options
    Thanks for your thoughts and comments!

I've finally managed to see some pics of the 1996 Amsterdam concert: http://www.pearljamonline.nl/pjlive/13rai/rai.htm

It took place in a dull convention centre, something Vedder referred to this summer when playing in Rotterdam. I'd heard before that the atmosphere had been terrible, but the performance of the band good to very good (depending on the source). Looking at the pics, and knowing the place (I think it hasn't been used since for concerts), it sure lacks atmosphere.

Thanks to the one who scanned his photos.

That leaves the mystery of the 1994 Atlanta concert.
  • Options
    i'll email Amy and see if she has any....

she was the official photographer at the time, and i belive the only one
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I've also wondered about the famous Atlanta show. I've also wondered if there were any photos/videos of the 2 Hartford shows from '96 and '98.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    My brother once told me and he believes this, that that was the band's intent. For us to listen and picture everything in our mind what was going on during that show. To picture the scenery and to listen with headphones.

I think your brother is a pretty smart motherfucker. He knew the secret the whole time!!
  • Options
    My brother once told me and he believes this, that that was the band's intent. For us to listen and picture everything in our mind what was going on during that show. To picture the scenery and to listen with headphones.

It sure is a nice thought, and whether on purpose or not it has been the case to use our imagination. But some years later, the internet started to roll and has been solving puzzles since. Or should we keep the Atlanta mystery as it is? :?
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,517
    Tone wrote:
    ceska wrote:

Yeah, I took pics at the Canberra show in '95, back when cameras were not allowed at all and I got buckets of water thrown at me every time I took a picture. That '95 tour, I was lucky as I had friends that worked at the Sydney Morning Herald and got access to all the proofs, I ordered a number of shots from the March 10, 1995 Sydney show. Most are back in Australia... not that any of this helps, but I have this one on my wall here ;)

EVmar1095.jpg

nice pic.

:)
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,838
    An amazing site that had hundreds & hundreds of sweet '90s pics was www.pearl-jam.com.
  • Options
    ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    100 Pacer wrote:
    Tone wrote:

nice pic.

:D Yeah, I'm rather fond of it. You can bet I'll be bringing back the others (framed the same way but the others are done in 2s) ;)
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • Options
    that's cool you found that about the one concert thou. :)

• Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,517
    Tone wrote:
    100 Pacer wrote:
    Tone wrote:

nice pic.

:D Yeah, I'm rather fond of it. You can bet I'll be bringing back the others (framed the same way but the others are done in 2s) ;)

can't wait to see 'em,...
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    So, how about the Atlanta concerts? Any pics or video footage? I read some time ago that the Fox Theatre is quite important in Atlanta. So, having Pearl Jam at the peak of their career must have been captured on photo or film?
  • Options
    Feiraco wrote:
    Thanks for your thoughts and comments!

I've finally managed to see some pics of the 1996 Amsterdam concert: http://www.pearljamonline.nl/pjlive/13rai/rai.htm

It took place in a dull convention centre, something Vedder referred to this summer when playing in Rotterdam. I'd heard before that the atmosphere had been terrible, but the performance of the band good to very good (depending on the source). Looking at the pics, and knowing the place (I think it hasn't been used since for concerts), it sure lacks atmosphere.

Thanks to the one who scanned his photos.

That leaves the mystery of the 1994 Atlanta concert.
    Sweet! Anybody know where I can find one of these? I'd do anything for a No Code shirt.
    Foto%20PJ%20tour%20shirt%2096.jpg
    Feiraco wrote:
    So, how about the Atlanta concerts? Any pics or video footage? I read some time ago that the Fox Theatre is quite important in Atlanta. So, having Pearl Jam at the peak of their career must have been captured on photo or film?
    I'm hoping we get to see footage in the PJ20 movie...if they have footage or photos.
    pdalowsky wrote:
    i'll email Amy and see if she has any....

she was the official photographer at the time, and i belive the only one
    Nice!
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    ceska wrote:

All the more reason to keep those fancy multi-task digital cameras fully juiced. Viva charging stations!! :lol:
  • Options
    Feiraco wrote:
    You're saying the band peaked at 1994? I don't think they've peaked at all.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Not in a musical sense, but concerning media attention, record sales etc.
    My point is that there must have been photographers.
  • Options
    Feiraco wrote:
    Not in a musical sense, but concerning media attention, record sales etc.
    My point is that there must have been photographers.
    Oh ok. I get what you're saying.
  • Options
    .... Well, there it was! After 26,5 years of mystery, Pearl Jam released some video footage of the Sonic Reducer song played during the famous Atlanta concert:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158798172757485&id=7659317484&m_entstream_source=video_home&player_suborigin=entry_point&player_format=permalink&anchor_composer=false