Why is it that...

samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
edited November 2009 in The Porch
....so few people my age like Pearl Jam?? And on top of that, I'm pretty much the only girl my age who really knows about Pearl Jam (that I know of, at least). The people who I know who do like Pearl Jam only know songs like 'Even Flow' from guitar hero. I say screw guitar hero, pick up a real guitar, then buy a CD, and just listen if you want the most out of your music. Most of my peers these days really don't know what they are missing!
Long live Pearl Jam, and may other young fans have the same indescribable listening experience and feeling I have when I listen to PJ!
"Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
~not a dude~
2010: MSGx2
2012: Made In America
2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
2015: Global Citizen Festival
2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• samjam10 wrote:
    ....so few people my age like Pearl Jam??

honestly because they didn't want them to and they made it happen. i respect them for it.

..............waits for the attack.
  • Im 25 so I guess in most respects I fall into the "Young" crowd of fans. I find it awesome being at shows rockin out with the older folks.. :lol:
    OP how old are you?
    MSG - 6/25/08 EV Solo Tower Theatre - 06/11/09
    Philly 2 - 10/28/09 Philly 3 - 10/30/09
    Philly 4 - 10/31/09
    Boston 1 - 05/17/10
    PruCenter - 05/18/10
    MSG 1 - 05/20/10
    MSG 2 - 05/21/10
    Alpine1 - 09/03/11 Alpine2 - 09/04/11
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    RGarabed21 wrote:
    Im 25 so I guess in most respects I fall into the "Young" crowd of fans. I find it awesome being at shows rockin out with the older folks.. :lol:
    OP how old are you?

i too am 25 and people my age mock my passion for pj. aholes
  • Lucky for me i've met quite a few kids my age (16) recently who are into PJ, and not from 10club from around seattle, so they are definitely out there. Also, my friends little sister who is 12 (i think 12) said the other day that shes getting into pearl jam and wants their new album :) heheh, oh and her mom met eddie vedder (but didn't recognize him LOL)
    i think there aren't as many young fans as old fans because PJ is an old band for us, I wasn't born when Ten came out, thus i missed out on the grunge era, not that pearl jam is grunge anymore haha.
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    I'm 18 and I run into the same thing. Except no one mocks me, all of my friends have at least a certain liking/respect for them.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • i am 19 and i too know how it feels to be in your position. i have a few friends who are fans, but most of them don't appreciate the band as much as i do...i'm doing my best to convert my friends to Pearljamism. (which in case you didn't know is the greatest religion of them all)
    Lucky for me i've met quite a few kids my age (16) recently who are into PJ, and not from 10club from around seattle, so they are definitely out there. Also, my friends little sister who is 12 (i think 12) said the other day that shes getting into pearl jam and wants their new album :) heheh, oh and her mom met eddie vedder (but didn't recognize him LOL)
    i think there aren't as many young fans as old fans because PJ is an old band for us, I wasn't born when Ten came out, thus i missed out on the grunge era, not that pearl jam is grunge anymore haha.

i bet if you hung around easy street records on an idle day when pj isn't touring, you could meet ed too! 8-)
  • Lucky for me i've met quite a few kids my age (16) recently who are into PJ, and not from 10club from around seattle, so they are definitely out there. Also, my friends little sister who is 12 (i think 12) said the other day that shes getting into pearl jam and wants their new album :) heheh, oh and her mom met eddie vedder (but didn't recognize him LOL)

i bet if you hung around easy street records on an idle day when pj isn't touring, you could meet ed too! 8-)

hahaha maybe i do go to easystreet often,
    she met him backstage tho at some concert, its a really funny story actually she was having a long conversation with him and then said "so what do you do for a living" he says "im in a band" she says "whats your band name?" he says "pearl jam" hehehe shes like uhh ive heard of pearl jam LOL. But she said hes really nice and smart.

it would be so awesome to meet ed, my uncle's buddy/bestman at his wedding is actually really close with eddie, but i'd feel weird/annoying asking
    Shows:
    hahaha maybe i do go to easystreet often,
    she met him backstage tho at some concert, its a really funny story actually she was having a long conversation with him and then said "so what do you do for a living" he says "im in a band" she says "whats your band name?" he says "pearl jam" hehehe shes like uhh ive heard of pearl jam LOL. But she said hes really nice and smart.

it would be so awesome to meet ed, my uncle's buddy/bestman at his wedding is actually really close with eddie, but i'd feel weird/annoying asking[/quote]

GREAT STORY...what do you do? I'm in a band...priceless.

