Verizon Droid Thread

MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
I received the phone the other day. I am very impressed with the thing. The only complaint I have is the keyboard is a small hassle to type on. The keys are a little stingy to press and arent delineated well from each other.

Aside from that, a very good specimen of consumer electronics. I keep learning/discoving new things every day. Some very good apps already.

Anyone else get it, or on the fence about this?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I still have about 6 months left before I will upgrade, but do you need a data plan for the driod?

I have the Dare and even though it has issues, it does the simple web browsing that I need, and I only need the $15 vpak for unlimited browsing. The pricey data plans were what kept me out of the smartphone market.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    My Verizon contract is up and I really need a new phone.
    I considered the iPhone, but there is absolutely NO way I'm going with AT&T!! I have a Blackberry for work on AT&T and the network seriously sucks!

I've considered the Droid. $199 with a new contract isn't too bad.
    Oh, to the OP...many reviews have said the same thing about the keyboard.
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    I'd jump in a second at getting the Droid Eris ($99 version, touchscreen keyboard) but my biggest holdup is the $30 a month data plan which doesn't include texting. I just can't pull the trigger right now for something that I feel I wouldn't get my money's worth from.... especially since the Eris has Wi-Fi so I can connect to hotspots or my home network anytime, for free.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • chromiam wrote:
    I'd jump in a second at getting the Droid Eris ($99 version, touchscreen keyboard) but my biggest holdup is the $30 a month data plan which doesn't include texting. I just can't pull the trigger right now for something that I feel I wouldn't get my money's worth from.... especially since the Eris has Wi-Fi so I can connect to hotspots or my home network anytime, for free.

That sux about the data plan

My contract is up in 4 months and was curious about the Droid

I've been happy with my service so far I've only had Verizon for 2 years..I get a 17% discount through my work so its a good deal
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • I am seriously considering the DROID. My upgrade comes in December, and my contract runs out in April. I just wonder if I should wait for the Verizon iPhone rumored to be available next year. I need a new iPod too ya see. I think I will go with the DROID though because of the network, and my phone now is seriously outdated. (the original envy)

I am looking forward to getting into the smart phone market.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    you are required to carry the data plan with it. It comes with GPS that works pretty well though, and also I have downloaded a handful of decent apps for free.

My upgrade wasnt due until January. If you call in, they are handing out early upgrades like candy for these Droid phones. They also took an additional $50 off my droid and also gave me an instant rebate, so it cost me about $160 including tax. They also gave me an additional 50 minutes a month.

I was a little nervous because I was happy with my old phone (EnV3) and I also was skeptical of adding the data plan. I have no buyers remorse with this though. Its great.

I just signed onto facebook and it asked me if I wanted to synch my contacts with facebook. It did and now people's pictures show up on my phone when they call and I can also access their facebook pages instantly from my contacts.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Its no iphone!
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Its no iphone!

that's good, I don't want an iphone.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
    I read reviews that said iphone is still a tad superior, but they are very comparable. For me, Id rather have Verizon's service and a slightly inferior phone.
  • MayDay10 wrote:
    I read reviews that said iphone is still a tad superior, but they are very comparable. For me, Id rather have Verizon's service and a slightly inferior phone.

That's the thing with me too... I'd like to have an iphone, but not with AT&T. I started out with Verizon many years ago (back when it was Bell Atlantic Mobile) and at different times tried Sprint and At&T because of some promotion or whatever, and both times went back to Verizon for the customer service and the network. The carriers aren't even comparable in my mind.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i'm glad this thread was made...i've been strongly thinking about getting one...i just talked to a friend who just got one and he loves it...since i've already got a data plan on my moto q that isn't a deciding factor

MayDay10 wrote:
    My upgrade wasnt due until January. If you call in, they are handing out early upgrades like candy for these Droid phones. They also took an additional $50 off my droid and also gave me an instant rebate, so it cost me about $160 including tax. They also gave me an additional 50 minutes a month.

this is good to hear...my upgrade isn't until march and i tried to upgrade at best buy but they wouldn't do it...looks like i'll be going to a verizon store this weekend! :D
    norm wrote:
    i'm glad this thread was made...i've been strongly thinking about getting one...i just talked to a friend who just got one and he loves it...since i've already got a data plan on my moto q that isn't a deciding factor

MayDay10 wrote:

this is good to hear...my upgrade isn't until march and i tried to upgrade at best buy but they wouldn't do it...looks like i'll be going to a verizon store this weekend! :D

I think you have to call. Or try to contact them via their website and write that you would like an early upgrade for this phone if possible... The stores dont seem to have as much leeway to give you deals it seems.
    MayDay10 wrote:

Couldn't agree more!!!

