Name Your Price for the Next PJ Album?

Chris1401Chris1401 Posts: 354
edited January 2008 in The Porch
http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/earcandy/archives/129281.asp?from=blog_last3

No sources or anything, but I didn't see it posted here. Kinda interesting. I know we had the discussion of "what would you pay for a PJ record" back when Radiohead's album came out.

Sorry if it is a repost.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lephtylephty Posts: 770
    i would probably spend the normal 10$ if there was not going to be a physical release. If i knew that there was a CD also coming out a month or so later, i would get it for free than buy the CD upon its release cause my CD collection needs to be complete!

what they should have is different levels of pricing or something.

free = low quality mp3s
    $5 = high quality mp3s
    $10 = HQ mp3s and a CD in the mail
    anything more could add posters or singles or a record or something. I am sure a bunch of us would opt for the more than $10 range to get any collectibles.
  • 10 dollars
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    lephty wrote:
    i would probably spend the normal 10$ if there was not going to be a physical release. If i knew that there was a CD also coming out a month or so later, i would get it for free than buy the CD upon its release cause my CD collection needs to be complete!

I would do this as well. Maybe pay 15.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    free-$12 (depends if there are bonus songs in the download version or not).

then buy the hard copy release, as I always do with PJ releases.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    If I can tip a waitress $5 for good service, I can tip Pearl Jam $20 for some quality life moving music.
  • CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    I would pay $5 for the early digital release...and then also buy the physical copy for whatever price it is at the store.

I wouldn't want to pay full price twice...but I would be ok with giving $5 for the luxury of getting it early.

I do think if you pay a certain amount for the digital release ($10?) you should get the hard copy in the mail as part of the package.

In this case...I would pay $10 for the early download...no problem. Otherwise I feel the fans are getting screwed.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • smg9779smg9779 Posts: 235
    $10. Then I'd go out and buy a hard copy. I'd like to reward this business model as much as possible.
    Steve

11/18/97 Oakland
    07/13/98 Los Angeles
    07/14/98 Los Angeles
    10/31/99 Bridge School
    10/28/00 San Bernardino
    10/31/00 Mountain View
    10/21/01 Bridge School
    06/01/03 Mountain View
    07/15/06 SF I
    07/16/06 SF II
    07/18/06 SF III
    10/21/06 Bridge School
    04/07/08 Berkeley
    04/08/08 Berkeley
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    i'd pay something around $10.
    But I would hope they release the album in stores after that. I love having a eal cd in hand (especially PJ ones)
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i'd pay 1pence

but i'd buy the physical cd as soon as it came out
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • ONCE DEVIDEDONCE DEVIDED Posts: 1,131
    Id pay what they asked. and not buy the physical. whats the point if the quality is the same.
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Assuming there'll be a physical release as well, which of course I'll buy:
    if low quality mp3 (Radiohead's bitrate was a joke), a symbolic $1.

if V2/V0, don't know, between $3-5, depending on other fees.

flac..well, I'm getting the hard copy anyway, and they'll have to give the option of MP3 as well as flac for people with low connection.

but I liked the Avocado solution: free download when you pre-ordered the physical copy...they could use a p2p-based system, I'll happily keep seeding on it :D..

if there was no physical release :(, then probably $10ish (there'll be a tour afterwards, need to save for that!!)..would get the Vinyl anyway ;)
    Pegasus wrote:
    if low quality mp3 (Radiohead's bitrate was a joke), a symbolic $1.

you've highlighted my main issue with musical snobbery... radiohead's bit rate was listenable and it was a much better standard than some leaked 64kbps shite someone nicked off the radio... and better still it was released by the artist themselves...

c'mon.. why cant we applaud what Radiohead did instead of complaining about the smaller issues associated with it.

it'd be like getting a meal of the worlds greatest food from Gordon Ramsay, served by a naked Jessica Alba whilst sitting in Castle Fuckula and then complaining the gravy was 'slightly tepid'... 99% of the meal is awesome but someone will always complain about tepid gravy.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,060
    I wouldnt go over the top, probably pay what itunes would normally charge (although I've never bought digitial music - it sucks, nor do i download), and certainly buy the physical format through tenclub in an effort to ensure the band profits as much as possible (not sure if they do or not), and hopefully getb the much coller slightly different packaging.

Stillm kicking myself that i didnt order advocado through the ten club, was far too eager to get it and couldnt wait the 6 weeks in the uk it usually takes......if only I bought it again anyway and just had two copies, god I'm thick sometimes!!!
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    dunkman wrote:
    you've highlighted my main issue with musical snobbery... radiohead's bit rate was listenable and it was a much better standard than some leaked 64kbps shite someone nicked off the radio... and better still it was released by the artist themselves...

c'mon.. why cant we applaud what Radiohead did instead of complaining about the smaller issues associated with it.

it'd be like getting a meal of the worlds greatest food from Gordon Ramsay, served by a naked Jessica Alba whilst sitting in Castle Fuckula and then complaining the gravy was 'slightly tepid'... 99% of the meal is awesome but someone will always complain about tepid gravy.
    I didn't care because I only paid £1 (with the CC fee) because I don't even like Radiohead, just wanted to encourage the practice.

but I had been paying a normal price because I wanted it to be my copy, not buying a CD, I would have been annoyed...
    Pegasus wrote:
    I didn't care because I only paid £1 (with the CC fee) because I don't even like Radiohead, just wanted to encourage the practice.

but I had been paying a normal price because I wanted it to be my copy, not buying a CD, I would have been annoyed...

well i can understand that but your post just came across as ungrateful... :)