• GREAT STORY...what do you do? I'm in a band...priceless.

hehe i know. She said she didn't recognize him cuz he had like a mohawk or something. She'd recognize him now tho, and she lives right next 2 easystreet in w. seattle so who knows maybe shell run into him or something and be like i recognize you now LOL!.
    Shows:
  • Well if you lived near me, I’d blame it on not getting enough radio time. kids listen to the radio. They sure ain’t playing new pj. just their old stuff. I’m 30 and here’s what I hear when I tell somebody I like pj. What? Are they still together? They only had one album.
    I don’t understand it. pj is one of the best known live acts and they’re in rolling stone from time to time, but people think they weren’t a band anymore.
    Maybe it has a little to do with Ed shunning the media all those years ago. He didn’t like them, so they backed away and years later this is what happens, people don’t think they exist.
    It does bug me when I get that reaction, but when I think about I’m glad they weren’t ever a media puppet.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    RGarabed21 wrote:
    Im 25 so I guess in most respects I fall into the "Young" crowd of fans. I find it awesome being at shows rockin out with the older folks.. :lol:
    OP how old are you?

Brez wrote:
    I'm 18 and I run into the same thing. Except no one mocks me, all of my friends have at least a certain liking/respect for them.

Well no one mocks me... most of the responses I get are, "Oh", "Huh?", or "I think I've heard of them. I think 2 of my friends know a few PJ songs, most of which are 'Alive' or 'Black' or the like. I actually have a friend I am in the process of converting-- she heard Ledbetter and loved it (I gave her a big hug!)!!
    ~not a dude~
  • See, on the other hand, my ten-year-old loves PJ. I took him to his first concert last year, when he was nine. He told his soccer teammates about his experience, and as it turned out several of the boys were fans!

My guess is that it depends a lot on what kind of music the kids' parents listen to. I imagine that if my parents had listened to country & western or show tunes instead of rock music, I would not have spent my entire life being a fan of David Bowie and The Who. On the other hand, our family does not watch any kind of reality television, and I can guarantee you that my kids have no idea who any of the American Idol contestants are.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • deskilladeskilla Posts: 279
    where's "li'l filthy tom"??? he's 12 he's rockin' out at the spectrum on 10/31, and yet i thought i was the only one got mocked around because i like PEARL JAM
  • CabbieCabbie Posts: 35
    Im 16 and ive run into the exact same deal. I find though its not just PJ, but the whole 90's that most kids our age are unaware of. Outside of RATM and Nirvana I dont see any t-shirts or support of 90's music. On the other hand, there are tons of Led Zeppelin, Guns n Roses, Black Sabbath apparael and a generally larger knowledge of the 60's 70's and 80's. Also, most kids listen to hardcore music nowadays which is lame-o to the max. I've only turned one other onto PJ and he considers them one of his favorite bands now, his preferred album is actually Riot Act which is cool.

There are alot of perks of being a young fan though, at the 10/31 show I was next to this guy who was definetely a long time fan and before "You Are" I gave out a large cheer and he asked me how old I was, and also complemented my knowledge of the PJ catalog. I then proceeded to sing along to every song with him.
    Cabbie wrote:
    .There are alot of perks of being a young fan though, at the 10/31 show I was next to this guy who was definetely a long time fan and before "You Are" I gave out a large cheer and he asked me how old I was, and also complemented my knowledge of the PJ catalog. I then proceeded to sing along to every song with him.

I dream of that! I pretty much know all PJ songs, so we're in the same boat- young and obsessed! Man, you were lucky to be at that Halloween show!
    ~not a dude~
  • My 14yr old loves Pearl Jam, but she also likes the JoBro's too (God help me!)
    I'm gonna be 43 and I still find people who act as if Pearl Jam/ Soundgarden never existed. Some people are just not into the music and are not necessarily close minded but it's just not their preference (taking wild guesses, ;))

Now there's another 14 year old girl on my daughters softball team who loves PJ, SG, TOTC, etc! She blows me away, man! Her parents weren't into that music so who the hell introduced it to her? I guess anybody could've but still! Pretty amazing :)

Nina
  • My three year old sister loves PJ
    sweetu4ria wrote:
    My 14yr old loves Pearl Jam, but she also likes the JoBro's too (God help me!)

Now there's another 14 year old girl on my daughters softball team who loves PJ, SG, TOTC, etc!

Nina

I mean, every man to his own, but this just baffles the crap outta me!!!

I can relate to your daughter's friend completely-- I discovered PJ, SG,TOTD, etc at 15 & never have looked back I doubt anyone at my high school knows who TOTD is!
    ~not a dude~
  • samjam10 wrote:
    I can relate to your daughter's friend completely-- I discovered PJ, SG,TOTD, etc at 15 & never have looked back I doubt anyone at my high school knows who TOTD is!