My personal phone is though Verizon and my Blackberry is through AT&T.
    I travel a lot for work and I am constantly amazed at how shitty the AT&T network is. Granted it depends on where you are, BUT because I travel so often I'm constantly running into data/3G dead zones.
    It is incredibly frustrating!
    I will be with colleagues who have Blackberries on Verizon and it's a night and day difference.

So, yeah...
    Even if the iPhone is better, I'd take the better network any day!
  • Service is relative though.

I have an ATT and an Iphone and I've only dropped a phone call in my work elevator. Not one dropped call other than that since I got it in July.
    NERDS!
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Service is relative though.

I have an ATT and an Iphone and I've only dropped a phone call in my work elevator. Not one dropped call other than that since I got it in July.

Same... Ive gotten my iphone in July too and have had ONE dropped call a few days ago for the first time. And the call was from a friend who has poor service (metro pcs) so it was most likely because of him.

If you live in the NY/NJ area, Verizon is no better than ATT. Ive had both and they are both the same.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
    Service is relative though.

You're absolutely right. If you live in a an area that has a lot of AT&T towers/support, you will certainly not have problems.
    As someone who frequents other cities often, I can say AT&T's saving grace was that iPhone. There is no way they'd exist without that popular phone. It really is bad. (I have both AT&T and Verizon)

And even in strong AT&T 3G areas, you still have to fight all the other iPhone user's data streams which will slow you down.

The iPhone is cool, AT&T is NOT!
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    I read that the GPS application is excellent.
    yeah, I needed to pull out the GPS app the other day and it worked real well.

As far as the service goes, I am travelling back and forth between Buffalo and Philly and I usually drive. This drive requires travel through rural PA and upstate, NY. Verizon is necessary for this. Any other service dies. There is just one spot in Northeast PA that I drop calls in. You can even see the area blank on Verizon's coverage map.

Customer service has always been top-notch from Verizon as well.
  • I've been with AT&T for years. I've had an iPhone for quite a while. It has been the greatest piece of equipment I've ever had. Zero complaints about the phone itself. People who bash the iPhone are "taking a stand against consumerism" <--- whatever that means OR they've never had one and don't know what the hell they're talking about. The iPhone's awesome - That's just a fact.

But, like some of you mentioned, the network is shitty in a lot of areas, particularly in the rural counties around where I live. Verizon's coverage map seems to be better for what I need, plus I hear that the iPhone may be coming to Verizon. My contract is now up. The Droid has sparked some interest but not enough to change services yet. I'll wait a little longer and see if the iPhone rumors are true. I just don't believe there's a better device.
    yeah. the reviews say the iphone is still slightly better.

I heard the iphone to verizon rumors as well. They seem to have died out, especially now that Verizon has this Motorola/Google phone. Dont know what this will do. maybe it will decrease sales enough where apple will see the need to make their phone, slightly superior, available to everyone.... instead of relying on AT&T to compete for them
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    I've been with AT&T for years. I've had an iPhone for quite a while. It has been the greatest piece of equipment I've ever had. Zero complaints about the phone itself. People who bash the iPhone are "taking a stand against consumerism" <--- whatever that means OR they've never had one and don't know what the hell they're talking about. The iPhone's awesome - That's just a fact.

But, like some of you mentioned, the network is shitty in a lot of areas, particularly in the rural counties around where I live. Verizon's coverage map seems to be better for what I need, plus I hear that the iPhone may be coming to Verizon. My contract is now up. The Droid has sparked some interest but not enough to change services yet. I'll wait a little longer and see if the iPhone rumors are true. I just don't believe there's a better device.

I would totally get an iPhone if it weren't for AT&T.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
    well i just ordered one...should be here tomorrow!!

:D
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    norm wrote:

Nice! I expect a full review in it's own respective thread. :)
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
    norm wrote:

How much you pay for it?

My phone just died and I really need a new one....
    mca47 wrote:
    norm wrote:

How much you pay for it?

ordered it online and with shipping it came to about $250
    norm wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    norm wrote:

How much you pay for it?

ordered it online and with shipping it came to about $250

That's pre-rebate right?
    mca47 wrote:

That's pre-rebate right?

after...if you upgrade through verizon wireless online you get the $100 rebate...so the phone is $199 + taxes (which they compute from the list price of the phone which is like $500...thanks california!) but the shipping was free :roll:
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    i like my blackberry. I'm considering a droid though.

I may wait a while until the second generation comes through.

i wish verizon had the iphone :( I just like their network too much.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    I just got a Droid today and am very impressed!

I can't believe how fast everything is on it.

Wow!

Very slick!