Verizon Droid Thread

2»

Comments

• yokeyoke Posts: 1,440
    I have a Droid... its cool as I have all my emails from gmail,home email,work emails etc.. Also some cool APPs for it. So far so good. Not a fan of the slide keyboard though, my fingers are to big I guess. I just use the touchscreen one instead.
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    yoke wrote:
    I have a Droid... its cool as I have all my emails from gmail,home email,work emails etc.. Also some cool APPs for it. So far so good. Not a fan of the slide keyboard though, my fingers are to big I guess. I just use the touchscreen one instead.

Yeah, I really see not point of the slide keyboard. When on it's side, the touch screen keys are easy enough to use.

Question:
    Maybe I'm missing it, but are there ring/alert profiles?
    For example. If I'd like to have my ringer on by not audio notification, or can I have set a quiet mode with vibrate without having to go into setup?
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    mca47 wrote:
    yoke wrote:

Yeah, I really see not point of the slide keyboard. When on it's side, the touch screen keys are easy enough to use.

i'm getting better at the virtual keyboard but i like to know if i need it i have a real keyboard...and yeah it's not great, but for me right now it's easier
    mca47 wrote:
    Question:
    Maybe I'm missing it, but are there ring/alert profiles?
    For example. If I'd like to have my ringer on by not audio notification, or can I have set a quiet mode with vibrate without having to go into setup?

download beautiful widgets http://www.androidtapp.com/beautiful-widgets/

i think it does what you're looking for
  • Mine arrives today! Got it for 149.99 with my new every 2.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
    Mine arrives today! Got it for 149.99 with my new every 2.

You're gonna like it.

Very nice phone.
  • ReeenkRoinkReeenkRoink Posts: 108
    Im considering a droid. Anyone else have thoughts on them?
    or any other verizon suggestions?
    Im considering a droid. Anyone else have thoughts on them?
    or any other verizon suggestions?

I've had mine since December and I still think its great!
  • PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 787
    I have had my Droid Eris for a few months now, and I love it. It took me a few tries to get the hang of the keyboard, but now I can use it with ease. Verizon's service has been great so far as well.

Those waiting to pull the trigger...I would definitely recommend The Droid
    droid is super cool...got used to the virtual keyboard so never use the real one...but the camera is terrible...but this is my third moto phone and none of them had good cameras but i don't really care about it
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    HERE'S THE BIG QUESTION:

Do you wish you had an iPhone instead?

I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for an iPhone to get onto Verizon, and I keep feeling like it's just around the corner.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
    CJMST3K wrote:
    HERE'S THE BIG QUESTION:

I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for an iPhone to get onto Verizon, and I keep feeling like it's just around the corner.

rumor has it the iphone will be in it's way sometime this year...do i wish i had an iphone? not really...droid does everything the iphone does except multitouch and browsing and on the hone at the same time

if you use gmail and other google apps, get an android phone...the integration is great!
    CJMST3K wrote:
    HERE'S THE BIG QUESTION:

Not really.

There are a couple things that the iphone does better, but they are pretty insignificant.
    A good number of friends and colleagues of mine have iphones and when it comes down to it, there are very little differences. While the Droid doesn't have AS many apps, it does have as many "practical" apps.

And besides, the biggest reason I have the Droid over the iphone...

Verizon >> AT&T (and I say that as a current user of both - my work Blackberry is on AT&T)
  • StarfallStarfall Posts: 548
    Verizon will never get the iPhone - not after they initially rejected Apple's offer (they were the offered the iPhone by Apple before AT&T) and not after the series of Android ads they ran slamming the iPhone.

And btw, I absolutely loathe and despise Verizon with a vengeance. Years ago, when I was still selling cell phones, I had a reseller line with Verizon. I went over my minutes once and they threatened to cut off my service even though I was a reseller, I had never been late nor gone over my minutes, and the bill wasn't even due for three weeks. After calling them and getting assurance that the service was not going be cut off, I took a long road trip.... and right in middle of the drive, in I-70 in the middle of KS, Verizon cut off my service, a week after they said they wouldn't.

Needless to say, I told them I will never sell their service again, cancelled my line, and told them to eat my bill and the $150 termination fee.

Seven years later, I still haven't paid their greedy, bloated behinds.
    "It's not hard to own something. Or everything. You just have to know that it's yours, and then be willing to let it go." - Neil Gaiman, "Stardust"
  • iamloco724iamloco724 Posts: 1,441
    any of you root your droids..ive been rooted and overclocked for over a month now makes a world a diff makes the phone that much better
    iamloco724 wrote:
    any of you root your droids..ive been rooted and overclocked for over a month now makes a world a diff makes the phone that much better

I'm not even sure what "rooted" means.