Sam Jam.. Forgive me for not scrolling back, but who introduced you to the music ? And, how old are you again?
    sweetu4ria wrote:
    samjam10 wrote:

Sam Jam.. Forgive me for not scrolling back, but who introduced you to the music ? And, how old are you again?
    It's ok (It's okaaaay :D )
    I am 17 years young!
    A lot of 'research' is done on my own. I have a true passion for music, and love to absorb up as much information as I can. I am a Rolling Stone, RCRD LBL, Daytrotter, and Spin connoisseur. My dad introduced me to classic rock ever since I was born (Meaty, Beaty, Big & Bouncy & Appetite for Destruction were my first cassette tapes at 2 years old, followed by Beauty and the Beast :D )So basically, I've grown up with classic rock. I guess by knowing some bands, you are turned onto others. PJ turned me onto SG, AIC, etc. This is especially true with many of the indie bands I'm into.
    I kinda just happen to really really really love the '90s- PJ, SG, Nirvana, Blind Melon, Foos- all some of my favorites!
    ~not a dude~
  • See, on the other hand, my ten-year-old loves PJ. I took him to his first concert last year, when he was nine. He told his soccer teammates about his experience, and as it turned out several of the boys were fans!

My guess is that it depends a lot on what kind of music the kids' parents listen to. I imagine that if my parents had listened to country & western or show tunes instead of rock music, I would not have spent my entire life being a fan of David Bowie and The Who. On the other hand, our family does not watch any kind of reality television, and I can guarantee you that my kids have no idea who any of the American Idol contestants are.

Yknow i disagree on the parents music mattering alot because my parents were/are huge pj fans since the beginning and so they often played us pj but im the only one out of my four siblings who likes pj. My sister HATES them, my brother doesnt listen to music in general, but luckily my oldest stser likes into the wild soundtrack atleast but not into pj so even though we grew up with pj and nirvana they dont like it
    Even though my mom got me ino pj at a young age i still woulda been a fan if they hadnt been so into the seattle music scene
    I am totally jealoys of themtho they gotta see vintage pj
    Shows:
  • samjam10 wrote:
    It's ok (It's okaaaay :D )
    I am 17 years young!
    A lot of 'research' is done on my own. I have a true passion for music, and love to absorb up as much information as I can. I am a Rolling Stone, RCRD LBL, Daytrotter, and Spin connoisseur. My dad introduced me to classic rock ever since I was born (Meaty, Beaty, Big & Bouncy & Appetite for Destruction were my first cassette tapes at 2 years old, followed by Beauty and the Beast :D )So basically, I've grown up with classic rock. I guess by knowing some bands, you are turned onto others. PJ turned me onto SG, AIC, etc. This is especially true with many of the indie bands I'm into.
    I kinda just happen to really really really love the '90s- PJ, SG, Nirvana, Blind Melon, Foos- all some of my favorites!

That's awesome, because a lot.. No, Most of the music today on the hit radio stations SUCK!! It's quite refreshing to see a young guy (I'm saying that, cuz i'm old now, lol) such as yourself, broaden yourself where music is concerned. And, I can't forget your dear 'ol dad! What a great papa you have ;)
  • Samjam.. I called you a 'guy', assuming by the name sam (my bad). You are a guy, right?

What's kind of ironic is, my daughter's friend that's into the same music as myself? Her name is Sam - K, so I'm weirded out now! LOL
    sweetu4ria wrote:
    Samjam.. I called you a 'guy', assuming by the name sam (my bad). You are a guy, right?

What's kind of ironic is, my daughter's friend that's into the same music as myself? Her name is Sam - K, so I'm weirded out now! LOL
    Understandable, as the name can pass for both, but I am a girl.
    That's weird that we're both Sam's and teenage girls!
    ~not a dude~
  • It all boils down to uncool parents not raising their kids right. It is a vicious cycle of bad music lovers.
    :lol:

I made sure my kid was raised right, and he has great taste in music and goes to many Pearl Jam shows with me now.
  • craigbcraigb Posts: 806
    Brez wrote:

Interesting. I'm 19 and all of my friends mock me for my love of PJ. Doesn't bother me too much, but it would be nice to know someone who enjoys PJ as much as I do.
    "Speak clearly if you speak at all; carve every word before you let it fall"

Los Angeles 10.7.2009
  • samjam10 wrote:

Are you from Syosset, LI?
    sweetu4ria wrote:
    samjam10 wrote:

Are you from Syosset, LI?
    Nope-- from NY though! Too weird!

Did ya see-- you inspired me to edit my siggy :)
    ~not a dude~