You overclocked your phone? How much faster can you make it?
    I feel really stupid for asking this, but here we go....

I am really uneducated when it comes to the whole WI-Fi technology. Does having WI-FI capabilities on my Droid Eris mean I can actually receive the internet while in hotspots and not have to pay for a data plan? I ask because I find myself actually going online with my phone more often in places like my home or at work where the internet is available. So can I cut off my data plan and still have the options of going online with my droid if I am in an internet hotspot?

I am really uneducated when it comes to the whole WI-Fi technology. Does having WI-FI capabilities on my Droid Eris mean I can actually receive the internet while in hotspots and not have to pay for a data plan? I ask because I find myself actually going online with my phone more often in places like my home or at work where the internet is available. So can I cut off my data plan and still have the options of going online with my droid if I am in an internet hotspot?

yes, you can get Internet from hotspots with the WiFi on your android phone. However, your carrier may require that your data plan be mandatory for as long as you have a smartphone. (My iPhone has the same requirement)
    "It's not hard to own something. Or everything. You just have to know that it's yours, and then be willing to let it go." - Neil Gaiman, "Stardust"
    Starfall wrote:

yes, you can get Internet from hotspots with the WiFi on your android phone. However, your carrier may require that your data plan be mandatory for as long as you have a smartphone. (My iPhone has the same requirement)

Ok, I see now. Thanks Starfall for helping me with the question. I am going to look into my Verizon plan now to see what my options are.
    Ok, I see now. Thanks Starfall for helping me with the question. I am going to look into my Verizon plan now to see what my options are.

wi-fi has nothing to do with your data plan...wi-fi is the same as your laptop wi-fi...you set up your phone wi-fi the same as you would your laptop
    norm wrote:

wi-fi has nothing to do with your data plan...wi-fi is the same as your laptop wi-fi...you set up your phone wi-fi the same as you would your laptop

She was asking if she can drop her data plan and just go with the built in Wi-Fi; my response was she probably couldn't because the major companies require data plans to go with smartphones such as the Blackberry, the iPhone, and now the Android.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I have Android on my T-Mogile G1 and its ok. I'd rather have an iPhone though.

T-Mobile will have the best chance to get the iPhone after Apple and AT&T's contract runs up this summer. The iPhone is already available for T-Mobile in Europe and you can rig a US iPhone to work with a T-Mobile SIM card. I know a few people who have done this.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Anyone used the Andoird Incredible?

any thoughts?
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    intodeep wrote:
    Anyone used the Andoird Incredible?

any thoughts?

I'm curious too... my Verizon deal is up in June, and that's what I'm leaning towards now.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I have had the INCREDIBLE since the day it came out

Sweeeeeeet ass phone....nice apps... so far I have only D/L'd free ones

Phone is lightning quick...battery life is lacking I charge it every night but I downloaded an app killer which really helps and lowered the brightness you can get away with not charging if you dont use the web much

The Sense UI I like some things I've read where people want to know if you can disable it..Im happy with it

The touch screen is great.....8 megapixel camera is nice also

Everthing gets synched up nicely with your gmail account or regular e-mail

Open source on the apps is a big reason I didnt wait to see if Verizon was going to get the iPhone

Verizon did try to steal $85 from me on my bill...they F'ed up my bill and were charging me for data and it was supposed to be Unlimited..they corrected it
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    had this lil guy for 4 or 5 years now... no problems... indestructible

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_a727-2378.php

has this great feature: making calls :geek:
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I have had the INCREDIBLE since the day it came out

Sweeeeeeet ass phone....nice apps... so far I have only D/L'd free ones

Phone is lightning quick...battery life is lacking I charge it every night but I downloaded an app killer which really helps and lowered the brightness you can get away with not charging if you dont use the web much

The Sense UI I like some things I've read where people want to know if you can disable it..Im happy with it

The touch screen is great.....8 megapixel camera is nice also

Everthing gets synched up nicely with your gmail account or regular e-mail

Open source on the apps is a big reason I didnt wait to see if Verizon was going to get the iPhone

Verizon did try to steal $85 from me on my bill...they F'ed up my bill and were charging me for data and it was supposed to be Unlimited..they corrected it
    Thank you for the reveiw. I was on the verge of busting out the credit card at the store and the guy was like we won't have any for 3 weeks they are on back order :(
    Outside of the battery life the one thing that concerned me was i read some saying the phone has poor reception itself. Not staying on 3g in 3g areas sitting on 1x a lot. Have you experienced this much with yours? If i'm gonna get the phone i need it to not just be fast when it works, but to work all the time.

Thanks again for your input
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22